Corrosion on Battery Terminal - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-30-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Corrosion on Battery Terminal

I have substantial corrosion. Is this common on our cars. FWIW, my '13 has 43,000 miles on it. I know how to clean corrosion but have not had a problem on recent cars. It happened on most of my old cars. What causes it?
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2015, 08:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Could be a leak around the post. Mine did it around the negative post. Mine is a '12 and I haven't even hit 40k miles yet.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-30-2015, 08:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Tiger Urine.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2015, 08:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

FWIW - mine is the positive post.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Clean it up and put some dielectric grease on the terminals and you shouldn't have anymore issues

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:49 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
If you don't have any dielectric grease Vaseline will work.
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:00 AM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I will tell others that this seems to happen a good bit with these cars...check it and treat it early is the key. As mentioned just clean it with a wire brush (one of those Batt Post Brushes is worth owning) treat it with backing soda to neutralize the acid then protect it from further corrosion with either one of those kits with the felt washers/spray or cover it with with grease as already mentioned. If you let it go you'll have to replace/splice the wire harness.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You should replace your battery......it shouldn't be boiling any acid around the posts.....if you screw around with this you will get acid damage on the battery tray and surrounding areas.
GRREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:52 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRREEN View Post
You should replace your battery......it shouldn't be boiling any acid around the posts.....if you screw around with this you will get acid damage on the battery tray and surrounding areas.
Not necessarily the culprit and the fix.
Could be overcharging if excessive amounts of corrosion.
Follow recommendations to clean(baking soda and water paste) and coat(grease or spray that sold for it), first.
If overcharging was causing it, the corrosion will return soon.
If not you should be good for a while, then if need be, repeat clean/coat process every 6 months or so.
Never jump to conclusions without further testing.
Good luck!
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbamafan View Post
I have substantial corrosion. Is this common on our cars. FWIW, my '13 has 43,000 miles on it. I know how to clean corrosion but have not had a problem on recent cars. It happened on most of my old cars. What causes it?

either a battery going bad/leak or car is overcharging
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:37 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Tiger Urine.
That's only in Charlie Sheen's cars.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:17 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
sbbamafan is an Alabama fan, where I am a LSU Tiger Fan. (College Football).
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Back in August when I posted this, I removed the terminal and cleaned the daylights out of the post and the terminal with a wire brush and baking soda. I then rinsed all surfaces and dried them. I then sprayed all parts with battery terminal protector. Now it is worse than ever. I guess I'll go to the dealer. FWIW, I googled this and it seems to be a somewhat common issue. I'll post a picture shortly.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Also - when I took the picture I realized I made a mistake. It is not the positive cable as I stated - it is the negative. You can even see the red protector spray in the photo. I pulled the red cap aside so you can see the positive is still 'factory fresh'.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:02 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Dang. Mine does it too and I can't seem to get rid of it. Let me know what you do.

2012 Kona Blue MCA 3.7
Ford Racing Axelbacks
Airaid CAI
TrevorMCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:10 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Also - when I took the picture I realized I made a mistake. It is not the positive cable as I stated - it is the negative. You can even see the red protector spray in the photo. I pulled the red cap aside so you can see the positive is still 'factory fresh'.
Wow...I've never seen one that looked like that.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1200614.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	195971
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Diehard -

Am I seeing double or is the bottom picture yours?
Old 01-19-2016, 10:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I have yet to have this issue

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:25 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
That looks pretty bad. Where you live could be increasing the problem,ie salt air/humidity, but that seems excessive, especially since you stated you cleaned and treated it in August. Wouldn't hurt to have battery and charging system checked out.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:55 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Diehard -

Am I seeing double or is the bottom picture yours?
yes...for some reason your pic was not being displayed and only showed as a link to photobucket. So I made a copy so it could be readily seen. Maybe it was just the way I saw it.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:57 AM   #21
Staff

Regular
Staff

I would check voltage both off and while charging. I wonder if it's over charging. You are correct it's not a rare occurrence...if charging voltage is normal (13.8-14.2) I would replace the battery because it's simpler than replacing/repairing the harness.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:11 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Strangemud -

Charging voltage is constant 14.1 or 14.2 the entire time the car is running - according to the digital guage on the dash. Never higher than 14.2 - never lower than 14.1.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:19 AM   #23
Staff

Regular
Staff

I would replace the battery....see if your dealer will give you some type of wtty on it but to see if it is a $ break check it out $'s online before you go.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:58 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I had similar corrosion issues on my 2013 V6 too. I cleaned and treated it and it came back in a month. It was on positive terminal though.
It was worse this time. I tried to clean it but terminal connector snapped. I made a temp fix and took it to the dealer. They replaced the battery and the harness under warranty. I make sure to keep a tab on it now, just to make sure it doesn't come back again. It been close to 8 months after dealership replaced the parts and it still good.
AirAidCIA | BAMA 87P Tune | BoralAtak AB| BMRAdj UCA | BMR UCA Mnt | BMRAdj PHB | GCCoilOvers | DSS 1 Piece AL Driveshaft | BMRLCA | BMR LCA Reloc Brackets | BARTONShifter | GT CS Spoiler| RedLine Hood struts | MMD Axim 20X8.5 Audio: Dynamatted Rear & Doors | AudioControl LC8i | Speakers: Infinity 682.9cf | RockFord Prime R250X4 Amp | Rockford Prime 500.1 Mono AMP | Kicker Twin10" L5 Solo Barics in a Ported BOX |P.S MORE TO COMEEEEE!!!!
Firstang001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I stopped by the dealer this morning. They wanted $100 to diagnose the problem and said that if it is the battery there is no warranty. That said, I decided I am better off to clean the cable and spend $100 on a battery and see if that fixes it.

It just seems silly to replace a battery that is working fine. Am I crazy?
Old 01-21-2016, 01:54 PM   #26
Staff

Regular
Staff

I think you have a bad cell in the battery.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:41 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I found the problem.

It really bugs me how many people with Mustangs, F150's and Fusions I have seen on the internet. Even the dealer told me they replace 'a bunch' of batteries from these cars but they do nothing about it. Obviously these batteries are a weak link. I think (and I am certainly no expert) that they simply locate the post too close to the edge.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

Sorry I made that picture so BIG....
Old 01-22-2016, 08:21 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Are you going to take these pictures or battery back to your dealer and show him? I'd be curious to hear what they say now. Might get you a new battery!
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:23 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
Are you going to take these pictures or battery back to your dealer and show him? I'd be curious to hear what they say now. Might get you a new battery!
Just be sure you put the old battery upside down on the service manager's desk to make your point! j/k

I'm also curious to see if the dealer might comp the cost of a battery based on this--clearly a defect and not user abuse. If they're nice (yes, I'm naive), perhaps they'll give you a new clamp too?
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Old 01-22-2016, 08:42 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not taking it back to the dealer as it is at 49,500 miles. I would not mind so much if the battery just crapped out at this point - but to know that it was in the process of doing damage resulting from a defect - it just ticks me off. I just spent the last hour and a half cleaning and grinding (carefully) my harness connection so I will be sure there will not be any festering corrosion going forward. We all know that Ford knows of this problem for the sheer number of batteries and harnesses they are replacing. I wonder if they will EVER do anything about it going forward.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:10 AM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I wonder if they will EVER do anything about it going forward.
Hopefully they do more than they typically do with the aluminum hood corrosion / paint bubbling problem.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang