Hard water spots :( :( - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Hard water spots :( :(

so, stupidly without thinking about it, I always park my car on the right side of my driveway. problem is, we have sprinklers running in the summer, and i always noticed my car was wet in the morning. well, i never thought much of it and the water spots all over the passengers side, because i figured "eh when i wash it, and then use my Ice detailer, they'll go away."

problem is, on the entire right side (windows included), they are NOT going away. the left side looks great after i use my detailer, but the right side just looks like a shiny mess of water spots. WTF.

i presume it's the hard water from our well that we use for the sprinklers, and this really sucks.

so what do i do? what removes such caked in hard water spots that a wash/scrub and detailing scrub won't take out?!?!

also, look at these pics of my trunk...it looks like there's like dust everywhere, right? nope. that crap isn't coming off either. wtf is all over my trunk now?!!?!?

i am never buying a black car again in my life.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Hard water spots :( :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
so, stupidly without thinking about it, I always park my car on the right side of my driveway. problem is, we have sprinklers running in the summer, and i always noticed my car was wet in the morning. well, i never thought much of it and the water spots all over the passengers side, because i figured "eh when i wash it, and then use my Ice detailer, they'll go away."

problem is, on the entire right side (windows included), they are NOT going away. the left side looks great after i use my detailer, but the right side just looks like a shiny mess of water spots. WTF.

i presume it's the hard water from our well that we use for the sprinklers, and this really sucks.

so what do i do? what removes such caked in hard water spots that a wash/scrub and detailing scrub won't take out?!?!

also, look at these pics of my trunk...it looks like there's like dust everywhere, right? nope. that crap isn't coming off either. wtf is all over my trunk now?!!?!?

i am never buying a black car again in my life.

That picture is strange. I can't even tell what I'm looking at, I can't tell what's car and what's not.

Edit: I guess I'm looking at the reflection of the top of your garage door opening and the actual door in the up position.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

haha sorry. the car is so shiny it's reflecting my garage 😉 but the entire black image is the car. there's white spots everywhere.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2015, 05:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Have you ever used claybar? It is literally a piece of clay that you rub on your car after spraying with this detailing spray and then wipe clean with a microfiber towel. It takes away all the minor imperfections on a vehicle. Might work for this. If not, try a good buffing.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I asked someone about claybar and they said it wouldn't really do anything for the water stains.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Hang on and I will test it for you. My CRV is covered with them because I did the same thing.
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yup. Claybar removes those water spots in no time at all.
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Old 08-08-2015, 06:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
It just depends how bad the hard water is.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Mine is pretty bad. Had to put a water softener in the garage that I hook my hose to when washing the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2015, 06:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
White vinegar will remove them

2013 pp mca 3.7 glass roof
2.5% dl tinted windows
Bbk shortys
20"resonators
Roush ab.
Bama/mpt tunes

More coming visually for now.
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
You should be able to get them out using rubbing compound like meguiars ultimate compound
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

White vinegar will remove them

2.5% dl tinted windows
Bbk shortys
20"resonators
Roush ab.
Bama/mpt tunes

Old 08-08-2015, 08:40 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I have a liquid claybar. think that would help?

and my neighbor is a car guy.. made his living on body work etc. he said a compound would probably do it, and i can try a meguiers or something.. but he also said try to do it professionally or something bc i could mess it up and I'd be kicking myself? I didn't have much time with him but does anyone know what he means? could I mess up the paint potentially?

and white vinegar? how do you apply it? make a solution or something? does it hurt the paint?

Old 08-08-2015, 08:47 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

oh and what about for the Windows? it's stained there too even after cleaning. white vinegar?

Old 08-08-2015, 08:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

White vinegar should take care of it all. Just wash the car rite after or just rinse if your up to date in a good waxing. White vinegar has worked for me for several years.

2.5% dl tinted windows
Bbk shortys
20"resonators
Roush ab.
Bama/mpt tunes

---------- Post added at 01:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 AM ----------

Take a doing and dip it into the vinegar and work area if need be to allow the vinegar to do work on the water spots

2.5% dl tinted windows
Bbk shortys
20"resonators
Roush ab.
Bama/mpt tunes

Old 08-08-2015, 10:18 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

There's a product that removes staining from well water sprinklers. I know it works on house sidings, not sure about car paint. Check with Home Depot or a water softening company in your area. Good luck.

Other thoughts:

How to remove water spots by hand - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum
Old 08-08-2015, 11:45 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

that article was great.. i think these are type 2 though.. so this sucks. i might bring it to a detailer and see if they can get it off. I'll try the vinegar tomorrow but I'm not expecting much... they didn't come off with scrubbing with my detailer like the other side of the car did...

Sent from my Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Old 08-09-2015, 09:44 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
You want to use some light polishing compound instead of rubbing compound as it is more heavy duty and meant for cars with heavy oxidation.

Have you had any lines painted on local roads lately? It looks like the paint they spray the lines with, I had it happen to me years ago. Compound and a buffer got that off as well.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #19

Region: Tennessee
I use meguiars cleaning wax. Nothing else's needed. On black cars I'll follow up with a second coat of just wax. I think you will find it fixes the problem and will prevent it from being a future issue.
Master Chief01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:53 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
You want to use some light polishing compound instead of rubbing compound as it is more heavy duty and meant for cars with heavy oxidation.

Have you had any lines painted on local roads lately? It looks like the paint they spray the lines with, I had it happen to me years ago. Compound and a buffer got that off as well.
haven't really driven on any new roads, no. hmm i'll have to check it out. my first priority is water spots. if i can get them off with vinegar, great. just pulled into the garage to let her cool off a bit, and ill give it a go soon.

then it's the trunk specs. i might as well just bring it to get detailed and see if they can do anything about it.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Just a word of caution.....if you haven't used a buffer and compound before it's extremely easy to burn through the paint on the newer Mustangs. You also need a good variable speed buffer....not the cheap kind you get at Harbor Freight.
If you haven't had any experience buffing with a wheel..........to to a professional like your neighbor suggested....IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:51 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
In case you haven't heard about it, WHITE VINEGAR WILL REMOVE THE SPOTS!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:09 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
In case you haven't heard about it, WHITE VINEGAR WILL REMOVE THE SPOTS!

Already told him that lol. He's supposed to be doing it soon

2.5% dl tinted windows
Bbk shortys
20"resonators
Roush ab.
Bama/mpt tunes

Old 08-09-2015, 01:36 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

thanks for the compounding info rodder; it's exactly what my neighbor said. he's been in the business for 40 something years, so i trust his word. i'm not going to touch compounding.

as for vinegar guys, it didn't work at all. tried distilled white vinegar and it just had no effect.

but then i used the Ice Liquid Claybar i have, and that seemed to work. problem is, you have to spray it off, so i had to do it in the damn hot sun, so then i'd spray off and wipe down, but some of it wouldn't come off and then THAT would dry up and become a huge stain lol. so i got pissed, did some quick hand washing, noticed how bad all the water spots were bc it was drying up before i could dry it myself, and said F it, put it in the garage to cool off, and i'm going to try to put a coat of wax on it tonight. it hasn't been waxed in probably a year, so i need to anyway.

it's clean since i just washed it and detailed it yesterday, so im going to be waxing on top of water spots. the superficial ones will come out probably, but the deep ones are going to need care from a detailer, which i'm sure will cost me $150...but you get what you pay for.

then i should sell the damn thing and buy a white 5.0. lol
Old 08-09-2015, 01:41 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
thanks for the compounding info rodder; it's exactly what my neighbor said. he's been in the business for 40 something years, so i trust his word. i'm not going to touch compounding.

as for vinegar guys, it didn't work at all. tried distilled white vinegar and it just had no effect.

but then i used the Ice Liquid Claybar i have, and that seemed to work. problem is, you have to spray it off, so i had to do it in the damn hot sun, so then i'd spray off and wipe down, but some of it wouldn't come off and then THAT would dry up and become a huge stain lol. so i got pissed, did some quick hand washing, noticed how bad all the water spots were bc it was drying up before i could dry it myself, and said F it, put it in the garage to cool off, and i'm going to try to put a coat of wax on it tonight. it hasn't been waxed in probably a year, so i need to anyway.

it's clean since i just washed it and detailed it yesterday, so im going to be waxing on top of water spots. the superficial ones will come out probably, but the deep ones are going to need care from a detailer, which i'm sure will cost me $150...but you get what you pay for.

then i should sell the damn thing and buy a white 5.0. lol
Use regular claybar. I tested it for you and it worked. It is worth a try. Just be sure to use plenty of detail spray as a lubricant. i would not wax over the water spots.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:03 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robostang View Post
Use regular claybar. I tested it for you and it worked. It is worth a try. Just be sure to use plenty of detail spray as a lubricant. i would not wax over the water spots.
Also make sure you wax after barring. Clay bar removes wax.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:15 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

I'll second the part about not waxing over the water spots...........this will just make things worse and when you take it to a detailer................he'll have to either strip the wax or will have to "cut-n-buff" it.
Just leave it the way it is....................and next time.....don't try and wash or wax your car in the sun................either in the early morning, late evening.
I usually keep the car wet all the time...........wash a panel.......wash it off and wet the whole car and continue doing this through the whole wash process....then towel off as quickly as I can and move into the garage. I've got very hard well water here also.
Take your friend the body guy a beer and listen to what he has to say..................
Just be patent and take your time.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:27 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I too have a black car here in Miami where the water is filled with calcium. The number 1 only thing is to avoid the water in the first place. Adams polishes as well as Chemical guys has plenty of good products that can take care of your finish. Personally, I like to use the V07 detail spray and sealant after you wash it. Keeping it sealed and washed is the secret.
GTgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:31 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTgeorge View Post
I too have a black car here in Miami where the water is filled with calcium. The number 1 only thing is to avoid the water in the first place. Adams polishes as well as Chemical guys has plenty of good products that can take care of your finish. Personally, I like to use the V07 detail spray and sealant after you wash it. Keeping it sealed and washed is the secret.
Avoiding the water is good trick...........how do you avoid water to wash your car????
Old 08-09-2015, 02:56 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robostang View Post
hmm I'll have to go buy one. so when you clay bar, you use detail spray? I have turtle wax ice.. so I'd spray it, rub with the claybar and it'll take the water spots out? then what do I do, rub with a microfiber cloth like I'm doing the detailer like usual?

the liquid claybar seemed to take most out, but not all. so im wondering if some are still caked in beyond all hell.

any specific kind of claybar to get?

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I'll second the part about not waxing over the water spots...........this will just make things worse and when you take it to a detailer................he'll have to either strip the wax or will have to "cut-n-buff" it.
Just leave it the way it is....................and next time.....don't try and wash or wax your car in the sun................either in the early morning, late evening.
I usually keep the car wet all the time...........wash a panel.......wash it off and wet the whole car and continue doing this through the whole wash process....then towel off as quickly as I can and move into the garage. I've got very hard well water here also.
Take your friend the body guy a beer and listen to what he has to say..................
Just be patent and take your time.
yeah, the entire problem wasn't washing it bc i never wash or wax in the sun.. it was those damn sprinklers that I didn't think anything of for weeks. grr.

Old 08-09-2015, 03:17 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Avoid the sun

I wash my cars in the garage, no sun and no dried on water spot and believe me, San Antonio is famous for hard water due to the limestone aquifer where we get our water. I realize this is not possible for everybody, but if you can shoehorn your car into the garage, try it.
reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 03:25 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Just run down to your local Walmart and pick up a claybar kit. It will come with the claybar and detail spray. Flatten the claybar and rub it over the finish using plenty of detailer as a lubricant. Use a microfiber towel to wipe off the detailer. If the clay sticks to the surface, you are not using enough detailer. Fold the claybar and repeat on another section until the entire car is done. Whatever you do, do not drop the claybar on the ground. If you do, through it away. It will pickup anything that is on the ground and scratch the hell out of your finish.

As was stated above, be sure to wax the car afterwards as the clay will remove all wax.

There are plenty of videos out there on how to claybar. It is not hard at all.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:10 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Avoiding the water is good trick...........how do you avoid water to wash your car????
Of coarse not letting the water from the sprinkler sit on it and dry in the sun is one way. Also by wiping the water off asap after it gets wet. I love to detail my cars and it's because I got a lot of info from Adamspolishes.com and thechemicalguys.com. These guys products are the best I've ever used and I've used a lot of them or all of them. You can only buy them online but they are worth it. These web sites have videos that everyone who is a clean freak, like myself, needs to know so you can learn if you don't know.
They'll teach you the two bucket washing system works like a charm. Anyway, they also have waterless wash that is the best way to maintain your car clean followed by the detail spray and sealant. You'll get a shine like no other..
GTgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #34

Region: Arkansas
Best way to deal with hard water spots is to prevent them. Or park out of the way of lawn sprinklers! Use a PH balanced car wash liquid, and a good wax. Water spots will always be worse if the sun dries them on your car. Many times rubbing compound will remove these depending. Sometimes watering the surface and immediately running over the surface with a microfiber towel may work. No need in paying a detail shop to do this.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:35 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
hmm I'll have to go buy one. so when you clay bar, you use detail spray? I have turtle wax ice.. so I'd spray it, rub with the claybar and it'll take the water spots out? then what do I do, rub with a microfiber cloth like I'm doing the detailer like usual?

the liquid claybar seemed to take most out, but not all. so im wondering if some are still caked in beyond all hell.

any specific kind of claybar to get?

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

yeah, the entire problem wasn't washing it bc i never wash or wax in the sun.. it was those damn sprinklers that I didn't think anything of for weeks. grr.

Have you tried WD40? That stuff is like majic
mckhammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang