Ford - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-24-2015, 05:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Thumbs down Ford $tealer$hip

How is everyone doing today? I hope your weekend was not too short. Mine surely was, always is...

Ok on topic. It was time for my Stang to get her oil changed and to get the inspection done. Decided I would take her to Sterling McCall Ford here in Houston (59&Hillcroft) since she is still under warranty by the way.

That way I could drop her off, they shuttle me to work and this also gives me the opportunity to have them check out a few minor annoyances I am having. One thing that I advised them about is that I can hear a high pitched "squealing, scrapping, metal on metal type noise" coming from the passenger rear suspension area.

Thinking it may be that strut again, they replaced it back in January but I was not sure. The Mechanic called me at work and stated that the noise is the "Brake Clip" and it is completely missing from the pad/caliper/rotor. So naturally I asked if it is covered under warranty....and it is NOT.....Ok, no big deal, thats what happens when you get a used vehicle regardless of it being a Certified Pre-Owned....right....

Guess what they wanted $150 to replace it! What the flipping hell????
Quick Googlefu was conducted and this part is $3....$3!!!! At O'Reily's. I know what I am doing this weekend.

My first Ford guys so don't hate on me too much. My Japanese cars never had this issue but I am not entirely sure if all vehicles have these so maybe I have been deaf this whole time. Haha. Have a great week!

2012 101a Mustang V6 M/T 6-Speed
3.7Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2015, 05:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

There's little retaining clips that hold the pads into the calipers, if the retaining clip isn't there, the pad can make permanent contact with the rotor and "squeal" a little. Since its technically a service item its not warranty, so they were trying to charge you full parts and labor to replace it.

There is not a Ford Dealership yet in Houston that hasn't pissed me off except Legacy Ford, and i'm not even that anal of a customer, I just hate when people try to blatantly rip me off. Mac Haik in I-10 for example. I had some slop in my steering wheel and I took it in to have them look at it and I get a call not 20 minutes later ( so I know they didn't even look at it):

"Oh yeah, your car is lowered, that's why your steering is jacked up"
-I'm running the OEM suspension from the Boss mustang ...
"oh, well then its probably the exhaust you have that did it, so its $1200 to replace the steering rack."

Took the car to Legacy and the mechanic let me come out into the bay with them and put my car on a lift with another mustang next to it to compare. One of the bolts in my steering column was backwards, so the slip collar wasn't working properly ... turned it around and everything was right as rain. You have got to be kidding me, and those jokers wanted $1200.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
The ford clip is probably $30 and the rest is labour ha ha.
My wife's Mazda 5 that was bought new and under warranty had a similar mishap with the dealer. They tightened a bolt in the sliding door that apparently wasn't cover under the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty and they tried to charge my wife $260 because it took him three hours to find the clunk my wife was hearing. I called Mazda Canada to complain and never heard back from them again. 6 months later it was traded in to ford for a new 2014 Fusion eco.
The Mazda 5 was a great car but always having the dealer trying to get their hand in my wallet and 0 support from Mazda = Never again!
Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2015, 06:19 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Ford $tealer$hip

$150 for $3 part, sounds like a rip off center.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Also like my exhaust, 30 minute job, took 2 and a half hours. $185. I was so pissed.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Don't feel bad man, Ford dealers or any dealer is gonna try to find something during inspection that's "not covered". And get back a little $. I have a dealer like that and I cringe going in for anything.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:33 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
Don't feel bad man, Ford dealers or any dealer is gonna try to find something during inspection that's "not covered". And get back a little $. I have a dealer like that and I cringe going in for anything.
Or in my past experience, the dealer breaks something when the car is in for service...

To the OP: if you are mechanically inclined, I'd encourage you to consider doing your own oil changes. Will save you $ in the long run and give you peace of mind that Crog the Dealer Gorilla hasn't played with your car...
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Appreciate the comments! Yea I've known to dab a bit in the wrenching department but the only reason why I don't is I live in an apartment whom frown upon doing mechanical work on their property.

Also....its Texas....the heat...has been unbearable. 102 today.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:05 PM   #9
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7Muscle View Post
Appreciate the comments! Yea I've known to dab a bit in the wrenching department but the only reason why I don't is I live in an apartment whom frown upon doing mechanical work on their property.

Also....its Texas....the heat...has been unbearable. 102 today.
I hear that bro! I usually tackle jobs like these around 7am and hope I get done by 9-10am. Lol. Gotta beat the sun or you will be roasting like a turkey.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The OP should feel very lucky, because this is nothing compared to my experience.

I went to my dealer to check for a rear end noise. They quoted me $1750. It was an issue fixed another independent mechanic for 1 hour of labor: $110.
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Sigh. Not all dealerships are bad, but when stories like these keep circulating it just resets everyone's lowest expectations. When are they going to learn that doing business like this doesn't cut it anymore??
Old 08-24-2015, 10:27 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Ford $tealer$hip

They're infected with the sickness of greed. Simple as that. Money is on their mind, not customer satisfaction. Don't believe those BS commercials about customer satisfaction being their #1 priority.

Pick your poison.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I've been in my dealers waiting room with other people just in for an oil change (them not me) and the advisors come in to tell them "things" the tech discovered are dangerous and need replaced. It's usually the $100 to $300 range and you can tell they're just trying to up sell.
Whenever I go in for a minor warranty item, I like to make backhanded subtle hints that I'm no target, like....asking them to rotate the air in my tires or check my muffler bearings and blinker fluid. They're cheesy old school shady mechanic terms but they get the picture....jokingly of course.
Their tactics must work to some extent though because they still try on the people that might not know how to do things themselves or just blindly trust them.
I couldn't do that job, I would feel guilty not telling someone that there's a problem but they could fix it themselves for $30
Old 08-24-2015, 11:00 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

^ hint hint.

Pick your poison.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:17 PM   #15
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
I couldn't do that job, I would feel guilty not telling someone that there's a problem but they could fix it themselves for $30

Go work at a parts store for a few years. You'll get the people who want to fix it themselves for $30, but don't have the tools or know how and think you should just do it for free in the parking lot just because you know what the issue is, never mind that you need to drop the transmission or take out an axle.

😝

Sent from my #racecar

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:20 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
Go work at a parts store for a few years. You'll get the people who want to fix it themselves for $30, but don't have the tools or know how and think you should just do it for free in the parking lot just because you know what the issue is, never mind that you need to drop the transmission or take out an axle.

😝

Sent from my #racecar
You don't drop transmissions in parking lots for people? That is lame
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:31 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Uhh...drop it on what? Only concrete will do.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
Old 08-24-2015, 11:44 PM   #18
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post

I didn't say that. Just not for free. Everything can be negotiated. It's amazingly easy to pick up a college girl's phone number at a parts store when she needs wiper blades or a battery changed in the rain, lol. You know, have to make some kind of conversation while she holds the umbrella.

Sent from my #racecar

Old 08-25-2015, 05:23 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
My dealer doesn't mess with me. They hear my car and know I do stuff myself lol. I go for an oil change and that's exactly what I get. They don't try to up sell me anything.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-25-2015, 06:10 AM   #20
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
My dealer doesn't mess with me. They hear my car and know I do stuff myself lol. I go for an oil change and that's exactly what I get. They don't try to up sell me anything.

You "do stuff yourself" but take it to the dealer for an oil change?

Sent from my #racecar

Old 08-25-2015, 06:21 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I probably have the tiniest Ford dealership. Only a handful of cars for sale but a ok size service area. The town population is about 3000. I would prefer to go there because there's one or two career techs there that really know Fords but too many times I've seen and heard of them way over killing repair and maintenance costs. State inspections don't help. The process has evolved into a heavily lobbied mandate by way of a state car dealers association and political pressure. There is big time income for repair shops and dealerships. Their opinion that a part or component must be replaced to pass inspection puts you in a bind if you don't pay up and do it. If you take it home and still replace the so called bad part yourself, it still is a kick in the pants when you know there's nothing wrong with it and they just assumed you would have them do it.
A bill in the state house that proposed to eliminate annual state inspections on brand new cars until they are two years old got shot down in a ball of fire! It was openly explained why.....a significantly income loss to dealerships and state certified shops. Wow.

I'm a retired government type employee, traffic cop 20 years, so I kinda am pro government but....not blatant government mandated cash cows.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:17 AM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

Sent from my #racecar
Lmao I was thinking the same thing. Do everything yourself but you KNOW the person doing the oil change is the worker who they can't trust to do anything complicated. My father in law is a Honda master tech and has some... stories... about guys he has worked with in the past.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:33 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sent from my #racecar
I do the same.
The price difference between me buying the oil & filter and them doing it is minimal in my case, so it's worth it.
If they look and find something, while it's up on the lift, all the better. I'll take care of it myself.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:44 AM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm not arguing the cost of oil and a filter vs getting it done, I'm saying I don't want some dip**** at a dealer who isn't smart enough to work on actual big ticket things touching my car to do the oil.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:00 AM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I'm not arguing the cost of oil and a filter vs getting it done, I'm saying I don't want some dip**** at a dealer who isn't smart enough to work on actual big ticket things touching my car to do the oil.
Bingo. They probably have some 18 year old kid new on the job that week doing the oil changes.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:15 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Eh I will take risk while she is still under warranty. I do appreciate all the comments though! I didnt think this thread would get this much attention. I really was just venting and ranting on. Haha.

Now if someone here on the forums who live in Houston will allow me to use their driveway or shop to do my own oil, I would gladly do that. I love doing work on my car, the exhaust install was hard but fun and the shifter bracket was not too hard either but still fun in my eyes. Plus you get that satisfaction in knowing it was done right and that you did it.

Trust me I did everything when it came down to my previous cars 1995 Twin Cam Saturn SL2, 1999 Jetta TDi, 2002 Chrysler Sebring Vert, 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally and my old car, now my wife's, the 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:48 AM   #27
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

That is one thing I miss with my Explorer: oil change time = hop the front two tires up on the curb.

Sent from my #racecar

Old 08-25-2015, 12:42 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sent from my #racecar
Unfortunately, I don't have very much time. So, when I want to do something labor intensive to my car, I have to plan weeks in advance. As for oil changes, I can swing by the dealer after night shift and get it done within an hour. If I had more time, I would do it myself (I have in the past). It would take me longer than an hour to get the car jacked up in the garage and change the oil. I have just enough time to get home, take care of things, eat and go to bed. Days off are usually taken up with other life situations and running my small side business. I wish I did have more time, because I love working on my car.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:58 PM   #29
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't have very much time. So, when I want to do something labor intensive to my car, I have to plan weeks in advance. As for oil changes, I can swing by the dealer after night shift and get it done within an hour. If I had more time, I would do it myself (I have in the past). It would take me longer than an hour to get the car jacked up in the garage and change the oil. I have just enough time to get home, take care of things, eat and go to bed. Days off are usually taken up with other life situations and running my small side business. I wish I did have more time, because I love working on my car.

I was just curious. I do the same thing. Work @ 5am before the dealer opens and off @ 5-6pm after they close, so when I have a weekday off, I let them deal with it, lol.

Sent from my #racecar

Old 08-25-2015, 01:21 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
Bingo. They probably have some 18 year old kid new on the job that week doing the oil changes.
So you're going to put that poor kid out of a job.
His name might have been "Shelby".
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:28 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7Muscle View Post
Eh I will take risk while she is still under warranty. I do appreciate all the comments though! I didnt think this thread would get this much attention. I really was just venting and ranting on. Haha.

Now if someone here on the forums who live in Houston will allow me to use their driveway or shop to do my own oil, I would gladly do that. I love doing work on my car, the exhaust install was hard but fun and the shifter bracket was not too hard either but still fun in my eyes. Plus you get that satisfaction in knowing it was done right and that you did it.
I pretty much agree. Particularly about the satisfaction of doing it myself. Not so sure sometimes, however, about that "knowing it was done right" part.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:36 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was just curious. I do the same thing. Work @ 5am before the dealer opens and off @ 5-6pm after they close, so when I have a weekday off, I let them deal with it, lol.

Sent from my #racecar
I hear that. I'm 7 to 7 and switch back and forth every 2 weeks days and nights. Side business, girlfriend, my kids, her kids, everyday life... not much time left for me.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:26 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I hear that. I'm 7 to 7 and switch back and forth every 2 weeks days and nights. Side business, girlfriend, my kids, her kids, everyday life... not much time left for me.

Switching from nights to days and back every 2 weeks must be tough on the body.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:38 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:

Sent from my #racecar
I was thinking the same thing. πŸ‘

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:58 PM   #35
Staff
Regular
Staff

Damn how long does it take to drive up on ramps, pull a bolt out of a pan, undo a filter and redo it all and fill it? Usually takes me 20 minutes and 5 of those minutes is drinking a beer so I'm sure all the oil is out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang