Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Koni Sport vs. Steeda Pro-Action shock/strut package

17K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  edwgrafe 
#1 ·
I recently picked up Steeda Ultralite lowering springs and am in the market for supporting mods. I am eyeing two shock/strut packages: Koni Adjustable Sport ("Yellows") which are on sale at American Muscle for $644, and Steeda Pro-Action which are non-adjustable but $439. Primarily I want a nice ride for daily driving and secondary want good launching at the drag strip and handling at the track (weekend warrior type, but only a few weekends a year). That's what appeals to me about the adjustable Konis, but the Steedas have good reviews for being good for both even without being adjustable, and they are a heck of a lot cheaper. Any advice between the two? Or recommendations for other brands?

KONI Sport Adjustable Mustang Shock & Strut Kit 101611 (11-14 GT, V6) - Free Shipping
Steeda 2011-14 Mustang Pro-Action Shocks and Struts 555-8405-11 | Free Shipping!

#3 ·
Haha, thanks for the effort! That is a good question. I am for sure the type who would be diligent and experiment. HOWEVER, I just don't know how realistically I will be going to the track enough to experiment as much as I want to. On Labor Day weekend I will be going to Texas World Speedway for the first time to have performance driving school and I am very excited for it, but TWS is shutting down this year, so who knows how many more opportunities I will get after that and how often. I'm pretty sure that on the street I will keep it at the softest setting all the time, because from what I hear it is still a little rough even at its softest, and I value comfort when daily driving.

#4 ·
Theres another track thats supposed to be in the Chapel hill / Brenham area, look up bluebonnet racing circuit i think it is.

Really the only thing holding me back from saying the Konis is that it doesnt say how adjustable they are, just that they are ...

Lastly, you'll love TWS, its a ton of fun.

#6 ·
Yes I think it will depend on price, honestly. I'm having a facebook conversation with someone who is selling Koni Yellows with ~2500 miles on them. Idk how I feel about buying used suspension parts though...

Thanks for the tip about Bluebonnet. Looks like they haven't even started construction yet though, still raising funds. I hope they get it going soon. You live in Houston, where do you go? We ought to meet up some time.

The Steeda Pro-Action Mustang Shocks and Struts will have a fantastic ride when coupled with our Ultra Lite springs both on the road & on the track.

A little background on the Pro Actions:

We try to build the best possible performance shock for a Mustang. We can take the time to test and fine tune our Pro-Actions’ on the street and track, make changes, and re-test until they are dialed in.

We test our shocks at tracks like Sebring which are brutal on suspensions.

That is why we are so confident in their performance. Plus they have a lifetime warranty.

Let me know if I can help assist you with a set or provide forum pricing - you won't be disappointed!

Best Regards,

TJ
Thanks for the info TJ. I'll send you a PM if I decide to go with those so that I can get the forum discount.

#5 ·
The Steeda Pro-Action Mustang Shocks and Struts will have a fantastic ride when coupled with our Ultra Lite springs both on the road & on the track.

A little background on the Pro Actions:

We try to build the best possible performance shock for a Mustang. We can take the time to test and fine tune our Pro-Actions’ on the street and track, make changes, and re-test until they are dialed in.

We test our shocks at tracks like Sebring which are brutal on suspensions.

That is why we are so confident in their performance. Plus they have a lifetime warranty.

Let me know if I can help assist you with a set or provide forum pricing - you won't be disappointed!

Best Regards,

TJ

#11 ·
Yes, all our Pro Action shocks and struts will work with the GT500 mounts, 05-10 & 11-14.

On the 11-14, you just do not use the spacer kit. The struts themselves are identical, just the hardware is different.

If the car is lowered, GT500 mounts are not recommended. They still have no adjustability for camber ... our Steeda Upper strut mounts should be used.

With our mounts, you can set the alignment back to factory specifications.

Best Regards,

TJ

#12 ·
It's always really interesting to me that people want a product that can give them good performance on the street/road racing/drag racing all wrapped up in one.
For drag racing you want as much weight distribution towards the rear as you can get........I believe Grabber Blue5.0 used Lakewood Drag Shocks on his Mustang, for road racing maybe a couple of times a year TJ pretty much hit the nail on the head and as Voltwings said unless you are really going to go out and test...quite often..have a competition license and can really push the car to the limits at the track I see no since in adjustable shocks. As for the street if you want a soft ride I think adjustable shocks are great.........as long as they are fully adjustable..not just one or two settings......IMHO
Have you talked with Koni?

#13 ·
Those are good points. Realistically I'd probably be going to the track (not drag strip) at most 5 times/year, and a lot of that depends on whether or not they open up this new track that Voltwings is talking about soon. That makes the Steedas look better. I did not talk with Koni, but their website shows that the shocks are adjustable to 4 discrete positions: http://www.koni-na.com/adjustment.cfm

I wish there was a way for me to directly compare Steeda street ride to Koni at the min setting. Problem is I can't find anyone who has tried both.

#17 ·
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I think I will go with Voltwings's advice and go for the Steeda's for now. But for those reading this who are more serious trackers than me: I think you should buy the Konis with the current American Muscle sale price because that is a steal! $605 after forum discount.

If I get more serious later on then I will consider coilovers, but let me not buy for the "fantasy Sakib" and rather buy for the "real Sakib".

#18 ·
The Yellows are not a typical click style adjustment. You measure by degree on the knob. They can go from gently reasonable to absolutely insane levels of damping. The off the shelf yellows are rebound adjustable, and are hands down what I recommend for a beginner. Once you get better, you can send the Koni's off to get converted to double adjustable, and even sleeved as coilovers if you like (still cheaper than the stuff I am having made). Koni's also come with a full lifetime, no questions asked warranty (as long as you are the first owner).

There are only a few aftermarket dampers that are worth the money (others can be a real horror show of side effects). Penske, Bilstein, MCS, Moton, and Koni are the cheapest examples of decent dampers. If the manufacturer is not on that list, stay away.

#20 ·
Jande, I notice in your signature that you have Koni Yellows + Steeda Ultralites, which is exactly what I would have. So tell us about the ride quality on the street when you are at min setting? Just "tolerable" or pretty nice? How does it compare to stock?

#21 ·
To be honest, when the shocks are set to full soft, the ride is very similar to the stock setup, it just has more high travel stiffness (meaning that you will be less likely to slam those rear bump stops on potholes). I do not find these springs to be very stiff at all, the shock is still taking most of the weight of the car.

#24 ·
I pulled the trigger on the Koni Yellows. With the forum discount it was $605... couldn't pass that up. Don't worry, TJ, I'll be in touch with you about strut mounts, relocation brackets, panhard bar, control arms...
I'll be available!

Best Regards,

TJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.