Stock vs tuned - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-03-2015, 12:39 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Yahoo to roushMarlon831
Stock vs tuned

How much faster is a stock mustang vs a tuned one?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
roushMarlon831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2015, 01:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It's like an entire different car. I would never go back stock compared to how my car performs tuned. I don't know exactly how much faster but it is faster of course.

2013 Premium Performance White

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripe, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows, all lights tinted

Last Mod: Bama 91 Race Tune

IG: chaznungaray

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:22 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I no for a fact that I'll never go back to stock haha but I want to know how much faster it is. Could it be a big big difference ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2015, 01:30 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You're wanting like before and after times? Of 0-60 and/or 1/4 mile?

2013 Premium Performance White

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripe, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows, all lights tinted

Last Mod: Bama 91 Race Tune

IG: chaznungaray

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:30 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
About 0.3 to 0.4 sec faster for a tuned at 0-60 and 1/4 mile respectively.
Probably should have mentioned that these are theoretical numbers from an on-line calculator and based on car weight and HP only.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Is that a big differenc?

Old 08-03-2015, 08:03 AM   #7
Kevin.Cook

Here in Texas, where it is usually 102-108 degrees in the summer. A stock car with the basic 17" wheels runs 15.2-15.5 in the 1/4 mile all day long. A tuned one will get about 14.5-14.8. Of course, a lot of things can affect these times. Such as how long the car has been sitting there and warming up before you pull up to the line. As well as launch/spin.

My best times are when my car has had time to cool off and the trans is around 160 degrees when I pull up to the line. If it gets to 175-180 degrees which seems to be the normal operating temp once it is fully warmed up, I run almost a half second slower. (14.2 vs 13.8 when cooled off)

Every state has a different climate and sea level so these exact numbers probably won't apply to everyone. But it gives an idea.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:09 AM   #8
Kevin.Cook

Here ya go. I made this for everyone's enjoyment. And yes, it is an Auto, and yes, it is my car. lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11822846_10207466482088009_2005409367993741845_n.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	188572  
Old 08-03-2015, 08:15 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roushMarlon831 View Post
Is that a big differenc?

That's a matter of opinion.
In my opinion, it is not, particularly when you consider how much it can fluctuate based on many other factors.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:22 AM   #10
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
That's a matter of opinion.
In my opinion, it is not, particularly when you consider how much it can fluctuate based on many other factors.
Yup. And you don't realize this or take it in to consideration until you have visited the track personally to experience it. lol
Old 08-03-2015, 09:22 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
[QUOTE=Chaz12;2270362]It's like an entire different car. I would never go back stock compared to how my car performs tuned. I don't know exactly how much faster but it is faster of course.

Completely agree. It's not only quicker but so much more responsive and shifts better. I think if your car does not become faster it's most likely due to wheel spin.
Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:13 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I returned my car back to stock after awhile of running a tune on it and drove it for a few hundred miles just to feel the difference. Due to our adaptive ECUs, it takes about 50 miles for the computer to fully learn the tune. I was surprised how sluggish it felt on the stock tune. Not to mention, the tune really wakes up all the other mods I've done. Tune was the top 3 best performance mods I've done.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
You will definitely see a difference from HP, Torque & driveability ... they all factor into the benefits of a tune. Steeda makes safe, reliable & powerful tunes. We won't make the claim we are the most powerful ... but we are certainly one of the safest that offers that nice compliment safety.

You will be happy when you make the change!

Here are some reviews of customers & when they ran our tune - you can check out some of our reviews here:

SCT X4 Mustang Tuner w/ Steeda Certified Tunes 388-7015 | Free Shipping!

Here is a great review from PowerWhee:

So I will preface this by saying that I have not had any other tune on my car other than this one and that I haven't driven the tune for longer than ten minutes because I had a mid term exam I just finished for my political science class. BUT I got to load the 91 octane tune and take it out for a little and it's very nice.

The car started up fine and there were no problems at all with the idle. It was as steady as it's always been. I walked to the exhaust pipes and it seemed like the sound was amplified a little compared to before when I wouldn't be able to hear my car idling at all before the tune, I could hear a low grumble after. I backed out of my parking spot and took it for a spin.

The throttle response isn't as touchy as I was thinking it would be, it doesn't break the tires loose when your in Drive with the nannies on like some people said the xxx tune does. But I think this would get annoying because the shifts are plenty firm. The power increase is definetly there, under 3 thousand rpm now you get a nice pull compared to literally nothing before. When I floored it the pull was immediate, I didn't have to wait until it hit 4 thousand rpm for pull, it happened right from 2k and the power build up is very smooth and impressive.

Initially I was a little disappointed that I wasn't breaking traction in drive just normally driving around. BUT then I turned T/C off, did a launch at about 2000 RPM, what I usually launch at, and I spun through all of first gear laying down 2 tire marks that were about 15 feet long, I shifted and literally fish tailed into second, continuing to spin until I left off.

I was amazed by that, because before I would get a tiny chirp and than the LSD would catch it right away. There was no traction at all this time and I was doing the exact same launch I have always done with the stock tune.

Than I did a couple of rolls from 20 mph and the more I drove it felt like the faster the car got. By the last roll on I did I chirped as I was going 20 MPH and floored it and than chirped again shifting into second gear. The rev limiter isn't totally lifted, it's still in the 7200 RPM range, but I feel like that is plenty fine. Also the CAI and engine seem louder than before. It seems like the CAI is now sucking in alot more air than it used to.

I'm going to take the car out now for another little spin and report back with more of my observations. I feel like this tune CAN definetly be a little bit more aggressive, but for what I wanted, a every day 91 octane tune with nice power increases, I couldn't have asked for more.

I'll be racing my friend with his tuned 335i from a 20mph roll on tonight. When I wasn't tuned he beat me by a little more than half a car length. I think I'll get him this time.

And STEEDA was nothing but great with me. I contacted them through the live chat and got a prompt, friendly, and professional response to all of my questions.
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Reason why I asked is because a friend of mine with an 04infinity with only an intake took out a stock mustang 2014 v6. That infinity only has 280hp stock and that's not even to the wheels

Old 08-03-2015, 12:05 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

So I wanted to know if a tuned one had a chance ?

Old 08-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Reason why I asked is because a friend of mine with an 04infinity with only an intake took out a stock mustang 2014 v6. That infinity only has 280hp stock and that's not even to the wheels

Driver mod maybe?

Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:12 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Infinity is stick and the mustang is auto. Idk if driver mod had anything to do with it

Old 08-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Stock vs tuned

From what I understand the stock tune on a auto mustang is pretty poor. If assume the tune would improve the Mustangs chances. Also the gearing on both vehicles will be a factor.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #19
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
From what I understand the stock tune on a auto mustang is pretty poor. If assume the time would improve the Mustangs chances. Also the hearing on both vehicles will be a factor.

Darn those vehicles. Hate when they go deaf...
Old 08-03-2015, 01:37 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
You will definitely see a difference from HP, Torque & driveability ... they all factor into the benefits of a tune. Steeda makes safe, reliable & powerful tunes. We won't make the claim we are the most powerful ... but we are certainly one of the safest that offers that nice compliment safety.

You will be happy when you make the change!

Here are some reviews of customers & when they ran our tune - you can check out some of our reviews here:

SCT X4 Mustang Tuner w/ Steeda Certified Tunes 388-7015 | Free Shipping!

Here is a great review from PowerWhee:

So I will preface this by saying that I have not had any other tune on my car other than this one and that I haven't driven the tune for longer than ten minutes because I had a mid term exam I just finished for my political science class. BUT I got to load the 91 octane tune and take it out for a little and it's very nice.

The car started up fine and there were no problems at all with the idle. It was as steady as it's always been. I walked to the exhaust pipes and it seemed like the sound was amplified a little compared to before when I wouldn't be able to hear my car idling at all before the tune, I could hear a low grumble after. I backed out of my parking spot and took it for a spin.

The throttle response isn't as touchy as I was thinking it would be, it doesn't break the tires loose when your in Drive with the nannies on like some people said the xxx tune does. But I think this would get annoying because the shifts are plenty firm. The power increase is definetly there, under 3 thousand rpm now you get a nice pull compared to literally nothing before. When I floored it the pull was immediate, I didn't have to wait until it hit 4 thousand rpm for pull, it happened right from 2k and the power build up is very smooth and impressive.

Initially I was a little disappointed that I wasn't breaking traction in drive just normally driving around. BUT then I turned T/C off, did a launch at about 2000 RPM, what I usually launch at, and I spun through all of first gear laying down 2 tire marks that were about 15 feet long, I shifted and literally fish tailed into second, continuing to spin until I left off.

I was amazed by that, because before I would get a tiny chirp and than the LSD would catch it right away. There was no traction at all this time and I was doing the exact same launch I have always done with the stock tune.

Than I did a couple of rolls from 20 mph and the more I drove it felt like the faster the car got. By the last roll on I did I chirped as I was going 20 MPH and floored it and than chirped again shifting into second gear. The rev limiter isn't totally lifted, it's still in the 7200 RPM range, but I feel like that is plenty fine. Also the CAI and engine seem louder than before. It seems like the CAI is now sucking in alot more air than it used to.

I'm going to take the car out now for another little spin and report back with more of my observations. I feel like this tune CAN definetly be a little bit more aggressive, but for what I wanted, a every day 91 octane tune with nice power increases, I couldn't have asked for more.

I'll be racing my friend with his tuned 335i from a 20mph roll on tonight. When I wasn't tuned he beat me by a little more than half a car length. I think I'll get him this time.

And STEEDA was nothing but great with me. I contacted them through the live chat and got a prompt, friendly, and professional response to all of my questions.
I have a Steeda tune as well and agree with much of this review. However, after I loaded my tun e my idle was not as smooth as before. It has the same very slight lumpy cam feeling that I had when I swapped a RV cam in my old 2nd gen Trans Am. I like it. Gives it a racy feel.
Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:46 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Definitely driver mod my friend has the same Infiniti but auto and we both raced and I won. I was stock and he was stock as well. Then I got a tune and gears which didn't even make it a fun race for him anymore lol

IG: justaslow3.7
Harm_3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:54 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Darn those vehicles. Hate when they go deaf...

Lol the auto correct on this phone is killing me.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:33 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

It all depends on what you put on your car after the tune. If your only talking about stock tune vs stock it's not a big difference. But you will have more control of the car

Chrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:39 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Tuning in this car is like having steroids in sports. I recommend MPT for our V6 engines.
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
So if the x4 tuner holds 10 tunes, can u have a Bama tune on there with an MPT tune also ? I realize you can only use one tune at a time ..

PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:49 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPa View Post
So if the x4 tuner holds 10 tunes, can u have a Bama tune on there with an MPT tune also ? I realize you can only use one tune at a time ..

Yes you can have a Bama and an mpt tune at the same time.
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Nate . I'm sort of an old school mechanic and trying to learn this computer age for my 2014 3.7 I like all the comments I read about Bama but I'm also interested in the Mpt ghost cam. I was trying to wait until Bama had the lopy idle ..

Old 09-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPa View Post
Thanks Nate . I'm sort of an old school mechanic and trying to learn this computer age for my 2014 3.7 I like all the comments I read about Bama but I'm also interested in the Mpt ghost cam. I was trying to wait until Bama had the lopy idle ..

Mpt Definetly knows the 3.7 engine. They are great at tuning them
Old 09-09-2015, 08:02 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Stay away from the ghost cam tunes. Just grab a regular tune from mpt and enjoy.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrism View Post
It all depends on what you put on your car after the tune. If your only talking about stock tune vs stock it's not a big difference. But you will have more control of the car

A properly tuned 3.7 is a HUGE difference compared to a stock 3.7. As you stated "Not a big difference"! Rubbish sir. It is a huge difference. Being tuned is a different beast.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:43 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Well you have to consider your stock tune runs at 87 octane where if you go for a full N/A tune with 93, lets say with MPT as I did, it was night and day. now that might be the different timings to adjust for the 93 octane fuel you are using or just making optimal settings if you set your tune for 87. I will say though you will notice a significant increase in performance and why a tuner is the first mod any mustang owner should get if they want to continue adding mods; Having the tuner before hand helps to ease the cost of getting those nice Long tube headers with the matching x pipe without spending an additional $400 on a tuner, you forgot you needed.

On my Manual 14, I will say (Sorry BAMA) but buy the tuner from MPT's site directly and get their 3 tunes. What I did was have:

1.) 87 octane tune just in case
2.) 93 Race tune with 3.55 gears (For later Vortech)
3.) 93 Race tune with 3.73 gears (which I was going to get a month after I purchased the tune)

Reason being, MPT gives you more power increase over the competition and great customer support where BAMA lately has been eh to say the least on the forums. Ive had zero problems with MPT and their tune is still running strong 4684 miles after the 3.73 gear swap. An added bonus, if you have any extra cash, MPT will add tunes to your programmer for free after the first 6 months of purchase. Any edits after is an extra fee but i'll gladly pay the minimal cost for that for great tuning reputation.

Not being a spokeperson for MPT but after the tune and support over the phone, awesome versus BAMA -- not this "Call and get lucky if you speak to the right person" ehh what is that about?
kgallowaypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:29 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
MPT Tune and 3.73 gears is life! Best upgrades for the 3.7 besides forced induction.
-SOLD-13.246s@107.81 RaceRed 2013 v6 Mustang, 3.73 gears, MPT 91Race Tune, Axle-Back Straight Pipe, Tower Brace, BMR LCA's, BBK Shorty Headers, BMR Relocation Brackets, Lethal Performance X-Pipe Catless.
-2008 Civic SI...
RaceRed3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:08 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Hey KG, thanks for that very informative post. Can u pm me a name at mpt to speak with ?

Old 09-11-2015, 12:01 PM   #34

Region: Virginia
Noticeably faster, you shoulder get basic bolt ons before you tune
Gus3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

^ disagree

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang