Anyone installed braided clutch line before? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-26-2015, 08:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Anyone installed braided clutch line before?

Any tricks, or anything I need to be aware of?
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2015, 08:28 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

Following. I am interested as well.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Brake fluid is terrible for paint, accidentally spilled a little on and wiped it off not 5 seconds later and some paint rubbed off with it, also don't loose the little metal retaining clips when you pop them off

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2015, 11:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The metal clip on the end that attaches near the fire wall is easy to loose be very careful, the other metal clip that attaches to the tranny will not come all the way out so you don't have to worry about loosing that one. The install is very simple. Our cars have a self bleeding system, once the new hose is in, pump the hose 100+ times, eventually you will get full pressure back and your good to go.

Marc
Marc3.71994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:22 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Also, firmly press the line into the transmission and be aware of a slight "click." I felt mine wasnt in all the way so i kept pushing and pushing and pushing and ... cracked the plastic fitting into the trans -_- had to take it to the dealership to get replaced. Just get it in there firm is all it takes. Also, a decent, long set of needle nose pliers makes getting the fitting off the trans side a lot easier.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:32 AM   #6
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
besides stressing DO NOT DROP CLIP!

I had to re-bleed mine the next day.....100-200 pedal push

I'll suggest if you are a cautious type to attach a piece of string on the clip before removal (not that I did) so if you drop it you won't have to look for 5 minutes to find it (and be glad you did find it)
Old 08-27-2015, 12:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you all for these invaluable suggestions!

I'll pay special attention to:
1) not losing the clips,
2) listening to the click sound and not use too much force to break the adapter,
3) cleaning up the brake fluid right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc3.71994 View Post
The metal clip on the end that attaches near the fire wall is easy to loose be very careful, the other metal clip that attaches to the tranny will not come all the way out so you don't have to worry about loosing that one. The install is very simple. Our cars have a self bleeding system, once the new hose is in, pump the hose 100+ times, eventually you will get full pressure back and your good to go.

Marc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_stang View Post
Brake fluid is terrible for paint, accidentally spilled a little on and wiped it off not 5 seconds later and some paint rubbed off with it, also don't loose the little metal retaining clips when you pop them off

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Also, firmly press the line into the transmission and be aware of a slight "click." I felt mine wasnt in all the way so i kept pushing and pushing and pushing and ... cracked the plastic fitting into the trans -_- had to take it to the dealership to get replaced. Just get it in there firm is all it takes. Also, a decent, long set of needle nose pliers makes getting the fitting off the trans side a lot easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
besides stressing DO NOT DROP CLIP!

I had to re-bleed mine the next day.....100-200 pedal push

I'll suggest if you are a cautious type to attach a piece of string on the clip before removal (not that I did) so if you drop it you won't have to look for 5 minutes to find it (and be glad you did find it)
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:58 PM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

gotta mention I did this and I liked the theory of it I didn't notice any difference. For the $ and ease I'm glad I did it but this was one of the few MT "improvements" I didn't notice.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:30 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I just finished installing mine. It was super easy. I first pulled out the clip near the transmission from underneath the car, then the one at the other end (located close to the brake booster). In the next step, I pulled the stock clutch line from above. Installation was the reverse. It only took me 15 minutes. I had to pump my clutch with hand for 150 times, then with foot for another 60 times.

I have to disagree with Strange_Mud on this mod. My clutch now feels much crisper even when the car is cold.

Many thanks again for the great suggestions that helped make my installation drama free.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
The self bleeding process of pumping the clutch pedal 200+ times is a pita. The first 80 I had to do by hand because the pedal wouldn't retract. Then it started to achieve some stiffness to it and I kept pumping and pumping what felt like three days..

I thought I messed something up at first because it too so long for the firmness to come back. But just keep pumping. It will come back eventually. Took me longer to bleed the system than to install the actual part lol

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:42 PM   #11
Staff

Regular
Staff

I admit to being an Oaf....

you may have to re bleed it the next day, if you gotta go to work/school/jail Monday you may want to leave a bit early just to check it. It took mine nowhere near as much bleeding the 2nd day.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll give it more pumps on Sunday.

With this clutch line, a new shifter bracket and Whiteline insert, the stock shifter and MT-82 feels so much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I admit to being an Oaf....

you may have to re bleed it the next day, if you gotta go to work/school/jail Monday you may want to leave a bit early just to check it. It took mine nowhere near as much bleeding the 2nd day.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Change out the trans fluid and it will feel even better!

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Old 09-05-2015, 02:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

What fluid are you running?

I put BG Synchroshift II from Mercedes Benz in. It seems to be an improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
Change out the trans fluid and it will feel even better!
Old 09-05-2015, 02:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4spd View Post
What fluid are you running?

I put BG Synchroshift II from Mercedes Benz in. It seems to be an improvement.
I went with RP Synchromax. I did all the supporting mods to clean up the shifting on the MT82 and when I changed the crappy stock fluid out, it kind of brought everything together and my high rpm 1-2 shifts are better than ever.

Old 09-05-2015, 03:33 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
I went with RP Synchromax. I did all the supporting mods to clean up the shifting on the MT82 and when I changed the crappy stock fluid out, it kind of brought everything together and my high rpm 1-2 shifts are better than ever.
This is what I've done, RP syncromax along with a Barton shifter bracket and have had 0 issues shifting at any Rpm.
Mt 82 has been great since the fluid and bracket change over 2 years ago.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang