Tackling issues - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #1
Kevin.Cook

Tackling issues

Alrighty. So today I picked up my 2011 after getting cosmetics fixed. Next step are functioning issues.

So down the road, 1 key was lost so now only 1 key remains for this car. Unfortunately it IS the MyKey However, i have reserved funds for tackling issues like this. So I do remember someone mentioning on here what they were quoted by Ford to get a 2nd key cut and programmed, as well as have MyKey reset. However, i cannot for the life of me, find the thread.

2 immediate issue is a popping sound when turning the steering wheel. I think I have narrowed it down to the steering shaft u joint. Anyone have experience with what needs to be done to fix this or costs?

Luckily, this is all for now. The rest is just general maintenance. I knew I wouldnt get this car at the killer price without hitting a few snags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2015, 09:31 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

Also I wonder, since the car has a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty, would something like the steering shaft be covered under warranty? Its not the typical wear and tear item.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Popping noise is most likely the upper strut mounts. My car has done it since i lowered it. The mounts came apart during the install. Now that I'm back at the stock height it does it only when sitting still and I rotate the steering wheel left and right.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2015, 09:36 PM   #4
Kevin.Cook

Nah i really think its the u joint in the steering shaft. I popped the hood and had my wife turn the wheel while I listened to pin point it. Going over bumps and stuff is fine. No clunking or anything.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Depending upon the warranty you bought it should be covered. If it's similar to the manufacturer warranty then it's covered without a doubt. If it's an aftermarket then typically if they deem it excessive wear and tear then it would not. It should be covered though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
stangingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:04 PM   #6
Kevin.Cook

What types of places do warranty work? As in, do i need to drag myself across Austin to a Ford dealer or can any mechanic shop do it?
Old 08-22-2015, 07:27 AM   #7
Kevin.Cook

Speaking of warranty work as well as other thing...

Old 08-22-2015, 07:46 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
They'll **** you up the same way they did to my car, never again going to Ford.. They were gonna charge me 342 to fix my u joint, and by the way the part is only 25 bucks, they didn't cover my warranty because I have aftermarket exhaust on there which I don't think cos the problem. Called my local shop and told me that they are just a bunch of loosers trying to prey on customers, my local shop towed my car fixed the problem and only charge me for the part. I hate those stealership.

MPT tune, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:50 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Once again depends on the warranty provider. I sell them for a dealership and ours allow you to go to any ase certified mechanic in the US. You should just be able to call your warranty provider and ask them.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:37 AM   #10
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
They'll **** you up the same way they did to my car, never again going to Ford.. They were gonna charge me 342 to fix my u joint, and by the way the part is only 25 bucks, they didn't cover my warranty because I have aftermarket exhaust on there which I don't think cos the problem. Called my local shop and told me that they are just a bunch of loosers trying to prey on customers, my local shop towed my car fixed the problem and only charge me for the part. I hate those stealership.

MPT tune, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
That sucks. Took mine to the dealer a few weeks ago. They asked if I needed a free loaner car (I was off work so I didn't). Gave me a ride home. The next day they dropped the car off at my house with some papers and thanked me for my business. They'll come pick the car up at work for an oil change or service and bring it back before I leave for the day.

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Been a rough week for me fixing issues.
-Got rear wheel bearings replaced.
-Getting rear axel expansion tank wednesday to stop leaks in the future.
-Water pump replaced on thursday (have a slow leak coming from it, 73k miles)
Bama 93 Performance Tune
5pointYoBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:02 AM   #12
Kevin.Cook

So I called a Ford dealership near me and they could not give me a price on how much it would cost to get a 2nd key made and get the MyKey reset. They made an appointment for me and said they would be able to tell me after I bring the car in. -_-
Old 08-24-2015, 09:09 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Hook line and sinker... 😲

MPT tune, Axle exchange Aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter, roush louvers, and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
Old 08-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Got em! Lol

Old 08-24-2015, 11:10 AM   #15
Kevin.Cook

Called another dealer. $60 for key, $100 for programming, and they are not sure yet on if there is any charge on wiping the MyKey stuff.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Called another dealer. $60 for key, $100 for programming, and they are not sure yet on if there is any charge on wiping the MyKey stuff.
Kevin it should be there responsibility to get you your second key when you got the car and it should be for free.. At least this is what they did when I had my 05 before.

MPT tune, Axle exchange Aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter, roush louvers, and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
Old 08-24-2015, 11:29 AM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
Kevin it should be there responsibility to get you your second key when you got the car and it should be for free.. At least this is what they did when I had my 05 before.

He already had it and lost it at one point
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:31 AM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangingit View Post
Got em! Lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1440433870.620722.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	189974
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:31 AM   #19
Kevin.Cook

The car only had 1 key. The previous owner lost the 2nd one.

An EXTREMELY long shot would be if using a VCM tool to wipe out the keys would delete the MyKey stuff. Then I can just resync the 1 key I have. If that did work, then I would be paying a friend a visit that I sold my VCM to. lol
Old 08-24-2015, 11:38 AM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

An EXTREMELY long shot would be if using a VCM tool to wipe out the keys would delete the MyKey stuff. Then I can just resync the 1 key I have. If that did work, then I would be paying a friend a visit that I sold my VCM to. lol
Nope kev you lost it, it was all you. I doubt ford will give one for free though. "Well the car had two at one point"
Old 08-24-2015, 11:41 AM   #21
Kevin.Cook

Haha yea I don't expect any freebies like that. I did call the company "AUL" that supplied the 3 yr bumper to bumper warranty. They said the entire steering assembly including rack and pinion, tie rods, etc is covered under their warranty. So I will probably be dropping it off this week.

So I am happy I didn't cancel that warranty as suggested.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:47 AM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Haha yea I don't expect any freebies like that. I did call the company "AUL" that supplied the 3 yr bumper to bumper warranty. They said the entire steering assembly including rack and pinion, tie rods, etc is covered under their warranty. So I will probably be dropping it off this week.

So I am happy I didn't cancel that warranty as suggested.
That is what they say now. Dont be surprised if they come out give you the run around for awhile and say oh can't cover it because of _______
Old 08-24-2015, 11:47 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Warranty has already paid for itself. Only bad part is just getting car and having to be without it so much to start with. Flip side is car is going to be brand new before you know it. Lol

Old 08-24-2015, 11:50 AM   #24
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
That is what they say now. Dont be surprised if they come out give you the run around for awhile and say oh can't cover it because of _______
True. But the car is completely stock besides some Window Louvers. Lol. I doubt those would void anything. The carfax shows regular oil changes, check ups, and inspections. So I would hope nothing would void anything.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:55 AM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
True. But the car is completely stock besides some Window Louvers. Lol. I doubt those would void anything. The carfax shows regular oil changes, check ups, and inspections. So I would hope nothing would void anything.
When my engine blew less than a month after getting my v6 it took them 2 months of inspections which after they decided not to cover anything
Old 08-24-2015, 12:00 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

I believe you need 2 keys for this process? So you could buy a second key, have it cut on your own then program them both and problem solved. I believe this is how the dealer would do it anyway.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:07 PM   #27
Kevin.Cook

Hmm, this is indeed interesting.

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
When my engine blew less than a month after getting my v6 it took them 2 months of inspections which after they decided not to cover anything
Any idea what caused it?
Old 08-24-2015, 12:13 PM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Head gasket went. Pretty sure it got water in the heads and by the time they finally got out to look at it they were rusted to hell and back. My uncle won't even touch extended warranties at his shop. I would just do a Google search for yours and see how many pissed off people are out there from the same company lol
Old 08-24-2015, 02:12 PM   #29
Kevin.Cook

Ok, so appointment has been made at Covert Ford, not this Friday, but next Friday. They will inspect the entire front steering assembly since it is all covered under AUL's warranty. They and AUL said all I have to pay right now is a $100 deductable. If it isn't covered under warranty, then they will at least tell me what is wrong and I can decide whether to pursue a fix or not.

I made sure to call both the Ford dealer's service shop and AUL to get both of them on the same boat. This will be the first time I have ever needed to utilize a warranty.

Also, during this appointment they will be getting me a 2nd key.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:30 PM   #30
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Glad to hear you got some progress. Hope it works out for you. $100 isn't bad at all!

Sent from my #racecar

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:37 PM   #31
Kevin.Cook

I am just hoping they are able to make the needed repairs. Hopefully I do not have to jump through hoops.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:48 AM   #32
Kevin.Cook

So Saturday I dropped the car off at the body shop again. The owner of the shop and I went over the entire car. He confirmed his employee's work was unacceptable and will be redoing everything himself as well as throwing in some freebies. So for the $1,300 I originally paid we agreed on a list of stuff for him to do:

Wet sand and buff the driver side door
Repaint the entire driver side rear quarter panel
Repair dent on gas door
Touch up rear bumper cover (wet sand and buff also)
Repaint entire Passenger side rear quarter panel
Touch up passenger door (wet sand and buff also)
Touch up hood (wet sand and buff also)
Repaint entire front bumper cover
Repaint driver side door jam
Buff and wax full car
Detail the interior
Repair both rear rims (curb rash)

Again the owner gave me his name and cell phone to make sure we stay in touch throughout the entire process. He said I should have the car back by the end of the week.

In the long run, it seems like I am getting a good deal (depending on how the car comes out). Because body work in general is not cheap. Then the body and interior will be squared away and I can finish the maintenance portion. Which at this point is brake pads and rotors, shock, struts, strut mounts, battery, and fluids. And whatever is making the loud popping sound when turning the steering wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150827_121148.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	190371  
Old 08-31-2015, 10:14 AM   #33
Kevin.Cook

The fun part on Saturday was the body shop owner had me drop if off at a dealer he did the body work for as it was closer to me.

One of the Sales guys came out of the building when I pulled up and said "Can I help you?"

I said "Can you point me in the direction of your Service Dept. as I need to drop the key off their?"

He then said "You are dropping off a Ford that was not purchased here?! You need to take this down the road to Mazda or something! We won't work on it here."

Then I told him I was instructed to leave the car there and I was going to call the guy from their body shop to confirm.

The Sales guy said "Ok whatever. Have a good day." and walked off.

So after reconfirming with the body shop guy, I found the dealer's service center and told the receptionist about me leaving the car there. She understood and gladly wrote down all of my information for the body shop people.

I then went and spoke with the Sales manager. He told me to find the guy who was rude to me and he would speak with him.

So I approached the guy and asked him for his name (so I would know).

He asked "Why?"

Then I explained "All I wanted was simple directions and help. But you did not want to listen and kept telling me to leave. So now your manager wants to speak with you today."

He then gave me his name and said "Whatever..." and walked off again.

After showing the manager who it was, he said he was very upset that he was so rude and was going to pull him aside to talk with him later that day when it wasn't busy.

So that was my interesting event for Saturday. Quickly followed with going to Saltgrass Steakhouse and going bowling with my wife's family. lol
Old 08-31-2015, 11:58 AM   #34
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I do believe there is a Federal law covering Warranties

If you buy a car brand new from any brand dealer and it ever needs warranty work. The Law say's you can take the car to any dealer in the country and they have to service you. They can not turn you away if the warranty covers the item needing repair.
Now you know you can't take the car to a Chevy or Dodge Dealer if it is a Mustang so the trolls need to back off.
It would have to go to a Authorized Ford Dealer.
Ford pays any dealer for warranty work done so why would they want to turn anyone away anyway?????
Ronnie

PS: I don't know if this would cover an extended warranty at all. Just the original factory warranty on the car. Not the owner of the car.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:10 PM   #35
Kevin.Cook

So this car is used and has just over 100k miles on it. It was bought Private Party but I was able to purchase a "Warranty" through a company called AUL. They offer Warranties/Service Contracts or any car just purchased if your lender allows it and puts it in the purchase.

So the car does have a 3yr/36,000 mile bumper to bumper now.

The body work isn't warranty though. But either way, the guy shouldn't have been soo rude.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang