Goodyear f1 tires or Michelin as3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-27-2015, 10:02 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Goodyear f1 tires or Michelin as3

Decisions, decisions, It's that time that I have to change my tires since they are all cupped and it's bugging the he'll out of me.. I need to decide which tires are better and would last long, I don't track, I drive conservatively, and some spirited runs in the weekend.

I'm running 275/40 18s in the rear and I'm looking to go up one higher to 285/40 18 do you think it's worth the extra dollars or should I stay the same 275s..

Thanks guys just need your opinions on this.. I'm all set with front tires just the rear.

MPT tune, Axle exchange Aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter, roush louvers, and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2015, 10:04 AM   #2
Kevin.Cook

Just hit up the local flea market and pick up some used tires for $20. XD

But on a real note, I say the Goodyears are ok unless you will be doing some racing and if the climate changes alot in your area. I dont have to worry about that in TX so they do fine for me as a daily driver.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Just hit up the local flea market and pick up some used tires for $20. XD

But on a real note, I say the Goodyears are ok unless you will be doing some racing and if the climate changes alot in your area. I dont have to worry about that in TX so they do fine for me as a daily driver.
I wish there is like that over here that I could get for 20.. Lol.

I live in mass so we have some freezing weather here but I don't drive her in the winter. So you think Goodyear f1 are ok? Do they last long? How's the road noise?

MPT tune, Axle exchange Aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter, roush louvers, and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #4
Kevin.Cook

I didn't have any road noise until I added rear lower control arms. Might be worse for someone with more aftermarket suspension stuff. I have had them for like 14,000 miles. They have been raced on, and the tread is about a 7 on each tire still. Idk if that is good but they still have plenty of tread.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I didn't have any road noise until I added rear lower control arms. Might be worse for someone with more aftermarket suspension stuff. I have had them for like 14,000 miles. They have been raced on, and the tread is about a 7 on each tire still. Idk if that is good but they still have plenty of tread.
ok good to know thanks man appreciate it.. yeah 14,000 miles with track use on top of it, thats pretty good. I have lower control arm so im hoping the noise is not there, i have no noise right now so i might be good there im hoping. What size rear tires are you running?
Old 08-27-2015, 10:21 AM   #6
Kevin.Cook

Same size all around. 255/40/19s on 19x8.5s.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Same size all around. 255/40/19s on 19x8.5s.
oh okay i wish i dont have the staggered set up.. i have 255/45 18s in the front and 275/40 18 in the rear, for 18x9 and 18x10... and im looking for 285's/40 in the rear.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #8
Kevin.Cook

I like being able to rotate my tires. lol
Old 08-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I like being able to rotate my tires. lol
yeah it sucks when you cant do anything with your tires, youll just have to watch it go bald... lol..
Old 08-27-2015, 10:28 AM   #10
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
yeah it sucks when you cant do anything with your tires, youll just have to watch it go bald... lol..
Nothing wrong with having your own custom pair of "slicks". LMAO!
Old 08-27-2015, 10:30 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nothing wrong with having your own custom pair of "slicks". LMAO!
hahaha good one... I wanna keep this old tires for burnouts... or if someone needs one let me know im selling them for cheap lol....
Old 08-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #12

In mass. Have them and a winter set of 18s

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Island Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Man View Post
In mass. Have them and a winter set of 18s

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Which one you have?

Old 08-27-2015, 11:19 AM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
What choice ??????

MICHELINS

I suggest not going to a larger tire because of more tire weight. More rubber to turn. Other then looks, They are not much of an advantage anyway.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:41 AM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I've got F1's and they came off a 2013 GT500 with about 5000 miles. I've put another 4000 miles of highway and town driving and they still have about 50% left. I just completed a spirited 654 miles of all highway and all in warm weather over 70 degrees...........they performed great! On the other hand they are terrible in wet or cold weather. I will also be taking them to the SSC open road race next month and we will see how they do. They are a soft compound and pick up any gravel on the road..............I have the staggered wheels off the GT500 also, 265x40x19's in front and 285x35x20's in the rear.......as for noise they are no better than the Pirreli's I took off my car....255x40x19's...TrakPak Mustang.
I have my suspension setup at the max specs Ford calls out for Caster and Camber and have seen no wear issues in the 4000 miles.
I will be buying Michelins as I have a few friends running them and they seem to be a better all around tire....we will see.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:47 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
MICHELINS

I suggest not going to a larger tire because of more tire weight. More rubber to turn. Other then looks, They are not much of an advantage anyway.

Ronnie
Thanks Ronnie, I would probably stick with 275 then and they have more tires to choose from..

Old 08-27-2015, 11:55 AM   #17
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Despite AM not carrying either I would suggest shying away from the F1's - I went through countless tires with them and most if not all had walnut to golf ball sized bubbles form. While this was years ago they may have changed their manufacturing process and this could be alleviated they were still very, very noisy on road! Being said I don't think that you would hear them much with your exhaust. They hugged well and got the job done but the "Goiters" just set me over the edge.

For what it's worth you know I'm a huge fan boy for Nitto Tires!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:07 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

I've talked to a few people who run F1's and mine have a manufactured date of 2013 and are fine with almost 9000 miles. Truthfully I have never heard any horror stories of sides blowing out or separating.
As I said they are just as noisy and in some cases even worse than my Pirelli's. On smooth payment like in Nevada they are quite.......on rough asphalt and concrete they are loud........even with loud exhaust. They do have a serious grip when corner carving at speed though!
Old 08-27-2015, 12:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Despite AM not carrying either I would suggest shying away from the F1's - I went through countless tires with them and most if not all had walnut to golf ball sized bubbles form. While this was years ago they may have changed their manufacturing process and this could be alleviated they were still very, very noisy on road! Being said I don't think that you would hear them much with your exhaust. They hugged well and got the job done but the "Goiters" just set me over the edge.

For what it's worth you know I'm a huge fan boy for Nitto Tires!

Alex
I value your opinion and the rest of the guys here in this forum, i will stay away from the F1'S.. I would love to get the nitto but they are just too expensive for me right now. Since i did some upgrade lately and this is the last in the list.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I've talked to a few people who run F1's and mine have a manufactured date of 2013 and are fine with almost 9000 miles. Truthfully I have never heard any horror stories of sides blowing out or separating.
As I said they are just as noisy and in some cases even worse than my Pirelli's. On smooth payment like in Nevada they are quite.......on rough asphalt and concrete they are loud........even with loud exhaust. They do have a serious grip when corner carving at speed though!
I would like to stay away from road noise since this is the reason why im changing my tires plus its cupped too.. I have loud exhaust and still i can hear it, or maybe i know its there so i cant help myself hearing it.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:20 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I saw online for Dunlop Super maxx tires do you guys heared about them? any experience.. they are right on my price range..
Old 08-27-2015, 12:30 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

I bought a set of these for a project I was working on, 1996 Sonoma w/350SBC. They were great in the wet although not much of a performance tire and were quite. I have a friend that has 2009 Infinite G37x and they were factory...he now has 58k miles and they still have tread although a little noisy now.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:35 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I bought a set of these for a project I was working on, 1996 Sonoma w/350SBC. They were great in the wet although not much of a performance tire and were quite. I have a friend that has 2009 Infinite G37x and they were factory...he now has 58k miles and they still have tread although a little noisy now.
Oh woww thanks man, you said they were quite? no road noise? 58k miles is a win win to me.. I dont care about performance since i dont drag this car, just occasional spirited driving...
Old 08-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Which f1 tire are you looking at? They have the asymmetric and supercar ones.

I went from the supercar to the as3. F1 supercar didn't last that long. Maybe 15000 miles? Not sure really but I like the as3s a lot. Quiet and so far they don't seem to wear much

2011 3.7 mustang
Eric e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:06 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Good to know that's what iv been reading about the f1.. I was looking at the supercar one. I'm going with as3 already bought it. Do you like them? Compared to f1s?

Old 08-27-2015, 08:09 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
Good to know that's what iv been reading about the f1.. I was looking at the supercar one. I'm going with as3 already bought it. Do you like them? Compared to f1s?

The f1 were sticky on days with good weather but when it rained or got cold, I could feel them spin and I would turn carefully. The as3 handle way better in the rain. Not as sticky on a hot day but still good enough for me

2011 3.7 mustang
Eric e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:12 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric e View Post
The f1 were sticky on days with good weather but when it rained or got cold, I could feel them spin and I would turn carefully. The as3 handle way better in the rain. Not as sticky on a hot day but still good enough for me

2011 3.7 mustang
Thanks man, I went with Michelin as3 can't wait to try this thing out.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:59 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I tried a set of F1 and was not impressed. They are only good in a narrow spectrum of conditions/driving. Will not buy these again, and do not recommend you try for your one size fits all tire.

I am running on AS3 now. Not spectacular, but a honest tire with more flexibility regarding their response vs the way you use them. Better than F1 overall, but not spectacular. I will continue trials on the next shift.
*previous 1990 Taurus SHO 3L Yamaha Shogun
*previous : life was boring !
UP North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:08 PM   #29
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey shunc01

Very good choice.
I'm sure your going to be pleased with Michelin's.
They are what my Mustang will get if these Pirelli's will ever wear out.
I personally think that Michelin makes the best all around tires that work perfect in the rain or a hot Florida sunny day.
A wise decision on your part to go with them.
Ronnie
Old 08-28-2015, 06:51 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks everyone for your input .. I appreciate it..

Sent from my LGLK430 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-28-2015, 07:13 AM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
AS3s are way overpriced and if you are looking for a max effort summer tire, there are way better tires out there for cheaper. BFG 275/40/18s Comp 2s are $180 just as an example and Mickey Thompson Street Comps are not too much more. Then there are always the Nittos.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:28 AM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You can never go wrong with a Michelin tire

You get what you pay for. Now, This is "MY" personal opinion weather it be right or wrong but Michelin is the very best all around street tire your going to find.
I also always used them on my old track days and never ever had a failure at consistent high speeds. They are great in the rain and run silent at any speed.
I think we are talking street tires and not drag racing soft rubber sticky tires that wear out in a thousand miles.
I really don't care much for France but I do like Michelin tires.
Ronnie
Old 08-28-2015, 10:34 AM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

I will second the part about Michelin being a great all around tire and although a little over priced in my book...........a good tire though.
If you were to put the Michelin on a road course along with the Goodyear F1 Supercar............the Goodyear comes out on top.......if you don't track the car then Michelin is a great tire. Neither tire makes a good drag racing tire.........they'll both go up in smoke.
As for France......Paris and the French Rivera are two of my most favorite places in the world.................other than the West Coast of the US..........
If you have ever been in Paris.........you either hate it or love it!............IMHO
Old 08-28-2015, 11:08 AM   #34
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I have been all over France

I love the working class people, I hate their Government.
Back on track.
I, as well as many other people used Michelin tires when tracking. """NOT RACING""" but drive to the track and run your car and drive home with still having tread on the tires.
Of course they did not stick as good as a Nitto or Goodyear F1. But the F1's as well as some other super high performance tires are worn smooth after a good track event.
Fine if you can afford it, but as far as a good (GREAT) performing street tire that may cost a little more, A Michelin is very hard to beat.
The Michelin's are just a very good all around street tire that wears nice and is not so noisy you have to turn your radio up to hear it.

One thing I do have to say is that in America you can not buy a tire that is not safe in normal driving if you keep proper air pressure. The Firestone failures did a good thing to cause that no unsafe tires are sold in America. As long as they are inflated correctly and do not exceed the MPH or weight rating, You will have no problems with anything you put on.
The one that quote 50 or 60 thousand mile wear are not good at fast cornering and are suited for slow driving people only.
I'm sure you would not want a set of them on your Mustang.
Ronnie
Old 08-28-2015, 02:23 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I will second the part about Michelin being a great all around tire and although a little over priced in my book...........a good tire though.
If you were to put the Michelin on a road course along with the Goodyear F1 Supercar............the Goodyear comes out on top.......if you don't track the car then Michelin is a great tire. Neither tire makes a good drag racing tire.........they'll both go up in smoke.
As for France......Paris and the French Rivera are two of my most favorite places in the world.................other than the West Coast of the US..........
If you have ever been in Paris.........you either hate it or love it!............IMHO
I was stationed in Orleans, France for 32.5 months. 60 miles of Paris. and never went to any of the Le Mans races.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang