What causes cupped tires? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-27-2015, 03:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
What causes cupped tires?

So iv been having this whoobly noise coming from my tires, I thought it was the wheel bearing. So I went to my dealership to have it checked and they told me that my tires are cupped and i also asked a second pinion with the tire shop and showed it to me and said the same thing. Tires still had good thread on it and its the Sumitoho tires from AM. CAN THIS BE FIXED?

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 03:37 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

Do you get them checked normally? Like balanced., rotated, tire pressure check.

Causes can vary. Tire psi being off, tire balance, alignment, etc. Also driving styles can affect it.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Do you get them checked normally? Like balanced., rotated, tire pressure check.

Causes can vary. Tire psi being off, tire balance, alignment, etc. Also driving styles can affect it.
It was aligned recently about 3 Mos. ago and balance, I can't rotate then since it's staggered, psi is around 35, I don't drive aggressively either. It just sucks that I have to get new sets of tires that are practically still has good thread.

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 03:48 PM   #4
Kevin.Cook

Where did you get it aligned? That might be your first problem. Some places say they balanced or rotated but never did. Cough, cough, Midas and Firestone, cough, cough....

How do I know this? Notated the treads on all my tires before taking it in. Checked the treads after, the tires were all put back in the same spot. Went and got my money back.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Where did you get it aligned? That might be your first problem. Some places say they balanced or rotated but never did. Cough, cough, Midas and Firestone, cough, cough....

How do I know this? Notated the treads on all my tires before taking it in. Checked the treads after, the tires were all put back in the same spot. Went and got my money back.
Oh wow that's bad, I guess we just don't trust anybody now a days, I went with Monroe and showed me the paper after he aligned them and I'm into specs. The tire shop told me that the sumis thread style is prone for uneven wear cos they use hard compound and the way the groove style are. He told me that either by a new set of tires or let it run its life and live with the noise. Dammit..

Old 07-27-2015, 03:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
So iv been having this whoobly noise coming from my tires, I thought it was the wheel bearing. So I went to my dealership to have it checked and they told me that my tires are cupped and i also asked a second pinion with the tire shop and showed it to me and said the same thing. Tires still had good thread on it and its the Sumitoho tires from AM. CAN THIS BE FIXED?

Shunc...What you should ask these guys is what their opinion is as to the cause. And then get second opinions for the cause.
How many tires have the problem?
If the reason for the cupping can be found and fixed (for example bad shocks or worn suspension component) you could get the subject wheels re-balanced and moved to another location.
EDIT: I doubt very much that a bad alignment would cause this problem. Generally a suspension problem.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:59 PM   #7
Kevin.Cook

Just turn the radio up louder man! HAHA

And I was looking at Sumitomos when I get wider rear wheels. Thanks for the heads up!

Now when they mentioned your tires were cupped, did they at least tell you if they were a B, C, or D? Make sure to tell them you aint about A cups.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh wow that's bad, I guess we just don't trust anybody now a days, I went with Monroe and showed me the paper after he aligned them and I'm into specs. The tire shop told me that the sumis thread style is prone for uneven wear cos they use hard compound and the way the groove style are. He told me that either by a new set of tires or let it run its life and live with the noise. Dammit..

Get a new tire shop! I'd say they gave you bull advice. Find out what's causing the problem and get it fixed before even thinking about new tires.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Shunc...What you should ask these guys is what their opinion is as to the cause. And then get second opinions for the cause.
How many tires have the problem?
If the reason for the cupping can be found and fixed (for example bad shocks or worn suspension component) you could get the subject wheels re-balanced and moved to another location.
EDIT: I doubt very much that a bad alignment would cause this problem. Generally a suspension problem.
It might be my suspension but Iv seen a lot of people that run the same set up as mine and has no problem with there tires. I was planning to read balance them but I can't move there around since it's staggered. The guy asked me if I wanna pay 100 bucks to re balance my tires but he is not 100 % sure that it would solve the problem or get new set of tires. If it's my suspension then I will probably do those first like getting shocks and struts and cc plates.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just turn the radio up louder man! HAHA

And I was looking at Sumitomos when I get wider rear wheels. Thanks for the heads up!

Now when they mentioned your tires were cupped, did they at least tell you if they were a B, C, or D? Make sure to tell them you aint about A cups.
Lol good one, he said it was severely cupped so I assume it's D lol.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:25 PM   #11
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
It might be my suspension but Iv seen a lot of people that run the same set up as mine and has no problem with there tires. I was planning to read balance them but I can't move there around since it's staggered. The guy asked me if I wanna pay 100 bucks to re balance my tires but he is not 100 % sure that it would solve the problem or get new set of tires. If it's my suspension then I will probably do those first like getting shocks and struts and cc plates.

I guess you can swap the sides they are on. Not much but it is something.

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

Quote:
Lol good one, he said it was severely cupped so I assume it's D lol.

Time to buy your car a drink then. Sounds like she is a keeper XD
Old 07-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I guess you can swap the sides they are on. Not much but it is something.

Good point is it gonna matter with the arrow pointing the other way? What damage will it cost right.. Lol

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

Time to buy your car a drink then. Sounds like she is a keeper XD
I already got her a drink and fill her up with 93, top of the line drink outthere except e85, she can't handle that.. Lol

Old 07-27-2015, 05:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
If you have the stock shocks still, they aren't doing you any favors. Personally I'd just run them for a while until you get quality shocks. After that it's time for some Smokey burnouts.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
If you have the stock shocks still, they aren't doing you any favors. Personally I'd just run them for a while until you get quality shocks. After that it's time for some Smokey burnouts.
Yes I still have stock shocks and struts, oh well it will give me an excuse to get konis and will tell my wife that it has to be done before the AM show or else we will go crazy driving all the way there with the buzzing noise in our ears.. Do you think like Kevin said I could switch from left to right and vice versa even though the arrow is pointing forward and not backward?

Old 07-27-2015, 06:20 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes I still have stock shocks and struts, oh well it will give me an excuse to get konis and will tell my wife that it has to be done before the AM show or else we will go crazy driving all the way there with the buzzing noise in our ears.. Do you think like Kevin said I could switch from left to right and vice versa even though the arrow is pointing forward and not backward?

If you have arrows on the tires then they are directionals so you can't just switch sides only front to back but you can't in your case because your staggered

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
jeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:24 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno View Post
If you have arrows on the tires then they are directionals so you can't just switch sides only front to back but you can't in your case because your staggered

Fml.. I'm screwed. Don't really wanna buy new tires and it will happen again.. What you guys think I should do.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:29 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Like they said find out what's causing the cupping then go from there

Old 07-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno View Post
Like they said find out what's causing the cupping then go from there

I will call the shop where I have my alignment done and tell them what happened maybe they will aligned it again.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:39 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

That's a step in the right direction

Old 07-27-2015, 07:31 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Post some pictures, that will make this easier. Are we talking front or rear?
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:32 PM   #21
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Sorry man. Too late to the party.

Just kidding. lol
Old 07-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
I will call the shop where I have my alignment done and tell them what happened maybe they will aligned it again.

are all four cupped out?

not many things cause tires to cup
alignment is not one of them

1 type of tire #1 cause
2 not rotated and balanced,needed every 5k,
you can rotate but will have to dismout tires to do it
3 loose plat in ft end
4 shocks and struts

at this point you could maybe true them,you will lose a lot of rubber
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:55 PM   #23
Kevin.Cook

My bad on the alignment piece!

particularly important with independent rear suspension cars.Cupping
Cups or scalloped dips appearing around the edge of the tread on one side or the other, almost always indicate worn (sometimes bent) suspension parts. Adjustment of wheel alignment alone will seldom cure the problem. Any worn component that connects the wheel to the car (ball joint, wheel bearing, shock absorber, springs, bushings, etc.) can cause this condition. Worn components should be replaced with new ones. The worn tire should be balanced and possibly moved to a different location on the car. Occasionally, wheels that are out of balance will wear like this, but wheel imbalance usually shows up as bald spots between the outside edges and center of the tread.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:25 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
They are front here's some pics.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1438046686806.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	188142   Click image for larger version

Name:	1438046696486.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	188143  

Old 07-27-2015, 08:26 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLYDRIVER1 View Post
are all four cupped out?

not many things cause tires to cup
alignment is not one of them

1 type of tire #1 cause
2 not rotated and balanced,needed every 5k,
you can rotate but will have to dismout tires to do it
3 loose plat in ft end
4 shocks and struts

at this point you could maybe true them,you will lose a lot of rubber
No just the two front tires, it just sucks cos im planning to go to AM show. Now I don't know if I should drive it.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:28 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My bad on the alignment piece!

particularly important with independent rear suspension cars.Cupping
Cups or scalloped dips appearing around the edge of the tread on one side or the other, almost always indicate worn (sometimes bent) suspension parts. Adjustment of wheel alignment alone will seldom cure the problem. Any worn component that connects the wheel to the car (ball joint, wheel bearing, shock absorber, springs, bushings, etc.) can cause this condition. Worn components should be replaced with new ones. The worn tire should be balanced and possibly moved to a different location on the car. Occasionally, wheels that are out of balance will wear like this, but wheel imbalance usually shows up as bald spots between the outside edges and center of the tread.
So what I should I do to remedy the problem? If i get new tires would this happen again?

Old 07-27-2015, 09:31 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So what I should I do to remedy the problem? If i get new tires would this happen again?

Man I told you, The first thing you have to do is find someone that knows what their doing diagnose the problem. then fix it.
FYI...
type of tire may accelerate this problem but it doesn't cause it.
rotating does not prevent the problem, only spreads it to the other tires. (There are pros and cons to rotating tires but we won't get into that.)
Old 07-27-2015, 09:38 PM   #28
Kevin.Cook

Question. And this may be unrelated. But isnt it common for the front lower control arms to go bad on our cars? Or is it another part?
Old 07-27-2015, 09:41 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Man I told you, The first thing you have to do is find someone that knows what their doing diagnose the problem. then fix it.
FYI...
type of tire may accelerate this problem but it doesn't cause it.
rotating does not prevent the problem, only spreads it to the other tires. (There are pros and cons to rotating tires but we won't get into that.)
The problem is even the dealership didn't know what the problem, so I texted my friend who is a mechanic and was the one who installed my suspension told me that they probably screwed up my alignment or didn't do it right.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:41 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I can't tell whats wrong in the pic... and what is cupped? Never heard of this
Bama 93 Performance Tune
5pointYoBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:55 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Did the dealer actually check the front end for weak shocks, loose ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.?
Alignment may add to the problem but I doubt it is the problem.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:25 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
At work, the mechanics usually check the front end when it's in the air by pushing the front wheels side to side and on the top and bottom of the wheel, looking for any play. You could try jacking up the front and doing that? I think that's how they check ball joints and wheel bearings

2011 3.7 mustang
Eric e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:40 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

So it seems like this what causes my cupped tires, first my suspension since I'm still running my stock shocks, improper alignment, improper balance since I can't rotate my tires, I'm running staggered set up.

So this is my plan I'm going to be getting koni orange 05-09 shocks and struts, gt500 mounts and new tires. I already have some supporting mods for the suspension as you can see in my signature. Do you guys think it's a good idea.?

Old 07-28-2015, 01:13 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Cupping comes from the tire bouncing. So, wheel balance, worn shocks and loose front end parts or a combination are the culprit.

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:14 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Cupped tires

I have the same tires, same set up and the same problem. I turn my radio up when I don't want to hear it. I'm going to the get them rotated by removing the tires from the rims (on directional tires) and switch them which will allow them to wear more evenly until I get most of my money's worth from these poor *** tires. Then is about investing on some good tires, but getting the suspension inspected by the best guy in town (do my homework first) and repair as need it. I can do some of the work myself and get an alignment by good honest shop. Once I get all of this done, possibly $500 later I will baby my car, no hard cornering, sharp turning or any nonsense like that. then get them rotated every time I change my oil. 3 to 5 ks. and inspect them regularly, because once they're cupped there's no fixing them. This is as good as it gets for a piece of advice.
tonyjuan is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang