0-60 times stock vs tune only mod? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
0-60 times stock vs tune only mod?

Just a tune increased my 0-60 about a quarter second. but with 3.55 gears, MPT tune and steeda intake my 0-60 is right at 5.1 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2015, 12:08 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post
Just a tune increased my 0-60 about a quarter second. but with 3.55 gears, MPT tune and steeda intake my 0-60 is right at 5.1 seconds.

So with my 3.31 there is hope to get my Stang in the low 5s... That would be awesome.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:17 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
So with my 3.31 there is hope to get my Stang in the low 5s... That would be awesome.

Well I think the stock PP v6 with 3.31s was tested by Motortrend at 5.5 seconds. Although it all depends on what elevation you are at

Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2015, 12:19 PM   #39
Kevin.Cook

Suspension, tune, and headers will get you the low end grunt to get you in the low 5s easily. Of course, you COULD always get 3.73s. Just depends on how much you want to throw in to your car. I personally think that suspension, tune, headers, and gears will make a competitive 3.7 but also a really fun Daily Driver.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
As Kevin stated, low end grunt is what you need. Tune and gears are the best bang for the buck mods. Suspension and headers are next. There is little difference between 3:31s and 3:55s, don't think it's worth the cost. If your wanted maximum acceleration, I think 3:73s are the way to go. I went with 3:55s as I do too much highway driving and did not want my MPG to go much lower. As far as wheels and tires, I recall reading that for performance gains, every pound of unsprung weight is equivalent to 4lbs of sprung weight.
Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:52 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I put a tune on and 3.73's....from 2.73 with the automatic. Shifts are a lot harder and crisper....it's now a monster! Tuner helps the automatics more...

sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks123 View Post
I put a tune on and 3.73's....from 2.73 with the automatic. Shifts are a lot harder and crisper....it's now a monster! Tuner helps the automatics more...

Good to hear. Let us know if you do any 0-60 runs!
Old 08-10-2015, 02:33 PM   #43
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Unfortunately I don't have 0-60 times from stock tune vs aftermarket tune, but I do have 1/4 mile times from both.

Bone stock with the tune being the variable, here are my #s:

Stock: 14.4s
Bama 93R: 13.8s
MPT 93R: 13.6s

Knocking off 0.8 seconds in the 1/4 is significant.
VIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:09 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
There really that big of a difference between bama and mpt tunes? That's pretty impressive.

2013 pp mca 3.7 glass roof
2.5% dl tinted windows
Bbk shortys
20"resonators
Roush ab.
Bama/mpt tunes

More coming visually for now.
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:20 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

0-60 times stock vs tune only mod?

Lund tunes are the best, he loads them on an sct x4. Check out his website. His name is John Lund, best in the business.

Fariko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:34 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
That's a bold statement with no proof showing that what your stipulating is correct???

2013 pp mca 3.7 glass roof
2.5% dl tinted windows
Bbk shortys
20"resonators
Roush ab.
Bama/mpt tunes

More coming visually for now.
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:03 AM   #47
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fariko View Post
Lund tunes are the best, he loads them on an sct x4. Check out his website. His name is John Lund, best in the business.

I thought this was the optimal choice for the 5.0s and the 3.7s were MPT? Or has this changed?
Old 08-11-2015, 10:28 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Nope and its really just the 3.7 where mpt is top dog.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:40 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Lund for 5.0, MPT for 3.7.

Same night and weather conditions:

Bama 93R: 13.94 @ 101.3 (bogged)
Bama 93R: 13.93 @ 101.2 (bogged)
MPT 93R: 13.56 @ 103.6 (spun)
MPT 93R: 13.46 @ 104.2 (decent)

Only mods were CAI, tune, and 3.55 gears.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:41 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Going to say i agree with them. Tune is going to be key to getting down that 0-60. Along with a good launch you should be seeing good numbers. You don't necessarily need gears as the 3.31 is pretty good as is. A tune is going to greatly help your throttle response and as many will say "wake up" your car.

What I did was get the tuner from bama and get free lifetime tunes. When you are pretty much set get a MPT tune for i think $75 still. MPT has harder shifts and gives you more of the race car type feel. I basically have stuck with it as my daily but Bama has also recently released their V2 tunes which I have yet to try.
Right now I have to work on my launching even with a auto because I'm getting too much wheel spin which is cutting down my 0-60s. On a 70 degree night I was able to get low 5s with me and another person in my car with just a tune so it shouldn't be unobtainable. It took a couple runs and had to warm up my tires but once they got a good grip and stopped spinning I got it.
Are there any reasons why you want to go from straight brake to launch vs reving to 1.5-2k then releasing?

Also before anyone else says it I'm pretty sure the fastest N/A 3.7 was tuned by MPT.
jonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:11 PM   #51

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Hawkstang, I was in the same boat as you. The lag on the auto in first gear was horrible and autoshift buttons not much better.

I have the performance package with 3.31 gears and was doing around 6.1 stock.
I switched up to Shell 93 V-Nitro gas, dropped in the K&N replacement filter, and bought an SCT-X4 tuner. I flashed the street tune, and saw the delay in first gear lag vanish. Fuel economy has dropped 1-2 MPG, however I am getting consistent 5.6, 0 - 60. 5.4 with with traction control off. Very happy with these mods.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
Hawkstang, I was in the same boat as you. The lag on the auto in first gear was horrible and autoshift buttons not much better.

I have the performance package with 3.31 gears and was doing around 6.1 stock.
I switched up to Shell 93 V-Nitro gas, dropped in the K&N replacement filter, and bought an SCT-X4 tuner. I flashed the street tune, and saw the delay in first gear lag vanish. Fuel economy has dropped 1-2 MPG, however I am getting consistent 5.6, 0 - 60. 5.4 with with traction control off. Very happy with these mods.
Excellent info, thanks! The best I can get around here is 91 octane, so I'm planning on doing exactly what you did but with a 91 tune.

Did you get any custom tunes with your SCT or did you just use the pre programmed street tune? I ask because I can save $70 by getting it from Amazon if I don't need a custom tune.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:12 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This is my first thread on here so please be gentle...

First off, I LOVE my new Mustang (2014 bought with 9,500 miles in pristine condition) but I have one beef... for a light weight 305 hp sports car, the auto transmission is really sluggish. To add to it, the "constant learning" cpu seems to only learn how to make it less responsive, no matter how you drive. I do pull fuse 47 once a week, but I think that's a major fail by Ford not allowing us to turn that feature off.

So I have researched for weeks and I understand changing the gear ratio will help, but without doing that will adding a tuner really help? I know people with a tune claim they can feel it, but the 0-60 times I have read with people with a tune only vs stock have been almost identical.

So I ask... does anyone on here have or had in the past just a tune with no other mods? And if so did they notice a 0-60 improvement?

Mine is pulling a 6.4 0-60 and that is weak for the engine and weight. I know it's the slush box because it doesn't rip in first gear... feels regulated. The frustrating part is I LOVE everything else about my Mustang, but I had a 2006 CTS 3.7 before my Mustang and it had 50 less hp and weighed 600 lbs more and it was only .5 seconds slower than my Mustang.

I really feel like Ford dropped the ball on these transmission units and likely shot for fuel economy over performance... which would make sense with a Taurus but damn, these are Ponies!!!

Overall still very happy, but would like to know if it's even worth pouring $1000 for a gear change and custom tune? Or do I just live with knowing I have so much untapped potential under the hood?

Thanks everyone and love the forum!
The factory automatic tune and shift points are a joke and suck balls. A tuned automatic 3.7 is a game changer. World of difference. I have spoken and let it be written in stone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:14 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
The tune will help you throughout. But the gears will be more for initial acceleration. Suspension would be the next thing. Because when you launch, you will squat ALOT with the stock suspension. That is what is hurting me now. I can run 13.8 in TX at this time.
You boys need to move near me. Maryland, Cecil County drag strip area. Cars run quick with our elevation, track and street.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:46 PM   #55

Quote:
Excellent info, thanks! The best I can get around here is 91 octane, so I'm planning on doing exactly what you did but with a 91 tune.

Did you get any custom tunes with your SCT or did you just use the pre programmed street tune? I ask because I can save $70 by getting it from Amazon if I don't need a custom tune.
I am using the stock tunes. I believe it shipped with 3. Since this is my daily driver I am using the street tune although there is a track tune bundled. I have heard they are supportive if you need a tune mod due to exhaust change, cold air intake, etc

I plan on running pretty close to stock till the 36k warranty is up.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:01 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
I am using the stock tunes. I believe it shipped with 3. Since this is my daily driver I am using the street tune although there is a track tune bundled. I have heard they are supportive if you need a tune mod due to exhaust change, cold air intake, etc

I plan on running pretty close to stock till the 36k warranty is up.
This really is awesome info... So with the SCT you just enter in your setup when you first fire it up and then you have 3 pre-set "tunes" to pick from correct? And with the street tune that took care of the crap lower end shifts?

I might be ordering this bad boy tonight!

Thanks again!
Old 08-13-2015, 06:51 AM   #57

Quote:
This really is awesome info... So with the SCT you just enter in your setup when you first fire it up and then you have 3 pre-set "tunes" to pick from correct? And with the street tune that took care of the crap lower end shifts?

I might be ordering this bad boy tonight!

Thanks again!
Yes you can tweak some of the items in the menu. I got my SCT from CJ Pony Parts. My big issue was the trans shift points on auto, since ford sets them low for fuel economy. Basically the stock factory program had it hunting for higher gears way to early. That causes that noticeable lag in first gear when punching it. Flashing it got rid of that, and I could feel alot more low end torque much like my Genesis couple had. I did not really notice any power changes in the upper transmission gears, eg 4th and higher. Anyway I am alot happier with the smaller tweaks I got, and I am sure that my HP (have not dyno tested) has bumped up just from the drop in filter, fuel, and tune.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang