This really is nothing to brag about - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2015, 11:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
This really is nothing to brag about

I went to the track this evening and did one pass. My time wasn't that great but I had so much fun. I wanted to do a second pass and improve my time but the line was so long I didn't want to sit through it.

First I forgot to turn my traction control off. I forgot to put my car in manual mode but fortunately I was in sport mode. Plus we had a pretty stiff breeze coming at us head on.

My car, performance wise, is bone stock and I have 2:73 gears.

I ran next to a G6. It said "turbocharged" on the side of it. His reaction time was a bit better than mine and we were door to door, or so it seemed, until I hit about 45 MPH then I walked away from him.

Just for a little background. When I was 18 (1974) I had a 1971 Mach I with a 351 Cleveland. We had a quarter mile marked out on a highway, we would have a spotter watching for oncoming traffic and run our cars there. My Mach would do 90 MPH through a quarter mile.

I am impressed as hell that my little V6 outperforms that Mach I from the golden muscle car era.

I am the car on the right
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Fun is all that matters
Old 08-22-2015, 09:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
At the end of the day if you had a 10 second car and didnt enjoy it or have fun would it even matter to you? Fun factor is the driving push for most. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
stangingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2015, 10:00 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Was it hot and humid also?
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
I loath Pontiacs... don't know why but their drivers always annoy me how they think their cars can beat anyone on the road. I'm glad you beat them and had a good time!
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek57 View Post
Was it hot and humid also?
No it really wasn't too bad. I did have a stiff headwind but I think mostly it was my driving that held me back. I think turning the traction control off and controlling the shifting would have gotten me closer to 14:30
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:45 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
As I've gotten older drag racing has been about having fun. Back in the day you made a run and came back to your pit to wrench....went back out....came back in to adjust.
It's so nice to just get in line, talk with other people in the staging lanes, run, maybe come back on get in line again........it's all about having fun and meeting people..at least the past couple of years have been that way....I would really like to get the Mustang out before the end of this season.
Leave the egos in the garage, have fun and remember there is always someone that will be faster than you....so go out and enjoy!
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
You are so right… your comment is right and so logical. When I was taken class

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
As I've gotten older drag racing has been about having fun. Back in the day you made a run and came back to your pit to wrench....went back out....came back in to adjust.
I't so nice to just get in line, talk with other people in the staging lanes, run, maybe come back on get in line again........it's all about having fun and meeting people..at least the past couple of years have been that way....I would really like to get the Mustang out before the end of this season.
Leave the egos in the garage, have fun and remember there is always someone that will be faster than you....so go out and enjoy!

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I't so nice to just get in line, talk with other people in the staging lanes, run, maybe come back on get in line again........it's all about having fun and meeting people..at least the past couple of years have been that way....I would really like to get the Mustang out before the end of this season.
cjsilen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:15 AM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Going to the drags is not only a fun time - BUT -

It can be ADDICTIVE
Going to a track and running any car is a really great time no matter what your driving.
As long as you don;t start using the rent or food money to buy parts to make your car go a tenth of a second better you can have a load of good old "FUN"
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:36 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
It can be ADDICTIVE
Going to a track and running any car is a really great time no matter what your driving.
As long as you don;t start using the rent or food money to buy parts to make your car go a tenth of a second better you can have a load of good old "FUN"
Ronnie
Been there and done that with food money when I was single lol. I could get by on Ramen just fine back then. Never the rent tho.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:13 AM   #11
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1440418366.684987.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	189954

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1440418380.607514.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	189955

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1440418405.373859.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	189956

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1440418417.173338.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	189957

Sent from my #racecar

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:11 AM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

When I raced up and down the West Coast in the late 70's.........towed my SS/IA car in an open trailer behind my pickup....slept in the truck, ate at the track...once a day and sometimes drove 15/20 hours straight to get back home...usually barely making it home on fumes....Was it addictive.............more than I can describe and
although I no longer have a drag car the urge is still there....and has been for over 35 years.....it never goes away!
Old 08-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol, yeah one reason I don't go anymore. I will probably start again in moderation with this silver car when it gets done tho.

As for the times that the V6 runs vs old timey "muscle cars". Yeah... the "Golden Age of HP" is now, not then. Every time someone who grew up in the "Muscle Car Era" tells me they had the fastest cars I'm like "no dude WE have the fastest cars" and it isn't even remotely close.

This is not taking anything away from that time or those cars, they probably are the coolest cars but the fastest, not by a long shot.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

It is about the fun and its awesome you had so much of it. I love the feeling. When at Mustang week my girlfriend and kids were there and they came for a quick high in lanes between runs. She said that the look on my face alone was worth the trip to Myrtle Beach. Was hot, humid and horrible traction. My worst times ever... what a blast lol.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Certainly not to get off point.............each generation has had their fast muscle cars.....my generation started it in the 60's.......you guys have it so easy now days as you can by a 650HP+ off the showroom floor from relatively small cubic inch motors ....not that many years ago you had to spend more than the car cost to get that kind of HP.
You've also got to take in consideration how technology has expanded 1000 fold in the past 20 years. Back when muscle cars started nobody could even fathom a 1000HP street motor let a long know how to build one.
Personally I can't see how anyone can compare the 60's and early 70's to today, we didn't have computers, flow benches, dyno's and manufactures who were building state of the art pieces to make cars go fast. For me.....and I'm old.....that was the "Golden Era of Hot Rodding/Muscle Cars"....today is the Era of High HP Cars/Computers/3D Imaging/Technology..........As Grumpy Jenkins once said, "Anyone can buy a fast car but it takes skill to build a fast car.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:51 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Oh I agree with all that but just pure time slips, the cars of yesteryear can't hold a candle to today.

Yes we do have it easy when one can go out and just buy a car that'll do 12s or 13s right away.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:43 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey olerodder

I see you know about old Grumpy Bill.
I got acquainted with him at the Cecil County and Atco Drag strips back in the 60's.
I bought a 1966 427 Corvette brand new. Took it up to his shop and spent about $2,000 more then the $5,700 I paid for the car on it.
First time running at Cecil County I turned a 10:88 at 143 MPH with the Slicks Grumpy bill provided with the Modifications.
It was one really fast Corvette. I would be in the poorhouse with the price of gas now a days because it only got about ten miles to the gallon until you got on it, then it went way down.
Street racing for money was fine and everywhere in those days and I won all of my money back from buying the car and the Jenkins touch in a month.
Those were the best days ever for us car people because anybody that even try's street racing now- a- days is really dumb. There are way to many cars on the road and it is just not safe like in our day.
Cars are extremely fast right out of the Factory now and have better brakes, suspensions and safer, but unless you go to a drag strip and run your car , you will never know how much fun you can have on four wheels.
Ronnie
Old 08-24-2015, 03:56 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Oh I agree with all that but just pure time slips, the cars of yesteryear can't hold a candle to today.

Yes we do have it easy when one can go out and just buy a car that'll do 12s or 13s right away.
There is a reason the "cars of ole can't measure up to todays", it's called technology.
Back in the late 60's early 70' you could also buy a car off the showroom floor and put on some slicks and go low 13's high 12's.............today if you've got the money you can buy a "New" CobraJet and go into the 9's....Grabber Blue5.0l's car was in the low 11's...and pretty much stock.........buy a new Mustang Eco-Boost and not even spend much money and go 13's.........and it's a 4 cylinder!

There is just no way to compare yesterdays cars to todays.....not even the same animal.......us Ole Guys paved the way for young "wipper snappers", so you're welcome!
Old 08-24-2015, 04:07 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I see you know about old Grumpy Bill.
I got acquainted with him at the Cecil County and Atco Drag strips back in the 60's.
I bought a 1966 427 Corvette brand new. Took it up to his shop and spent about $2,000 more then the $5,700 I paid for the car on it.
First time running at Cecil County I turned a 10:88 at 143 MPH with the Slicks Grumpy bill provided with the Modifications.
It was one really fast Corvette. I would be in the poorhouse with the price of gas now a days because it only got about ten miles to the gallon until you got on it, then it went way down.
Street racing for money was fine and everywhere in those days and I won all of my money back from buying the car and the Jenkins touch in a month.
Those were the best days ever for us car people because anybody that even try's street racing now- a- days is really dumb. There are way to many cars on the road and it is just not safe like in our day.
Cars are extremely fast right out of the Factory now and have better brakes, suspensions and safer, but unless you go to a drag strip and run your car , you will never know how much fun you can have on four wheels.
Ronnie
Not to say I knew him, I met him twice. The first time at Seattle, WA and was having a carb issue........he was walking by some people while I was trying to get the car to idle, he came over and said shut the car off and give me a screwdriver and wrench.......fixed it within a couple of seconds and he told me I'd be ok and walked away. The next time was at Pomona and I walked up to ask him a question and he wouldn't even turn around to look at me just said he was busy and told me to ask someone else.........kind of night and day thing and one guy who knew him told me he was that way.
Racing NHRA back then was fun, exciting and everyone was mostly like family. I had a guy I knew brake a rearend...........I had gone out the round before so we swapped rear ends............at the tree he was an enemy........in the pits you were friends..........loved that!
Old 08-24-2015, 04:48 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Yes, Those were the days

It was just a lot more fun and not only drag racing but hanging out at the diner or Chuckwagon and watching a stream of cars pull through the parking lots. Hanging at the gas station or just tooling around.
We do have a cruise-in every night here in the Daytona area but it just ain't the same.
I still miss the old Muscle cars and the thrill when flooring them. A nice set of Thrush Mufflers on an older V8 is like Mozart came back to life and played the music coming out of those pipes.

There was not much traffic at night because people actually worked for a living and were in bed by nine or so. Only us youngsters were out at night.
Ronnie
Old 08-27-2015, 01:18 PM   #21
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
I love going to Cecil County during the test and tune nights. I love just walking around and checking out what everyone has brought.

I usually do about 5 passes and compare my numbers to others that are running.

Got to say, I'm still feeling smug about beating an '09 GT.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang