Anyone upgraded the motor mounts on their V6? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-03-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Anyone upgraded the motor mounts on their V6?

I'm trying to decide whether to get this one?

6-505 BLACK Mustang Prothane Bullet Polyurethane Motor Mounts V6/GT 2005-2014 | CJ Pony Parts

I am tired of the jerking around when releasing the clutch after gear change, but don't want to get too much NVH either.
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2015, 09:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I was going to ask the same thing lol. Haven't seen these yet but they look good

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
etr3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:04 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I did mine.....it was the biggest improvement in shifting for me (tied with learning tight gates). However there is a good bit more NVH it makes the flywheel decel vibration feel like mild rumble strips. I like it a lot but there is a cost. PITA install but next time I would cut the studs on the oem mounts so as not to have to remove the aluminum mount to engine brackets which you have to remove the oem mounts. If you cut the studs on the oem it wouldn't be a bad install. If you are worried about if you like it or not I have my oem mounts I'll sell you so you can cut yours. I ain't going back.
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2015, 06:23 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I read some reviews of the products on the internet. It seems that most of the people complaining about the noise are V6 owners. Maybe the motor mount is designed for GT cars, and the bushing is too hard for the light weight of our cyclone motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I did mine.....it was the biggest improvement in shifting for me (tied with learning tight gates). However there is a good bit more NVH it makes the flywheel decel vibration feel like mild rumble strips. I like it a lot but there is a cost. PITA install but next time I would cut the studs on the oem mounts so as not to have to remove the aluminum mount to engine brackets which you have to remove the oem mounts. If you cut the studs on the oem it wouldn't be a bad install. If you are worried about if you like it or not I have my oem mounts I'll sell you so you can cut yours. I ain't going back.
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:13 AM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

maybe, but my only real complaint is how it amplifies the dual mass flywheel vibration...I look at your mod list and can tell you don't want to drive a Camary.

Go for it. Cut the mounting studs on the oem mounts as you can't lift the engine high enough to clear them. Removing the engine brackets was a BIG pita also disconnect battery too. As I said if you do this and are worried about the NVH I will sell my oem mounts cheap you'll thank me for not having to remove the brackets.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Recommend Energy Suspension if they make mounts for the sixxer. Better poly than Prothane and Energy makes sure their mounts mimic the stock rubber as far as engine height. At least in SN95 world, Prothane does not do this and the motor is raised up a little. Would have to check if this is also the case with the Cyclone.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:04 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Depending how sensitive you are to NVH is the difference between whether you will like or hate upgraded motor mounts. Personally I've had upgraded mounts on a previous car and for a pure DD it really wasn't worth it to me versus the NVH it added, especially when the AC was on. Again strictly speaking from a DD perspective as there are definite driving improvements.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:09 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

My car does not have a dual mass flywheel vibration for now. Did your have the vibration before the new mounts were put in?

How will your OEM mounts help me, if what I want is to take out my OEM mounts and put in a new polyurethane bushing one?

Quote:
maybe, but my only real complaint is how it amplifies the dual mass flywheel vibration...I look at your mod list and can tell you don't want to drive a Camary.

Go for it. Cut the mounting studs on the oem mounts as you can't lift the engine high enough to clear them. Removing the engine brackets was a BIG pita also disconnect battery too. As I said if you do this and are worried about the NVH I will sell my oem mounts cheap you'll thank me for not having to remove the brackets.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Something like this?

Amazon.com: Energy Suspension 4.1124R Motor Mount and Transmission Set for Mustang: Automotive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Recommend Energy Suspension if they make mounts for the sixxer. Better poly than Prothane and Energy makes sure their mounts mimic the stock rubber as far as engine height. At least in SN95 world, Prothane does not do this and the motor is raised up a little. Would have to check if this is also the case with the Cyclone.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:59 AM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

yes I had the vibration before...my mounts will only help you if you don't like the aftermarket ones and go back to stock. If you do that it will be a pita to go back but the original install will be easier if you cut the originals out. This was one of my better mods as far as driving goes however it is not my dd I use it about 1/2 the time and drive a truck the rest of my time.

I kept the original tranny mount, replacing that too will prob greatly increase nvh
Old 08-04-2015, 11:55 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yes I had the vibration before...my mounts will only help you if you don't like the aftermarket ones and go back to stock. If you do that it will be a pita to go back but the original install will be easier if you cut the originals out. This was one of my better mods as far as driving goes however it is not my dd I use it about 1/2 the time and drive a truck the rest of my time.

My stock one still works like new. Thank you for the offer though.

I kept the original tranny mount, replacing that too will prob greatly increase nvh
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Depending how sensitive you are to NVH is the difference between whether you will like or hate upgraded motor mounts. Personally I've had upgraded mounts on a previous car and for a pure DD it really wasn't worth it to me versus the NVH it added, especially when the AC was on. Again strictly speaking from a DD perspective as there are definite driving improvements.
Thank you for sharing. This could be one of the best suggestions.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang