HOW TO: Changing Transmission Fluid on MT82 Manual Transmission - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-30-2015, 05:06 PM   #1
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Sticky for Common/popular Mustang mods

Well Done! Great write up with pics.

I'll add my hints: If you are too cheap to buy a pump and have a long piece of approx fuel line (or small tubing) you can snake it through the engine compartment to the fill port and using a small funnel fill it from the top. Whatever you do make sure you have a way to fill it B4 draining or you'll be forced to improvise using fuel line and a funnel. I also suggest saving the OEM fluid in a clean container if you are paranoid of being denied wtty service IF your transmission explodes and your dealer is nasty.
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2015, 07:03 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
The jokester in me wanted to suggest the following.
1. Remove MT-82
2. Discard
3. Install better transmission.
4. Fill with fluid of your choice.

;P

Kidding aside, great write up.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:52 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Outstanding bro. I have a new job for next weekend!
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
The jokester in me wanted to suggest the following.
1. Remove MT-82
2. Discard
3. Install better transmission.
4. Fill with fluid of your choice.

;P

Kidding aside, great write up.
Too bad it doesn't cost the same as 3 quarts of fluid, otherwise I'd change it out every other week

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:03 AM   #5
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Is it my browser or ... What happened to your original post here brother?
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Old 09-05-2015, 07:04 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Not your browser. Original post is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

HOW TO: Changing Transmission Fluid on MT82 Manual Transmission

The original posting has been moved into the Wrenching section under DIY and Technical posted into the "Stickys for Common/popular Mustang Mods"

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Old 09-05-2015, 01:23 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Nice of them to warn us. LOL.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Old 09-05-2015, 01:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nice of them to warn us. LOL.

Lol I agree. I was notified via PM but they should post a link to the moved thread... Hint hint!

Old 09-05-2015, 09:59 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Changed my fluid out to Royal Purple this am. Didn't need to worry about siphoning off .3 quarts here as much as I spilled!
Old 09-05-2015, 10:01 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton CIT View Post
Changed my fluid out to Royal Purple this am. Didn't need to worry about siphoning off .3 quarts here as much as I spilled!

Hahah. If you got it on your driveway, brake cleaner takes it right off

Old 09-06-2015, 11:31 AM   #12
Staff

Regular
Staff

oops.....This is a great how to so I moved it into the keeper pile.

I actually thought I put a link in, my bad.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:34 AM   #13
Kevin.Cook

uhh....what happened to the How To? Lol
Old 10-07-2015, 10:47 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
uhh....what happened to the How To? Lol
Read Mud's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post

oops.....This is a great how to so I moved it into the keeper pile.

I actually thought I put a link in, my bad.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #15
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Read Mud's post.
Thanks. I didn't even know we had that. I breezed over the beginning of the thread this morning and didn't see it. My apologies.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I've done several swaps from the bottom with a fluid transfer pump ... which sucks. I'm going to be changing the trans oil in our v6 this weekend and want to try something someone mentioned (forget who), which is to basically have a hose come down through the shifter assembly inside the car. Might make life a little easier.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #17
Staff

Regular
Staff

when I did mine it was a tube running from the engine bay a 4' length of fuel line approx (3/8 or 5/16 id) it fit nicely inside a funnel. the hose then went into the fill port. it filled slow but it wasn't too bad.

hint to get the .7 qts pour out 10 oz and use the remaining left in the qt.

and I edited my post to hopefully make Mean14's how to easier to find.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang