New Roush body pieces and poss damage - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-18-2015, 03:19 PM   #1
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
New Roush body pieces and poss damage

So I ordered my Roush hood from AM after seeing more than I could take at the AM show without doing the quick draw with my credit card. Anyway, the part came in today, super fast as always from AM but several scuffs, scratches (mild to moderate depth) and one corner has the plastic broken in about the size of half a pencil eraser. The edges of the Roush piece also look like an old plastic model from my youth needing an exacto knife to clean them up.

My question is; I've ordered body parts before but never unpainted and so I don't know what is normal for a part being unprepared/unpainted. The Roush hood I got today is unpainted so my local shop will have to prep to some degree anyway. What is normal and customary for the shape of unpainted parts? This is my first and I'm on the fence about calling AM for an exchange. I'm going to see what the shop is going to charge me to clean it up before they paint it, just the level of quality here has me shaking my head. Was I living in a dreamworld that the part should be ready for me to krylon it down and tack it on? (Being figurative there with the krylon.) Input requested.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Is this a hood or hood scoop? You refer to it as a hood so I just wanted to clarify?
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:20 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
It's normal. Body guy will fix us up before they shoot it
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2015, 05:49 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Hood scoop sorry. It's not awful but after getting pre-painted parts that look perfect it doesn't look good. That or I'm rationalizing and it's crap. SocialStang, that does give me some peace until the am.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Old 08-18-2015, 06:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
The answer to your last question, yes you were living in a dream world. Welcome back to reality! Unpainted parts are raw and will have to be prepped before paint. Scratches and what not are normal. Not sure about the cracked plastic piece though.. I'm sure it can be covered, just let the shop know that it has a small crack in it.

Curious, what are you getting charged to have the Roush scoop painted?

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Talking

My Roush hood scoop was ready to paint right out of the
box.....no damage whatsoever.
GRREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:41 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Prep is super important on an item like this. This is one reason I'm getting a new hood. When I first got it painted it looked great. Over the time it has started to loose some of its shine. It looks a little duller and has some orange peel to it. I went back to where I had it painted and they said that's inherent with this type of material.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:14 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

The verdict is in... RMAing the Roush scoop back to AM. At least I got an education. The scratches and overpressed plastic edges (whatever you call the seams you see on plastic models) had me the most worried while the small hole I thought was no big deal. Looks like it was the other way around. Ford body shop guy explained how cleaning up some stuff was normal but a hole in the corner was a sooner or later fail repair. So off it goes back to American Muscle. I have to say, the call to them was quick and painless for the RMA. Sucks as there is no way it can be here in time for me to have it painted and ready for my weekend mod plans but that's the way it goes and that's not AM's fault. Updates to follow.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:17 PM   #9
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton CIT View Post
The verdict is in... RMAing the Roush scoop back to AM. At least I got an education. The scratches and overpressed plastic edges (whatever you call the seams you see on plastic models) had me the most worried while the small hole I thought was no big deal. Looks like it was the other way around. Ford body shop guy explained how cleaning up some stuff was normal but a hole in the corner was a sooner or later fail repair. So off it goes back to American Muscle. I have to say, the call to them was quick and painless for the RMA. Sucks as there is no way it can be here in time for me to have it painted and ready for my weekend mod plans but that's the way it goes and that's not AM's fault. Updates to follow.
You should have asked for Alex or someone. They can and will over night a new one to you if you ask.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:41 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

I actually thought about that but If it didn't come overnight (delay for any reason) I would not be able to get it painted on Friday for install Saturday. As much as I "wanted" to play cars this weekend, it didn't seem right to run Alex around or even ask. I'll hold that one in case I really really need some insider help. Looks like it's next weekend for the scoop.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang