Taking car in for maintenance with mods - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-28-2015, 07:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Taking car in for maintenance with mods

For those of you with offroad mid pipes, tunes, etc. Do you guys remove the tune and go back to stock before going in to get serviced? I just got my offroad H and need to tune my 14 3.7 but I've read things about tuners leaving a "footprint" on the ecu which voids your warranty. But I'm still pretty confused about it all.

Should I just go ahead and tune it? I'm in Cali so I would like to hear from you guys in CA aswell, and no I'm not worried about emissions/smog cuz I know I'll have to go back to stock for that when that time comes.

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Stevenbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2015, 07:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
When ever you bring your ride into the dealership you should return it to stock, just in case the have to update it for whatever reason.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
When ever you bring your ride into the dealership you should return it to stock, just in case the have to update it for whatever reason.

Sent from LG G3.
That only works for cars that are not modded much. Someone with long tubes and off road x pipe, and 3:73 gears going back to stock tune, isn't gonna roll that well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2015, 08:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
That only works for cars that are not modded much. Someone with long tubes and off road x pipe, and 3:73 gears going back to stock tune, isn't gonna roll that well.

That is true, we can get away with 3.73s but the LTS and offroad not so much lol. At that point you tell the dealer not to do any updates and leave it tuned.
Op if the dealer whats to know if your tuned they can tell. How does your dealership feel about modding? What i did was sat down with my service manager before I started modding and they were OK with it, while this doesn't mean you can do what you please and expect them to just fix a blown motor from a crappy tune per say, but it meant that I could go ahead and tune with some bolt ons without the constant worrying about possible headaches from my dealer.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
What are you taking it in for? Routine stuff?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-28-2015, 08:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
What are you taking it in for? Routine stuff?

Yeah routine stuff. Like today I took it in for an oil change, fluid top-off's, tire rotation (the works package).

Old 07-28-2015, 08:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I'm

That is true, we can get away with 3.73s but the LTS and offroad not so much lol. At that point you tell the dealer not to do any updates and leave it tuned.
Op if the dealer whats to know if your tuned they can tell. How does your dealership feel about modding? What i did was sat down with my service manager before I started modding and they were OK with it, while this doesn't mean you can do what you please and expect them to just fix a blown motor from a crappy tune per say, but it meant that I could go ahead and tune with some bolt ons without the constant worrying about headaches from my dealer.

Sent from LG G3.

I'm not really worried about the tune, I'm more worried about taking it in with a CEL from not having a tune with my O/R H. Unless I go back to stock with that too which I could cuz the it's only ~1 hour install.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

And if I do go back to stock tune, that would be one less unlock with my tuner, correct?

Old 07-28-2015, 08:30 PM   #9
Kevin.Cook

No.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
No.

Then what does an unlock mean?

Old 07-28-2015, 08:45 PM   #11
Kevin.Cook

Personally, i am not sure. I havent got to that point yet. But everytime my SCT device needs updated, i return to stock before updating it (as it suggests). Think I have done that 3 times already and i still have 5 of 5 unlocks left.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
When you sell it to someone else without returning your car to stock. They have to send it in to be unlocked. (Unmarried is the term most people use)

Sent from my #racecar

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
When you sell it to someone else without returning your car to stock. They have to send it in to be unlocked. (Unmarried is the term most people use)

Sent from my #racecar

I understand that but wouldn't that be the same as returning to stock for a routine service?

Old 07-28-2015, 09:00 PM   #14
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

No. You can theoretically go from tuned to stock as many times as you want (as many times as the memory media lasts on the car would be the technical limit, not sure how many thousands of times you could re-write the data).

Old 07-28-2015, 09:34 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
An "unlock" happens when the tuner is used for another car - if you set your car back to stock, then someone uses it to load a tune to their car it will use an "unlock". If you simply set your car back to the stock tune, and only use it on your car it won't register an unlock. When I was doing testing and evaluation for Doug on the 2013 automatic tunes I swapped tunes several times a day as he made adjustments. With the turbo I have data logged and swapped tunes many times as we get the tuning dialed in. Doesn't affect the unlock status at all.

Unmarried is different from unlock. Unmarried means that the car that it was used on was set back to stock using the tuner and it can now be used on a different car.

And yes, even if you set the car back to stock Ford will be able to tell that it was tuned. Get a good relationship with the service writer at the dealership and they will work with you. At mine he always asked if it was set back to stock when I took it in, so that if there was an update from Ford he knew if it was okay to install it. If I hadn't set it back to stock then he would let the tech know that no computer updates were to be done. Of course with the turbo they know when it comes in that it is not running a stock tune.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
An "unlock" happens when the tuner is used for another car - if you set your car back to stock, then someone uses it to load a tune to their car it will use an "unlock". If you simply set your car back to the stock tune, and only use it on your car it won't register an unlock. When I was doing testing and evaluation for Doug on the 2013 automatic tunes I swapped tunes several times a day as he made adjustments. With the turbo I have data logged and swapped tunes many times as we get the tuning dialed in. Doesn't affect the unlock status at all.

Unmarried is different from unlock. Unmarried means that the car that it was used on was set back to stock using the tuner and it can now be used on a different car.

And yes, even if you set the car back to stock Ford will be able to tell that it was tuned. Get a good relationship with the service writer at the dealership and they will work with you. At mine he always asked if it was set back to stock when I took it in, so that if there was an update from Ford he knew if it was okay to install it. If I hadn't set it back to stock then he would let the tech know that no computer updates were to be done. Of course with the turbo they know when it comes in that it is not running a stock tune.

Yup, I've had a long day and mixed up my terms. You are correct!

Old 07-28-2015, 10:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
Yup, I've had a long day and mixed up my terms. You are correct!

Thanks, guys! Looks like I'll be getting myself a tune then! Any recommendations? I've heard good things about MPT's race tune but I'll probably be going with BAMA first because they offer the free tunes for life.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:11 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenbones View Post
Thanks, guys! Looks like I'll be getting myself a tune then! Any recommendations? I've heard good things about MPT's race tune but I'll probably be going with BAMA first because they offer the free tunes for life.

From someone who runs Bama and MPT tunes and have done so for almost 5 years, Bama is a solid choice. I would go with both Bama and MPT once done modding.

Start with Bama and add MPT to your arsenal of tunes but Bama is top notch.

2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:11 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Yeah routine stuff. Like today I took it in for an oil change, fluid top-off's, tire rotation (the works package).

For routine stuff, I leave my car as is (tune, off-road x-pipe). I even left it as is when they warrantied my water pump.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:22 AM   #20
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
put a piece of tape/paper on the OBD port saying "Do NOT Flash" to prevent an ambitious tech from giving you an update.

or buy a fancy port cover.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:28 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Everyone has covered all of the bases....................I've also put something like this on my car;

Diablosport C2000 OBDII Connection Port Cover do not Program Red | eBay

There are cheaper one out there, and it also covers the OBD port.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:17 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Quote:
I'm not really worried about the tune, I'm more worried about taking it in with a CEL from not having a tune with my O/R H. Unless I go back to stock with that too which I could cuz the it's only ~1 hour install.

When I installed my O/R prochamber I put 2 spark plug defoulers in the rear o2 sensor spot and then put the o2 sensor into those, essentially removes the o2 sensor from the direct stream of exhaust and your car doesn't throw a code, been running about 1000 miles so far and all is good for me

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:45 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I installed my Lethal O/R H and it didn't throw a CEL without a tune, is this normal? Lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang