What Brand Shocks and Struts - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-27-2015, 11:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
What Brand Shocks and Struts

I feel Im getting to the point where Ive done everything I want to do to my car. Now I want to focus on the suspension a bit. So far I only have the Pro Kit and a panhard bar installed. I plan on doing the following in no particular order...

LCA's
UCA for the rear
Shocks and struts
GT 500 mounts
Sway bars
Possibly new springs to go a little lower

I know what brand Ill be using on most of this stuff except shocks and struts. Koni has a good sale going on now so Im leaning towards those. The orange I can get for 370.00 shipped and the yellows are 690.00 shipped. This is a DD, is the adjust ability of the yellows important for a car that I dont track? How are Koni shocks in general? Ive never used Koni.

Now for around 470.00 I can get the Eibach's, anyone with experience in those? Im guessing they would be very good.

Im looking to stiffen the car up and remove as much body roll as possible.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I drove a buddies GT twice who has the yellows and it was a big improvement the 2nd time after he had them dialed in. I went with yellows on my V6 but won't be able to install them till fall.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:21 AM   #3
Kevin.Cook

I am going with Eibachs myself. I heard the Koni struts like to make noise. the oranges at least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I heard noise complaints with Koni orange...
Old 07-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Oh really? I hadnt heard of any noises. Thats why I figured Id ask. I dont want any noise!! That would make me crazy
Old 07-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #6
Kevin.Cook

Hey man, I been dealing with my header tick for over 1,000 miles now. haha. Don't tell me about crazy!
Old 07-27-2015, 12:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I went with all Koni Oranges two weeks ago. I've barely driven my car since because I'm waiting for Koni to send me a replacement Strut. My passenger side Strut squeaks like crazy on every slightest imperfection in the road. Drives me mad.

As far as ride comfort, I don't mind the oranges. They're pretty stiff but comfy.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:13 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Hey man, I been dealing with my header tick for over 1,000 miles now. haha. Don't tell me about crazy!
Lol, I dont do noises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
I went with all Koni Oranges two weeks ago. I've barely driven my car since because I'm waiting for Koni to send me a replacement Strut. My passenger side Strut squeaks like crazy on every slightest imperfection in the road. Drives me mad.

As far as ride comfort, I don't mind the oranges. They're pretty stiff but comfy.

Thanks for the info. I might just spend a little more and get the Eibachs.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:26 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

David my Koni strt (aka oranges) don't make any noise. They ride like stock at small bumps so nice around town ride. Then they firm up quickly. I like to canyon carve up in the mountains and they perform pretty well. I have a 13" JL sub in a box in the trunk so I bottom out every one in awhile if I hit train tracks real fast. The steeda sport springs dropped like 1.5" And are progressive. They also allow a little comfy town ride but when swerving fast they react VERY QUICKLY. My sway bars on shortest setting keep that boat feeling away. When I first bought my car it rolled over everywhere and scared the ***** out of me. I'm used to a firmly planted absolutely no lean or slide sports car. Maybe a little oversteer but not much. Also used to having independent rear suspension. Now, with my set up I'm almost there again with a heavier live axle set up. The braces help a lot too. I think a rear shock tower brace and even better shocks (koni yellows) that I can adjust would complete the package. Maybe take out the sub too lol. Hope this helps
2012 Pony Pkg 3.7 convertible, MPT tuned, 4.10's, Dynotech 3.5" DS, Borla Touring axle backs, BBK 73mm TB and ceramic shorties, Whiteline sway bars and UCA/LCA with relocation brackets, BMR adj. PHB and brace, Steeda CAI, CE frame braces, Bilstein shocks, H&R race springs, SS brake lines, full HID, GT 500 gauge pod with gauges and misc. exterior upgrades
pitboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I've had noises with my Koni oranges ever since installation. I always figured it was something I didn't tighten down or install correctly. Now wondering if it isn't the struts (and some from the shocks, but I am thinking that is something else) themselves. I've been thinking about just going back to stock and seeing what happens, but haven't gotten around to it. With other people reporting noises, I might just buy some Eibachs to replace them and call it a day.

EDIT: Wow, totally blanked. I originally bought Koni oranges, but they weren't in stock and instead got the Steeda Pros. Those are what I actually have. No idea what I was thinking.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:43 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitboss View Post
David my Koni strt (aka oranges) don't make any noise. They ride like stock at small bumps so nice around town ride. Then they firm up quickly. I like to canyon carve up in the mountains and they perform pretty well. I have a 13" JL sub in a box in the trunk so I bottom out every one in awhile if I hit train tracks real fast. The steeda sport springs dropped like 1.5" And are progressive. They also allow a little comfy town ride but when swerving fast they react VERY QUICKLY. My sway bars on shortest setting keep that boat feeling away. When I first bought my car it rolled over everywhere and scared the ***** out of me. I'm used to a firmly planted absolutely no lean or slide sports car. Maybe a little oversteer but not much. Also used to having independent rear suspension. Now, with my set up I'm almost there again with a heavier live axle set up. The braces help a lot too. I think a rear shock tower brace and even better shocks (koni yellows) that I can adjust would complete the package. Maybe take out the sub too lol. Hope this helps
Cool thanks for this info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
I've had noises with my Koni oranges ever since installation. I always figured it was something I didn't tighten down or install correctly. Now wondering if it isn't the struts (and some from the shocks, but I am thinking that is something else) themselves. I've been thinking about just going back to stock and seeing what happens, but haven't gotten around to it. With other people reporting noises, I might just buy some Eibachs to replace them and call it a day.

EDIT: Wow, totally blanked. I originally bought Koni oranges, but they weren't in stock and instead got the Steeda Pros. Those are what I actually have. No idea what I was thinking.

Yeah, what were you thinking??
Old 07-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #12
Kevin.Cook

At least now you can stay away from the Steedas. lol
Old 07-28-2015, 02:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah, I don't know what to do now. Eibachs are still an option, I suppose. I've only had these things for a little less than a year.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #14
Kevin.Cook

I looked on AM last night and the eibach ones were sold out. Might have to check other places.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

They seem to be sold out everywhere I have looked. Estimates for receiving are anywhere from a week to a month.

EDIT: Looks like Stage3 has them in stock and for cheaper than AM. Haven't heard anything about their reliability or anything before though so I am a little wary.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:14 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
They seem to be sold out everywhere I have looked. Estimates for receiving are anywhere from a week to a month.

EDIT: Looks like Stage3 has them in stock and for cheaper than AM. Haven't heard anything about their reliability or anything before though so I am a little wary.

Someone's gotta be our guinea pig

DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:17 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm...there's also a $15 off coupon I can use, making it even less than I paid for my Steedas even after the discount I got on them for the inconvenience with the Koni's being out of stock. If this ends in tears I am blaming you, DiESeven.

EDIT: Awww, the code doesn't apply to a lot of brands, Eibach included. Oh well. It's still $50 cheaper than AM and they supposedly have them now.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:28 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

This is true

Quote:
I looked on AM last night and the eibach ones were sold out. Might have to check other places.
The ones I want are in stock. Im doing GT500 strut mounts.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:32 PM   #19
Kevin.Cook

ahh that is right. so you have to do 05-10 struts right?
Old 07-28-2015, 03:32 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I am getting the distinct impression that purchasing those Steedas was a bad idea and I probably should have gotten some opinions before doing so on a whim.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:36 PM   #21
Kevin.Cook

Hmm, so now I am curious because I want the GT500 strut mounts as well. I was looking at the 11-14 Eibach pro shocks, struts, and springs. But it sounds like these won't work with the gt500 mounts? So what exact ones are you getting? (so I can copy you )
Old 07-28-2015, 04:06 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:

I've order parts from Stage3, great prices, fast shipping, no problems. They're on my top 5 list of places to compare pricing
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:06 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Hmm, so now I am curious because I want the GT500 strut mounts as well. I was looking at the 11-14 Eibach pro shocks, struts, and springs. But it sounds like these won't work with the gt500 mounts? So what exact ones are you getting? (so I can copy you )
Yeah you need the 05-10 struts.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:09 PM   #24
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
I've order parts from Stage3, great prices, fast shipping, no problems. They're on my top 5 list of places to compare pricing
You better not say top 5 if all you order from is 5 places. XD LOL!
Old 07-28-2015, 04:10 PM   #25
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Yeah you need the 05-10 struts.
Then what about springs? I know.... I am noob. I never said I was a pro. lol
Old 07-28-2015, 04:10 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I have Ford Racing shocks/struts with Eibach sportlines. No noises/clunks and very firm. Took an off ramp at 75mph the other day with no hesitation. Felt like it was on rails.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:12 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Then what about springs? I know.... I am noob. I never said I was a pro. lol
The springs are fine. The only difference in the struts is the shaft. Its a little fatter and shorter on the 05-10's.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:15 PM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
I have Ford Racing shocks/struts with Eibach sportlines. No noises/clunks and very firm. Took an off ramp at 75mph the other day with no hesitation. Felt like it was on rails.
Id like to do Sportlines but Im afraid it would be too low and I would scrape. Im on the Pro kit now and it like everything about them,but just wish it was a little lower.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:41 PM   #29
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
You better not say top 5 if all you order from is 5 places. XD LOL!
That was not what I meant, after shopping a ton of places, they usually are in the mix. It always depends on price, shipping and reliability. I was just saying they meet all those criteria. Just trying to help.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 07-28-2015, 05:30 PM   #30
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
That was not what I meant, after shopping a ton of places, they usually are in the mix. It always depends on price, shipping and reliability. I was just saying they meet all those criteria. Just trying to help.
I know man. Just dont see you around much so I gotta get my trolling in when possible.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:45 PM   #31
Kevin.Cook

So the only thing 05-10 you need is front struts? Gotcha.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:47 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
So the only thing 05-10 you need is front struts? Gotcha.
Yup, thats it.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #33
Kevin.Cook

Could you technically get 05-10 shocks also? Looking at kits and hoping to not buy every little thing separate.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:04 PM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Could you technically get 05-10 shocks also? Looking at kits and hoping to not buy every little thing separate.
Rear shocks are common as well.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:36 AM   #35
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
I know man. Just dont see you around much so I gotta get my trolling in when possible.
Regardless of the trolling, the point is, don't discount Stage3 as a resource. Go for what ya know

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang