Hood Vents - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-24-2015, 10:38 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
The most money all at once I ever spent on one mod was my aftermarket hood. $600 unpainted and another $400 to have a body shop prep, paint and install it. I thought of all the other little mods I could have bought instead but did it anyway at my wife's encouragement. She said, It's your dream car, do it right or don't do it. Save and work extra if you have to but get something that transforms the car and makes heads turn.
I settled on the Cervinis type 4 ram air style. Now I'm very glad I did. There are only a scattering of other Mustangs I see from time to time driving and none have the same look. The hood was great quality and the shop matched the paint perfectly.
If you're wanting to really make your V6 or GT cause people to stare when you drive by, the aftermarket hood with functional vents or ducts really does the trick and will make you want to keep adding quality mods even when you have to wait for the money to save up. The end result even years from now will still cause envy.
My 14 is just a base GT. there's no fake snakes on it, no fake SVT emblems, just Roush axle backs and a few cosmetic mods. I can't stop for gas without it turning into a car show.

If you can swing it and you're probably going to keep this car for a while, consider a whole new hood instead of just adding vents or a used GT regular hood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	190026  
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2015, 11:29 PM   #37
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
^ Looks fantastic, Waylap!
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:53 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
The most money all at once I ever spent on one mod was my aftermarket hood. $600 unpainted and another $400 to have a body shop prep, paint and install it. I thought of all the other little mods I could have bought instead but did it anyway at my wife's encouragement. She said, It's your dream car, do it right or don't do it. Save and work extra if you have to but get something that transforms the car and makes heads turn.
I settled on the Cervinis type 4 ram air style. Now I'm very glad I did. There are only a scattering of other Mustangs I see from time to time driving and none have the same look. The hood was great quality and the shop matched the paint perfectly.
If you're wanting to really make your V6 or GT cause people to stare when you drive by, the aftermarket hood with functional vents or ducts really does the trick and will make you want to keep adding quality mods even when you have to wait for the money to save up. The end result even years from now will still cause envy.
My 14 is just a base GT. there's no fake snakes on it, no fake SVT emblems, just Roush axle backs and a few cosmetic mods. I can't stop for gas without it turning into a car show.

If you can swing it and you're probably going to keep this car for a while, consider a whole new hood instead of just adding vents or a used GT regular hood.

Very well said and nice stang but honestly I dislike what all the aftermarket hoods look. In my opinion they don't look very mustang to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
JohnnyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2015, 04:40 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I just lucked out and found a GT takeoff hood, same color and perfect condition for an amazing price. The seller even helped me install it.

Put me in the group that endorses finding a full hood you like vs cutting into your existing.
JSchu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:42 PM   #40
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchu22 View Post
I just lucked out and found a GT takeoff hood, same color and perfect condition for an amazing price. The seller even helped me install it.

Put me in the group that endorses finding a full hood you like vs cutting into your existing.
You're welcome.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:15 PM   #41
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

Underside of the hood lip looks good and bubble-free?
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Old 08-25-2015, 09:56 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
Underside of the hood lip looks good and bubble-free?
You mean unlike the hood it replaced? Yes. Mine was beginning to look horrid, quickly. Of course Ford was going to fix it but now I don't have to and have about 7k miles left of time left on that (I'm at 29k).
Old 08-25-2015, 10:53 PM   #43
Registered Member

Regular

Yeah, I know what you mean. I first noticed some bubbling on the top side about two months ago, and it's started spreading like crazy. Of course I'm well beyond 36k miles, so Ford denied any sort of corrosion warranty. Ford just utterly dropped the ball with the aluminum hoods.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:08 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. I first noticed some bubbling on the top side about two months ago, and it's started spreading like crazy. Of course I'm well beyond 36k miles, so Ford denied any sort of corrosion warranty. Ford just utterly dropped the ball with the aluminum hoods.
I'm not sure if this helps or is even true but the service advisor for the associated body shop at my dealership said that he knew of some that really stuck with it and ended up getting Ford to pay for half the repair. Of course, this is just temporary and if the hood is corroding at all, its going to come back.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:17 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Here's a bonus if you go aftermarket hood. Some don't have heat shields and are painted which makes a nice canvas for a large carefully installed decal. This one came from China through Amazon for $30. It's been on for a month and seems to be holding up just fine.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	39
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	190080  
Old 08-25-2015, 11:19 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

A closer view. I can only submit one photo per post.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	43
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	190081  
Old 08-26-2015, 12:45 AM   #47
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I'm not sure if this helps or is even true but the service advisor for the associated body shop at my dealership said that he knew of some that really stuck with it and ended up getting Ford to pay for half the repair. Of course, this is just temporary and if the hood is corroding at all, its going to come back.
I had no luck dealing directly with the dealer warranty administrator, who has been extremely helpful. Even so, that's good advice you have...though I've seen some posts about this where Ford offers to pay 50% of an inflated repair cost, so YMMV.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:23 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

If you want carbon fiber good vents, they sell it on American Muscle. I bought mines but still haven't use them. I'm debating on selling them or installing them because I have a v6 14 and I'm not that sure of cutting my hood to install them.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Chrism is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang