Is V6 sway bar the same as GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2015, 11:04 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Is V6 sway bar the same as GT

I purchased a GT take off sway bar from ebay. When I tried to install it to my car, I realize that their diameters are of no difference. Below are their part numbers:

My 2014 V6 manual mustang: BR33-5482-EE-E29EA
The GT sway bar I purchased: BR33-5482-ED-E29EA

So I assume they are the same thing?

I called the dealer and they told me that the V6 mustang has the same sway bar as the GT convertible. GT coupe has a different sway bar.

Anyone knows the details?
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Its possible the GT ones are set up a little stiffer, but overall they would be the same. If you already had sway bars why would you buy more stock parts anyway even if they were from a GT? Why not go aftermarket?
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I don't want to invest too much money on it. After all, it is a V6. I am trying to save up for a Corvette or a Cayman.

Stock parts are not necessarily bad. I just put Boss springs on my car, the change in cornering is phenomenal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Its possible the GT ones are set up a little stiffer, but overall they would be the same. If you already had sway bars why would you buy more stock parts anyway even if they were from a GT? Why not go aftermarket?
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015, 12:53 PM   #4
Kevin.Cook

Well, with the v6 pp, the front sway bar was swapped with a GT. So i would assume they are a tad stiffer. So you could swap it out. You might not feel a difference and aftermarket might be better. But since you have the part, might as well put it on. Save the stock v6 one in case anything happens to the GT one.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the suggestion. If the difference is small, I might wait till fall to put it on. It is so hot in my garage right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Well, with the v6 pp, the front sway bar was swapped with a GT. So i would assume they are a tad stiffer. So you could swap it out. You might not feel a difference and aftermarket might be better. But since you have the part, might as well put it on. Save the stock v6 one in case anything happens to the GT one.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4spd View Post
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I don't want to invest too much money on it. After all, it is a V6. I am trying to save up for a Corvette or a Cayman.

Stock parts are not necessarily bad. I just put Boss springs on my car, the change in cornering is phenomenal.
Your putting parts that are made for a V8, not another V6. The springs may actually cause you to lose control in a tight turn.

So your saving up for a Vette or a Porsche. Why don't you just leave you car stock and you have more money for your new car. When are you plan on purchasing either one? 2030 or later?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:12 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Nothing wrong with a Vette', Id trade my car in for one in a second.

To be honest Im not sure its worth the time to put it in. Then on the other hand you wont know until you try...hopefully you didnt spend to much money on them.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks!

Life is short. Try all kind of cars when you can. There is no need to stick with one model car forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Nothing wrong with a Vette', Id trade my car in for one in a second.

To be honest Im not sure its worth the time to put it in. Then on the other hand you wont know until you try...hopefully you didnt spend to much money on them.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:03 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I also know that on the V6, the rear sway bar is larger diameter than in the stock V6. What I don't know is if the bigger bar is pulled off a GT or not (might very well be, as that would be easiest/cheapest for Ford).
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4spd View Post

I sure do love those Vettes. Since you are trying to save up for a vette or Cayman, why buy any parts for your just a V6? Sounds like buying a GT sway bar was a waste of money when you have a perfectly fine sway bar on the V6 Wouldn't it make more sense to put that money towards the vette or Cayman?

What was the purpose of buying the Gt sway bar? Why?????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Sway Bar Sizes from 2014 Source Book

Click image for larger version

Name:	sway bars.jpg
Views:	850
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	189557
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:40 PM   #12
Kevin.Cook

So as long as that GT sway bar isn't from a convertable, and you don't have the V6 PP, then it is a mild upgrade.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:43 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Interesting! So looks like the V6 PP gets the "fattest" sway bar combo available, assuming the stiffness isn't somehow different between the GT bars of the same diameter...
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:53 PM   #14
Kevin.Cook

Nope. The V6 PP equipped cars get a GT front swaybar and an older cobra/svt rear swaybar iirc.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:56 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the information. This is very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Old 08-19-2015, 04:41 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I installed stock GT coupe front and rear sway bars on a stock 2014 base V6 coupe and the difference is night and day, a huge improvement.

I did the rear first and it overpowered the stock V6 front sway bar. Then installed the front GT sway bar and the car handled tremendously better, a terrific improvement with both front and rear GT coupe sway bars installed, well worth doing, easy install.
GT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:05 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Excellent!

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 1 View Post
I installed stock GT coupe front and rear sway bars on a stock 2014 base V6 coupe and the difference is night and day, a huge improvement.

I did the rear first and it overpowered the stock V6 front sway bar. Then installed the front GT sway bar and the car handled tremendously better, a terrific improvement with both front and rear GT coupe sway bars installed, well worth doing, easy install.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:10 AM   #18
Kevin.Cook

No problem...
Old 08-19-2015, 10:41 AM   #19
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
If you're looking for an upgraded rear sway bar for your V6, consider one from a GT500 or Boss 302; they are larger than your stock V6 one.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:06 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
If you're looking for an upgraded rear sway bar for your V6, consider one from a GT500 or Boss 302; they are larger than your stock V6 one.
Don't know about the GT500 but on the Boss 302 it appears that only the rear is bigger than the GT or V6 PP.
Front/Rear (mm)
GT - 34.6/24.0
Boss 302 - 34.6/25.0
Laguna Seca Package - 34.6/26.0

EDIT: The 2011 GT's apparently had a different rear stabilizer bar. Shows as a 44mm. ?? The after markets are using 25mm for rear.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:51 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Bigger sway bars are not always better. This car is fastest with a moderately sized rear bar. A lot of the ESP guys use the base V6 bar in their Boss 302's just to soften the back, otherwise you cannot productively put the power down.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:05 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post

Bigger sway bars are not always better. This car is fastest with a moderately sized rear bar. A lot of the ESP guys use the base V6 bar in their Boss 302's just to soften the back, otherwise you cannot productively put the power down.
In drag racing the front sway bar is sometimes unbolted or removed. For daily driver the GT sway bars are excellent. I absolutely would NOT use the base V6 rear sway bar. I tried that and the handling was dangerous. For real road racing l would consider the larger rear bars mentioned.
GT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:47 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 1 View Post
In drag racing the front sway bar is sometimes unbolted or removed. For daily driver the GT sway bars are excellent. I absolutely would NOT use the base V6 rear sway bar. I tried that and the handling was dangerous. For real road racing l would consider the larger rear bars mentioned.
Your suspension package as a whole needs to be considered, but he's right, a lot of people use the softer rear bar with great success.

Its the nature of all RWD cars, they almost all prefer more front bar than rear, so when you start jacking the rear up, you make them that much more tail happy. If you installed a smaller rear bar and were having issues, then something else is the problem. Either that, or it wasn't properly paired with the front bar or your overall spring rates.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang