2014 Mustang V6 1" Spacers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2015, 08:52 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

2014 Mustang V6 1" Spacers

If I were to buy 1" spacers for my 2014 V6 with the 18" premium wheels, will I need to cut the lugs any to make them fit? I have heard with stock wheels you do, but a Google search turns up nothing on the 18" premium package wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Entities19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015, 09:04 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Cut the lugs?

You'll need longer wheel studs for sure so your lugs have enough to thread onto.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:07 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
+1 on longer studs
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015, 09:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.americanmuscle.com/1in-bi...l-spacers.html
They fit over the existing studs

Old 08-17-2015, 09:33 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You might need to. I had to cut down the studs a bit for the aftermarket 20's I go to fit flush with the spacers on. 6 years later, I shouldn't of done that. I just got the FR500 wheels and they fit flush with my fenders now. But now that I no longer need the 1" spacers. I have to replace the studs to avoid the fender rub I'm getting with them on. Make sure you think long term. If you plan to keep the same wheels for as long as you have your pony, then by all means. But if you know you'll want different wheel. Look at the offset, if you can get the same offset on your next wheel set. You'll be fine. If you do cut, make sure you use Anti-seize on the studs and the back of the spacer.
AngryTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:46 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'm powder coating the wheels on have and I'm keeping them. They're part of the reason I chose the pony package. Thanks for the tip!

Old 08-17-2015, 09:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

This is what I mean when I say you have to cut the stock studs. See that little bit that sticks out from the spacer? That's what needs to go in order for the wheels to sit flush. The aftermarket studs will fit just fine. I didn't need to change the studs that came on the spacer. But it may be different for others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-08-17 07.40.35.png
Views:	92
Size:	498.7 KB
ID:	189505  
Old 08-17-2015, 09:49 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Or ... just buy rims with the proper offset. 1" is a huge spacer ...
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:50 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

That's a good amount of stud to cut off. I saw one person say they only had to cut at little off the very end. I guess it depends on if the wheels will clear or not?

Old 08-17-2015, 09:56 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Or ... just buy rims with the proper offset. 1" is a huge spacer ...
+1 ^ But if you're ballin on a budget. The spacers look good, real good.

Entities, it sure is. Now that I look back at it. Maybe I should saved for a better offset than the one's I was transferring from another stang I had. But they did look mean and I did have them on for about 6 years.
So I guess it was a while before I had to look at them again. I don't plan on changing the FR500's in the near future, so I'm replacing the studs myself. Tossing the spacers.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:57 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
In the case of that spacer setup, I'd rather buy shorter studs than cut the existing studs.

I still wouldn't run a 1" spacer though.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:08 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah but being a student, I don't have a lot of expendable income lol and I'm pretty happy with the wheels that came on my car, they just need to be black. If your torque the spacers down right they are completely safe

Old 08-17-2015, 10:10 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
In the case of that spacer setup, I'd rather buy shorter studs than cut the existing studs.

I still wouldn't run a 1" spacer though.
That will be much easier than having to replace them later as you already have them. It will be a pain to swap them out. But you can do it yourself. If you're set on spacers, plan ahead. At the end of the day, it's your pony.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:18 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds good. Ill weigh the pros and cons. Thanks for the tips guys

Old 08-17-2015, 10:27 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Now let's all wait for Kevin.Cook to say "you're welcome" lol!
Old 08-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #16
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
those spacers were not what I was visualizing.......sweet and IDK if you'll need to cut them.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:37 AM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

I ran a 20mm with no trimming, you should be fine. Dont listen to all the people about spacers. I mean, Im not going to lie, they arent the safest things in the world, but just buy some good quality ones and youll be fine. Make sure to torque properly and check them again after a couple hundred miles. Ive run spacers on a few of my cars with no issues.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:22 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I got billet aluminum. And I'm torquing them to 100ft/lbs and I'll check em after 100 and 300 miles just to be safe. I know a lot of people run them, it's just those few that have bad experiences that get attention about it, and they probably didn't use them correctly. I don't drag my car or drive super aggressive so I think I'll be just fine

Old 08-17-2015, 12:02 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

You shouldn't have to cut that much off the studs, look at the back of the wheel.
There should be pockets where these studs come through. You should only have to cut off 1/4" or so and that part isn't even threaded.

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entities19 View Post
If I were to buy 1" spacers for my 2014 V6 with the 18" premium wheels, will I need to cut the lugs any to make them fit? I have heard with stock wheels you do, but a Google search turns up nothing on the 18" premium package wheels

I have the 2014 FP6 package with the 18" wheels on my car. If ypu have the same rims as me, I sweated the same thing. The rims are hollow where the spacer lugs seat against the rim. No need to cut the studs at least on rims with recesses like stock rims.
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

That was basically my whole question right there Fabman. I know the stock rims don't have room for the extra length of stud, but I didn't know if perhaps the 18" premium rims would have deep enough pockets there or not

Old 08-17-2015, 12:21 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Hampton i just looked up the FP6 (hadn't heard of that until now) and the rims look identical, just black Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1439832061.922287.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	189515

Old 08-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #23
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Didn't clarify well off my phone. Recessed area for spacer lugs-studs is to allow for wheels to mount over existing lug studs. Aka - You're good, Pull the wheel and you'll visualize it in an ah ha moment.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Old 08-17-2015, 12:31 PM   #24
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

We posted at the same time. Pull your rim and see if there is a recess allowing for extra space for lugs between lug holes on rim. Then you'll know. Buy quality spacers. Cheap ones will not have spacer studs be as secure. Ebay - Been there, done that and not again for me.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Old 08-17-2015, 12:33 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome. I posted a link to the ones I ordered at the beginning of the thread, they're the 1" billet aluminum hub centric spacers from AM

Old 08-17-2015, 12:35 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I have pony package 18s AND 1" spacers at all corners. The wheels fit over that 1/4 of stock stud sticking through since they have recesses as others have said. Slight handling improvement having them
2012 Pony Pkg 3.7 convertible, MPT tuned, 4.10's, Dynotech 3.5" DS, Borla Touring axle backs, BBK 73mm TB and ceramic shorties, Whiteline sway bars and UCA/LCA with relocation brackets, BMR adj. PHB and brace, Steeda CAI, CE frame braces, Bilstein shocks, H&R race springs, SS brake lines, full HID, GT 500 gauge pod with gauges and misc. exterior upgrades
pitboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Pitboss thanks. That puts my mind at ease lol they should arrive today and I'm putting em on when I get home from work. I'll post a picture of how it turns out

Old 08-17-2015, 12:53 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Pitboss thanks. That puts my mind at ease lol they should arrive today and I'm putting em on when I get home from work. I'll post a picture of how it turns out

We probably got the same spacers. I think I paid like 69.00 for a pair of them from AM. They are pretty nice. No wobbles either at speed. You'll like them
2012 Pony Pkg 3.7 convertible, MPT tuned, 4.10's, Dynotech 3.5" DS, Borla Touring axle backs, BBK 73mm TB and ceramic shorties, Whiteline sway bars and UCA/LCA with relocation brackets, BMR adj. PHB and brace, Steeda CAI, CE frame braces, Bilstein shocks, H&R race springs, SS brake lines, full HID, GT 500 gauge pod with gauges and misc. exterior upgrades
pitboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:56 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Yes sir those are the ones. I paid $140 for two sets. I look forward to throwing em on then!

Old 08-17-2015, 01:02 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Why Do you Need the Spacers?

Quote:

Why are you putting on the spacers to begin with?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:04 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 2006 so my wheels may be a little different, plus I have big brakes so the rotor is thinner at the hub.....which makes the studs seem longer.
1" spacer hit the wheel slightly. 1 1/4" spacers fit perfect for me.

Tuned by AED
Old 08-17-2015, 01:06 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Appearance. And like I said I don't have the money for wheels. Being a student is expensive lol

Old 08-17-2015, 01:16 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Don't let anyone tell you that they are weak or dangerous....they are misinformed.
Have a look at these pics. A couple years ago a shop that was working on my hotrod (never again) took it out for a test drive and slammed it into a center divider and broke the wheel, the rotor and the bent the axle. The only thing that DIDN'T break was the spacer. I installed these spacers in 2006, they are still on the car today and they aren't even hub-centric.
The car makes 670 rwhp and I drag race and canyon carve the cr@p out of this thing....if they were weak as some people say, they would have failed a long time ago.

Tuned by AED
Old 08-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

That's crazy (sorry about the car!) which just confirms all the horror stories are from people that don't install them correctly

Old 08-17-2015, 01:21 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's crazy (sorry about the car!) which just confirms all the horror stories are from people that don't install them correctly

Some people could eff up an anvil.

Tuned by AED

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
2014 mustang