What causes cupped tires? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-28-2015, 04:20 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Is the 'cupping' on the insides of both tires? Excessive Toe out and/or excessive pos camber will cause the odd wear. Outside of both fronts could be too much toe in or excessive neg camber. Suspension mods + staggered setup, poor alignment and bottom tear tires don't always work out in the short run.
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtmoto View Post
Is the 'cupping' on the insides of both tires? Excessive Toe out and/or excessive pos camber will cause the odd wear. Outside of both fronts could be too much toe in or excessive neg camber. Suspension mods + staggered setup, poor alignment and bottom tear tires don't always work out in the short run.
Yes it's in the inside of both tires.. I will have to align my car tomorrow again and see how it goes. My car has 29000 on it, I don't drag it just using it to point a and b and its only 1.5 drop. Are sumis tires really that bad? Do I have to get new set of tires? I have no problem getting a new tires but don't want to happen this again.

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

I'm running sumis and I don't have any issues with mine

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2015, 06:20 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno View Post
I'm running sumis and I don't have any issues with mine

What suspension do you have?

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:23 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

My mechanic who is a friend of mine looked at my shocks and struts and they are still in good condition he told me that it wasn't my suspension that causing the problem, he suspected that my alignment is messed up. So I'm going tomorrow to my shop and maybe they could adjust it. Hopefully my tires will even out.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:25 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Stock suspension 113000 miles

jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:28 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Did the dealer actually check the front end for weak shocks, loose ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.?
Alignment may add to the problem but I doubt it is the problem.
They checked everything no problem as you mentioned above. My car only has 29000 miles on them. They didn't check the alignment since I told them that I will go to my alignment shop where I did mine originally.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjuan View Post
I have the same tires, same set up and the same problem. I turn my radio up when I don't want to hear it. I'm going to the get them rotated by removing the tires from the rims (on directional tires) and switch them which will allow them to wear more evenly until I get most of my money's worth from these poor *** tires. Then is about investing on some good tires, but getting the suspension inspected by the best guy in town (do my homework first) and repair as need it. I can do some of the work myself and get an alignment by good honest shop. Once I get all of this done, possibly $500 later I will baby my car, no hard cornering, sharp turning or any nonsense like that. then get them rotated every time I change my oil. 3 to 5 ks. and inspect them regularly, because once they're cupped there's no fixing them. This is as good as it gets for a piece of advice.
Thanks for the advice, I will see if my alignment is really the problem and go from there.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:59 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

I discovered something today, do you guys remember about that guy who has a dash cam in his car while he went to the dealership and it captured the guys at the dealership
beat the he'll out of his car was caught all in video. Will I guess I have the same situation and it's all in my dash cam. I don't know what the procedure for test driving a car but it seems like they are having fun reving my car and doing some pull outs.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:05 PM   #44
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Wish I could say this behavior shocked me.

It doesn't.

But since you have it on you dash cam you need to march right in to the dealership and speak with the service or sales manager.

I might even act like you noticed rubber chunks on the wheel well and see what he says before you bust out the video.

Then see how his tone changes. But man I would be furious.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธVote Ox for July MOTM!๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:10 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Wish I could say this behavior shocked me.

It doesn't.

But since you have it on you dash cam you need to march right in to the dealership and speak with the service or sales manager.

I might even act like you noticed rubber chunks on the wheel well and see what he says before you bust out the video.

Then see how his tone changes. But man I would be furious.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Man you don't know how angry I am right now, they are close now so I can't even make a call. Do you think I should talk to there manager?

Old 07-28-2015, 07:15 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

I have a bunch of videos by section what they did to my car, and I also captured the head mechanic test driving it the normal way not reving my car and doing some pull out. You can really see the difference. They test drove it 4 times. Wtf.... One with guy red head, second is he call the other guy so two of them in the car talking about how my car pulls so hard and revving it, they test drove it twice and then last is the head mechanic. Wtf.. I don't really know what to do please give me some advice.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:29 PM   #47
Registered Member

Regular

Yeah dude, you need to go down there and speak with the manager. Don't even bother talking to the mechanics

Best advice I can give you is to keep a cool head. Don't give them a reason to try to change the subject.

I wouldn't go in with demands. Let them make the first move. But if they blow you off, let them know you will call ford customer care and let them know how they treat customers and their cars.

I just had a situation where the body shop manager told me to "get the f#*k off the lot".

I called and it took a few days but they called and offered me all kinds of crap. Just be professional.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 07-28-2015, 07:34 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah dude, you need to go down there and speak with the manager. Don't even bother talking to the mechanics

Best advice I can give you is to keep a cool head. Don't give them a reason to try to change the subject.

I wouldn't go in with demands. Let them make the first move. But if they blow you off, let them know you will call ford customer care and let them know how they treat customers and their cars.

I just had a situation where the body shop manager told me to "get the f#*k off the lot".

I called and it took a few days but they called and offered me all kinds of crap. Just be professional.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
I will do that, I will go after work since I can't take a day off and speak to a manager in a calm manner just letting them know that they shouldn't do that in there customers car. I was wondering if I should post it online and let people see it but I don't know what the legality of that. The main reason why I decided to check my cam cos this morning it was making this chirping noise that it sounded like a bird but it went a way after driving for a few miles. I just don't want something happened to it in the long run. Appreciate the advice man.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Take a breather for now. No point in getting mad/upset right now since you can't do anything about it today. Go and talk to the manager tomorrow and complain about it to him. Not sure what he can do about it.. Maybe offers you some free maintenance or something.

Sucks that they used your car like that..
I never leave my car alone unless I absolutely need to.

2011 3.7 mustang
Eric e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:38 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

IG @Oxford5pointoh

Yeah! Do this! Lol

Just curious what dash cam do you have? I want to get one for my car

2011 3.7 mustang
Eric e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:40 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric e View Post
Take a breather for now. No point in getting mad/upset right now since you can't do anything about it today. Go and talk to the manager tomorrow and complain about it to him. Not sure what he can do about it.. Maybe offers you some free maintenance or something.

Sucks that they used your car like that..
I never leave my car alone unless I absolutely need to.

2011 3.7 mustang
It just sucks that you trusted a company and they supposed to take care of you and not making it worst. I don't need there free maintenance since I do them myself. I just went there since i still have my warranty and make use for it. I am blind sided in this situation. Never knew it would happened to me.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:00 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Cupping is caused by something in the suspension not holding the tire to the road. Typically it's a shock or strut. The wheel actually bounces down the road, which in turn causes the high/low treadwear (cupping). Something simple you can try is pushing the front of the car down and letting it rebound. Seem loose? Tight? Then compare it to a buddies Stang that doesn't have cupping issues. I would start there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-28-2015, 08:47 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
Cupping is caused by something in the suspension not holding the tire to the road. Typically it's a shock or strut. The wheel actually bounces down the road, which in turn causes the high/low treadwear (cupping). Something simple you can try is pushing the front of the car down and letting it rebound. Seem loose? Tight? Then compare it to a buddies Stang that doesn't have cupping issues. I would start there.

I tried this and it's tight, when I had my stocks Springs on there before and it is more bouncier than my after Market Springs.. What do you think it is?

Old 07-28-2015, 09:04 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I had a company do this to my car...and then try to charge me for the damage!

The whole bottom of the car had sideways concrete gouges across it.
Said the wheel just broke all by itself....and bent the axle and broke the rotor and....yeah, right.

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:10 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabman View Post
I had a company do this to my car...and then try to charge me for the damage!

The whole bottom of the car had sideways concrete gouges across it.
Said the wheel just broke all by itself....and bent the axle and broke the rotor and....yeah, right.
Oh man this is bad so what happen? Did they pay for the damage?

Old 07-28-2015, 09:13 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
Oh man this is bad so what happen? Did they pay for the damage?

Long story....they did fix the immediate damage, but my wheels are widened, so I had to use one of my spares for a donor wheel and I was never reimbursed for that.

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Old 07-28-2015, 09:19 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Long story....they did fix the immediate damage, but my wheels are widened, so I had to use one of my spares for a donor wheel and I was never reimbursed for that.
That is down right wrong wheels just don't blow out like that.. I don't know now if I should call the manager tomorrow since I don't want those people lost there job but don't want them to do it to someone else.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:16 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I tried this and it's tight, when I had my stocks Springs on there before and it is more bouncier than my after Market Springs.. What do you think it is?

So, your car is lowered? It was more bouncy with stock springs? What brand springs do you have? Are they correct for a V6?

Old 07-29-2015, 05:18 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
So, your car is lowered? It was more bouncy with stock springs? What brand springs do you have? Are they correct for a V6?

Its the Sr Springs and yes my car is much stiffer than my stock and they are for the v6.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:55 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

In the shop now for re.alignment, do you guys think with the new adjustment my tires will eventually evens out and no more whoobly noise? I just don't really wanna buy a new set of tires when my tires are still in great shape.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:22 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Got it done. My car was still properly aligned. Here's a pic let me know what you guys think of it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1438172515865.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	188239  
Old 07-29-2015, 08:04 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Once tires are cupped, they stay that way. I would question the struts. Maybe they just don't like the springs. They could have internal leaks.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:33 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Got it done. My car was still properly aligned. Here's a pic let me know what you guys think of it.

Like I said, it's not alignment that's doing it.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:37 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
I will call the shop where I have my alignment done and tell them what happened maybe they will aligned it again.

I'm a little late to the conversation, but my stance is if someone/place is incompetent to do it right the first time I certainly don't bring it back to them to fix the problem or give them any repeat business. I may try and get reimbursed some and give them a piece of my mind..... but adios amigo. I apply this to everything, not just car repair.
refluga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:39 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Hope you get everything resolved with your suspension/tires.

....and I'm REAL curious as to the outcome of your dash cam and chat with the service mgr !
As someone else asked....what dash cam are you using ?
refluga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:57 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by refluga View Post
Hope you get everything resolved with your suspension/tires.

....and I'm REAL curious as to the outcome of your dash cam and chat with the service mgr !
As someone else asked....what dash cam are you using ?
Thanks man, so i called the service manager he pretty much listened to me and not really saying anything other than at the end he said thanks for letting me know.. So i dont know if i should include ford customer service for this or not.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:09 AM   #67
Registered Member

Regular

I would call him back and let him know you were not only calling to inform him but you would like to know what he is going to do for you to make it right. If he asks what you want be prepared to answer.

I personally would ask for new rear tires, a full tank of gas and a written apology. Just to start. If he scoffs at you, that's when I would say no problem I will call ford and send them the dash cam video and we can go from there.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 07-29-2015, 09:11 AM   #68
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
I don't drive aggressively either.
C,

I'm gonna have to call you out on that.

I would also check to make sure the hub retaining clip[s were removed. idk if it would cause cupping but it's a simple check
Old 07-29-2015, 09:15 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Like I said, it's not alignment that's doing it.
I know now, i just did the alignement again since the shop i went to told me that we can check it again with no charge. so it might be my shocks
Old 07-29-2015, 09:18 AM   #70
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Look page 2!

Wow, the abuse. You need to schedule a visit with the mgr and bring a copy of the video. See what he does. I'm thinking ask for 4 new tires settle for 2 or you'll post it and make a formal complaint.

Several folks mentioned struts/shocks...are you still on OEM? If so I wonder if that could be the problem.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang