Odd transmission (?) noise after repair - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2015, 05:38 PM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Odd transmission (?) noise after repair

So, as some folks might remember, my A/T tailshaft had a lot of extra play in it. Last month, I took the car to the top-rated transmission shop in the area, and they replaced a bad needle bearing and thrust washer.

Ever since taking the car back, there's been a grind/whir from the front of the drivetrain that increases with driveline speed. I've taken the car back to the shop twice for them to investigate, and they agree that it is a driveline noise, heard best when the car is either accelerating or decelerating in gear. Putting in the new (lighter) DSS aluminum driveshaft (yay group buy) quieted things down a bit, but the noise has steadily grown in volume. I also can hear it over a wider and wider speed range (currently up to 40 mph). I also now notice the sound changes in pitch when the A/T shifts.

Spoke with the shop today, and they seem to feel it is from the rear end. They said for the first time today that they noticed odd backlash in the rear end. They state that holding one rear wheel held still and turning the pinion flange, they felt backlash, then resistance, than more backlash. They think the spider gears are bad. I don't agree with this, as the sound is heard best when the car is driving straight, it started immediately after they repaired the transmission, and is coming from the front and not the rear (the aluminum driveshaft also amplifies noises from the rear end, not quiets them as was the case hear). I also think that you would normally expect to feel backlash from ring+pinion, then if you kept applying torque (with one rear wheel held still), additional backlash from the spider gears.

The has at least agreed to take the car and listen with chassis ears to localize the noise. The shop has loads of glowing reviews, so I don't think they're trying to screw me, but I imagine they don't want to open up a transmission a second time and potentially not make profit on a labor warranty repair.

Thoughts? Obviously you can only go on what I've written, but would appreciate input from the fine folks of ME.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015, 05:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Was the pinion angle checked/reset when the new 1 pc drive shaft went in?
EDIT: BTW...why wasn't the transmission work done under warranty?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

^I don't think so (didn't ask them to), but the DSS shaft has a rear CV joint so pinion angle problems shouldn't be a problem (eek...sounds redundant!). The car is also at stock ride height with stock suspension geometry.

Also, the noise was present and growing louder with the stock shaft. It's just like putting in the new shaft knocked down the volume knob a few notches but the noise is still getting louder at the same rate. My guess is the lighter aluminum shaft is putting less load on the drivetrain during accel/decel.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2015, 06:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I wish I could give you an advice man but try doing a second opinion try the shop I told you about they are pretty good and would answer question you have.

MPT tune, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

^They're definitely on the shortlist, but I want to avoid having too many cooks in the kitchen right now (especially as that might void the labor warranty from the shop I'm using now). If they can't/won't fix it, then I'll definitely be seeking a second opinion.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
^They're definitely on the shortlist, but I want to avoid having too many cooks in the kitchen right now (especially as that might void the labor warranty from the shop I'm using now). If they can't/won't fix it, then I'll definitely be seeking a second opinion.
Alryt man goodluck, by the way my car drove perfectly all the way to the show and I actually like your driveshaft compared to my old one when it was fine. It was so quite and no more vibrations for some reason.

MPT tune, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
Old 08-17-2015, 07:40 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

^ Sounds like you may have had an out-of-balance shaft from the factory...that slowly got worse as you put miles on it. You'll like the aluminum one even more!

Old 08-17-2015, 07:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
^ Sounds like you may have had an out-of-balance shaft from the factory...that slowly got worse as you put miles on it. You'll like the aluminum one even more!
Im debating if I should install it myself or have the shop do it.. It will be coming tomorrow.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:44 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

OK...car is back at the transmission shop for them to figure out the problem. Will update when I know.

Fortunately he shop is walking distance from where I live, which makes things a bit easier.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Sorry to hear what happened to your transmission.

It is interesting to hear that aluminum ds quiets things down. You are comparing it with the stock steel ds, is that correct?

I have heard from others that aluminum ds tends to magnify driveline noises.

Quote:
So, as some folks might remember, my A/T tailshaft had a lot of extra play in it. Last month, I took the car to the top-rated transmission shop in the area, and they replaced a bad needle bearing and thrust washer.

Ever since taking the car back, there's been a grind/whir from the front of the drivetrain that increases with driveline speed. I've taken the car back to the shop twice for them to investigate, and they agree that it is a driveline noise, heard best when the car is either accelerating or decelerating in gear. Putting in the new (lighter) DSS aluminum driveshaft (yay group buy) quieted things down a bit, but the noise has steadily grown in volume. I also can hear it over a wider and wider speed range (currently up to 40 mph). I also now notice the sound changes in pitch when the A/T shifts.

Spoke with the shop today, and they seem to feel it is from the rear end. They said for the first time today that they noticed odd backlash in the rear end. They state that holding one rear wheel held still and turning the pinion flange, they felt backlash, then resistance, than more backlash. They think the spider gears are bad. I don't agree with this, as the sound is heard best when the car is driving straight, it started immediately after they repaired the transmission, and is coming from the front and not the rear (the aluminum driveshaft also amplifies noises from the rear end, not quiets them as was the case hear). I also think that you would normally expect to feel backlash from ring+pinion, then if you kept applying torque (with one rear wheel held still), additional backlash from the spider gears.

The has at least agreed to take the car and listen with chassis ears to localize the noise. The shop has loads of glowing reviews, so I don't think they're trying to screw me, but I imagine they don't want to open up a transmission a second time and potentially not make profit on a labor warranty repair.

Thoughts? Obviously you can only go on what I've written, but would appreciate input from the fine folks of ME.
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:59 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Yes, comparing it to the stock DS. Regarding the aluminum DS, the transmission noise got quieter, but overall driveline noise from the rear axle did increase.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Well, I hadn't heard from the shop for three days after dropping off my car, so I called them. They confirmed the issue is the transmission (yay I was right), but they say they were waiting on me to tell them how to proceed. It would've been nice if they had called to let me know that...LOL!

Old 08-27-2015, 02:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well, I hadn't heard from the shop for three days after dropping off my car, so I called them. They confirmed the issue is the transmission (yay I was right), but they say they were waiting on me to tell them how to proceed. It would've been nice if they had called to let me know that...LOL!
I hope you're not paying for it and it will be covered with there warranty.. What was the problem?

MPT tune, Axle exchange Aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter, roush louvers, and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
Old 08-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

They don't know...they have to drop the trans to figure it out. I reminded them that the problem only started after their repair and that I assumed the labor warranty applied.

Time to see how this top-rated shop manages.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
At least they confirmed that it is the transmission. Step one!
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:48 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

True. They didn't seem to like my "I'm right" happy dance in their lobby, though, for some odd reason...;p

Old 08-27-2015, 04:14 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
True. They didn't seem to like my "I'm right" happy dance in their lobby, though, for some odd reason...;p

This guy ^^^.

2013 pp mca 3.7 glass roof
2.5% dl tinted windows
Bbk shortys
20"resonators
Roush ab.
Bama/mpt tunes

More coming visually for now.
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:08 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

So, after a bit more phone tag with the shop, they tell me they have the transmission apart and found some worn components (didn't say what). They will order those tomorrow, let me know the cost, and they will eat the labor. Hopefully none of the parts are expensive...I kinda doubt it for OEM Ford stuff.

I should have my car back Thursday (maybe).

Old 08-31-2015, 08:36 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Sorry the joker in me wanted to say..
1, Remove auto transmission and discard.
2. Replace with Manual.
JK. 😝
I hope the get it resolved with minimal cost to you.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:30 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Sorry the joker in me wanted to say..
1, Remove auto transmission and discard.
2. Replace with Manual.
JK. 😝
I hope the get it resolved with minimal cost to you.

Sent from LG G3.
Well played, sir.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:47 AM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Update is they are replacing a planetary gear, bearing, and a few other assorted parts totaling another $1300...this is getting expensive.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:29 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I think might have been asked before, but the 5 year power train warranty doesn't cover it?

Sent from LG G3.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:56 AM   #23
Staff

Regular
Staff

well at least they are covering labor....
Old 09-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

^ That's true, Mud...otherwise I'd just hand them my wallet.

@FastFord13, I'm using an independent shop (transmission specialist) because the dealer royally fudged my car doing warranty work in the past. I actually wonder if they mistreated the car somehow that has led to these problems.

I am currently battling with Ford to get the costs of the initial repair reimbursed. That work was an emergency repair, and under (very) limited circumstances Ford will reimburse under the powertrain warranty (maybe).

This car had better be ready to drive me to the moon once its fixed...LOL.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:46 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I wish you luck and hope everything gets sorted out. Keep us posted on the outcome.

Sent from LG G3.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:34 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Don't kid yourself on their labor. You can be sure their recouping some on the cost of the parts.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:30 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Yes, that's I want to see their receipt for the parts order. Think they'll show it to me?

Old 09-01-2015, 08:34 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes, that's I want to see their receipt for the parts order. Think they'll show it to me?
You'll see the retail(high) price, not the discounted price that they actually pay. I do believe. But that's typical, no matter what.
Don't lose any sleep over it.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:09 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

I do suspect you're right. This shop's tagline is "the straight answer people," though.......

Old 09-02-2015, 09:05 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
So, after a bit more phone tag with the shop, they tell me they have the transmission apart and found some worn components (didn't say what). They will order those tomorrow, let me know the cost, and they will eat the labor. Hopefully none of the parts are expensive...I kinda doubt it for OEM Ford stuff.

I should have my car back Thursday (maybe).
How many miles on your tranny, if I can ask?
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:28 AM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

About 57k original miles...way too early for something to wear out with normal driving.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #32
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
About 57k original miles...way too early for something to wear out with normal driving.
and people said the MT82s were fragile...
Old 09-02-2015, 09:57 AM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

The 6R80 is generally pretty reliable, which is what makes this so weird. Then again, my Focus felt like it was ready to fall apart at 70k miles, so who knows.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #34
Staff

Regular
Staff

Diehard is correct about the dual price (and the sleep part) at least they are dealing with it fairly. I used to work at a NAPA store and depending on the customer their cost was 30-50% less than list. The one that I object to is "shop supplies" esp if they try and add on 10%. That is a big old bundle of rags
Old 09-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

^ Well, they do need a steady supply of rags for the shop...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang