0-60 times stock vs tune only mod? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-05-2015, 03:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
0-60 times stock vs tune only mod?

This is my first thread on here so please be gentle...

First off, I LOVE my new Mustang (2014 bought with 9,500 miles in pristine condition) but I have one beef... for a light weight 305 hp sports car, the auto transmission is really sluggish. To add to it, the "constant learning" cpu seems to only learn how to make it less responsive, no matter how you drive. I do pull fuse 47 once a week, but I think that's a major fail by Ford not allowing us to turn that feature off.

So I have researched for weeks and I understand changing the gear ratio will help, but without doing that will adding a tuner really help? I know people with a tune claim they can feel it, but the 0-60 times I have read with people with a tune only vs stock have been almost identical.

So I ask... does anyone on here have or had in the past just a tune with no other mods? And if so did they notice a 0-60 improvement?

Mine is pulling a 6.4 0-60 and that is weak for the engine and weight. I know it's the slush box because it doesn't rip in first gear... feels regulated. The frustrating part is I LOVE everything else about my Mustang, but I had a 2006 CTS 3.7 before my Mustang and it had 50 less hp and weighed 600 lbs more and it was only .5 seconds slower than my Mustang.

I really feel like Ford dropped the ball on these transmission units and likely shot for fuel economy over performance... which would make sense with a Taurus but damn, these are Ponies!!!

Overall still very happy, but would like to know if it's even worth pouring $1000 for a gear change and custom tune? Or do I just live with knowing I have so much untapped potential under the hood?

Thanks everyone and love the forum!
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2015, 03:11 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

Gears and Tune will make your car a blast to drive. Let me say this, in the TX heat, a stock 3.7 with 2.73s and 17" wheels runs 15.5 in the 1/4 mile. A car with 3.73s and a tune runs about 14.5. So if that does not change your mind, idk what will.

Of course, these numbers will vary depending on location. But about a 1 second difference is pretty good for $1,000.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. And I am assuming most of that 1 second gain is in the front end of the acceleration?

Yes, basically I'm wondering if I invest the $1000 will I really feel it... and not that CAI "feel it" way, if you catch my drift.

I forgot to add the final straw that made me post this thread... I was city driving yesterday and had an old dude in a Kia Soul and he was keeping up with me... even when I hit the on ramp to the interstate. I was pretty irritated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2015, 03:30 PM   #4
Kevin.Cook

The tune will help you throughout. But the gears will be more for initial acceleration. Suspension would be the next thing. Because when you launch, you will squat ALOT with the stock suspension. That is what is hurting me now. I can run 13.8 in TX at this time.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'm leaning towards starting with the gear/tune first and see how that feels, since I really like how she rides right now. That is probably the biggest positive I have on my car is that it handles bumps in a soft manner yet doesn't lose grip. I believe mine came with a premium suspension though? I test drove a non-premium Stang and the suspension was horrible... though that could have been damage from previous owner.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:48 PM   #6
Kevin.Cook

If you have the Performance Package then the struts have a little better valving. But take it from someone with the Performance Package also, that suspension is garbage on the drag strip. My car squats so hard, it feels like it is taking a s*** at the starting line. Technically, it is. On my 1/4 time. LMAO!!!!
Old 08-05-2015, 03:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

HA!!!!!! That's funny as hell. I don't have any drag strip plans for the near future so gear/tune it is!

Now, which tune is the best for a 3.73 setup? Or do they all do the same thing? I have read good things about Bama.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
MPT.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:13 PM   #9
Kevin.Cook

Hey I looked at your profile and saw the 13/14 V6 PP wheels on your car. So that means you probably already have 3.31 gears over the stock 2.73. Take my advice, stay with those! It is not worth the money and headache to go from 3.31 to 3.73 unless you are going to race the car. I went from 3.31 to 3.73 and hardly noticed a change. It is obviously more worth it if you have 2.73s.

I would say 4.10 gears, but that might be too much for you as a daily driving mod.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:19 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Hey I looked at your profile and saw the 13/14 V6 PP wheels on your car. So that means you probably already have 3.31 gears over the stock 2.73. Take my advice, stay with those! It is not worth the money and headache to go from 3.31 to 3.73 unless you are going to race the car. I went from 3.31 to 3.73 and hardly noticed a change. It is obviously more worth it if you have 2.73s.

I would say 4.10 gears, but that might be too much for you as a daily driving mod.
I just noticed the same thing and was going to suggest, at a minimum, to do the tune first and don't rush into the gears.
I get the impression most people like the feel of the higher ratio gears at the low end but I've yet to see any facts and figures on the difference. Except the simulated ones somewhere way back posted on here.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #11
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I just noticed the same thing and was going to suggest, at a minimum, to do the tune first and don't rush into the gears.
I get the impression most people like the feel of the higher ratio gears at the low end but I've yet to see and facts and figures on the difference. Except the simulated ones somewhere way back posted on here.
Same. Plus not every city has awesome shops with awesome prices. Usually shady shops with high price tags. So OP definitely wants to call around and research first before tackling that job. Had I knew what I got myself in to when I did the gears, I would have used the money for suspension instead.

Looking back now, 3.31s really wasn't THAT bad. I drove a 2011 with 2.73s
Old 08-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Good to know! Now Im really wondering why I'm only getting a 6.4 0-60?? From what I have seen I should be around 5.7 correct?

I bought it used and an old dude owned it before me... Do I need to check for anything?

I put axle back magnaflows on her, but that shouldnt make a difference.

Hmmmmm
Old 08-05-2015, 04:55 PM   #13
Kevin.Cook

You can always do a once over on the maintenance. Do the oil change, fuel system cleaner, air filter, fuel filter, check tire pressure and tread, etc. Remember, rule of thumb is shocks and struts at 50k miles. Probably wouldn't hurt to do spark plugs also. (Not sure how many miles you currently have)

I personally would just do everything to give yourself a clean slate. No idea if the previous owner thrashed the car and redlined/floored it constantly.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Also is there a way I can confirm I have the 3.31 on my ride? I live in a city with only 91 octane so assuming I can confirm the 3.31 I would order a 3.31 91 tune?

Second also, speaking of the wheels does anyone know the weight on the 19" PP wheels? They look heavy as hell and I'm guessing maybe 32-35 lbs? With my DIB and metallic silver setup I am wanting to go to a hyper silver wheel and have my eye on some that come in at 25 lbs... might help me with the unsprung weight?

Thanks
Old 08-05-2015, 04:57 PM   #15
Kevin.Cook

Get your VIN and punch it in: Use your VIN number to get Ford Window Sticker

Then you can see your original Window stick and see what came with your car originally.

Also, if you jack up the car, there should be a stick on the rear axle/differential area that says the gear ratio (assuming it was not changed). Also, there are other ways, such as spinning the tire and driveshaft to check the revolutions #.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
You can always do a once over on the maintenance. Do the oil change, fuel system cleaner, air filter, fuel filter, check tire pressure and tread, etc. Remember, rule of thumb is shocks and struts at 50k miles. Probably wouldn't hurt to do spark plugs also. (Not sure how many miles you currently have)

I personally would just do everything to give yourself a clean slate. No idea if the previous owner thrashed the car and redlined/floored it constantly.
I switched her to Royal Purple and put a new air filter in. Tire pressure is spot on and all fluids good to go. It's only at 12k for miles but I could seafoam it I guess.

Honestly, I wonder if my tranny has issues. If I'm slow coasting and hit the gas it takes literally 2-3 secs to respond, which is dangerous at times.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I had the same issues your describing with the lag in throttle response and take off. Just this last week I got the ITSX tuner and left my gears the 2.73 and wow my mustang is night and day now. Really takes off. Used to have 6.4 0-60 and now it's down to 5.7!! Honestly a custom 91 race tune from MPT is where you should begin. Then get the gears!!
moto113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:39 PM   #18
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Kevin is giving you good advice. If you have the 3.31 gears already, bumping up will help but it won't be earth shaking changes. For my two cents worth of advice; tuner and suspension for a good feeling out of your car. Of all my mods, I'm happiest with these two over everything else.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:43 PM   #19
Kevin.Cook

These Autos will always have a throttle lag when flooring it. The fix for that is a tune. There will still be a second delay, but not nearly as bad as before when it was 2-3 seconds.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:27 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
The 4.0 v6 stock will run low 15s in the quarter seem like the 3.7 will run faster than that even in the tx heat
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:39 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

That is the advice I was looking for! Tune it is!!

Thanks to all of you!!
Old 08-05-2015, 06:41 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I still cant believe Ford would put such a crappy stock tune on such a nice ride. Performance Package my arse! Lol
Old 08-05-2015, 06:54 PM   #23
Kevin.Cook

Sorry Jek. The heat and elevation here makes our cars run about .5 to 1 second slower then alot of other areas. Its not just the heat, its the humidity also. Most places, it isnt 105-110 all the time. Im sure if i retried around 80 degrees or less i could get a more consistent lower time.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:56 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Also I forgot to mention I do have roush axle backs and roush CAI and different tires and rims. But I had all that installed and with the tune I was so shocked and beyond pleased with what a simple tune can do!! And I guess ford was out for getting MPG instead of trying to make a mustang haha
moto113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:00 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Ford has to de tune for warranty issues. If they pushed every single motor as hard as they can n/a than they would have a lot of issues.

I noted you said sea foam. Do not use seafoam on the motor. With only 12k on it there is no reason to. There's no way you have bad carbon build up and no need for this. Assuming the car was beat to piss every time it was drove you'll actually have less carbon deposit than normal. Main cause of carbon build up is a motor running to cold and not hard enough. Even people who absolutely baby there cars or truck should run an octane booster and drive one hard tank of gas every 1000 miles to help clean the motor. Seafoam should never be used for this purpose when your daily driving can do the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:06 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Wow yea i'll stick with upstate New York weather here been 75-80s here and about 60s at night. But with that high humidity and that temp i could see it happening .Don't bring your weather with you when you come up for the show
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:14 PM   #27
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek57 View Post
Wow yea i'll stick with upstate New York weather here been 75-80s here and about 60s at night. But with that high humidity and that temp i could see it happening .Don't bring your weather with you when you come up for the show
Haha, I will try. It will be nice to not be sweating all the time.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:49 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
Good to know! Now Im really wondering why I'm only getting a 6.4 0-60?? From what I have seen I should be around 5.7 correct?

I bought it used and an old dude owned it before me... Do I need to check for anything?

I put axle back magnaflows on her, but that shouldnt make a difference.
Hmmmmm
FYI...I too have a 2014 PP auto and did one quick run with the track apps. Didn't shut down traction control. Just put it in sport mode and hit the pedal. I think I did about 6.4 also. I think if I took my time and quickly rev'd it to about 15-2000 rpm before releasing the brakes it would have done better.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:30 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
FYI...I too have a 2014 PP auto and did one quick run with the track apps. Didn't shut down traction control. Just put it in sport mode and hit the pedal. I think I did about 6.4 also. I think if I took my time and quickly rev'd it to about 15-2000 rpm before releasing the brakes it would have done better.
Will the 0-60 track app work if you do that? Doesnt it start once you hit the throttle?

Also, I put mine in sport manual mode and hit the gas with the break on... No rev limit! I was burning rubber instantly. Scared the crap out of me cuz I was expecting the rev limiter. Lol

Here's what is bugging me, Motortrend did a test of our PP Stang and ran a 5.8... That was stock. Seems like we should be getting in the 5s as is?
Old 08-05-2015, 08:50 PM   #30
Kevin.Cook

They probably did alot of runs in a controlled and maintained environment until they got a number they felt comfortable posting.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:59 PM   #31
Kevin.Cook

Also, with track apps. You can set the time to not start till you take off or do a light tree for take off.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:33 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

True and true
Pretty sure mine started timing when I released the brake.
The sport manual mode? I think shifting through the sport mode is slower than auto sport mode.
You shouldn't hit it so hard that you burn rubber. That cost you time.
Now I have to go out tomorrow and do some real testing. Just hard to find a good spot close to home.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:47 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I wasnt doing a run when the burnout happened, it was an accident. Lol

So the track app starts when the speedometer starts? I thought it said it started when you pressed the gas?

I want to get a 5 something time from dead stop no rev, so I hope the tune gets me there.

I dont want to sound obsessed with 0-60 times, I just want a solid consistent launch and it sounds like the tune will help.

One last question... I have read that the adaptive learning still affects the response even with a tune? True or false?
Old 08-05-2015, 10:40 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I purchased a used 2014 Premium convertible that came with and auto and 2.73s. So basically it's the heaviest , slowest and least performance oriented model. First time I ran the track apps, my 0-60 was 6.8 seconds. Felt like an eternity. First thing I did was a Steeda 91 octane tune, then 3:55 gears. Retested on the same road. Best run was 5.5. Difference is truly night and day. But, it is not only during full throttle runs that benefit. Normal driving is much more spirited and responsive. After a few months, I needed to return to factory tune for a couple of days and can honestly say the car felt lazy.
Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:03 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Jenkins... Im sold!!!! Thats exactly what Im looking for. Mid 5s and better overall response and I will be a very happy Mustang owner!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang