Need help loosening the front spring nut - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-27-2015, 12:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Need help loosening the front spring nut

I am stuck when trying to replace the front springs of my Mustang. I can not loosen the front strut top nut. Anyone has a good solution?

I tried to bring it to a mechanic and that guy wanted $75 to loosening the nut

Thank you.
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 12:27 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
You need a pneumatic impact to blast it off. Otherwise the shaft spins. You can try to put a wrench on the top of the shaft above the nut but that's a pain in the butt.

It also goes without saying to make sure you have removed all spring tension before you do this.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธVote Ox for July MOTM!๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you.

Are you familiar with using a pneumatic gun?

I bought a 1/2 impact gun and have a small compressor with 100 psi. The gun seems to have no power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
You need a pneumatic impact to blast it off. Otherwise the shaft spins. You can try to put a wrench on the top of the shaft above the nut but that's a pain in the butt.

It also goes without saying to make sure you have removed all spring tension before you do this.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 12:45 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4spd View Post
Thank you.

Are you familiar with using a pneumatic gun?

I bought a 1/2 impact gun and have a small compressor with 100 psi. The gun seems to have no power.

Yes, I have done 4 of these in the last few weeks for friends.

If your gun is weak, make sure it's oiled.

If it's still sucks it's probably time to replace it.

The air pressure obviously plays a part in it but most impacts are 90 psi max. As long as the compressor is allowing 90 to the gun you should be in good shape.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 07-27-2015, 12:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you very much!

The gun is brand new. Do I need to oil it before the first use? May I use regular engine oil?

Sorry for the silly questions. My first time to touch an pneumatic gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Yes, I have done 4 of these in the last few weeks for friends.

If your gun is weak, make sure it's oiled.

If it's still sucks it's probably time to replace it.

The air pressure obviously plays a part in it but most impacts are 90 psi max. As long as the compressor is allowing 90 to the gun you should be in good shape.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 07-27-2015, 12:58 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

You def should have oiled it new and every time you use it. They sell air tool oil at hardware stores like lowes or homedepot but you can get it anywhere you can buy the tools usually. I would imagine any oil will be better than no oil but I don't know what weight the actual tool needs. Might just want to make a trip to the store. Hopefully you didn't damage the tool already by not oiling it. If you bought it at a store I would exchange it and tell them it's defective and get another (not at the same time you buy the oil though ๐Ÿ˜Ž).

Hope that works for you

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 07-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
loosen the spring compressor to put some tension back on the top hat. Sometimes that is enough to get that bolt loose, just obviously don't take it all the way off until you compress the spring again.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you, guys.

To make things worse, now the strut mount plate is in two pieces. I can see the bearing steel beads with lube. Is it still reusable?
Old 07-27-2015, 02:40 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4spd View Post
Thank you, guys.

To make things worse, now the strut mount plate is in two pieces. I can see the bearing steel beads with lube. Is it still reusable?
I dont think so. I dont think it should ever be in 2 pieces.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Weird engouth. I don't remember giving it any force. It just came off as two pieces.

Will this be an upgrade of this?
Ford Racing Mustang GT500 Style Strut Mount Upgrade M-18183-C (05-14 All) - Free Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
I dont think so. I dont think it should ever be in 2 pieces.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Yeah the GT 500 mounts are a really good upgrade...however you have to have struts from an 05-10 Mustang
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It is reusable, but this is assuming you didn't lose all the ball bearings. The top hats arent exactly pressed together, and it is possible for them to separate. Just carefully place the ball bearings back in place, make sure no dirt or crap is in the grease, and reassemble.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
As far as getting your air operated air impact wrench to function properly you need to provide it with the specified volume (CFM) at the specified minimum pressure. Not just the pressure.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:17 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I guess that's probably the reason.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
As far as getting your air operated air impact wrench to function properly you need to provide it with the specified volume (CFM) at the specified minimum pressure. Not just the pressure.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:30 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Big thanks! You saved my day. I was able to put everything back together.

Yes, it is very much reusable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
It is reusable, but this is assuming you didn't lose all the ball bearings. The top hats arent exactly pressed together, and it is possible for them to separate. Just carefully place the ball bearings back in place, make sure no dirt or crap is in the grease, and reassemble.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:05 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
When I did the same thing last year to my previous Mustang, like you, I didn't expect the strut mounts to separate into two pieces. I ended up losing a bunch of ball bearings and had to buy new two-piece strut mounts. When I start working on the suspension for my current car, I'm going strait to the GT500 strut mounts and 05-10 struts, it's best to do that and not bother taking apart the factory 11-14 strut assembly even though my car already has lowering springs. I want different springs anyways as I think the Roush springs the previous owner installed are a little two soft.
Josh_101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang