Boss springs on 2011-2014 V6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-27-2015, 09:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Boss springs on 2011-2014 V6

I got a set of springs from a 2013 Boss almost for free. Just installed the rear ones and one of the front ones today. Below are some useful data:

- The springs of Boss and V6 are indeed very different. Boss springs are around 2 inches shorter (tip to tip), but much stiffer.

- Due to the added stiffness, my car (14 V6 manual) is raised by about 1/4 inch. Not too bad.

- A lot of people warned me that because the V6 engine is much lighter than the V8 Boss engine, my front end will be raised significantly. They are wrong. They ignored the fact that the Boss springs are shorter. The change in height is negligible.

Finally I am able to find stiffer springs that do not lower my car. I'll let you know how they perform later on.
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2015, 10:58 PM   #2

Region: Canada
This week I just installed a full suspension from a Boss 302. No noticeable drop for now, but I will see later if the springs settle more. The ride is a little more firm, just perfect for the bumpy roads here.
Duro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I ha the FRPP K springs on my Boss shocks / struts. On "1" with those springs the car was firm, but comfortable enough for every day to enjoy it. Going to "5" however would shoot your spine out the top of your head and was really only for the track lol, it covered a pretty wide range of "usefulness."
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2015, 07:26 PM   #4

Region: California
boss springs

I knew the Boss springs would be much stiffer, and I had hoped that they would not lower the car. Since they were only $20 each, it wasn't much of a risk. Just have to get around to putting them on to replace the GT springs I installed in place of the stock V6 springs. The GT were only %5 stiffer than the V6 springs based on spring diameter, height, wire diameter and number of free coils.
v84me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I have installed all of the four springs. The car handles much better at corners now! The riding quality is noticeably firmer, but I like it.

Two questions:

(1) If lowering is so good, why car manufacturers do not make it 1 inch lower when the car is made?

(2) Why no one is selling aftermarket springs that do not lower the car?
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:06 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
My assumptions is the cars are not all sold where the topography is just flat. My feeling is that to make suspension suitable for geographic location is more expense to the company in a car that might now necessarily sale. I would love to lower my Mustang, but then I would never be able to get out of my driveway. Stock springs still bang my undercarriage if I don't creep over the bump at the end of my driveway. I would literally have to use my neighbor's driveway and then drive through the grass everyday FML

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:06 PM   #7

Region: Canada
Most aftermarket springs are sold for the look instead of real performances...

Just at the opposite of the Boss springs, they are made to make the car faster.
Duro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you!

Now I feel really good with my cheap mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duro View Post
Most aftermarket springs are sold for the look instead of real performances...

Just at the opposite of the Boss springs, they are made to make the car faster.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4spd View Post
I have installed all of the four springs. The car handles much better at corners now! The riding quality is noticeably firmer, but I like it.

Two questions:

(1) If lowering is so good, why car manufacturers do not make it 1 inch lower when the car is made? Mustang did for the 2015's

(2) Why no one is selling aftermarket springs that do not lower the car? They do.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang