Airbag Recall & Bama Tune - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-31-2015, 07:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Airbag Recall & Bama Tune

Hello

I asked this question in another section and received no traction with thoughts.

When I take my car in for the airbag repair should I return my Bama 89 Performance tune to stock?

I have a Bama Tune ID plate attached to fuse box cover so they will know.

I am thinking about just rolling with what I have and maybe reload my tune when I get it back just in case the dealer re-flashes the car.

Thoughts

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
Roush Performance upgrade-- Tinted Windows
JLT Catch Can--Ford Racing Strut Brace
Flowmaster scavenger "Y" pipe resonator delete
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2015, 07:14 AM   #2
Kevin.Cook

I would call the dealer from a random phone number and ask the generic question "IF my car is tuned, will it still be covered for the airbag recall?" Don't give them any of your information. Make stuff up if they ask.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
^^ It's a recall, it doesnt matter if you've turned your car into a race car. They have to fix the airbag inflator, its not something they can deny like if youre tuned and blow the motor.

Now you might ask if when fixing do they have to flash anything to the computer, because if so, then yes you want to return to stock tune before taking it in.
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2015, 07:34 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
+1 to what mariusvt said.

They can not deny you a recal no matter what you do.

I doubt they wud have to flash the car but it is always a slim possibility so would be good to atleast ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:44 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
This is a good question! Is the airbag tied into the computer or is it a separate system?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-31-2015, 11:14 AM   #6

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
This is a good question! Is the airbag tied into the computer or is it a separate system?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
gowa69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:18 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Tied in with computer but swapping inflators out won't change the computer at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:18 AM   #8

Region: Georgia
In the airbag recall they only replace the module in the steering column. Has nothing to do with computer. I have a tune in my 07 and the air bag inflator was replaced without involving the PCM.
gowa69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:26 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I'll be calling tomorrow for the same situation.... I'll post what I find out
Sterling_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:32 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have had my car tuned and TOLD them tuned and not to flash. Between my two Mustangs (2011 GT anf 2013 GT) they have covered, differential leak, water pump and some ignition issue. Tune does NOT void a warranty... it just allows them to turn down work if the tune caused it. And they would have to prove that if you took it to court.

That said BTW it is recall not warranty. If you were full blown and at 200,000 they have to fix
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:51 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Yeah, I'm wondering if they'll let me bring in the module and trade it so I can swap it myself. Not a fan of bringing it to the dealer
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:24 PM   #12
Staff

Regular
Staff

If the dealer re-flashes your car won't that make the tuner angry and requiring you to unlock it ($!) to put the tune back in (assuming you didn't go back to stock 1st).
Old 07-31-2015, 12:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
If the dealer re-flashes your car won't that make the tuner angry and requiring you to unlock it ($!) to put the tune back in (assuming you didn't go back to stock 1st).

I believe that is correct. If possible you should return it to stock just in case they find some reason to flash it. Or put tape or a sign on the port warning them not to flash it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:06 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It is wise to put it back to stock tune - because

When they check the serial (VIN) number on your car. It May have something that says the computer needs an update.
If it is for emissions , The dealer is required to update.
When they do ,You will lose your tune and not be able to put it back in when you get back home. It will cost you $$$$$$ so it is just a good idea to take it in untuned.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:06 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
Yeah, I'm wondering if they'll let me bring in the module and trade it so I can swap it myself. Not a fan of bringing it to the dealer
Ford has to do the work...................Dealer has to send paperwork back to Ford that proves they replaced the bag.....................NO!, you will not be able to replace it yourself.................good try though!
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:12 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

I have one of these on my car at all times. When I go into the dealer for any work I make sure it is written on the service order............that I don't want them to do anything to the ECU without them calling you first.............................

Diablo C2000 OBD II Port Cover | eBay
Old 07-31-2015, 01:32 PM   #17
Staff

Regular
Staff

+1 on writing it on service request, but even more important is some type of lock (or simple tape & sign on obd port). I still suggest going back to stock if it will run ok with stock tune. I know not all cars will depending on how much work you have done with them
Old 07-31-2015, 01:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Just got my recall today, they will replace the driver airbag inflator, who knows when the parts will be available. When it eventually goes in for the recall I'll be putting mine back to stock just in case.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:44 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Just change the tune back to stock... Why worry about the consequences when you don't have to????? You know he is going to have to disconnect the battery and for sure hell see the nameplate. You don't know what kind of a$$hole that tech might be, he may just make a note on your records for future reference!!!

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:45 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

I also got my piece of paper saying they were working the problem with their suppliers and will let us know when they have parts.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:57 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I have one of these on my car at all times. When I go into the dealer for any work I make sure it is written on the service order............that I don't want them to do anything to the ECU without them calling you first.............................

Diablo C2000 OBD II Port Cover | eBay
Here is another one. About 1/2 the price.

"Do not Flash" OBD2 Port Plug Cover Dealer Warning Tuner Programmer Red | eBay
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:35 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

If I bring in my '07 Shelby that has a tune from Shelby will they still flash my ecu and if they do will they put the Shelby tune back on?
GTgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:27 AM   #23
Staff

Regular
Staff

If they flash your tune it's doubtfull they will go back to stock...this is why we are suggesting some type of lock (even tape) on the OBD port. I doubt they will flash it but it's easy enough to try and prevent it.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:11 AM   #24
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

American Muscle sells this

Bama Performance Mustang OBDII Port Cover - Free Shipping

Still, Be sure to tell them not to update your computer.
If emissions related - The Federal law say's it must be done so just bring you tuner with you.
I'm sure this would probably only pertain to 2015's now because the 14's and older are already emissions compliant.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang