Rear ended by unlicensed driver - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2015, 10:40 AM   #1

Region: California
Rear ended by unlicensed driver

I was just rearended on the fwy by a 18 year old with no license who was driving her mom's car. Chp arrived to the scene and took a report ( she begged me not to call, but I did anyway). I've gotten a preliminary estimate of $6000.00 dollars in damages. What type of internal damages to the vehicle should I be aware of?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1440258199938-920511109.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	189866   Click image for larger version

Name:	1440258218262-1948991353.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	189867  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1440258231894733446767.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	189868  
Jetk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Those pics make my stomach turn. Hopefully it's 100% cosmetic and you can find a killer body shop to get her back to looking like new.

So how does that work as far as their insurance? Can you go after the mom who owned the car? Are you out of $6K of your own?
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:56 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Man, that's painful to look at. Sounds like everybody was OK and you were able to drive your car after? One thing I think would be if the impact bar under the bumper cover and Styrofoam is messed up or not.

I don't know how it goes with an unlicensed driver. If it's the mom's car, I would think you could go after her insurance. What does your insurance say?
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2015, 11:05 AM   #4

The mom is insured by one of those fly by night companies that takes advantage of Spanish speakers.....so Im pretty sure they'll deny the claim. I have full coverage and my insurance will pay minus the $500 deductible....but I'm kinda hoping the damages will add up to a total loss ( I have gap, so I could go get the 2015.) Plus I'm worried about the saftey of driving my daughter around in a car that's has such significant damages.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:12 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
How do the quarter panels look? Make sure they haven't buckled at all. Also how do the doors open and shut? Obviously they will have to replace the inner bumper structure, look under the car and see how the trunk floor looks. I'd be willing to bet it's a bit bent out of shape as well. Man she got you good huh?
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
How do the quarter panels look? Make sure they haven't buckled at all. Also how do the doors open and shut? Obviously they will have to replace the inner bumper structure, look under the car and see how the trunk floor looks. I'd be willing to bet it's a bit bent out of shape as well. Man she got you good huh?
She was going about 25 mph and chp was going to impound her car. I asked him not to ( that's about the extent of my mercy) so he cited her.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry that this happened to you.

One of the benefits of having "full coverage" insurance is that your insurance company will pay to repair your car and they will also go after the owner of the "at fault" vehicle's insurance company for full payment of all damages incurred in the accident. If that insurance company is licensed to do business in CA, or anywhere in the US really, they will have to pay up. If they didn't, your insurance company will make sure to put them out of business.
So, as long as the unlicensed drivers vehicle was indeed insured, you shouldn't have to pay your deductible.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Sorry that this happened to you.

One of the benefits of having "full coverage" insurance is that your insurance company will pay to repair your car and they will also go after the owner of the "at fault" vehicle's insurance company for full payment of all damages incurred in the accident. If that insurance company is licensed to do business in CA, or anywhere in the US really, they will have to pay up. If they didn't, your insurance company will make sure to put them out of business.
So, as long as the unlicensed drivers vehicle was indeed insured, you shouldn't have to pay your deductible.
Not quite so fast. Insurance will deny the claim, as she did not have a valid driver's license. That would be the same unless your in a No-Fault State. Since she is an adult, you have no recourse for the insurance company and if the mother says the daughter took the car without her permission, it will be your insurance that will have to (excuse the phrase) Pony Up. You could sue the daughter and hope she wins the lottery or is rich. If she was rich, she would have been driving her own car.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:11 PM   #9

I think this is probably the case. Still, waiting for the teardown is what I'm worried about. Cause I have no idea what that's going to cost me.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:13 PM   #10

BTW I traded in my 06 GT for this car 4 months ago.....its just too sad....
Old 08-22-2015, 03:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Sorry to hear about this

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
etr3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Sad day. Hope things work out for you
Old 08-22-2015, 03:54 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Do you have uninsured motorist coverage? In Kansas that is required.
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
if the cops were going to write her a ticket, i'd have asked to impound her car.

guess i just have absolutely no sympathy for moronic idiots.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:20 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
And shame on the mom for letting her unlicensed daughter drive the car...that's just boneheaded.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Not quite so fast. Insurance will deny the claim, as she did not have a valid driver's license. That would be the same unless your in a No-Fault State. Since she is an adult, you have no recourse for the insurance company and if the mother says the daughter took the car without her permission, it will be your insurance that will have to (excuse the phrase) Pony Up. You could sue the daughter and hope she wins the lottery or is rich. If she was rich, she would have been driving her own car.
They will NOT deny the claim based solely on the fact that the driver is unlicensed. This is CA. A state FULL of illegal immigrants. Until just recently they could not legally obtain a drivers license. The insurance companies were, and still are, all to willing to sell insurance to ANYONE. Licensed or not!
It is possible that the girl was officially excluded from the insurance policy, but if she was not, all automobile insurance policies in CA cover anyone driving the insured vehicle.

The bottom line is, this is what you pay for when you buy insurance. As soon as you file a claim with your insurance company, it becomes their problem. They are the ones who will decide to sue anyone, regarding being re-compensated for any damage claims that they had to pay to their insured. They will aggressively pursue collecting from the person at fault, or their insurance carrier, for any and all of their losses.
In the worst case scenario here, Jet might have to sue the driver for his $500 deductible in small claims court, to be made financially "whole" again.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:39 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetk81 View Post
The mom is insured by one of those fly by night companies that takes advantage of Spanish speakers.....so Im pretty sure they'll deny the claim. I have full coverage and my insurance will pay minus the $500 deductible....but I'm kinda hoping the damages will add up to a total loss ( I have gap, so I could go get the 2015.) Plus I'm worried about the saftey of driving my daughter around in a car that's has such significant damages.
Sorry to hear about your accident. I had a 72 RS Z28 totaled by a woman running a red light doing about 50mph, a month after I completed a full restoration. I know the frustrating you are going thru but thankfully no one was seriously hurt. Typically the teardown will reveal additional damage and increase the repair costs. In California if the damage amount hits 60% of the car's value the insurance companies consider it a total loss. Good luck, hope all works out.
Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:20 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Sorry to hear about this. I hope everything works out for you.
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:46 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Looks like your exhaust was pushed in as well. Probably some damage there that could lead up to the engine.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-22-2015, 10:53 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
Looks like your exhaust was pushed in as well. Probably some damage there that could lead up to the engine.

The flimsy piping will bend before the force of the impact reaches the motor.

As to the OP... Sorry! Accidents happen. At least no one was injured. The damage really isn't that bad compared to what I've seen/been in. Looks like its going to be cosmetic and you shouldn't have a problem getting her looking new again! They won't total that out. Good luck with everything!

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:05 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Internally if the frame rails are bent bad enough it would be a total loss. I've had damage less than that from the back and the rails were bent enough for my insurance to call it a total loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 08-23-2015, 01:45 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
The flimsy piping will bend before the force of the impact reaches the motor.
If you say so.

To the OP, I would check the exhaust all the way to the engine.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:09 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Sorry but that won't be a total loss, and there is prob another $6k damage under there. If she has fly by night ins, get an attorney...and quickly.
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:52 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

That sucks OP, sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, it's usually the other driver that you have to worry about. You need eyes all over your head anymore. Hope things work out for you..

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
rmb427r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:27 AM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
18 yr old female......I'll bet she was texting, and didn't look up in time. Sorry to hear about this happening to you and your 'Stang.
Go to a first rate body shop, and INSIST on OEM parts from Ford only. When you pick up the car after it's done, carefully sight down both sides, check all body gaps for consistency, and only pick up the car on a bright sunny day so that you can check the paint match. There should be NO overspray, and no paint lines inside the trunk or doors.....insist on that as part of the estimate.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:05 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
When I look at the picture of your car.....since it's the same color as my 14 it makes me really sad.
25mph is quite a hit in the rear and walking away without injury is the main thing.
Unfortunately when it is repaired it will be well documented on CarFax.......just make sure you take it to the best body shop around and as was said earlier insist on OE parts.
Good Luck
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:02 PM   #27
Staff

Regular
Staff

More mercy than I would have given unless the daughter took the car w/o permission. I also wouldn't say "accidents happen" at least not in this case...akin to driving drunk/racing it ain't an accident it's a crime.

sorry hope it works out as well as it can for you.

frame rails?
Old 08-23-2015, 02:40 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
More mercy than I would have given unless the daughter took the car w/o permission. I also wouldn't say "accidents happen" at least not in this case...akin to driving drunk/racing it ain't an accident it's a crime.

sorry hope it works out as well as it can for you.

frame rails?
Yes that what I said...why is there no such thing?
Old 08-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
That's another reason insurance companies ask who lives in the house and how old they are.

Sent from the Bathroom

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:19 PM   #30

Region: Arkansas
I truly feel for ya on being rear ended.
$6K worth? Maybe more likely $10K worth.
I was rear ended several years ago in my Dodge 4x4 and it actually broke the exhaust manifolds loose at the engine. The entire exhaust system had to be replaced along with rear step bumper (which started to rust after six months), and a few other items.
What insurance estimators don't see will be a burden forever for you. Cracked welds, exhaust hangers, stressed motor mounts, out of balance drive shaft, compromises seals, and the list goes on. Even though you're not at fault in the accident, you end up paying with your time and doing without your own personal vehicle for several days if not weeks, and it's never the same as original. Insurance companies cheap out with crappy parts, low estimates, and rental vehicles. Insurance companies also work hand in hand with the repair shops down to the penny they give you for the repairs. That my friend is a conflict of interest and it's an illegal profiteering scheme. Prices should be the same whether you are paying out of pocket or if insurance company is paying. My suggestion would be to get an attorney before talking with insurance company. That's just my opinion. Get compensated along with your car repaired.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:23 PM   #31
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Don't forget about "diminished value" if applicable in your state. Even if the car is fixed to good-as-new condition, the CarFax will show a pretty big incident and you'll never be able to get as much $$$ when you sell/trade as you did pre-accident. I would ask your insurance about this as well and let them go after the other party.

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:25 AM   #32
Staff

Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosariors3 View Post
Yes that what I said...why is there no such thing?
Not sure but in a uni-body is there anything called frame rails? There is no real frame.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:53 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Mud. There still technically frame rails and they will still be designed to be crushed under impact to help adsorb impact and make the car safer in an accident. If these did work properly and crushed in than I would feel pretty safe saying it's going to be a total loss depending on what the car is worth.

2013 pp mca 3.7 glass roof
2.5% dl tinted windows
Bbk shortys
20"resonators
Roush ab.
Bama/mpt tunes

More coming visually for now.
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:05 AM   #34
Staff

Regular
Staff

thx for learning me....I understand crumple zones and the like but are they really frame like?

I'll agree with if crumple zones are impacted the chances of total are better (esp with the value of a V6) .

It sux either way and you may want it to be totalled....you are going to take a hit no matter what sometimes it's best to just get it over rather than getting a car that MAY never be the same again even if it's just the placebo effect where you feel/see every imperfection
Old 08-24-2015, 07:15 AM   #35
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
This won't help you but for those of you out there with a car under 1 year old, or going to buy a new one, get an insurer like Liberty Mutual. I totaled my 2011 Mustang and they bought me a 2012 under their replacement policy. If you car is under 1 year old they will get you the next model year no questions asked. No depreciation of my old car and I don't remember paying a penny out of my pocket. Not available in NC, where I happened to move after my accident, but they treated me good and I am a loyal customer.
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang