STEEDA Experience - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2015, 11:54 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
STEEDA Experience

After researching the tuning companies (Steeda, Bama, and MPT), I chose to order my tuner and tune with Steeda for their known reliability, even though they only offer 2 custom tunes when the other two offer three. After I ordered my tuner, it took about two weeks to arrive. It came preloaded with my two tunes. I picked an economy tune since I drive about 30,000 miles a year at about 95% highway. I explained this when ordering the tune.

After loading the tune, I felt absolutely no difference whatsoever, which I did not expect much with an economy tune. However, my gas mileage on the highway went down and my gas mileage around town went up. I spoke with TJ and he said I could set up an appointment to datalog next time I am down in their area. After that conversation, I went back to the stock tune until I could make it down there.

Weeks went by and I did not get a chance to make it down to the Steeda office. I had since ported my manifolds and removed the insert in my BBK CAI. So I just decided to get a new tune. I sent Steeda a tune request on Monday, July 27th. I knew removing the insert was something new that not many people have done yet. So after a week of not hearing anything, I called. The person I spoke to said I could email Matt and ask for an update. So I emailed Matt and called. He said that the tuner that they use was busy and it might take a little longer, but said he would call and find out for me. Days went by and no call or email. Only after speaking with TJ on this forum was when I got a one line email from Matt saying it would be a few more days.

Fast forward to August 10th, still nothing. I contact TJ again for an update, and Matt sends me an email that he needs more information from me regarding the CAI. So even though I submitted my tune request two weeks ago, Steeda did not even look at it to see if there were any issues...even after all the calls and emails. He told me I had to put the insert back into my CAI because they weren't sure how to tune for it.

Last Friday afternoon, still nothing. I contact TJ for the last time and tell him I have had no updates and that it will be three weeks on Monday that I have been waiting for a tune that wasn't even programmed for my mods. I don't him that I have given up on Steeda. Wouldn't you know, I received a blank email from Matt with my tune at 5:30pm.

Now, back on Wednesday (August 12th) of the third week, I contacted MPT and explained my situation. I had my tune by Thursday night and dataloged by Friday. My stang is running great (with the BBK insert removed) and I couldn't be happier with it. Also, no engine codes at all.

Very disappointed with Steeda as a whole (minus TJ). Very sorry that I bought my tuner through them. Now I have to pay each time I make any mods. I don't plan on even trying the tune that was sent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Why do you have to pay each time you add mods?

You have 6 months for updates if needed.

They are very good about datalogging if needed.

If you add shorties a tune update is not required.

Glad you are happy with MPT.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I guess I am glad I saw this....been on the fence between MPT and Steeda. Most things I have read indicated MPT is a bit stronger but I liked Steeda solely for the premise that they work with Ford and I thought that should there ever be a warranty issue (I have Ford ESP Premium Care to 120,000 miles) I thought I would be better with Steeda.

Not to hijack the thread - but does it really matter whose tune you have OR just that you have one?
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015, 09:35 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Uh, yeah, who tunes your car matters.

I have not heard of any issues with the Steeda tuners before, that sucks that that happened. And I don't say that because I have a Steeda car or anything, I've just never had a problem with anything I've ever bought from them.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:58 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
If you don't care if your engine explodes then no it doesn't matter
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

OK guys - I did not mean does it matter who tunes your engine? Obviously some of you are a little more literal. I meant - As it relates to warranty issues with Ford, does it matter who tunes your engine? I thought the prior sentence would have led you to this point but I was wrong.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Due to our mustangs having an adaptive ECU, it will take about 50 miles in order to feel the full effects of the tune. Same thing happened to me when I first loaded my tune from Bama. Gave it awhile and it finally started to wake up.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:00 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbamafan View Post
I guess I am glad I saw this....been on the fence between MPT and Steeda. Most things I have read indicated MPT is a bit stronger but I liked Steeda solely for the premise that they work with Ford and I thought that should there ever be a warranty issue (I have Ford ESP Premium Care to 120,000 miles) I thought I would be better with Steeda.

Not to hijack the thread - but does it really matter whose tune you have OR just that you have one?

Does that mean Steeda tuning does not void the warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Odai1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:33 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odai1437 View Post
Does that mean Steeda tuning does not void the warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Any aftermarket tune COULD void the warranty. With that said, Steeda has a close working relationship with Ford and tunes some of Fords specialty vehicles. Take that for what its worth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:07 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Which is exactly why I went with them originally. I really hope my case was an isolated incident.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:00 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf stang View Post
Why do you have to pay each time you add mods?

You have 6 months for updates if needed.

They are very good about datalogging if needed.

If you add shorties a tune update is not required.

Glad you are happy with MPT.
In regard to MPT, this. After 6 months, it's only $20 for an update and that gets you a 60 day window for more changes/datalogs/etc.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:47 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Right. Because I bought my tuner through Steeda, I have to pay for any MPT tunes that I want. If I bought the tuner through MPT, 3 tunes are included free. Basically, I lost out on $210 ($70 x 3 tunes)
Old 08-18-2015, 07:52 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'd be raising hell right now if I were you TBTH. Be an ***, call them every hour, escalate to a manager, email corporate. I know TJ is taking care of you but he is just one person. Even the best rep can only do so much.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:02 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbamafan View Post

I don't think there's a clear/easy answer to your question. I think it primarily rests on the dealer you go to and the problem involved. For example, how strong a case is it that the tune was the cause of the specific problem.
This is only my personal take on it.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:08 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Just to interject for a brief moment & explain the delays that we were having on our end. The OP indicated that he had a BBK CAI & that his mechanic removed the insert.

To our knowledge & our team confirmed this - there is no insert that can be removed from the BBK intake. We spoke to BBK & this is what they provided regarding the insert "IS NOT TO BE REMOVED” This is where the added time was needed in writing the tune.

Our tuning dept. was working to resolve this & update the tune ... there was some back & forth emails/questions that needed to be answered by both the OP & our tuning team.

We are continuously writing tunes & updates for customers, we have a tremendous track record when it comes to safety & reliability with our tunes. Also, some of the delay in writing the tune was because of the order the tune was received in regards to other tunes.

Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience & I understand your frustration ... our team was trying to understand why the insert was removed & had to do their due diligence prior to trying to write the tune.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:11 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Always 2 sides to every story. And is also the issue with a baseline "canned" tune. I highly doubt removing that insert in the BBK intake is going to help performance anyway seeing as a CAI itself is not going to make any performance difference over the stock airbox.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:23 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

There are going to be different attributes with the different tunes on the market. We write our tunes to be safe, reliable & powerful.

There is a certain "sweet spot" from a power standpoint that we write our tunes to fall within ... we won't go past that point. Yes, other tuners may be more powerful but Steeda focuses on keeping your investment safe & to reduce the chance to precipitate damage to your engine - like mentioned above, we have a tremendous track record for safety & reliability.

I would love the opportunity to help you with your tune & get your feedback ... let me know if I can help assist with your order, you won't be disappointed.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:25 AM   #18
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
Just to interject for a brief moment & explain the delays that we were having on our end. The OP indicated that he had a BBK CAI & that his mechanic removed the insert.

To our knowledge & our team confirmed this - there is no insert that can be removed from the BBK intake. We spoke to BBK & this is what they provided regarding the insert "IS NOT TO BE REMOVED” This is where the added time was needed in writing the tune.

Our tuning dept. was working to resolve the tune & there was some back & forth emails/questions that needed to be answered.

We are continuously writing tunes & updates for customers, we have a tremendous track record when it comes to safety & reliability with our tunes. Also, some of the delay in writing the tune was because of the order the tune was received in regards to other tunes.

Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience & I understand your frustration ... our team was trying to understand why the insert was removed & had to do their due diligence prior to trying to write the tune.

Best Regards,

TJ
No hate or disrespect to anyone with this...

If someone is willing to start tearing things apart to fabricate something different that no one has used or heard of - and is also not recommended, then one would assume this is a "Do at your own risk" item and no one is to be blamed for delays or lack of info besides oneself.

By reading this, we can not fault Steeda as they are doing their best to go above and beyond for something new and technically out of scope. Since this is not even recommended by the vendor.

This would be like calling Ford to see if aftermarket gears are covered under Warranty.

The thing is, once tuning vendors start doing these 1 offs for custom stuff no one recommends (not even the intake vendor), then it is expected to be the norm. Thus, potentially opening a can of worms for Steeda because now if they write a tune for this and it backfires. Because now they are liable.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:55 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT227 View Post
Right. Because I bought my tuner through Steeda, I have to pay for any MPT tunes that I want. If I bought the tuner through MPT, 3 tunes are included free. Basically, I lost out on $210 ($70 x 3 tunes)
With MPT, you only need 1 tune.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:01 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Again, not blaming Steeda for not being able to tune for the removed insert. I am truly disappointed in their customer service. I received no calls, emails, or anything unless I called or asked TJ to see what's going on.

With the insert out, I would not say that there is an increase in power, but it builds up much smoother along the rpm band than with it in.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

Again, not blaming Steeda for not being able to tune for the removed insert. I am truly disappointed in their customer service. I received no calls, emails, or anything unless I called or asked TJ to see what's going on.

With the insert out, I would not say that there is an increase in power, but it builds up much smoother along the rpm band than with it in.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang