Lower Control arms or something else? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-23-2015, 01:08 AM   #1

Region: Illinois
Lower Control arms or something else?

Hey, I have recently been researching my next purchase for my 2012 V6. Currently I'm running Bama 93 tune, Airaid CAI, and Roush ABs. Right now i'm considering lower control arms because that seems to be the next thing that would help my 0-60 slightly and reduce wheel hop. What else should I consider besides lower control arms? I have heard the stock manifolds really aren't that bad and shorty headers wouldn't really change all that much beside noise, and a new mid pipe with Roush AB are said to turn my exhaust note to that of a Honda with a fart cannon. I was considering Accel coils but I'm not sure how much that would help either.

Anything to consider that i'm missing here ?
TrevorHolmberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2015, 08:09 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Gears & bmr LCA.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Gears

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2015, 10:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorHolmberg View Post
Hey, I have recently been researching my next purchase for my 2012 V6. Currently I'm running Bama 93 tune, Airaid CAI, and Roush ABs. Right now i'm considering lower control arms because that seems to be the next thing that would help my 0-60 slightly and reduce wheel hop. What else should I consider besides lower control arms? I have heard the stock manifolds really aren't that bad and shorty headers wouldn't really change all that much beside noise, and a new mid pipe with Roush AB are said to turn my exhaust note to that of a Honda with a fart cannon. I was considering Accel coils but I'm not sure how much that would help either.

Anything to consider that i'm missing here ?
I installed a set of aftermarket LCA's on my 2011 and it made a big difference in controlling the wheel hop when nailing it from a dead stop.

I would highly recommend investing in a pair. I have the J&M LCA's non adjustable (not lowering my pony) and they do a great job. No more wheel hop.

Non ๐Ÿผand non ๐ŸŒฝfed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #5

Ah yes gears are something I plan on doing when I have the money. I asked my local (trusted) shop and they quoted me nearly $1,000 for installing the gears! I'm not sure if thats a good price, but if it is then damn i'm going to wait a while before doing that!
Old 08-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #6
Kevin.Cook

Call around. Transmission shops and such can sometimes do gears.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorHolmberg View Post
Ah yes gears are something I plan on doing when I have the money. I asked my local (trusted) shop and they quoted me nearly $1,000 for installing the gears! I'm not sure if thats a good price, but if it is then damn i'm going to wait a while before doing that!
Holly hell lol, I'm still amazed on some of these quotes I come across. A gear install, labour and gears with quality gear oil and nothing but ford racing gears shouldn't run over 700.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I got my gears installed with parts and installation for 500.. It includes the oil as well..

MPT tune, Axle exchange Aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter, roush louvers, and RTR stripes... ๐Ÿ˜Ž ๐Ÿš˜
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
If budget is also a concern, rear LCAs should be a cheap and cheerful upgrade that will reduce wheel hop. If you don't mind getting on your back, you can swap them out with the car on ramps in a couple of hours, so you're only out the green for the hardware.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
If budget is also a concern, rear LCAs should be a cheap and cheerful upgrade that will reduce wheel hop. If you don't mind getting on your back, you can swap them out with the car on ramps in a couple of hours, so you're only out the green for the hardware.

Yea whatever I plan to get next I hope to do myself. This is why i'm trying to stay away from gears currently. Don't have the cash currently to spend $700+ (I'm 18 and still in high school, can't pick up the extra hours at work )

Also, I actually found a mid-pipe that interested me. MAC makes a Prochamber mid-pipe for the V6 that allows you to keep your stock cats. Obviously I would have to have it done professionally, but i'm sure it wouldn't be that much to cut and weld the Prochamber in. Keeping the cats in would reduce rasp from the new mid-pipe greatly I assume, and while i'm sure it wouldn't produce as much power as catless, I guess it would give a little bit of added exhaust flow. Problem is there's literally NOBODY that I could find with these Prochambers, so i'm not sure how it would sound...

Right now i'm thinking LCA and the MAC Prochamber mid-pipe (The one where you keep your cats, only $370-ish) so my car doesn't sound raspy and gives a little more flow. Opinions?
Old 08-24-2015, 05:19 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
That $370 for the Prochamber could be better spent elsewhere. You really won't gain much sound or power if keeping the cats.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang