Koni Sport vs. Steeda Pro-Action shock/strut package - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-18-2015, 02:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sakib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 813
Koni Sport vs. Steeda Pro-Action shock/strut package

I recently picked up Steeda Ultralite lowering springs and am in the market for supporting mods. I am eyeing two shock/strut packages: Koni Adjustable Sport ("Yellows") which are on sale at American Muscle for $644, and Steeda Pro-Action which are non-adjustable but $439. Primarily I want a nice ride for daily driving and secondary want good launching at the drag strip and handling at the track (weekend warrior type, but only a few weekends a year). That's what appeals to me about the adjustable Konis, but the Steedas have good reviews for being good for both even without being adjustable, and they are a heck of a lot cheaper. Any advice between the two? Or recommendations for other brands?

KONI Sport Adjustable Mustang Shock & Strut Kit 101611 (11-14 GT, V6) - Free Shipping
Steeda 2011-14 Mustang Pro-Action Shocks and Struts 555-8405-11 | Free Shipping!
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-18-2015, 02:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,450
I've typed out and deleted probably 4 responses now trying to decide how to answer this. I guess the key thing is; are you going to be diligent enough to test, tinker, experiment ... to make the adjustable Konis worth the premium?
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sakib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I've typed out and deleted probably 4 responses now trying to decide how to answer this. I guess the key thing is; are you going to be diligent enough to test, tinker, experiment ... to make the adjustable Konis worth the premium?
Haha, thanks for the effort! That is a good question. I am for sure the type who would be diligent and experiment. HOWEVER, I just don't know how realistically I will be going to the track enough to experiment as much as I want to. On Labor Day weekend I will be going to Texas World Speedway for the first time to have performance driving school and I am very excited for it, but TWS is shutting down this year, so who knows how many more opportunities I will get after that and how often. I'm pretty sure that on the street I will keep it at the softest setting all the time, because from what I hear it is still a little rough even at its softest, and I value comfort when daily driving.
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-18-2015, 03:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,450
Theres another track thats supposed to be in the Chapel hill / Brenham area, look up bluebonnet racing circuit i think it is.

Really the only thing holding me back from saying the Konis is that it doesnt say how adjustable they are, just that they are ...

Lastly, you'll love TWS, its a ton of fun.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
tj@steeda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,140
The Steeda Pro-Action Mustang Shocks and Struts will have a fantastic ride when coupled with our Ultra Lite springs both on the road & on the track.

A little background on the Pro Actions:

We try to build the best possible performance shock for a Mustang. We can take the time to test and fine tune our Pro-Actions’ on the street and track, make changes, and re-test until they are dialed in.

We test our shocks at tracks like Sebring which are brutal on suspensions.

That is why we are so confident in their performance. Plus they have a lifetime warranty.

Let me know if I can help assist you with a set or provide forum pricing - you won't be disappointed!

Best Regards,

TJ
__________________
Steeda Autosports
Valdosta, GA & Pompano Beach, FL
Mustang Performance Products
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sakib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Theres another track thats supposed to be in the Chapel hill / Brenham area, look up bluebonnet racing circuit i think it is.

Really the only thing holding me back from saying the Konis is that it doesnt say how adjustable they are, just that they are ...

Lastly, you'll love TWS, its a ton of fun.
Yes I think it will depend on price, honestly. I'm having a facebook conversation with someone who is selling Koni Yellows with ~2500 miles on them. Idk how I feel about buying used suspension parts though...

Thanks for the tip about Bluebonnet. Looks like they haven't even started construction yet though, still raising funds. I hope they get it going soon. You live in Houston, where do you go? We ought to meet up some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
The Steeda Pro-Action Mustang Shocks and Struts will have a fantastic ride when coupled with our Ultra Lite springs both on the road & on the track.

A little background on the Pro Actions:

We try to build the best possible performance shock for a Mustang. We can take the time to test and fine tune our Pro-Actions’ on the street and track, make changes, and re-test until they are dialed in.

We test our shocks at tracks like Sebring which are brutal on suspensions.

That is why we are so confident in their performance. Plus they have a lifetime warranty.

Let me know if I can help assist you with a set or provide forum pricing - you won't be disappointed!

Best Regards,

TJ
Thanks for the info TJ. I'll send you a PM if I decide to go with those so that I can get the forum discount.
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Catonsville
Region: Maryland
Posts: 690
Used springs sure, but I wouldn't buy used shocks. That's just me though.
__________________
2013 SGM 3.7 | MPT Tune | JBA Titanium Ceramic Shorty Headers | MGW Gen 1 | Blowfish Street Bracket | BBK TB | 18" Charcoal AMR | FRPP 3.55 | BMR LCA | Steeda Panhard Bar | Dynotech 3.5" Driveshaft |
mariusvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:06 PM   #8
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
^^ This. I never try to buy wear and tear items used. Tires, belts, brake pads, spark plugs, etc.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:16 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
MustangDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Forest
Region: California
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Thanks for the info TJ. I'll send you a PM if I decide to go with those so that I can get the forum discount.
If you can wait until November/December, Steeda usually runs a 10% or 20% off sale on all Steeda built parts. I'm holding off until then for the Steeda shocks, springs, panhard bar, and panhard support bar.
__________________
2013 V6 Auto Premium | Sterling Gray | Pony/Comfort/Security Packages
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:42 PM   #10
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular
 
au01st's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Alexandria
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 869
So do Steeda's 05-10 shocks work with GT500 mounts?
__________________
Have a Raxiom nav system? Hate having two antennas? Contact me to wire your nav thru your factory satellite radio antenna!

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:37 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
tj@steeda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,140
Yes, all our Pro Action shocks and struts will work with the GT500 mounts, 05-10 & 11-14.

On the 11-14, you just do not use the spacer kit. The struts themselves are identical, just the hardware is different.

If the car is lowered, GT500 mounts are not recommended. They still have no adjustability for camber ... our Steeda Upper strut mounts should be used.

With our mounts, you can set the alignment back to factory specifications.

Best Regards,

TJ
__________________
Steeda Autosports
Valdosta, GA & Pompano Beach, FL
Mustang Performance Products
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:10 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular
 
olerodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Corvallis
Region: Oregon
Posts: 2,712
It's always really interesting to me that people want a product that can give them good performance on the street/road racing/drag racing all wrapped up in one.
For drag racing you want as much weight distribution towards the rear as you can get........I believe Grabber Blue5.0 used Lakewood Drag Shocks on his Mustang, for road racing maybe a couple of times a year TJ pretty much hit the nail on the head and as Voltwings said unless you are really going to go out and test...quite often..have a competition license and can really push the car to the limits at the track I see no since in adjustable shocks. As for the street if you want a soft ride I think adjustable shocks are great.........as long as they are fully adjustable..not just one or two settings......IMHO
Have you talked with Koni?
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:14 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sakib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
It's always really interesting to me that people want a product that can give them good performance on the street/road racing/drag racing all wrapped up in one.
For drag racing you want as much weight distribution towards the rear as you can get........I believe Grabber Blue5.0 used Lakewood Drag Shocks on his Mustang, for road racing maybe a couple of times a year TJ pretty much hit the nail on the head and as Voltwings said unless you are really going to go out and test...quite often..have a competition license and can really push the car to the limits at the track I see no since in adjustable shocks. As for the street if you want a soft ride I think adjustable shocks are great.........as long as they are fully adjustable..not just one or two settings......IMHO
Have you talked with Koni?
Those are good points. Realistically I'd probably be going to the track (not drag strip) at most 5 times/year, and a lot of that depends on whether or not they open up this new track that Voltwings is talking about soon. That makes the Steedas look better. I did not talk with Koni, but their website shows that the shocks are adjustable to 4 discrete positions: http://www.koni-na.com/adjustment.cfm

I wish there was a way for me to directly compare Steeda street ride to Koni at the min setting. Problem is I can't find anyone who has tried both.
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,450
Honestly, probably best to just get the Steedas for now, and if it gets to the point where you want adjustable units just bite the bullet and get some proper high dollar coil overs.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:29 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular
 
olerodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Corvallis
Region: Oregon
Posts: 2,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Those are good points. Realistically I'd probably be going to the track (not drag strip) at most 5 times/year, and a lot of that depends on whether or not they open up this new track that Voltwings is talking about soon. That makes the Steedas look better. I did not talk with Koni, but their website shows that the shocks are adjustable to 4 discrete positions: http://www.koni-na.com/adjustment.cfm

I wish there was a way for me to directly compare Steeda street ride to Koni at the min setting. Problem is I can't find anyone who has tried both.
Ok, 4 discrete positions.........and there any in between the 4 positions? On the plus side if there are just 4 positions............at least you don't have to worry because you could find out which one is best in a single day.
Since the price of the Koni's is not that much more than the Steeda...I'd try and adjustables and see how you like them.
One reason using scales and coilovers seems to be much easier on a track car...IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:37 PM   #16
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bonaire
Region: Georgia
Posts: 4
STR.t

I would also consider the Koni STR.Ts.
They are non adjustable and basically the equivalent of the Sports on there softest setting.
Silver Steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:02 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sakib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 813
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I think I will go with Voltwings's advice and go for the Steeda's for now. But for those reading this who are more serious trackers than me: I think you should buy the Konis with the current American Muscle sale price because that is a steal! $605 after forum discount.

If I get more serious later on then I will consider coilovers, but let me not buy for the "fantasy Sakib" and rather buy for the "real Sakib".
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
jande063's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Virginia Beach
Region: Virginia
Posts: 474
The Yellows are not a typical click style adjustment. You measure by degree on the knob. They can go from gently reasonable to absolutely insane levels of damping. The off the shelf yellows are rebound adjustable, and are hands down what I recommend for a beginner. Once you get better, you can send the Koni's off to get converted to double adjustable, and even sleeved as coilovers if you like (still cheaper than the stuff I am having made). Koni's also come with a full lifetime, no questions asked warranty (as long as you are the first owner).

There are only a few aftermarket dampers that are worth the money (others can be a real horror show of side effects). Penske, Bilstein, MCS, Moton, and Koni are the cheapest examples of decent dampers. If the manufacturer is not on that list, stay away.
__________________
2014 Mustang V6-Built to run TTB, CAM-C, and ESP

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:06 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sakib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
The Yellows are not a typical click style adjustment. You measure by degree on the knob. They can go from gently reasonable to absolutely insane levels of damping. The off the shelf yellows are rebound adjustable, and are hands down what I recommend for a beginner. Once you get better, you can send the Koni's off to get converted to double adjustable, and even sleeved as coilovers if you like (still cheaper than the stuff I am having made). Koni's also come with a full lifetime, no questions asked warranty (as long as you are the first owner).

There are only a few aftermarket dampers that are worth the money (others can be a real horror show of side effects). Penske, Bilstein, MCS, Moton, and Koni are the cheapest examples of decent dampers. If the manufacturer is not on that list, stay away.
Man! Just when I thought I made a decision you go and get me second guessing again. Haha, j/k, I'm glad to hear your advice. I'll have to sleep on this.
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sakib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 813
Jande, I notice in your signature that you have Koni Yellows + Steeda Ultralites, which is exactly what I would have. So tell us about the ride quality on the street when you are at min setting? Just "tolerable" or pretty nice? How does it compare to stock?
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:11 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
jande063's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Virginia Beach
Region: Virginia
Posts: 474
To be honest, when the shocks are set to full soft, the ride is very similar to the stock setup, it just has more high travel stiffness (meaning that you will be less likely to slam those rear bump stops on potholes). I do not find these springs to be very stiff at all, the shock is still taking most of the weight of the car.
__________________
2014 Mustang V6-Built to run TTB, CAM-C, and ESP

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:19 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
tj@steeda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Honestly, probably best to just get the Steedas for now, and if it gets to the point where you want adjustable units just bite the bullet and get some proper high dollar coil overs.
We have coilovers too!

TJ
__________________
Steeda Autosports
Valdosta, GA & Pompano Beach, FL
Mustang Performance Products
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sakib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 813
I pulled the trigger on the Koni Yellows. With the forum discount it was $605... couldn't pass that up. Don't worry, TJ, I'll be in touch with you about strut mounts, relocation brackets, panhard bar, control arms...
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
tj@steeda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
I pulled the trigger on the Koni Yellows. With the forum discount it was $605... couldn't pass that up. Don't worry, TJ, I'll be in touch with you about strut mounts, relocation brackets, panhard bar, control arms...
I'll be available!

Best Regards,

TJ
__________________
Steeda Autosports
Valdosta, GA & Pompano Beach, FL
Mustang Performance Products
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:26 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
edwgrafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: New Britain
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 25
I just pulled the trigger on Steeda Pro-Action for my 2005 GT...factory stock springs. Hoping for a little stiffer ride. Currently running 255/45-18 on 18x8 FRPP w/40MM offset and a tower brace. Hopefully this combo will get me what I want
edwgrafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:38 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
edwgrafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: New Britain
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 25
I just pulled the trigger on Steeda Pro-Action for my 2005 GT...factory stock springs. Hoping for a little stiffer ride. Currently running 255/45-18 on 18x8 FRPP w/40MM offset and a tower brace. Hopefully this combo will get me what I want
edwgrafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Koni Shock Value Sale! Take 25% Off Koni Products! tj@steeda General Mustang Discussion 3 03-08-2015 11:38 PM
Koni Yellow or Koni Orange Rileychan01 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 4 08-13-2014 08:04 PM
Save 10% on Steeda Pro Action Shocks & Ultra Lite Springs tj@steeda 2011-2014 Mustang GT 1 11-10-2013 08:25 PM
Koni STR.T or Eibach Pro Damper sport shocks Turtlestang39 2005-2010 Mustang GT 13 07-17-2013 07:04 AM
KONI STR.T + Steeda Sport springs M3hunter 2011-2014 Mustang GT 5 01-21-2011 11:39 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



02:17 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.