Back up camera help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-01-2015, 04:46 PM   #1
rob.james.arias

Back up camera help

Hey all, need some help.

Im installing an aftermarket backup camera. I need a switched 12v power source that is active when the car is in reverse. The directions say splice into reverse bulb wiring. Sounds easy right?

I need to know what color wire from the tail light controls the reverse bulb. This would help me a great deal. There are 6 wires from the taillight assembly, before I start cutting one at a time to figure it out I was hoping someone might know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2015, 09:42 PM   #2
rob.james.arias

Only had to cut 4 of the 6 wires to figure it out... BLUE is the 12v+ for the reverse light.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:30 PM   #3
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Dude, there's such a thing as a multimeter. All you had to do was disconnect one of the tail lights connectors check for power there if you couldn't find a schematic by searching online. There was no need to cut all of those wires.

And you only have us 4 hours on a Saturday for someone to respond. Patience is a virtue.

Hopefully you don't have any electrical issues with your tail lights down the road.

Sent from the Death Star.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2015, 11:36 PM   #4
rob.james.arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
Dude, there's such a thing as a multimeter. All you had to do was disconnect one of the tail lights connectors check for power there if you couldn't find a schematic by searching online. There was no need to cut all of those wires.

And you only have us 4 hours on a Saturday for someone to respond. Patience is a virtue.

Hopefully you don't have any electrical issues with your tail lights down the road.

Its all good, thanks for the lecture DAD. Just kidding, though it wasn't a big deal. Used wire clamps to put everything back together the same as someone would on a $2,000 audio system.

I am sure you can relate when you want something done there is no such thing as patience. On a side note I wasn't expecting an immediate response, I just decided to go for it and share here.

I searched google for about 3 hours for a wiring schematic; don't believe one exists online. There are plenty for the 2011 and 2012 however the wiring colors and number of wires are different for the 2013 and 2014.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:54 PM   #5
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Is your backup camera working? Because if you were cutting wires, watching for the reverse light to go out, you may have cut the ground wire, not the 12V wire for the reverse lights. And I hope by wire clamps, you mean actual wire splices and not those clamp on splices, because they are absolute crap. Half the time, they don't cut through the insulation.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:55 PM   #6
rob.james.arias

Lights and camera are working and used actual wire splices.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:58 PM   #7
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.james.arias View Post
I am sure you can relate when you want something done there is no such thing as patience.
Wrong. I never put "getting it done" above getting it done RIGHT. I always make sure I know what I'm doing before I mod my car, much less start cutting into wires all willy nilly.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:35 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I'd still recommend the OP buy a multimeter for future use...the cheap ones can be had virtually anywhere and are "good enough" for occasional use. If you use one frequently, probably worth finding a used Fluke DMM.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:23 AM   #9
rob.james.arias

Quote:
Wrong. I never put "getting it done" above getting it done RIGHT. I always make sure I know what I'm doing before I mod my car, much less start cutting into wires all willy nilly.
Ok, let's calibrate. What I did was not wrong just because it wasn't "your way". I"make sure I know what I'm doing" lol... "All willy nilly"? Not hardly l, I used a scientific approach based on logic to solve a problem. Your a trip, I'm just not willing to let you speak down at me further because you don't agree with my choice. I am sure I didn't ruin my car by cutting and properly splicing wires.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Rob, I have to agree somewhat with whodat. Even a 5.00 test light could have helped you to avoid cutting wires on a factory wire harness on a taillight. I think I can speak for whodat since I feel like by reading his posts he was just trying to impress upon you the importance of how these wires are connected. Those wire splices no matter which ones you used are complete crap. The only way to connect these back how they should be would be to solider them and cover with heat shrink. Those connectors may seem fine now but after a few years (could be sooner could be later) they will fail. The vibrations caused by thousands of miles worth of diving will eventually take its toll on those. One day someone who owns the car will discover that when his taillight isn't working and have to fix it.

Anyway, don't get upset. Would you really prefer we say nothing if you were doing something that someone in here knew could be done better or correctly?
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:53 AM   #11
rob.james.arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Rob, I have to agree somewhat with whodat. Even a 5.00 test light could have helped you to avoid cutting wires on a factory wire harness on a taillight. I think I can speak for whodat since I feel like by reading his posts he was just trying to impress upon you the importance of how these wires are connected. Those wire splices no matter which ones you used are complete crap. The only way to connect these back how they should be would be to solider them and cover with heat shrink. Those connectors may seem fine now but after a few years (could be sooner could be later) they will fail. The vibrations caused by thousands of miles worth of diving will eventually take its toll on those. One day someone who owns the car will discover that when his taillight isn't working and have to fix it.

Anyway, don't get upset. Would you really prefer we say nothing if you were doing something that someone in here knew could be done better or correctly?

You are spot on and appreciate the feedback. I soldered the wires just now, that was a great point and easy solution.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:18 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Its all good, thanks for the lecture DAD. Just kidding, though it wasn't a big deal. Used wire clamps to put everything back together the same as someone would on a $2,000 audio system.

I am sure you can relate when you want something done there is no such thing as patience. On a side note I wasn't expecting an immediate response, I just decided to go for it and share here.

I searched google for about 3 hours for a wiring schematic; don't believe one exists online. There are plenty for the 2011 and 2012 however the wiring colors and number of wires are different for the 2013 and 2014.

Just throwing this out there. If someone is using wire crimps on a 2000$ sound system. Than there truly not installing a 2000$ system and is a complete joke

Wire crimps change signal quality and drop signal off. All audio connections should be done by either a double twist wrap connection or by solder.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:45 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Agreed. I like to do a lineman's splice, flood with solder, then do shrink tubing.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:56 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:

+1 as long as you know you're not going to mess it up.
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:08 PM   #15
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Wasn't trying to talk down to you. It was just the Aircraft Electrician in me that was freaking out about someone who thought that just cutting wires until the light went out was a good idea. It's not MY way, it's the way I was taught based off wiring regulations and standards. There's more to wiring than most people think, especially something as crucial as a tail light.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:23 AM   #16
rob.james.arias

Quote:
Wasn't trying to talk down to you. It was just the Aircraft Electrician in me that was freaking out about someone who thought that just cutting wires until the light went out was a good idea. It's not MY way, it's the way I was taught based off wiring regulations and standards. There's more to wiring than most people think, especially something as crucial as a tail light.

I totally get it, that makes a lot of sense. I went back and soldered the wires and am just wrapping up on my stereo system as well.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:55 AM   #17
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

That's good. Did you get a chance to test out your backup camera?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang