Aluminum driveshaft (axle exchange) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Aluminum driveshaft (axle exchange)

Hello guys as some of you may know I blew up my stock driveshaft right before the American muscle show but just fixed it on time thanks too Tym, mud and this forum or else I wouldn't have made it. Now I bought a driveshaft from axle exchange I'm pretty excited about it, and don't have to worry about my stock driveshaft blowing up again, trust me it's the scariest feeling. I have a question do I need to call Mpt to change my tune or I should be all set.?

MPT tune, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2015, 12:36 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

Driveshaft shouldn't affect tune settings.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Driveshaft shouldn't affect tune settings.
Thanks Kev, yeah that's what I thought just want to make sure.. Do you feel anything at all with the upgraded shaft or just peace of mind knowing it's not gonna break on you.

MPT tune, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
Kevin.Cook

Maybe with a Manual I will feel it, but with an Auto - negative. The Auto does it's own thing so you don't feel much going on. At least, I didn't.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Maybe with a Manual I will feel it, but with an Auto - negative. The Auto does it's own thing so you don't feel much going on. At least, I didn't.
Okay good to know, just knowing that my aftermarket ds is safer than my stock is a win win to me and I can push it even harder now lol.. Hey did you have a shop put your ds? It looks doable and I like working on my cars but I don't know someone who it themselves. Just want your opinion.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #6
Kevin.Cook

I went to my wife's uncles house and did it. He has a lift. Need a 12 point socket and a hammer to bang on it to loosen up the rust. lol.

I would get a DS Safety loop either way.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I went to my wife's uncles house and did it. He has a lift. Need a 12 point socket and a hammer to bang on it to loosen up the rust. lol.

I would get a DS Safety loop either way.
Okay got it,, wait a minute what's ds safety loop?

Old 08-18-2015, 12:57 PM   #8
Kevin.Cook

If your DS breaks off at all, the DS Safety Loop will help prevent it from taking out other parts on the car, such as exhaust, gas tank, etc. lol. Just depends on how catastrophic the situation is XD
Old 08-18-2015, 01:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If your DS breaks off at all, the DS Safety Loop will help prevent it from taking out other parts on the car, such as exhaust, gas tank, etc. lol. Just depends on how catastrophic the situation is XD
Oh oh... It's like a brace just to catch the ds in case it feel off.. Hmmm it makes sense.. Thanks bud.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:06 PM   #10
Kevin.Cook

No problem
Old 08-18-2015, 04:17 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
+1 to the safety loop.

As to feeling it, the lighter shaft isn't something you'll likely notice when you put it on. However drive around with it for a while and if you go back to stock you certainly feel the change then with the added weight back on. I did big time when I took off my dynotech and temporarily put the stocker back in chasing down a resonance after my gear/DS/LCA install.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
+1 to the safety loop.

As to feeling it, the lighter shaft isn't something you'll likely notice when you put it on. However drive around with it for a while and if you go back to stock you certainly feel the change then with the added weight back on. I did big time when I took off my dynotech and temporarily put the stocker back in chasing down a resonance after my gear/DS/LCA install.
Interesting thanks for the input, is it really that easy to install this thing? I have installed my shocks, headers and some minor things but never driveshaft.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:40 PM   #13
Kevin.Cook

It is literally just 8 12-point bolts. 4 on each end. Remove the bolts and drop the rear end of the driveshaft down and slide it out. Might have to bang on it with a hammer to loosen it due to rust.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It is literally just 8 12-point bolts. 4 on each end. Remove the bolts and drop the rear end of the driveshaft down and slide it out. Might have to bang on it with a hammer to loosen it due to rust.
Ok sounds good to me, I will do it.. There won't be no rust since they just took it out last week to put another stock driveshaft just to hold me up for the show.. I like to post on how to install them to give me some confidence.. Trust me it helps.. ☺

Old 08-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #15
Kevin.Cook

No problem. The only issue I could foresee is if you don't have the car lifted high enough then you might not be able to slide the driveshaft completely down/out. I had mine on a lift so....lol.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No problem. The only issue I could foresee is if you don't have the car lifted high enough then you might not be able to slide the driveshaft completely down/out. I had mine on a lift so....lol.
Lucky you, I have jack stands and a ramp, I should be able to squeeze them out..

Old 08-18-2015, 05:26 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
Hello guys as some of you may know I blew up my stock driveshaft right before the American muscle show but just fixed it on time thanks too Tym, mud and this forum or else I wouldn't have made it. Now I bought a driveshaft from axle exchange I'm pretty excited about it, and don't have to worry about my stock driveshaft blowing up again, trust me it's the scariest feeling. I have a question do I need to call Mpt to change my tune or I should be all set.?

Nope. There is no tune for a one piece.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:34 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Nope. There is no tune for a one piece.

Thanks sir.. It was nice talking to you at the show finally met the world's v6 defender..

Old 08-18-2015, 06:47 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks sir.. It was nice talking to you at the show finally met the world's v6 defender..

Very kind sir. I will continue on my quest to bring truth and justice to all the world's 3.7 V6's. Looking forward to seeing you next year as well as the others and members that were not there this show.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:20 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Got my package delivered today.. Wish me luck I hope I have no problem in clearance issues.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2015, 04:41 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Gotta be installing this tonight...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1440020430407.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	189700   Click image for larger version

Name:	1440020441102.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	189701  

Old 08-19-2015, 04:44 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

The rubber boot goes in the rear right?

Old 08-19-2015, 04:46 PM   #23
Kevin.Cook

Quote:

That's what my wife always assumes.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:06 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's what my wife always assumes.
Really? Lol.. I'm serious man need some advice.. And also can I jack up the pumpkin so I will have more room.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:17 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
My offer still stands for the use of my lift if you run into problems. It won't be the first one-piece drive shaft to be installed on it. I know it is a haul to get here but I figured I would throw it out there anyway.
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:21 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robostang View Post
My offer still stands for the use of my lift if you run into problems. It won't be the first one-piece drive shaft to be installed on it. I know it is a haul to get here but I figured I would throw it out there anyway.
Thanks Rob I really appreciate your help, if it's not workable I will let you know. So far it's tight underneath the car. I put it on ramps so I can't get it up even more. Will see..

Old 08-19-2015, 05:42 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
My DSS unit (I know, different manufacturer), advises the shaft be installed with CV joint in the rear (if that's what the rubber boot in your picture is).

OK, so when are we all going to Rob's house (garage) to do our undercar maintenance? I mean, I love sliding around on the driveway with the car on jack stands, but...
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:50 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
My DSS unit (I know, different manufacturer), advises the shaft be installed with CV joint in the rear (if that's what the rubber boot in your picture is).

OK, so when are we all going to Rob's house (garage) to do our undercar maintenance? I mean, I love sliding around on the driveway with the car on jack stands, but...
I'm in I could use the lift to check all the bolts.. Once it's all done. I saw some pics on Am with the same brand and the boot is in the rear side so I'm all good there.. I think I can do it. Have to psych myself up and get my tools ready.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:04 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

And with all this talk of shafts and units, why has nobody made a joke yet?

J/K...but shunc, is your shaft 3.5" diameter or 4" diameter? If 3.5", there shouldn't be any clearance issues at all.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:15 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
And with all this talk of shafts and units, why has nobody made a joke yet?

J/K...but shunc, is your shaft 3.5" diameter or 4" diameter? If 3.5", there shouldn't be any clearance issues at all.
It's 4... I backed out lol.. Dont have 12 socket I might have lost them. Arghhhhh... And it is really tight in there. I'll just have my shop do it. Lol

Old 08-19-2015, 06:27 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I saw some signs not to pursue it and I'm not gonna force myself and ruined everything..

Old 08-19-2015, 06:31 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 4 inch shaft on mine. 😈

Old 08-19-2015, 07:49 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I assume you have a V6 3.7L engine. Which year is your mustang? How fast were you going?

Quote:

2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:50 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4spd View Post
I assume you have a V6 3.7L engine. Which year is your mustang? How fast were you going?
Yes it's a 2013 v6, I made it up to 120 and was driving pretty hard before that. I don't know why it broke..

Old 08-22-2015, 07:15 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Today is the day where im finally going to have my driveshaft installed. So stoked about it.. Will see if I feel any difference from the stock..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang