Aluminum driveshaft (axle exchange) - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
It's hard to believe that the torque from a V6 engine would be able to break a driveshaft, especially considering you were only at about 120 MPH. Glad to know you were not hurt. I thought this would only occur in a GT with the old two piece driveshaft and when the speed is above 140 MPH.

Is your new aluminum ds 3.5 inch or 4 inch? Looking forward to hearing your review of your new aluminum ds. I am trying to learn whether if it is worth it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
Yes it's a 2013 v6, I made it up to 120 and was driving pretty hard before that. I don't know why it broke..

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2015, 09:04 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4spd View Post
It's hard to believe that the torque from a V6 engine would be able to break a driveshaft, especially considering you were only at about 120 MPH.

I thought this would only occur in a GT with the old two piece driveshaft and when the speed is above 140 MPH.

Glad to know you were not hurt. Looking forward to hearing your review of your new aluminum ds. I am trying to learn whether if it is worth it.
It's hard to believe too, at first it was making that chirping noise but that was already starting the breaking point of the stock ds, v6 also comes with the two piece ds which is the weakest point it's in the middle.

So my ds is done and all I can say that it is very smooth it goes through the rpm really nice, drove it to 90 mph and it was effortless, and I don't know if it's from the new ds but my throttle response is very responsive, very touchy or maybe my mind is just playing tricks on me. I don't know lol.. Peace of mind is why I bought this ds I'm glad I did.

MPT tune, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:34 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the review. Glad to know you like it.

How was the installation process? Did you do it yourself on jack stands?

Does V6 use the same ds as GT?
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2015, 10:25 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Driveshaft is not the same between gt & v6.

It's not the torque that broke it, it's just a part designed for normal driving and not overly stout when it comes to turning a lot of RPMs, which with his 3.73's even though he was only going 120, the shaft was well over it's critical speed. IIRC with 3.73's the stock shaft passes it's critical rpm speed after like 110.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I went to my shop and got it installed for free, it only took him 30 mins. To install it he has a lift though.

MPT tune, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
Old 08-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post

It's not the torque that broke it, it's just a part designed for normal driving and not overly stout when it comes to turning a lot of RPMs, which with his 3.73's even though he was only going 120, the shaft was well over it's critical speed. IIRC with 3.73's the stock shaft passes it's critical rpm speed after like 110.
Thanks for clarifying this out and you are right, I'm very happy with my upgrade and got this ds for peace of mind knowing that Ill be fine in a certain speed.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:45 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for sharing.

I heard that from the year of 2013 or 2014, Ford has changed the ds to one piece already?

Quote:

Old 08-22-2015, 11:48 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for sharing.

I heard that from the year of 2013 or 2014, Ford has changed the ds to one piece already?
FYI sir. No they didn't! The 2013, 2014's have the same exact garbage two piece driveshaft.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:54 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like I need to get one sometime in the future as well.

I am mainly appealed by the better throttle response as mentioned by Shunc01, as I rarely push my car even near 100 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
FYI sir. No they didn't! The 2013, 2014's have the same exact garbage two piece driveshaft.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:58 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sounds like I need to get one sometime in the future as well.

I am mainly appealed by the better throttle response as mentioned by Shunc01, as I rarely push my car even near 100 mph.
I bought my one piece aluminum driveshaft a few years back and well worth it. I have the one from the Axle Exchange and smooth at 140 mph.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:03 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Great to know axle exchange works for you! Do they offer specials at certain time of the year?

Quote:
I bought my one piece aluminum driveshaft a few years back and well worth it. I have the one from the Axle Exchange and smooth at 140 mph.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:06 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Great to know axle exchange works for you! Do they offer specials at certain time of the year?
I have never seen it go on sale. You do get a 6% AM discount for being on the forum.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you for the info.

Quote:
I have never seen it go on sale. You do get a 6% AM discount for being on the forum.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:21 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

They are on sale now at AM for 689 I guess plus 6% discount.. I got my axle exchange in eBay for 570 shipped so I got really lucky and it's brand new the guy didn't have a chance to install it until he traded in his car. The throttle response is amazing and it just glides through higher rpm without any effort.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:26 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Here's the ds I got from axle exchange... I can't believe how light these are compared to my stock pos.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1440264298892.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	189873   Click image for larger version

Name:	1440264310637.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	189874  

Old 08-22-2015, 12:52 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

It looks beautiful. Glad to see you get a good deal.

Quote:
Here's the ds I got from axle exchange... I can't believe how light these are compared to my stock pos.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

I've been very happy with my 3.5" dynotech shaft. It's also the lightest of the options available @ 18lbs. The stocker is 28-29lbs. DSS and axle exchange are both 20-21lbs.

The axle exchange unit is actually on sale on AM for 689 right now.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:58 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've been very happy with my 3.5" dynotech shaft. It's also the lightest of the options available @ 18lbs. The stocker is 28-29lbs. DSS and axle exchange are both 20-21lbs.
You're right it's about 20 lbs and very well made, I mean every aftermarket ds is better than the stock ds.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:10 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

I love the fact that dynotech offers a 3.5 inch option. I really think 4 inch is an overkill for the V6. Larger diameter has the same effect as greater rotational mass.

Quote:

The axle exchange unit is actually on sale on AM for 689 right now.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:00 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You're right it's about 20 lbs and very well made, I mean every aftermarket ds is better than the stock ds.

You got it sir. Any of the aftermarket one piece aluminum driveshafts are going to be far better than the factory two piece crap. I have no idea if the Axle Exchange one is better than the other brands and don't really care. When I was going to buy my one piece I did as much research possible on the them. At that time I couldn't find any issues or negative comments about the axle exchange one piece.

I think either brand will be a home run but for me I am happy with the Axle Exchange one piece. It hasn't emploded on me yet at speeds of excess of 130 mph so what more could I ask for. Lol.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:18 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

I found a used axle exchange one and this is what the seller says this:

The reason I m selling it was because I had installed 4.10 gears and they were whining so the noise would travel through the shaft all through the drivetrain. Since its aluminum noise travel easier than steel but there s nothing wrong with it. I bought it from American Muscle.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:54 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The reason I m selling it was because I had installed 4.10 gears and they were whining so the noise would travel through the shaft all through the drivetrain. Since its aluminum noise travel easier than steel but there s nothing wrong with it. I bought it from American Muscle.
I have 3:73 gears and don't have any whining noise. No idea about 4:10 gears

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
Old 08-22-2015, 03:05 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

I had a Camaro many years ago and had a very similar experience with an aftermarket ds. There was no vibration of any kind at all, just lots of drone. The camaro still had stock differential gears. I had to return the ds in the end.

Quote:
I have 3:73 gears and don't have any whining noise. No idea about 4:10 gears

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
Old 08-22-2015, 03:05 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

It is pretty much garbage but it is not anymore a 2 piece than the aluminum ones. All drive shafts must vary in length while driving so they can't be in one piece. It is just that Ford put the joint in the middle instead of on the end. True 2 piece driveshafts have a support bearing mounted to the car in the middle of the shaft which the GT has.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:32 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You got it sir. Any of the aftermarket one piece aluminum driveshafts are going to be far better than the factory two piece crap. I have no idea if the Axle Exchange one is better than the other brands and don't really care. When I was going to buy my one piece I did as much research possible on the them. At that time I couldn't find any issues or negative comments about the axle exchange one piece.

I think either brand will be a home run but for me I am happy with the Axle Exchange one piece. It hasn't emploded on me yet at speeds of excess of 130 mph so what more could I ask for. Lol.

That's right.... You hit the nail in the head. πŸ˜‰

Old 08-22-2015, 03:37 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have 373 gears and I have no whine so far, iv been driving it all day so far so good...

Old 08-22-2015, 03:40 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

I guess what he got is a defective one.

Quote:
I have 373 gears and I have no whine so far, iv been driving it all day so far so good...

Old 08-22-2015, 03:45 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I guess what he got is a defective one.
Or he probably mistaken it for his driveline, there is so much noise that you can consider and it is not only in the driveline, ex tire noise, bad wheel bearing, shocks etc. Or maybe a bad item.

MPT tune, Axle exchange Aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter, roush louvers, and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
Old 08-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #64
Registered Member

Regular

I do notice some increased rear axle noise with the Al one-piece vs stock shaft, but I can easily live with it. Way better than the vibrations and clunk I was getting with the stock unit. The aftermarket shafts are just balanced much better.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:35 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robostang View Post
My offer still stands for the use of my lift if you run into problems. It won't be the first one-piece drive shaft to be installed on it. I know it is a haul to get here but I figured I would throw it out there anyway.
If that offer stands I may just come knocking. Going to be getting mine done next spring maybe....still gotta install my bloody lowering spring too. Its been 8 months since i got them
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:52 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

What do you mean by rear axle noise? Is the noise from the differential or your axle bearing area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
I do notice some increased rear axle noise with the Al one-piece vs stock shaft, but I can easily live with it. Way better than the vibrations and clunk I was getting with the stock unit. The aftermarket shafts are just balanced much better.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:26 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
If that offer stands I may just come knocking. Going to be getting mine done next spring maybe....still gotta install my bloody lowering spring too. Its been 8 months since i got them

Maybe we will do them together. Been on my wish list for a while. Maybe Santa will drop one down the chimney for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:41 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

This is the factory ds and compared to axle exchange ds..
Axle exchange is much beefier than the stock one as you can see the factory one is really rusty. I don't know if the aluminum one will rust in time, I hope not.. The factory ds is 30 lbs while axle exchange is only 20 lbs. I'm glad I didn't install it myself since I don't have a lift and to added bonus I got my ds installed free.. I guess being nice pays off and bringing them coffee and donut everytime I come there. Lol..

MPT tune, Axle exchange Aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter, roush louvers, and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1440286850737.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	189882   Click image for larger version

Name:	1440286862199.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	189883  

Name:	1440286872060.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	189884   Click image for larger version

Name:	1440286893082.jpg
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	189885  

Name:	1440286904494.jpg
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	189886  
Old 08-22-2015, 07:19 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

If you have whine, any at all.. An aluminum ds will carry more of the sound and magnify it slightly.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:29 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you have whine, any at all.. An aluminum ds will carry more of the sound and magnify it slightly.
So far nope no whine at all been driving it all day hope it won't change.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang