Aluminum driveshaft (axle exchange) - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2015, 07:58 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Do you have a picture of your broken ds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
This is the factory ds and compared to axle exchange ds..
Axle exchange is much beefier than the stock one as you can see the factory one is really rusty. I don't know if the aluminum one will rust in time, I hope not.. The factory ds is 30 lbs while axle exchange is only 20 lbs. I'm glad I didn't install it myself since I don't have a lift and to added bonus I got my ds installed free.. I guess being nice pays off and bringing them coffee and donut everytime I come there. Lol..

MPT tune, Axle exchange Aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter, roush louvers, and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2015, 08:05 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4spd View Post
Do you have a picture of your broken ds?
No I left it in the shop, and dont have a picture since I was in a rush to get home and get ready for the show the following morning.. He showed me where the part fails it is where the rubber part of the driveshaft in that middle, it was moving and it is not supposed to be like that.

MPT tune, Axle exchange Aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter, roush louvers, and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:40 PM   #73
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
If you have whine, any at all.. An aluminum ds will carry more of the sound and magnify it slightly.
I noticed this. I've had a bit of gear whine that got louder with the aluminum DS...not a big deal.
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2015, 10:03 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
I noticed this. I've had a bit of gear whine that got louder with the aluminum DS...not a big deal.
Tim I don't really know what this whine is, do you wanna ride along with my car? And see if you can hear this whine with mine.. I went for a drive to DQ just now and the road was all quite and didn't hear any whine at all except with my cupped tires. Maybe you guys have problem with your gears or something..

Old 08-22-2015, 11:09 PM   #75
Registered Member

Regular

^ Thanks, man, but it's definitely some minimal gear whine from the ring and pinion. Not getting worse, not a big deal, and I'm not going to stress about it. I had *crazy* whine during accel after the dealer messed around with the rear axle and they never could fix it right--I had to pay an independent guy to rebuild the whole thing and correct whatever the dealer fools did. #FordFail

Now if the transmission shop can figure out what the grind from my transmission is (only appeared after they serviced it), I'll be happy as a clam. It should be on their dime as they have a labor warranty.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:41 AM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
^ Thanks, man, but it's definitely some minimal gear whine from the ring and pinion. Not getting worse, not a big deal, and I'm not going to stress about it. I had *crazy* whine during accel after the dealer messed around with the rear axle and they never could fix it right--I had to pay an independent guy to rebuild the whole thing and correct whatever the dealer fools did. #FordFail

Now if the transmission shop can figure out what the grind from my transmission is (only appeared after they serviced it), I'll be happy as a clam. It should be on their dime as they have a labor warranty.
Alryt man, I'm hoping everything will be squared away for you. Keep us posted.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:55 AM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
One question about the removal of the old ds.

When you break off the drieshaft bolts on both ends , do you just apply the emergency brake and let the differential gear demobilize the ds? Or you just use a pry bar on the cv joint? Or it is best to use an impact tool?
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang