Manual Mustang V6 not going into 1st from neutral. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #1

Region: California
Manual Mustang V6 not going into 1st from neutral.

Hello fellow mustang drivers, my name is Felipe and I bought my 2011 mustang used from Carmax about 14 months ago, it was only previously owned by one driver. The past few months, I have been having trouble with shifting into first gear from neutral. At first, it was just a tight fit, but now, it seems like its blocked. In order to enter the gear, I either have to press the clutch, an press the shifter to the left a couple of times until the gear slips into first. Or I have to slip it into 2nd gear and then into first. I recently got my clutch and flywheel replaced about a month ago, but the problem has been happening before the replacement. Everything else is stock except for a Airaid intake. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
golcarfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2015, 01:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
do a search on MT82 transmission ford mustang and you will see thousands of posts and issues. From 1500 miles I had the same issue. I had the same issue.

I replaced everything except the gearbox with aftermarket i.e braided clutch line, whittline trans mount, Spec stage 2 aluminum flywheel and clutch, throwout bearing, Barton shifter bracket, MGW shifter and even the rear gears and an aluminum driveshaft all before 13,000 and I still get a tough first gear sometimes but very rare it clashes and grinds when the clutch is let out. Ford said it was normal lol. I just went with my motto of never replace with stock. 2013 model. I only have about 15,000 on it now.

Ford didnt even take the trans out of the car and when we did we found a leaking throwout bearing so that did stop a lot of the issue I had. Maybe start there IDK.

2011 was the first year for that transmission so they had a ton of them that had issues in the 5.0 and quite a few in the 3.7 too.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Could just be bad syncros.

Honestly on a manual trans it can be a lot of small things.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2015, 06:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Mine does that to! I just thought it was normal, and i always bring it down to second before first anyways. Changed the fluid in it yet? I used the Redline MTL, and it smoothed it out, the biggest change was its not crunchy in first and second anymore. I dont know, worth a try.

2012 Mustang V6,
3:73's, Airaid Intake, Dynomax VT Exhaust, Hotchkis Stage 1 kit, Hopes and Dreams injection.
Meaningoflife90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Sounds like your clutch is not completely disengaging. There was an issue with some flywheels having the pressure plate bolts backing out. Dealer could check pretty easy on a lift. I believe there is TSB on the issue..
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #6
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
+1 on checking the tsb also on some aftermarket shifters the reverse lockout may need to be adjusted.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:25 PM   #7

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
do a search on MT82 transmission ford mustang and you will see thousands of posts and issues. From 1500 miles I had the same issue. I had the same issue.

I replaced everything except the gearbox with aftermarket i.e braided clutch line, whittline trans mount, Spec stage 2 aluminum flywheel and clutch, throwout bearing, Barton shifter bracket, MGW shifter and even the rear gears and an aluminum driveshaft all before 13,000 and I still get a tough first gear sometimes but very rare it clashes and grinds when the clutch is let out. Ford said it was normal lol. I just went with my motto of never replace with stock. 2013 model. I only have about 15,000 on it now.

Ford didnt even take the trans out of the car and when we did we found a leaking throwout bearing so that did stop a lot of the issue I had. Maybe start there IDK.

2011 was the first year for that transmission so they had a ton of them that had issues in the 5.0 and quite a few in the 3.7 too.
Yea, I've been reading a lot about it in the past few weeks. I replaced the stock clutch and flywheel with a Spec version from American Muscle and also replaced the throwout bearing. I wonder if the thowout bearing that I got was faulty. Is there anyway to check it without having to lower the transmission and removing the clutch and flywheel? I was thinking into replacing both the shifter bracket and the shifter with a nice aftermarket one, hoping that would solve the problem. I have read in a couple of forums that the stock shifter bracket is complete crap and could twist and cause the problems that I am experiencing. Even thought going from second to first to get the car started works most of the time, I sometimes have a hard time going into second gear. All only from neutral. Once the car is moving, even slightly, the car tends to shift like normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
Could just be bad syncros.

Honestly on a manual trans it can be a lot of small things.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Yea, the more I read about it, the more I see that it has a lot of problems. I don't think that it would be the syncros, given that I only have the problem when moving into gear from neutral. I feel that if it was the syncros, it would be a problem going into gear always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaningoflife90 View Post
Mine does that to! I just thought it was normal, and i always bring it down to second before first anyways. Changed the fluid in it yet? I used the Redline MTL, and it smoothed it out, the biggest change was its not crunchy in first and second anymore. I dont know, worth a try.
Yea, I'm looking into changing the fluids. Did you change the transmission fluid yourself or did you take it to the shop? And if you did it yourself, was it difficult to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtmoto View Post
Sounds like your clutch is not completely disengaging. There was an issue with some flywheels having the pressure plate bolts backing out. Dealer could check pretty easy on a lift. I believe there is TSB on the issue..
I skimmed the web a little for TSB for the Spec cluthc/flywheel system that I bought but didn't find anything that was relevant to my problem, but I'll dig a little deeper. I'll also look into clutch disengaging problems and see if that could be the possible cause. What would be some other symptoms of the clutch not completely disengaging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
+1 on checking the tsb also on some aftermarket shifters the reverse lockout may need to be adjusted.
I looked into the reverse lookout system and I don't believe that that is the problem. If the reverse lockout was sticking out too far to cause the troubled shifting, it would occur at any time of the shifting process, both while stopped and while moving. But my problem seems to occur only while the car is stopped. When the car is moving, even sligthly, the car shifts into first gear and all of the other gears with ease.

Thank you so much for all of the help and all of the advice guys, I really appreciate it!
golcarfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:58 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
There's also a lockout that wont let you into first over like 10 mph, are you sure you're not fighting with that?
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
It wasnt hard, just do yourself a favir and buy that fluid transfer pump from like oreillys! Its not hard at all!

2012 Mustang V6,
3:73's, Airaid Intake, Dynomax VT Exhaust, Hotchkis Stage 1 kit, Hopes and Dreams injection.
Meaningoflife90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Heal toe, brake and gas. Blip the throttle on down shifts. Tough for us old guys..rev matching helps every where. When coming to a stop, just a few feet before the car stops I slide her into first. I usually start in second. 1st gear with my 3.73s is for launching and impressing normal people....
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:38 PM   #11

Region: Arizona
Just a thought to check out--the clutch is hydraulic using fluid from the brake reservoir. Make sure the fluid level is right, and check for air in the line. Might need to be bled.
kipschitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I thought this was normal for all manual cars. Every manual car I've driven has done this with first gear and reverse. Only pops in after the car moves like a fraction of an inch. Always thought it was due to the transmission fluid settling after a while which makes it tougher to align with the synchro. That was just my thought though, there is no research behind it lol

Sent from my Mustang.
iantrusive is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang