Well, I got my expense sheet done from the AM show trip - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-24-2015, 10:53 PM   #1
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Well, I got my expense sheet done from the AM show trip

I just did my trip costs for gas from my drive up to the American Muscle show. I'm sure the MPG would have been much better if I did not have so much stop and go heavy traffic on 301 going up and I-95 coming home. Traffic was just horrendous. in the North east and I was happy to have an automatic transmission.
Ronnie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trip costs for 2015 AM trip.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	472.2 KB
ID:	190028  
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2015, 11:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Hey nicely done! You took the time and effort to keep great details and that can help other people try to anticipate their costs for future trips. I've tried this before and it never fails that I forget one or two gas stops or get lazy and don't look and write it down cause I have to pee like a trucker.
I'm soon to be on a similar mileage trip from NH to Virginia Beach and this gives me a rough idea what to expect. I'm going to also try to estimate toll $ (easy pass) so I know what to have in my account. I like to pre pay for my vacations and road trips so there's less stress and more fun. And no Capital One goons looking for my credit card payment. I usually take money out of my bank altogether little by little so it's not even in there to spend and then just before the trip, put it all back in. (It's not under my mattress so don't come looking for me) my "friend" is holding it in a safe place for me.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
You should have said hi on your stop in Ashland, VA! (I just wanted to see Mario again)
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2015, 08:15 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi Waylap1

I can't take all the credit for the good records. Mario won't let me go if I don't write down the information or take him for a walk around the gas stop.
I don't think 30 MPG of 87 octane is bad at 75/80 MPH or 2 to 3 MPH average speed.

Hi DiESeven, I could not believe the stop and go I had to do just North of Ashland. That traffic was just horrible and there was really no blockage causing it. I went straight through Richmond with no problems and other then stopping at rest stops, I had no more problems.

We stayed at the Best Western in Santee S.C. that night and headed home Sunday. From Richmond on South it was good driving all the way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1090122.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	1,015.9 KB
ID:	190038  
Old 08-25-2015, 08:30 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
30mpg in a 300hp sports car doing 80... I really should just pick my wife's aunt's 2014 V6 PP up off lease when she's done with it... damn.

Cool dog too, I love Corgis. And good on you for detailing that mileage out and in the auto too. I'd imagine someone with a stick could probably do a little better but probably not enough to make a huge difference.

Yeah auto is kind of required in a lot of the spots around here for a DD...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:49 AM   #6
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
mine gets nowhere near 30 mpg at 80.

MT 3.31 19" tires (either the Summer 255/40 or Nero 245/45?) best ever was 26/27 done with math all hwy

not trying to complain but I'm amazed at what some people get. Yes I try and anticipate hills/passing/etc.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:51 AM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

You wrote down gas to the 3rd decimal place?
Old 08-25-2015, 12:40 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

That is how it is on my receipts.

00.000 is how the receipts read.
I now have to find all of my Motel receipts and add them in.
Ronnie
Old 08-25-2015, 12:42 PM   #9
Kevin.Cook

I will only go to AM 2016 if there is a giveaway drawing for Mario.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:20 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey Kevin---HE IS FOR SALE

I'm asking four million dollars for him.
three million down and I'll take payments on the last million of $25.00 a month until paid off. I will keep Mario with me until he is all paid for. Since who ever buys him will own him, I will send all Vet bills as well as food bill to his new owner.
Ronnie

PS: He is ready to go again, He loves to ride in the Mustang, Stay in Motels, Stop at rest areas. and best of all he loves people and loves attention. I'm sooooo lucky to have him for my best friend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1090042.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	979.7 KB
ID:	190046   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090093.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	190047  

Name:	P1090063.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	918.0 KB
ID:	190048   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090078.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	190049  

Old 08-25-2015, 01:27 PM   #11
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
three million down and I'll take payments on the last million of $25.00 a month until paid off. I will keep Mario with me until he is all paid for. Since who ever buys him will own him, I will send all Vet bills as well as food bill to his new owner.
Ronnie

PS: He is ready to go again, He loves to ride in the Mustang, Stay in Motels, Stop at rest areas. and best of all he loves people and loves attention. I'm sooooo lucky to have him for my best friend.
Yes sir you are extremely lucky. I wanted a Corgi but the ones for sale around my area in Texas they go for $1,000-$1,500. Not sure if that is the norm but I'd rather have car mods with that level of spending. lol.

And nice planning. I see you got it figured out for someone to financially cover Mario for you while still reaping the benefits of having him around.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:35 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I have the same deal to sell my Mustang.

Only cheaper
One Million dollars will buy it,
Half down, $25.00 a month until paid for.
I keep the car until it is paid for.
I send insurance and all maintenance bills to the new owner,:
I will keep running the car because it is not really good to let it sit. Because I'm running it for the new owner I will send all gas bill to them too.

Ronnie
Old 08-25-2015, 01:41 PM   #13
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Only cheaper
One Million dollars will buy it,
Half down, $25.00 a month until paid for.
I keep the car until it is paid for.
I send insurance and all maintenance bills to the new owner,:
I will keep running the car because it is not really good to let it sit. Because I'm running it for the new owner I will send all gas bill to them too.

Ronnie
Old 08-25-2015, 02:02 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Ronnie

He looks like a million bucks that's for sure. And pic in the bottom right is one of the perks of having a friendly dog that is a breed you don't see often. Pembrokes are not SUPER rare but rare enough and everyone loves them. Lol you should see ppl falling over themselves when I take my Wolfhound anywhere haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Yes sir you are extremely lucky. I wanted a Corgi but the ones for sale around my area in Texas they go for $1,000-$1,500. Not sure if that is the norm but I'd rather have car mods with that level of spending. lol.

And nice planning. I see you got it figured out for someone to financially cover Mario for you while still reaping the benefits of having him around.
I'm going to sound like an *** here probably but what do you think you are paying for at that price from a good breeder? That is actually cheap if the dog is well bred with health tests and a legit AKC/UKC confirmation or work line pedigree.

A good quality breeder is going to spend a LOT of money getting all the correct DNA/health checks for the mother and running genetic screenings for any potential major issues with whatever potential sires that breeder has picked out. That's only preliminary.

There are bills for vet checks on the pregnant dog, the bills for the delivery, the initial battery of vaccines/checkups, blood tests, more checkups and any good quality breeder is not going to let the puppies go till the 11-12 week mark so there are food bills involved too.

Most good breeders of merit barley break even or make maybe $500-$1k asking $1500+ per puppy in an average sized litter. Maybe... I have 2 rescues and 3 show dogs. I love the rescues and they are great dogs but the purebreds are all much healthier, I know their pedigrees going back decades, they all had tons of health tests as did their parents and every single one of them has parents who are both either AKC Champions or Grand Champions.

I paid $2k for the Wolfhound, $1500 for the Ibizan and $1750 for the Bedlington. The Wolfhound and Ibizan both have their Championships already picking up Major wins at regional specialties and the Bedlington won Winner's Dog at Montgomery which is the most prestigious terrier show in the country.

Now obviously I am aware that most ppl aren't going to show their dogs but if one wanted to do coursing or field trials or earth dog or rally or get a legit quality hunting dog from a working line, that is the money you'll pay. Even for a pet quality dog from a really good breeder is going to be that $1,000 to $1,500 range. What you are paying for is peace of mind, a healthy dog from a breed where you will KNOW the temperament/size/look/potential health issues before its even born.

In closing, I will say BEWARE of "backyard breeders". Anyone can charge $$$$ for a puppy and say its a good breeding but that is up to the buyer to do due diligence. Get on the AKC website or the national breed club for the breed you are interested in and look up the "breeders of merit" and start contacting one if you are interested and be prepared to wait possibly over a year for a puppy.

And please don't fall for the "doodles"/designer dogs. Those are scams. Not saying that the dogs can't be good dogs, but people pay $thousands for a mutt with no legit pedigree and no health testing thinking its some sort of super dog that will be mega healthy and "hypoallergenic" (they aren't).

If I came off as an ***, I apologize and I know it was a long rant but seriously... paying $1500+ for a high quality purebred puppy from a breeder of merit is a cheap for a friend who will be with you for the next 12-15 years. It is a disservice to buy an animal from a bad breeder and don't get me started on some shelters out there... I'm not saying not to rescue... but do some research, there are a LOT of shady shelters out there and some very very good ones too.

/rant

#thatescalatedquickly

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:15 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

My Motel Bills- High but worth it

I only like Best Western Motels so I know I gotta just pay to not transport bed bugs home. I always ask for Best Western gift cards if someone asks what I would like for Christmas or my Birthday.
I stayed in:
Annapolis MD. on way up $111.85

Shillington Pa. for show $208.68 for two nights

Santee S.C. on way home for $92.13

Total motel bills = $412.66
My gift cards total = $225.00

Out of pocket cash = $187.66 for lodging

Six days at my friend Tom's was freeloading at no charge. Well, I did spend about $100.00 taking Tom out to dinner and Breakfast a few times but He fed me at his house a few times.

I already started saving up for next year. I know I will need about $500.00 + and some Best Western cards to cover expenses.
Ronnie
Old 08-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #16
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
He looks like a million bucks that's for sure. And pic in the bottom right is one of the perks of having a friendly dog that is a breed you don't see often. Pembrokes are not SUPER rare but rare enough and everyone loves them. Lol you should see ppl falling over themselves when I take my Wolfhound anywhere haha.

I'm going to sound like an *** here probably but what do you think you are paying for at that price from a good breeder? That is actually cheap if the dog is well bred with health tests and a legit AKC/UKC confirmation or work line pedigree.

A good quality breeder is going to spend a LOT of money getting all the correct DNA/health checks for the mother and running genetic screenings for any potential major issues with whatever potential sires that breeder has picked out. That's only preliminary.

There are bills for vet checks on the pregnant dog, the bills for the delivery, the initial battery of vaccines/checkups, blood tests, more checkups and any good quality breeder is not going to let the puppies go till the 11-12 week mark so there are food bills involved too.

Most good breeders of merit barley break even or make maybe $500-$1k asking $1500+ per puppy in an average sized litter. Maybe... I have 2 rescues and 3 show dogs. I love the rescues and they are great dogs but the purebreds are all much healthier, I know their pedigrees going back decades, they all had tons of health tests as did their parents and every single one of them has parents who are both either AKC Champions or Grand Champions.

I paid $2k for the Wolfhound, $1500 for the Ibizan and $1750 for the Bedlington. The Wolfhound and Ibizan both have their Championships already picking up Major wins at regional specialties and the Bedlington won Winner's Dog at Montgomery which is the most prestigious terrier show in the country.

Now obviously I am aware that most ppl aren't going to show their dogs but if one wanted to do coursing or field trials or earth dog or rally or get a legit quality hunting dog from a working line, that is the money you'll pay. Even for a pet quality dog from a really good breeder is going to be that $1,000 to $1,500 range. What you are paying for is peace of mind, a healthy dog from a breed where you will KNOW the temperament/size/look/potential health issues before its even born.

In closing, I will say BEWARE of "backyard breeders". Anyone can charge $$$$ for a puppy and say its a good breeding but that is up to the buyer to do due diligence. Get on the AKC website or the national breed club for the breed you are interested in and look up the "breeders of merit" and start contacting one if you are interested and be prepared to wait possibly over a year for a puppy.

And please don't fall for the "doodles"/designer dogs. Those are scams. Not saying that the dogs can't be good dogs, but people pay $thousands for a mutt with no legit pedigree and no health testing thinking its some sort of super dog that will be mega healthy and "hypoallergenic" (they aren't).

If I came off as an ***, I apologize and I know it was a long rant but seriously... paying $1500+ for a high quality purebred puppy from a breeder of merit is a cheap for a friend who will be with you for the next 12-15 years. It is a disservice to buy an animal from a bad breeder and don't get me started on some shelters out there... I'm not saying not to rescue... but do some research, there are a LOT of shady shelters out there and some very very good ones too.

/rant

#thatescalatedquickly
I don't really care to have the "best of the best" dog. So I won't spend top dollar on a pure bred w/ papers, tests, and the whole 9 when all I want is a friendly dog to come home to. I do fancy Corgis and would love to have one. This is why I did not get one though. Everyone has their own preferences. I am no dog genius.

No hate to any dog owners or dogs, I don't see how it escalated quickly though when I personally, could honestly care less. lol.

Still a fan of Corgis.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

How I got Mario ---FOR FREE---

My neighbors that lived in back of me had a Dog named Josie, We have a gate to leave open so Josie can come over to my house and play with the dogs I watch for people during the day when they are working or out and about.
They went over to Sunshine Corgi Rescue to pick up Mario ( About a 300+ mile round trip. He was taken from his original owner due to he was kept in a cage that was way to small for him to move for up to 10 hours a day. The original owners neighbors called the Police, The Police called animal control and they called Sunshine Corgi Rescue who called Clyde and Tena because they were next on the list for a Corgi. Clyde and Tena dropped everything and drove over to Tampa from Daytona, Paid for his shots and Chip and Vet care ( I think Clyde said $400.00)
They brought him home.
Put him in the yard to pee,
He ran through the gate, Into my Dog Door and jumped on my lap. Gave me kisses and spun around and laid down to go to sleep. He was so skinny at that time.
Tena came over to get him, They would let him out and he would just come to my house and would not go home. They tried closing the gate but he would stand by the gate and cry and howl so that did not work.
It got so he started crying and driving them crazy so they just let him stay at my house. He stuck to me like glue and they asked if I wanted him.
I swore after my Schnauzer died after having her for 17 years I would never own another dog. I had to say yes.
We had to get all of the papers and the chip information changed.
He has been with me for about eight years now and a great dog.
The Va had him certified and trained as my service dog about 7 years ago but I have him ruined as a service dog but he still has his credentials. I like him just the way he is and he does keep me active and mentally healthy.
He loves children and people of all ages. He is friendly with other dogs. Of course he will try to herd a new dog but if they don't run he just sniffs and walks away.

Clyde and Tena moved to Colorado not long after the Mario incident. We still keep in touch and they always ask how Mario is doing.
Ronnie
Old 08-25-2015, 03:15 PM   #18
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
My neighbors that lived in back of me had a Dog named Josie, We have a gate to leave open so Josie can come over to my house and play with the dogs I watch for people during the day when they are working or out and about.
They went over to Sunshine Corgi Rescue to pick up Mario ( About a 300+ mile round trip. He was taken from his original owner due to he was kept in a cage that was way to small for him to move for up to 10 hours a day. The original owners neighbors called the Police, The Police called animal control and they called Sunshine Corgi Rescue who called Clyde and Tena because they were next on the list for a Corgi. Clyde and Tena dropped everything and drove over to Tampa from Daytona, Paid for his shots and Chip and Vet care ( I think Clyde said $400.00)
They brought him home.
Put him in the yard to pee,
He ran through the gate, Into my Dog Door and jumped on my lap. Gave me kisses and spun around and laid down to go to sleep. He was so skinny at that time.
Tena came over to get him, They would let him out and he would just come to my house and would not go home. They tried closing the gate but he would stand by the gate and cry and howl so that did not work.
It got so he started crying and driving them crazy so they just let him stay at my house. He stuck to me like glue and they asked if I wanted him.
I swore after my Schnauzer died after having her for 17 years I would never own another dog. I had to say yes.
We had to get all of the papers and the chip information changed.
He has been with me for about eight years now and a great dog.
The Va had him certified and trained as my service dog about 7 years ago but I have him ruined as a service dog but he still has his credentials. I like him just the way he is and he does keep me active and mentally healthy.
He loves children and people of all ages. He is friendly with other dogs. Of course he will try to herd a new dog but if they don't run he just sniffs and walks away.

Clyde and Tena moved to Colorado not long after the Mario incident. We still keep in touch and they always ask how Mario is doing.
Ronnie
Lucky guy!
Old 08-25-2015, 03:35 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
I don't really care to have the "best of the best" dog. So I won't spend top dollar on a pure bred w/ papers, tests, and the whole 9 when all I want is a friendly dog to come home to. I do fancy Corgis and would love to have one. This is why I did not get one though. Everyone has their own preferences. I am no dog genius.

No hate to any dog owners or dogs, I don't see how it escalated quickly though when I personally, could honestly care less. lol.

Still a fan of Corgis.
I think you missed the point lol. You spend the money for a healthy dog that has had a battery of genetic tests on the parents and the parents are proven confirmation champs and the breeders run all the correct exams on the puppies and actually care about the dog vs some backyard breeder that is trying to make money first. Every litter from a good show or field line breeder will have "show" and let quality ones but all get the same treatment and THAT is what you pay the extra for. Not some $300 lab on CL that will have terrible temperment issues and the hips will call apart by the time it's 3.(example).

Cliffs notes. Spend more up front for a high quality puppy or way way more later in vet bills. And the better quality puppy has a way higher life expectancy also.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 08-25-2015, 03:40 PM   #20
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
I think you missed the point lol. You spend the money for a healthy dog that has had a battery of genetic tests on the parents and the parents are proven confirmation champs and the breeders run all the correct exams on the puppies and actually care about the dog vs some backyard breeder that is trying to make money first. Every litter from a good show or field line breeder will have "show" and let quality ones but all get the same treatment and THAT is what you pay the extra for. Not some $300 lab on CL that will have terrible temperment issues and the hips will call apart by the time it's 3.(example).

Cliffs notes. Spend more up front for a high quality puppy or way way more later in vet bills.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I didn't miss the point. There are still good house pets out there in the $100-$300 range. Not everyone cares about having a "Champion" dog. Just a friendly pet/family member to come home to. Any dog can have poor health if mistreated and lacked check-ups. Like I said, I fancy Corgis. Thats about it.

The same thing can practically be said about anything. You shouldn't dismiss something because it is cheaper. Anything has the potential to be great if taken care of and maintained well. "Great" can be subjective and everyone has their own opinions of that. You have obviously shared yours. lol.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:24 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Like I said, not talking about a show puppy for $2k, talking about a pet quality puppy from a well bred/taken care of show or field line for $1k-$1.5K.

If you want a dog that will have hip and heart issues when its 7 or 8 (or earlier), get that $300 dog. If not, spend the time to properly select a well bred pet quality puppy from a breeder of merit.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:34 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
I didn't miss the point. There are still good house pets out there in the $100-$300 range. Not everyone cares about having a "Champion" dog. Just a friendly pet/family member to come home to. Any dog can have poor health if mistreated and lacked check-ups. Like I said, I fancy Corgis. Thats about it.

The same thing can practically be said about anything. You shouldn't dismiss something because it is cheaper. Anything has the potential to be great if taken care of and maintained well. "Great" can be subjective and everyone has their own opinions of that. You have obviously shared yours. lol.
+1 My mom got me a dog when I was a kid from the pound, $50 and was a great mutt until he passed at 15.
My wife got a pure breed Rottweiler with all his papers from a local well know breeder when she was a child and it died of cancer at the age of 4. She was so devastated that she has never gotten another.
That's just how it goes sometimes.😞

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:35 PM   #23
Staff

Regular
Staff

I gotta chime in.....Mud likes pound dogs and we've been looking.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:40 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I can't take all the credit for the good records. Mario won't let me go if I don't write down the information or take him for a walk around the gas stop.
I don't think 30 MPG of 87 octane is bad at 75/80 MPH or 2 to 3 MPH average speed.

Hi DiESeven, I could not believe the stop and go I had to do just North of Ashland. That traffic was just horrible and there was really no blockage causing it. I went straight through Richmond with no problems and other then stopping at rest stops, I had no more problems.

We stayed at the Best Western in Santee S.C. that night and headed home Sunday. From Richmond on South it was good driving all the way.
Mario is looking good Ronnie.
I'm so going to do the trip next year,
I bet Mario is better behaved than my kids on road trips!
Sent from LG G3.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:08 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
+1 My mom got me a dog when I was a kid from the pound, $50 and was a great mutt until he passed at 15.
My wife got a pure breed Rottweiler with all his papers from a local well know breeder when she was a child and it died of cancer at the age of 4. She was so devastated that she has never gotten another.
That's just how it goes sometimes.

Sent from LG G3.
Local well known breeder does not mean breeder of merit. There are lots of "well known" breeders around here that should be shut down because they have zero concern for the quality of dog they are producing. They just want to get paid. I'm not saying it can't happen, but the ppl I know with Rotties that show them experience a consistent 12-14 year life span and that's been documented over decades.

I'm not saying a mutt can't life a happy healthy life at all if that's what it sounds like but its a much bigger roll of the dice.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #26
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

He loves to ride

He will sit in that box and look out the windows and every once in a while give me the wet kisses on my ear. He can't read but sure can recognize a Rest Area Sign and goes crazy for me to stop.
He will go into the back seat to snooze or just snooze in his box on the passenger seat. I do have the passenger air-bag turned off. Some people suggest I restrain him with a seat belt but I'm pretty sure that won't work for Mario.
When I was a kid I always stood up in the front seat of Mom and Dads Dodge. No air bags, No seat belts and I'm still here so I just let Mario do what me and my brother did as kids.
Mario and myself just like to enjoy the ride and not worry about accidents. If you worry about crashing you will be a nervous wreck every time you start your Mustang.

I just have to say my opinion on buying a top breed for $10,000 or a mutt from the pound for almost nothing. All dogs are about the same and if you find one that likes you as much as you like the dog, You will have a friend for life. If the dog does not take to you, It won't matter how much you paid for it because you can never make the dog love you. It has to be a mutual relationship.
Go to a pound and take some dogs for a walk, You will know when the right one for you comes around.
Ronnie

PS: I also have a Chihuahua / Dachshund mix named Oscar that came to me from the same house in back of me but different people. He dug under the fence and would have nothing to do with me for about 4 or 5 months. He would come into the house to get water and give me the FU look if I called his name. Then one day he came in, jumped on my lap with Mario and refused to ever go home. Danial called me and said if I wanted to keep him I could. He did cost me about $400.00 for all the shots and chip but it was fine with me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mario and Oscar on chair 4x5.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	962.4 KB
ID:	190064  
Old 08-25-2015, 06:39 PM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

I think everyone is missing my point lol. I have rescues too, they are great dogs. But if you want a great companion dog AND you want him/her to have the best shot at a long healthy life without any major medical issues, you get a specific breed that is known not to have said issues from a really good breeder of merit. One of my rescues is going to be lucky to reach 9 and she is the sweetest dog in the world. She should live to be 12 but oh well I guess. The Wolfhound... 9 is long lived for them, 7 is average. My Wolfhound's line averages 8 and a half-9 years old. Knew that going in and one reason we went with this breeder, they breed for longevity and health. Control the controllable.

Anyway...

Corgis are generally pretty healthy from a good breeder, they can have back issues when they get older but that's mostly it. Everyone loves a Corgi and then you get the SciFi crowd going nuts for them because of the dog from Cowboy Bebop lol.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:08 PM   #28
Kevin.Cook

Well my wife has a chiweenie that is 4 years old. Never had any medical issues and is as healthy as can be. Got her for $20. So spending a ton of money is not feasible for me when you can get a perfectly good companion for cheap.

Some of what you are saying is true. In a sense that is what you have to buy if you want a show dog, breed and sell, etc. However, if you "Just want a companion dog for 12-15 years, so spend $$$$ on a dog", this is just an opinion. Never have I seen or heard of this before. Everyone I know of has got their dog for under $300 and most have lived full lives (10-15 years).

No disrespect, but you are either a very opinionated person, or someone has got you drinking the well known kool-aid.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:20 PM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

No... all of what I'm saying is true. 3 or 4 years ago I would have been skeptical too but not after owning really good dogs from really good breeders. I'm not saying you can't get a good dog for cheap, but its a crapshoot.

Not enough ppl have been friends with someone who has a really well bred dog or owned one themselves. That's all I'll say. I am definitely not drinking kool aid, its from personal experience owning a lot of animals.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:25 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Not enough ppl have been friends with someone who has a really well bred dog or owned one themselves. That's all I'll say. I am definitely not drinking kool aid, its from personal experience owning a lot of animals.

My main point of going off was when someone was saying $1k-$1500 was too expensive for a good dog. That's cheap for a good pet quality puppy from a breeder of merit who will be there for you for the life of the animal to help in any way they can.
I have 4 Australian Shepherds that came from a competing breeder that my mom competed with. If it makes you feel any better, I understand what you're saying lol.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:32 PM   #31
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
No... all of what I'm saying is true. 3 or 4 years ago I would have been skeptical too but not after owning really good dogs from really good breeders. I'm not saying you can't get a good dog for cheap, but its a crapshoot.

I have owned a few chickens...
Old 08-25-2015, 07:33 PM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
I have 4 Australian Shepherds that came from a competing breeder that my mom competed with. If it makes you feel any better, I understand what you're saying lol.
Yep, a good competing breeder is going to have all the field/coursing certificates and the dogs will be well bred. More than likely also a member of the state or national breed club (probably both) too.

My REALLY big problem with ppl buying $200 or $300 from CL or "breeders" is they are supporting bad breeding practices from ppl who are ONLY in it for the money. A $300 puppy is going to have little or no vet care and you can be damn sure there was no genetic testing or health checks on hips/eyes/heart of the parents. The mothers are very often no better than dogs in a "mill" and I've seen a lot of them dumped at shelters when they can no longer breed. Their teats are permanently swollen from being perpetually nursing or pregnant. Makes my blood boil...

If one is not going to get a puppy from a breeder of merit or just wants to get a rescue, actually go to a county rescue and get a dog there. Not a for-profit shelter that imports dogs from overseas/out of state or some rescue with absolutely ridiculous requirements.

That's another issue, there is a growing problem with a LOT of rescues legit running out of dogs and getting them from wherever possible. Google about it if you don't believe me. There is no longer a pet overpopulation problem, most of the dogs in shelters are from bad owners who give them up or from backyard breeders who just dump puppies they can't sell etc... I go to my local shelter to volunteer sometimes and it is 95% pit bulls/pit mixes and any dog that is not a pit bull and has a good temperment can't get adopted fast enough.

edit: and no I'm not bashing pits but a lot of places you can't own them due to breed restrictions and there are so many of them... they're the most overbred by the backyard crowd and dumped dogs around here by far.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:58 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Omg has this thread gone from fun to stupid........
Nothing like a good car thread that ends up arguing about dogs. Scotty please just give up, everyone has there own opinion.
Glad I'm a cat guy, and before you ask, no they are not pure lol, they are both rescues that would have ended badly for them if we didn't take them in.

Sent from LG G3.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #34
Staff
Regular
Staff

Everyone has their own opinion, but that doesn't mean everyone is right.

I like the MPG and I like the Corgi. And I'm very passionate about animals so sue me lol.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:04 PM   #35
Kevin.Cook

I also want to say, i rescued a baby rooster a few years ago I found near a side of a road. I took him home and eventually he just "house broke" himself. He would go to the door and crow when he needed to be let out (if you know what I mean). If I left the room he would make noises until he found me again or I came back. (When I say crow, since he was young and hadn't developed a decent crow, it was like a half crow/half dying sound. lol)

When I would wake up in the middle of the night and go to the kitchen or w/e, he would follow me. When I would cook, he would jump up and stand next to the stove and wait for me to give him a taste.

When i would watch tv, he would come sit on my lap.

I am in no way making this up. He was he best pet I have ever had. I will never know how or why he became the way he did. He did eventually pass away due to a bad heart but I already expected this and enjoyed every day I could get with him and made sure he had the time of his life. He was only a few months old. Miss the little guy :'(

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang