Front bumper scratch from wood - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-12-2015, 05:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Front bumper scratch from wood

I can't win. I will never buy black again.

so i recently started parking in the garage but we have this bench there and we have the ol tennis ball setup but it's for my pathfinder, not the Mustang.. so it's not aligned. so the past few days I've been gently bumping the bench as I parked, cursing every time.

so i checked today and saw a scratch on the front, right where the wood is. I don't think it's from a car dinging me in the lot at work because it's not that big, and if it were a car, it would be a much bigger ding.

it's def from the wooden leg of the bench. It's kinda deep. I quickly tried some detail spray and it didn't really buff out. what do you think would fix it? would clay bar help?

any ideas?

again, never buying black again. lol

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2015, 05:54 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Picture?
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Might want to skip on dib also. Not any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2015, 06:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Between your recent hard water spots and bumping into things in your garage, I think you should consider investing in a DA Buffer. Big help for minor blemishes, etc.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
No offense and I'm not being a smarta$$ here, but I don't think the color of your baby is the issue. You need to keep it out of the hard water sprinklers and clear out your garage so you can safely park your Stang.

You didn't buy a Camaro... you got yourself an American Classic, so take good care of it.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

lol i can't clear out my garage, it's not my house. the issue isn't clearing it out, it's that I was an idiot the 3 times I parked it in the garage because there's absolutely no way to tell how close the front end is in this car to anything. I'm gonna tie up a second tennis ball to line up so I don't come anywhere near it this weekend, and tomorrow I'm gonna put some of those pipe insulators on the legs to prevent this.

besides my stupidity yeah, the color of the car IS the issue. I had a black truck before this that sucked just as much. my first truck was red, absolutely no issues. never saw water spots, never saw dents, nothing. black just sucks haha. it looks great, but it's a pain to keep looking great. I'm thinking on white next time.. or if in 5 years when this is paid off, a competition orange 2019 5.0 😎 haha

MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 08-12-2015, 08:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Usually if you can feel it with your finger nail it won't come out.
If you think black is bad don't get candy apple metallic, if you look at it wrong it will scratch.
I have a DA and it will remove minor clear coat scratches but that's about it.
Btw REMOVE THE BENCH lol.
Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

oh and I'll get a pic tomorrow when I back her out. I'm carpooling tomorrow so the baby can chill in the garage all nice and sound. haha

Old 08-12-2015, 09:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, you have to be extra careful with black... BUT IMO there is nothing better looking than a clean polished Mustang, so you have that going for you.

If the scratch is towards the middle of the bumper, maybe it's a sign you need to stripe it!
Old 08-12-2015, 09:45 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Like diehard said there is nothing like a great buffet. One of the greatest non mods I've ever purchased. Lol. I have black as well and nothing could replace how good my buffer has been to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
stangingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Lol buffer not buffet

stangingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangingit View Post
Lol buffer not buffet

Well there's nothing wrong with a great buffet as well.
jonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The paint on these cars is so fragile. Luckily my ocd has actually deminished a little after buying this car and accepted what a joke of a layer of paint that is on it. I have a Porta Cable and some meguires ultimate compound and polish. I just use the white pad that comes with the PC and its a life saver.. just touch up, polish and admire from a distance. One day i will put a more durable paint job on it but it still looks too good to justify it at the moment.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2015, 11:06 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
lol i can't clear out my garage, it's not my house. the issue isn't clearing it out, it's that I was an idiot the 3 times I parked it in the garage because there's absolutely no way to tell how close the front end is in this car to anything. I'm gonna tie up a second tennis ball to line up so I don't come anywhere near it this weekend, and tomorrow I'm gonna put some of those pipe insulators on the legs to prevent this.

besides my stupidity yeah, the color of the car IS the issue. I had a black truck before this that sucked just as much. my first truck was red, absolutely no issues. never saw water spots, never saw dents, nothing. black just sucks haha. it looks great, but it's a pain to keep looking great. I'm thinking on white next time.. or if in 5 years when this is paid off, a competition orange 2019 5.0 😎 haha

Why don't you measure it and tie the tennis ball up so it hits your windshield when you are close?
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Take some rubbing compound to it. Should come right out.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:51 AM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ13GT View Post
The paint on these cars is so fragile.
+1. It's like they drove the car through a mist of paint and let dry. LOL. I guess one advantage of people hitting me and getting stuff repaired is the body shop probably deposits a thicker layer of paint than the factory.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:07 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
They definately have some sort of nano spray technology going on there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2015, 05:30 AM   #18
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
so the baby can chill in the garage all nice and sound. haha

I thought the garage was the problem.....

poor impulse control
Old 08-13-2015, 10:46 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The 13-14s got the thin layers of paint, I had to get the dealership repaint a corner of the bumper because it was pealing. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1439480633.750434.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	189280 one of the reasons I got sterling gray I because you can't really see scratches and when you can't tell when the car it's really dirty.

Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:47 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Why don't you measure it and tie the tennis ball up so it hits your windshield when you are close?
thats what I'm doing this weekend. I'll keep two balls.. one further out for the pathfinder, and one closer in for the stang. we put the pipe insulators on the legs today so that's good.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlp07 View Post
The 13-14s got the thin layers of paint, I had to get the dealership repaint a corner of the bumper because it was pealing. Attachment 189280 one of the reasons I got sterling gray I because you can't really see scratches and when you can't tell when the car it's really dirty.

Holy crap your clear coat peeled already??? Let my paranoia begin.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:28 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
Built Ford tough!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:48 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
Built Ford tough!
Lol I guess I hoped that they would treat their staple with a little more care.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:47 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Lol I guess I hoped that they would treat their staple with a little more care.
Nope! I was cured of that delusion long ago.

It's a shame, really, that they don't seem to care all that much...
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Old 08-13-2015, 11:00 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

Ppl here at the dealership sucked to paint mine, took them 4 times to paint it right lol (kept peeling again). I have a friend that also has a steering gray mustang and he also told me, he had his part of the bumper peeling off.

Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:20 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

^ Gotta find a local body shop of quality...they should be able to outdo what the stealership can muster.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang