SCT tuner questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-23-2015, 10:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
SCT tuner questions

I'm looking at getting the tuner and just using the pre-loaded tunes for now. I watched on a Velocity show how it works and understand that at initial setup you just cycle through and choose all the options that fit your car and then pick a tune... looks pretty simple.

However, with our Mustangs having the adaptive learning crap (which I despise) and the "sport" mode, I had some questions for you members that have the SCT.

1) Is it smart to disconnect your battery for 20 mins before installing a tune? I've read that it helps to reset your ECU so you can start with a "clean slate"?

2) Does the crappy adaptive learning eventually dumb down or jackup the tune you select? Seems I've seen some posts on here where people felt the adaptive learning canceled the effect of the tune over time?

3) Sport mode simply keep your tranny from down shifting after acceleration so what effect does it have when you have a tune loaded?

4) The guy on TV said that it saves your factory tune? Is this simply to go back to AND if I go back to it would Ford be able to see I used a non OEM tune (if I had it in the shop)?

5) This is probably my most important question... I've read a lot on here how MPT creates "hard" shifts. This makes me nervous. If Ford tuned our cars for soft shifts I think it's safe to assume they did it to extend the life of the tranny? I want fast shifts, but definitely NOT hard, does the pre-loaded street tune cause hard shifts?

6) Will the street tune cancel out the horrible restricted feeling of initial torque? This alone would be worth the money IMO.

7) SCT claims "switch on the fly"... how easy is it to switch tunes?

Thanks in advance and please take it easy on me, I'm a newb to the tune world.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2015, 10:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Oh, and do I need to keep it plugged in at all times to keep the tune or can I upload the tune and remove the SCT and forget it?
Old 08-23-2015, 11:26 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I would assume ford made it shift like a slush box for fuel economy purposes. Ford will always be able to tell that your car has seen an aftermarket tune if they want to find out. And a good tune will for sure give you a better throttle response.

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

And you can upload the tune and then throw the device in your glove box or something. It doesn't need to be constantly plugged in.
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2015, 08:52 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Go with the tune. I wouldn't listen to half the garbage that's out there. And yes u can go back to factory if u feel like u don't like it but I doubt u will

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 08-24-2015, 09:26 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I want to be able to go back to factory for road trips and winter weather. From what Ive read I pretty sure I'll love it, but need some peace of mind on the questions above first.

Thanks for the replies so far and keep em coming!
Old 08-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Why would u wanna change it back for road trips and weather conditions? ul prob get better gas mileage with the tune and what's the weather got to do with it? I'm just trying to understand what u think the tune will or won't do..

Old 08-24-2015, 09:33 AM   #7
Kevin.Cook

I will say when I want a tame tune with decent gas mileage, I load my Bama V2 tune.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:40 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Our Stangs are factory tuned for max fuel efficiency, so for road trips it makes sense.

I live in the upper midwest... You want the slush box granny tune for snow, trust me.

I'm just looking for knowledgeable answers to my questions so I know exactly what to expect, it's how I prefer to do things to eliminate any unpleasant surprises.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2015, 09:43 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

u have an automatic?
Old 08-24-2015, 09:48 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
I will say when I want a tame tune with decent gas mileage, I load my Bama V2 tune.
Yes but as we discussed on another thread, I'm getting 27 mpg at 80 mph with my 3.31 gears. I seriously doubt that I'm going to get significantly better than that so for my purposes if I can simply switch back to stock tune for road trips, why spend the money on a custom tune?

My goal is to be able to switch between the SCT street, track, and back to stock when needed.

I think we are getting sidetracked as to "why" I want to do what I want to do. I appreciate the inquiries, but really I'm just looking for answers to those specific questions.

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosariors3 View Post
u have an automatic?
Yes. 2014 PP.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:52 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
If you'll be switching back to stock for winter than I would recommend using mpt tunes instead. Mpt will give you smoother power and more power than bamas v2. I just compared bama vs mpt the last few weeks myself using the same tune from each company. 93 race. Mpt definately pulled harder. A lot

2013 pp mca 3.7 glass roof
2.5% dl tinted windows
Bbk shortys
20"resonators
Roush ab.
Bama/mpt tunes

More coming visually for now.
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:52 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

My bad... I just assume everyone here has a coyote and pushing 675 horses at the crank and anytime someone is talking tunes i automatically assume they want it for hp and torque gains and if u get better gas mileage at the end that's a bonus. Didn't realize what ur goals were I prob should read your whole thread
Old 08-24-2015, 09:54 AM   #13
Kevin.Cook

1) Is it smart to disconnect your battery for 20 mins before installing a tune? I've read that it helps to reset your ECU so you can start with a "clean slate"? You do not need to disconnect your battery.

2) Does the crappy adaptive learning eventually dumb down or jackup the tune you select? Seems I've seen some posts on here where people felt the adaptive learning canceled the effect of the tune over time? I would say yes. I had a Bama tune loaded for about a month or so and over time it became "tame". So I reloaded the same tune and the car felt peppy again. This will be one of those items you should pay attention to in case you notice any differences.

3) Sport mode simply keep your tranny from down shifting after acceleration so what effect does it have when you have a tune loaded? Sport mode gives you engine braking, removes 6th gear (if you do not take manual control), and makes the shift points a little more aggressive. Having a tune loaded will bump up the power of the car a little, but if you put it in Sport Mode, all of those items will still be in place. The tune only overwrites the shift points and such in "Drive".

4) The guy on TV said that it saves your factory tune? Is this simply to go back to AND if I go back to it would Ford be able to see I used a non OEM tune (if I had it in the shop)? Yes it saves the stock tune so in case you want to sell the tuner or car, you can revert back to the stock tune and "unmarry" the SCT device. This makes it easier to sell them. Also, yes, Ford will be able to tell you loaded an aftermarket tune.

5) This is probably my most important question... I've read a lot on here how MPT creates "hard" shifts. This makes me nervous. If Ford tuned our cars for soft shifts I think it's safe to assume they did it to extend the life of the tranny? I want fast shifts, but definitely NOT hard, does the pre-loaded street tune cause hard shifts? Well with MPT you actually get to choose how hard your Shift points feel/are. So if you are worried about this, don't choose their Race shift points. Bama might be able to adjust these also but not sure.

6) Will the street tune cancel out the horrible restricted feeling of initial torque? This alone would be worth the money IMO. It can smooth it out a bit but it is hard to eliminate it completely as these are Autos.

7) SCT claims "switch on the fly"... how easy is it to switch tunes? Yup, just plug in the tuning device and load the new/different tune.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Now that I know u have an auto it all makes sense to why u would wanna switch back when there 10 ft of snow on the ground.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
If you'll be switching back to stock for winter than I would recommend using mpt tunes instead. Mpt will give you smoother power and more power than bamas v2. I just compared bama vs mpt the last few weeks myself using the same tune from each company. 93 race. Mpt definately pulled harder. A lot

2.5% dl tinted windows
Bbk shortys
20"resonators
Roush ab.
Bama/mpt tunes

Yes, when/if I do eventually get custom tunes I will likely go MPT since I have read similar to what you just said.

For the time being I'm on a very tight budget so I'm just looking to use the SCT tunes and stock when needed.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:59 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Get a tune, don't look back. After a week driving it you'll wonder wtf you were waiting for.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My bad... I just assume everyone here has a coyote and pushing 675 horses at the crank and anytime someone is talking tunes i automatically assume they want it for hp and torque gains and if u get better gas mileage at the end that's a bonus. Didn't realize what ur goals were I prob should read your whole thread
No problem, I di that too sometimes. Lol

To be clear, I'm looking to get the SCT tune for one reason... To give my Stang the accleleration it deserves.

But like I said, there are situations where the stock granny tune comes in handy.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Save your penny's. I don't think the sct tunes are even worth trying. I think you'd be much much happier starting with mpt than using any other tune.

2.5% dl tinted windows
Bbk shortys
20"resonators
Roush ab.
Bama/mpt tunes

20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Now that I know u have an auto it all makes sense to why u would wanna switch back when there 10 ft of snow on the ground.
Lol 10 feet of snow and my *** is staying home. But unfortunately I have to subject my Stang to the harshness of winter so yes, if there is snow or ice out granny tune (stock) will be very helpful.

Actially that is what I keep thinking the stock tune feels like... Snow mode on most autos. Shame on Ford for not giving us a button for "fuel econ" and then just tune these beasts how they deserve.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:10 AM   #20
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
Lol 10 feet of snow and my *** is staying home. But unfortunately I have to subject my Stang to the harshness of winter so yes, if there is snow or ice out granny tune (stock) will be very helpful.

Actially that is what I keep thinking the stock tune feels like... Snow mode on most autos. Shame on Ford for not giving us a button for "fuel econ" and then just tune these beasts how they deserve.
What is funny, is on my old 94 3000GT, it had an Economy and Power button. Which essentially does what Sport Mode does (Changes Shift points, etc). Leave it to Ford to take 15-20 years before they catch on to these features.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:10 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
Save your penny's. I don't think the sct tunes are even worth trying. I think you'd be much much happier starting with mpt than using any other tune.

2.5% dl tinted windows
Bbk shortys
20"resonators
Roush ab.
Bama/mpt tunes

Really? The guy on TV and about 100 reviewers on Amazon said the preloaded SCT tunes made a huge difference.

I don't have any mods except for axle backs so a custom tune at this point seems a bit much.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:12 AM   #22
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Really? The guy on TV and about 100 reviewers on Amazon said the preloaded SCT tunes made a huge difference.

I don't have any mods except for axle backs so a custom tune at this point seems a bit much.
Usually those types of tunes have minor adjustments but nothing too crazy. So they give people a slight bump to romp around in but very much safe for the normal user.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:14 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What is funny, is on my old 94 3000GT, it had an Economy and Power button. Which essentially does what Sport Mode does (Changes Shift points, etc). Leave it to Ford to take 15-20 years before they catch on to these features.
Lol. I wish Ford would have just tuned these more aggressively and then gave us a "econ" button. Then just give us the option to manual shift so we can engine break and all that other stuff as needed.

I'm not a fan of sport mode unless I'm controlling the shifting.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:17 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Usually those types of tunes have minor adjustments but nothing too crazy. So they give people a slight bump to romp around in but very much safe for the normal user.
Safe for the normal user is what I'm looking for right now. I can and likely will order MPT tunes down the road, but I need the SCT unit to do that anyway so I might as well start off slow.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:20 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I feel ur pain I live in ne pa and we get our share of snow. Fortunately for me my stang is a "weekend warrior" and goes into hibernation during the winter. As far as ford!!! Ppl make a lot of comments they should've done this or that. If they did even did some of the things ppl say they should've done then we would be paying more for are cars at the time of purchase. Also it wouldn't be as fun to build our car as far as mods. Everyone has they're own idea of how the setup of there car should be. That's what makes the stang owners diff.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:20 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Back to question 2, how often will I need to reload the tune? Once a week?

Adaptive learning. This is where car companies are thinking too much.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #27
Kevin.Cook

Well, whichever tuner you go with, will give you the SCT tuning device with the vendor's tunes loaded on to it. You can specify that you want the 87 tune to be for Economy and the 93 tune to be as aggressive as possible. Just make sure you don't ask for the Race shift points and you should be fine.

I would not waste $400 for just getting the SCT tuner and bland tunes. Get the SCT tuner from a vendor so you get tunes worth loading. Again, you can get 1 of each (Economy and Performance), so it wouldn't be a waste.

Who said it? Buy once, cry once. The cheap man pays twice.

Because if you buy the SCT tuner with its bland preloaded tunes, then you have to either spend $150 for the tunes for life program from Bama if you want their tunes later OR $70 a tune from MPT.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #28
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Back to question 2, how often will I need to reload the tune? Once a week?

Adaptive learning. This is where car companies are thinking too much.
I wouldn't really even go as far as reloading the tune. Just unhook the battery for about an hour - once a month. Unless the tuning companies fixed this recently. But I will say, I have not experienced the adaptive learning disabled.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:24 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well, whichever tuner you go with, will give you the SCT tuning device with the vendor's tunes loaded on to it. You can specify that you want the 87 tune to be for Economy and the 93 tune to be as aggressive as possible. Just make sure you don't ask for the Race shift points and you should be fine.

I would not waste $400 for just getting the SCT tuner and bland tunes. Get the SCT tuner from a vendor so you get tunes worth loading. Again, you can get 1 of each (Economy and Performance), so it wouldn't be a waste.

Because if you buy the SCT tuner with its bland preloaded tunes, then you have to either spend $150 for the tunes for life program from Bama if you want their tunes later OR $70 a tune from MPT.
Can u ellaborate on the race shift points?

Old 08-24-2015, 10:24 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol I'm not cheap, but I am smart. I can get the tuner for $328 on amazon prime and I researched that MPT charges $70. So in the end I wont spend a dime more.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #31
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Can u ellaborate on the race shift points?

If you go with MPT and get the RACE shift points. The automatic car will almost always rev to 2000-2500 RPM before each shift. And when it shifts, it is hard enough to jerk your neck fairly decent each time. As well as the car. This is not always optimal for the daily driver getting from point A to point B. Especially if you don't want to be burning up a lot of gas just getting to Taco Bell or somewhere. lol.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:29 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

That makes sense. I've never owned an auto mustang so just curious to how it would drive.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #33
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Lol I'm not cheap, but I am smart. I can get the tuner for $328 on amazon prime and I researched that MPT charges $70. So in the end I wont spend a dime more.
As long as you are happy with it then that is fine. I would go with a vendor outside of SCT as you can get a good 87 economy tune from them also. Each vendor usually gives 3 tunes. Also...I think you are missing 1 important item....REVISIONS.

Because I don't see on SCT's site that they give free revisions for any amount of time. So here is the thing, your SCT tune will be configured with whatever your setup is when you purchase the tunes. So say you mod it again down the road. Now all 3 SCT tunes will be no good as they have not been revised for optimal performance with the new mods. Yes you can adjust settings to try and accommodate some of the mods so they don't throw CELs, but the power of the car itself won't be optimized.

This is why I would go with a Vendor. Because they will revise all 3 tunes for you with the new mods. So your 87 tune will still be good. Your 93 tune, will also still be good.

And if you just get the 1 93 tune from MPT, then that 1 tune will be the only one they will revise for you. The 87 tune will be no good if you added a lot of different mods later on.

Now if you confirm SCT revises tunes for free, then ignore this.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:42 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
As long as you are happy with it then that is fine. I would go with a vendor outside of SCT as you can get a good 87 economy tune from them also. Each vendor usually gives 3 tunes. Also...I think you are missing 1 important item....REVISIONS.

Because I don't see on SCT's site that they give free revisions for any amount of time. So here is the thing, your SCT tune will be configured with whatever your setup is when you purchase the tunes. So say you mod it again down the road. Now all 3 SCT tunes will be no good as they have not been revised for optimal performance with the new mods. Yes you can adjust settings to try and accommodate some of the mods so they don't throw CELs, but the power of the car itself won't be optimized.

This is why I would go with a Vendor. Because they will revise all 3 tunes for you with the new mods. So your 87 tune will still be good. Your 93 tune, will also still be good.

And if you just get the 1 93 tune from MPT, then that 1 tune will be the only one they will revise for you. The 87 tune will be no good if you added a lot of different mods later on.

Now if you confirm SCT revises tunes for free, then ignore this.
Yes I thought of that but once I do mod it down the road I will then get the MPT tunes.

Also it's my understanding that SCT provides updates all the time, so every few months I will just hook it up to my laptop and make sure I have everything current.

Trust me, Im sure Ill pony up to MPT next summer. For now I'm easing in with the basic.

So how often do I have to reload the tune to kill the adaptive learning BS?
Old 08-24-2015, 10:47 AM   #35
Kevin.Cook

SCT releases updates for the tuning device itself, not for the tunes. So be careful on that one.

I would rather suggest unhooking the battery to let the car relearn vs reloading the tune. You don't want the ECU to have 100 flashes by the time you get rid of the car. Lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang