Finally got to visit the track... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-26-2015, 05:01 PM   #1
Kevin.Cook

Finally got to visit the track...

Finally got a chance to go to a track. This was yesterday at SA Raceway. Met up with "bbowman" to learn the ropes as I have never been to one before. After a few runs, I found I was launching at the wrong time. On top of that, they had the pro lights going. Meaning, all 3 yellows flashed at the same time and then immediately the green light. So it was hard to pull up and get a good brake launch going before it was time to go. Next week, they should be doing the normal lights.

My best reaction time was .7 with the best 1/4 mile time being 13.87. The Texas heat really affects the cars in a bad way. I found my ambient air temp anywhere from 110 to 125 degrees. Even with the car cooled down. 5.0s were running about 13.2-13.5. So the climate plays more of a factor then I realized.

Definitely need suspension and some wider rear wheels. Went 4 out of 5. Lost to a 2012 Camaro RS. Had him for the first 3/4s of the race then he pulled by just half a car near the end.

I can definitely see where getting a transmission cooler can be beneficial. We were constantly having to let our cars cool off because the trans was getting pretty warm.

So now that I have learned the ropes, this next Saturday a bunch of Mustangs will be meeting up at SA Raceway again to go at it. So I will post newer times then.

To be honest, since I swapped out the Airaid CAI and put the stock intake tube back in, I found my initial throttle response has took a big dump. So this next weekend I will be putting on the Airaid Modular Intake tube to delete the baffles and such on the stock tube. See if that helps.

For the last race against the camaro, I waited in a huge line and the car got pretty warm just sitting there. Tried turning it off a few times to cool down but the line kept creeping up so I had to turn it back on.

To see our current mods, check out our signatures. bbowman is still on 2.73s and needs to get his rear LCAs in. Hopefully everything attaches to this post fine.

Here is a video and time slip. On the time slip, I am on the right. In the video, I am in the far lane. I had my window down because it was sooooooo hot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150726_164636.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	188080  
Attached Files
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Curious about the modular tube. That is going to be on my list along with the AFE drop in filter.

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:05 PM   #3
Kevin.Cook

I have the aFe drop-in. So I will let you know how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2015, 05:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
Curious about the modular tube. That is going to be on my list along with the AFE drop in filter.

You can get it at American muscle using the july sale code until tomorrow I believe the regular forum code doesn't work on this item

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:23 PM   #5
rob.james.arias

That is really curious about the RS camaro. Do you know anything about the car, mods, transmission type? I assume since you were in a long line so would he have been. That really would be a mute point in performance. Basically if it affected you it would of had the same affect on the RS.

I recently drove both the SS and RS in the 6sp transmissions. I can't imagine a world where the camaro RS would be faster than your car with all of the modifications you have. The 3.6 camaros don't take well to modification, as in a whole bunch of mods get you very little in return. Particularly the 2012 3.6 was the last year of that motor style before they updated the intake and exhaust manifolds for eficciancy.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:41 PM   #6
Kevin.Cook

Nah i dont know what mods it had. I was hoping to go against a particular 5.0. The owner greeted me before the racing started and i wanted to see where i measured up now.

They had 4 lanes later that night where they were shuffling what cars went against who. The Camaro was next in its line and the guy had it off for a while. As he was off talking to some friends and came back when the guy notified him to go up. Also I had my wife in the car just so she could see what it was like going down the strip.

All in all, it was a fun night. I wasn't expecting to be the best. Just to learn mainly. But that last one I ran my worst time. Even though it was my best launch, i ran a 14.2.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:43 PM   #7
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
You can get it at American muscle using the july sale code until tomorrow I believe the regular forum code doesn't work on this item

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Yea that's exactly what I did earlier today. Lol! Got it for $90.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Could your 3:73's have held you back towards the end?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:44 PM   #9
rob.james.arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Nah i dont know what mods it had. I was hoping to go against a particular 5.0. The owner greeted me before the racing started and i wanted to see where i measured up now.

They had 4 lanes later that night where they were shuffling what cars went against who. The Camaro was next in its line and the guy had it off for a while. As he was off talking to some friends and came back when the guy notified him to go up. Also I had my wife in the car just so she could see what it was like going down the strip.

All in all, it was a fun night. I wasn't expecting to be the best. Just to learn mainly. But that last one I ran my worst time. Even though it was my best launch, i ran a 14.2.
Right on. I have the modular tube, it does help a little.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:47 PM   #10
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
Could your 3:73's have held you back towards the end?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
I dont believe so. If you saw that video of my early race, my car would actually pick up near the end. Thats how all 4 of the first races were. Having a hot lap with a passenger probably hurt me.

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

Yea my initial throttle sucked!
Old 07-26-2015, 06:02 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Tried to tell you to get a staggered set up ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Now your already talking about getting a different set up. :/

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธVote Ox for July MOTM!๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:19 PM   #12
Kevin.Cook

Yea i will get staggered after the procharger. Procharger is first due to the offer extended. Then suspension, and wheels. May invest in a transmission cooler later on.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:21 PM   #13
Kevin.Cook

With 3.73s, the car will shift a 3rd time before the finish line. With any lower gearing, it only shifts twice. That may also hurt me.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:01 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
You got a passenger during the race? That's not cool. People triy to remove seats and other stuff from their car and keep their gas tank a quarter full to reduce weight.

Quote:
I dont believe so. If you saw that video of my early race, my car would actually pick up near the end. Thats how all 4 of the first races were. Having a hot lap with a passenger probably hurt me.

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

Yea my initial throttle sucked!
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:09 PM   #15
Kevin.Cook

Well the last race was just for fun and to take my wife down the track just once.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:15 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Lucky man! Glad to see you have a very supporting wife My wife will never accompany me to a track.

Very nice pull at the beginning, BTW.

Quote:
Well the last race was just for fun and to take my wife down the track just once.
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:19 PM   #17
Kevin.Cook

Yea she loves Mustangs also. She doesnt like my mod habits but in the end, always likes the changes I am doing.

That visit to the track was just a learning experience for me. To learn the ropes and get used to everything. I wasnt going in expecting to master everything and be running under 13.7s all day. Lol
Old 07-27-2015, 04:44 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Super cool brother! Out of curiosity, was that bbowman on the closer lane in the video/slip? Curious about his 2.73 times as I'm waiting on my 3.55s.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:41 AM   #19
Kevin.Cook

Yes he was in the closer lane. He does have 2.73s. I believe with his suspension and meaty rear wheels, he will always get the better launches. But due to my timeline with getting the procharger, the suspension and wheels will have to wait till next April.

I would only lose on the launches. This car picks up really quickly.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:39 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Yes he was in the closer lane. He does have 2.73s. I believe with his suspension and meaty rear wheels, he will always get the better launches. But due to my timeline with getting the procharger, the suspension and wheels will have to wait till next April.

I would only lose on the launches. This car picks up really quickly.

You lost every race! Lol jk no those tires are holding back my 13.9 runs...

Other than that we had a pretty close couple of races, you were around .5 to .3 ahead in times for the most part. Im sure we can get you down to the 13.5 with a good launch.
bbowman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:40 AM   #21
Kevin.Cook

I think that will need better suspension and grip though.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #22
Kevin.Cook

Just went to the track again yesterday. Best time was about 13.80 with a reaction time of just under .5. As far as 1/4 mile time, it seems this will be about my limit until I can get a better suspension and rear tires. Caught my wheels spinning a lot so I left the traction control on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150802_105417.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	713.2 KB
ID:	188527  
Old 08-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #23
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
Just went to the track again yesterday. Best time was about 13.80 with a reaction time of just under .5. As far as 1/4 mile time, it seems this will be about my limit until I can get a better suspension and rear tires. Caught my wheels spinning a lot so I left the traction control on.

What was the weather like that day?
Old 08-02-2015, 12:19 PM   #24
Kevin.Cook

About 105-107.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:29 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I also went to the track this past week.... I live in south Texas so it's very humid and hot.... I ran a best of 13.9 note I have tune cai 3.73 lower and upper control arms sr lowering springs koni shocks adj sway bar and nittos 555..... note the first time I took my car I ran a 13.7 with a passanger all stock except for cai and tune.... I was very disappointed but I was spinning a lot but I ran against a 15 gt and lost by a .1 so eh I think it's the weather and the track conditions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-02-2015, 09:24 PM   #26
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgonzalez1 View Post
I also went to the track this past week.... I live in south Texas so it's very humid and hot.... I ran a best of 13.9 note I have tune cai 3.73 lower and upper control arms sr lowering springs koni shocks adj sway bar and nittos 555..... note the first time I took my car I ran a 13.7 with a passanger all stock except for cai and tune.... I was very disappointed but I was spinning a lot but I ran against a 15 gt and lost by a .1 so eh I think it's the weather and the track conditions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Exactly. I have ranged from 13.8 to 14.2. Same type of reaction time and everything.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:51 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Exactly. I have ranged from 13.8 to 14.2. Same type of reaction time and everything.
Reaction time doesn't count anyway.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:13 AM   #28
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
K,

thx for the thread.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:23 AM   #29
Kevin.Cook

No problem. I hope this serves as a generic baseline for anyone wanting to drag race in Texas.

FYI, it seems stock 3.7s with the 17" wheels, 2.73s, no tune or anything, run 15.2-15.5 seconds in the 1/4 mile here. Whereas, I has heard they run almost .5-1 second quicker up north. Makes me wonder what my car would run if I got it out of this hot and humid climate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11822846_10207466482088009_2005409367993741845_n.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	188576  
Old 08-03-2015, 03:49 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1438634901.919820.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	188592

Well here's my track slip from the track when I went. This was my second time at track and it was about 98 degrees outside I believe. Best I've ran with my car so far.

IG: justaslow3.7
Harm_3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:03 PM   #31
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm_3.7 View Post
Attachment 188592

Well here's my track slip from the track when I went. This was my second time at track and it was about 98 degrees outside I believe. Best I've ran with my car so far.

what are your mods.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:55 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
what are your mods.

MPT tune, Ford racing x pipe, JLT intake, BBK throttle body, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Ford racing 3.73 gears, Aluminum one piece driveshaft, BMR lower control arms, BMR upper control arms, BMR relocation brackets(lower control arms), BMR upper control arm bracket, BC racing coilovers, J&M panhard bar. Lethal h pipe and shorty headers are sitting in my garage just waiting to be installed lol

Old 08-03-2015, 07:09 PM   #33
Kevin.Cook

That's still a good setup though. Bbowman on here ran with me and he has a similar setup except with suspension and ran 13.6. I never knew a good suspension could make that much difference.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:44 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's still a good setup though. Bbowman on here ran with me and he has a similar setup except with suspension and ran 13.6. I never knew a good suspension could make that much difference.

The control arms help a lot I went down .02 with them. I was running around the 13.7 time too without control arms.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:46 PM   #35
Kevin.Cook

I have the rear lower ones. Lol. Doesnt seem to do much by themselves though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang