Auto transmission issues normal? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-30-2015, 08:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Auto transmission issues normal?

Okay, my Mustang has done this enough times to plant a seed in my head that I either have a bad tranny or the fluid is low or something.

What happens is I will punch it from a dead stop and with WOT when shifting between 2nd and 3rd it will "hang" there for a second, almost like the entire car is pausing, then it will finally shift HARD into the next gear.

Well today I had the windows down when this happened and I heard a very loud "clank" come from under the car when this happened.

So my question is, is this behavior considered "normal" on these funky autos or is my transmission slipping or worse?

Also, when I drive my Stang for the first time in the day, it's transmission performs quirky until it's temp gets in the green. Now I'm used to this from a car in the winter, but when the temp is 80 outside I've never experienced this before. If I drive like a grandma it shifts fine, but if I get on the road and hammer it right out of the gate the shifts are delayed/slow and feel odd.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2015, 10:21 PM   #2

Region: Washington
yeah I am having a similar problem. When im in second going to third around 2000 rpm it will dip down in power for a second, then shift normally after that. it is only in second gear it does that.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha303 View Post
yeah I am having a similar problem. When im in second going to third around 2000 rpm it will dip down in power for a second, then shift normally after that. it is only in second gear it does that.
That sucks. Mine did the funky stuff at around 5000 rpms. Ive read that the stupid TCU does weird stuff like this on our rides, but the very loud clank I heard when it did it put the worry bug in my head.

I just bought a SCT tuner, will get it Tues and report back. But this leads to a new worry... If its not the ford tune and its an physical tranny issue will the SCT tuner void my warranty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2015, 12:01 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Was clank coming from the front or the rear? Could be backlash in the drivetrain (U-joints, shaft, ring+pinion).
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:08 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
Was clank coming from the front or the rear? Could be backlash in the drivetrain (U-joints, shaft, ring+pinion).
It sounded like it was coming from the general area of the transmission.

---------- Post added at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

A very distinct metal on metal clank.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:21 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I would tune if if it isnt already, or if it is you should change the tune
Bama 93 Performance Tune
5pointYoBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:18 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Got the SCT coming Tuesday. O'm going to put a good hour into trying to recreate the issue tomorrow. Whatever it was, it did not feel "normal".
Old 08-31-2015, 09:04 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
Okay, my Mustang has done this enough times to plant a seed in my head that I either have a bad tranny or the fluid is low or something.

What happens is I will punch it from a dead stop and with WOT when shifting between 2nd and 3rd it will "hang" there for a second, almost like the entire car is pausing, then it will finally shift HARD into the next gear.

Well today I had the windows down when this happened and I heard a very loud "clank" come from under the car when this happened.

So my question is, is this behavior considered "normal" on these funky autos or is my transmission slipping or worse?

Also, when I drive my Stang for the first time in the day, it's transmission performs quirky until it's temp gets in the green. Now I'm used to this from a car in the winter, but when the temp is 80 outside I've never experienced this before. If I drive like a grandma it shifts fine, but if I get on the road and hammer it right out of the gate the shifts are delayed/slow and feel odd.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
Why not go back to dealer with the problems?
At least to establish a record of a problem before even thinking about adding a tune.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:36 AM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
^+1 Absolutely, this should be your first move.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:54 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Dealer is 90 mins away and with my luck I wouldnt be able to get it to happen again. I beat on her this morning and she shifted fine. With no codes they will think Im a nutjob. Lol

It's only done this 3 or 4 times in the 4,000 miles I have on her. I may hold off on the tune for a couple weeks but from the stuff I researched last night it seems like most think it's the crappy Ford tune and say a new tune will correct it all.

Also I'm going to check the tranny fluid to make sure its not low, just to be safe and eliminate that possibility.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dealer is 90 mins away and with my luck I wouldnt be able to get it to happen again. I beat on her this morning and she shifted fine. With no codes they will think Im a nutjob. Lol

It's only done this 3 or 4 times in the 4,000 miles I have on her. I may hold off on the tune for a couple weeks but from the stuff I researched last night it seems like most think it's the crappy Ford tune and say a new tune will correct it all.

Also I'm going to check the tranny fluid to make sure its not low, just to be safe and eliminate that possibility.
Sounds like a good approach.
I occasionally might get a weird shift or strange sound but since I can't even remember when it happened last, I don't give it a second thought.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Sounds like a good approach.
I occasionally might get a weird shift or strange sound but since I can't even remember when it happened last, I don't it a second thought.
Yeah I read a ton of posts saying similar to what you just did. My hunch is it is that horrible adaptive learning feature. Almost like it causes that car to "overthink" at times when shifting.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:03 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Yeah I read a ton of posts saying similar to what you just did. My hunch is it is that horrible adaptive learning feature. Almost like it causes that car to "overthink" at times when shifting.
If that's what the OP suspects, pulling the fuse to reset the adaptive shift memory might be worth a try. Of course I forget which fuse number it was... LOL
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:09 PM   #14
Kevin.Cook

47 I think..
Old 08-31-2015, 01:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
If that's what the OP suspects, pulling the fuse to reset the adaptive shift memory might be worth a try. Of course I forget which fuse number it was... LOL
I have done that, which actually might be part of the problem. I read a few posts last night that said they had similar funky shifting issues within the first 2,000 miles and that after they let the car "learn" their driving style it eventually shifted fine.

I pulled 47 about 700 miles ago. I wonder if right now my Stang is like a woman in a shoe store... not sure to go conservative or sexy! and is having a mental breakdown! lol
Old 08-31-2015, 01:18 PM   #16
Kevin.Cook

When I flashed an 87 tune a month ago, the car drove like it did not know what to do. Because it was still figuring out the trims and such. After about 1000 miles or so, it was a smooth as butter. Now that I flashed an updated tune since I got rid of the BBK TB, it is doing it again. Kinda of jerks a bit during aggressive acceleration.

So I could see this being a possibility. This will probably be the last time I flash a tune on it as I have no intentions of modding the 2014 3.7 any more.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:31 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
When I flashed an 87 tune a month ago, the car drove like it did not know what to do. Because it was still figuring out the trims and such. After about 1000 miles or so, it was a smooth as butter. Now that I flashed an updated tune since I got rid of the BBK TB, it is doing it again. Kinda of jerks a bit during aggressive acceleration.

So I could see this being a possibility. This will probably be the last time I flash a tune on it as I have no intentions of modding the 2014 3.7 any more.
Thanks Kev, this really helps! The MPT boys said the same thing about their tunes, that after a 1,000 miles or so is when everything adjusts and settles to the tune and it will ride how the tune was intended, so this is starting to make sense.

Another thing is when I heard the clank, I did not feel anything drastic. In other words, it was a hungup delayed shift they felt like a mini version of a neutral drop, I assume maybe because it hung up at over 5,000 RPM and I was still WOT?

I am leaning towards flashing the new tune and giving her at least 1500 miles before I get paranoid.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:48 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Had same issue. Dealer replaced relays in tranny. There is a TSB 11-11-11 out on it. JUST TELL THE DEALER THAT YOUR CAR FLARES BETWEEN SHIFTS INTERMITTENTLY. (FLARE IS HESITATING AND FEELS LIKE SLIPPING BETWEEN GEARS) Sorry for the caps

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:52 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Also for immediate relief try pulling fuse #47 (under hood pass side fuse box)
for about 10 minutes replace it and then drive like a granny for about 1/2 hour. Then drive it around like you normally would.. Please get back on line here and tell us if this fixes it or not.

Do yourself a favor and don't tune this car until you have this problem straightened out...

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
Old 08-31-2015, 02:17 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
Also for immediate relief try pulling fuse #47 (under hood pass side fuse box)
for about 10 minutes replace it and then drive like a granny for about 1/2 hour. Then drive it around like you normally would.. Please get back on line here and tell us if this fixes it or not.

Do yourself a favor and don't tune this car until you have this problem straightened out...
Excellent advice! So once they fixed this your flares were gone? How many miles do you have since the fix?

Also, should I put my stock axle backs back on before hand to be safe?
Old 08-31-2015, 02:19 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Oh, and do I have to take it to my dealer or can any ford shop do this?

Thanks again!
Old 08-31-2015, 02:54 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

For TSB work, you will have to take it to a dealer. I have a 14 with auto also. Been meaning to ask about what mine does. When in "S" mode, and WOT or just short of it, during the 1-2 shift, it shifts, but NOT does feel like a "positive" engagement, then it sorta settles in and accelerates & shifts to 3rd normally. I apologize, for the unclear description, but I sure can feel it. Will have mine one year tomorrow and it has 7100 miles so far.
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:02 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree43 View Post
For TSB work, you will have to take it to a dealer. I have a 14 with auto also. Been meaning to ask about what mine does. When in "S" mode, and WOT or just short of it, during the 1-2 shift, it shifts, but NOT does feel like a "positive" engagement, then it sorta settles in and accelerates & shifts to 3rd normally. I apologize, for the unclear description, but I sure can feel it. Will have mine on year tomorrow and it has 7100 miles.
So for TSB work I have to take it to any Ford dealer or the one I bought my car from? I have a Ford dealer in my town but bought my car from a dealer 90 mins away, so if I call the Ford hotline will they set me up at my local Ford dealer? I mean, they all get reimbursed by Ford anyway right?

Nice avatar btw... I promise I did not rip you off! lol
Old 08-31-2015, 03:03 PM   #24
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
So for TSB work I have to take it to any Ford dealer or the one I bought my car from? I have a Ford dealer in my town but bought my car from a dealer 90 mins away, so if I call the Ford hotline will they set me up at my local Ford dealer? I mean, they all get reimbursed by Ford anyway right?

Nice avatar btw... I promise I did not rip you off! lol
LMAO, I was just scrolling quickly and assume his post was yours due to the similar picture.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:23 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

OK so I called Ford and I can take it to any Ford dealer, so that is good to know. I'm going to get an apt asap and hopefully they don't give me the "with no codes we can't fix it until we recreate the problem" routine.

I'll keep posted.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:27 PM   #26
Kevin.Cook

Thats when the troll in me comes out and says "But I got the forum code, is that not good enough?!"

....as they stare at me with blank faces
Old 08-31-2015, 03:31 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Thats when the troll in me comes out and says "But I got the forum code, is that not good enough?!"

....as they stare at me with blank faces
Yeah I won't be trying that. lol Hopefully they know their stuff and have seen this before and just take my word on it and swap in the new relays... but I won't hold my breath.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:23 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I just read the TSB 11-11-11 pdf and it describes my problem, but the TSB says it's only for Mustangs built on or before 12/20/10, which my 2014 was not. But again, this 2-3 3-4 upshift harsh flare seems spot on.

I was driving it today and going back and forth driving hard and easy and it shifted great when driving hard, but twice I noticed it searching for the right gear when driving easy.

I will take it in and have Ford look at it and ask if they can check the fluid level while they are at it, with it under warranty this should not cost me anything correct?

Thank you for everyone's help on this, I LOVE my Mustang but I think Ford would have been much better off skipping the "adaptive learning" crap.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:33 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

thelastsumurai
Thank you for the TSB #
Will wait diagnosis.

Sorry this didn't copy correctly. Google Mustang TSB 11-11-11 It will jump at you.

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION—2-3 AND 4-5 UPSHIFT
TSB 11-11-11
HARSH- FLARE—HARSH OR DELAYED REVERSE
ENGAGEMENT—BUILT ON OR BEFORE 12/20/2010
FORD:
2011 Mustang, F-150
NOTE
ISSUE
PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS
Some 2011 Mustang and F-150 vehicles built on or
VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE
before 12/20/2010 may exhibit a 2-3 shift flare, 4-5
TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH
shift flare, harsh or delayed reverse engagement.
ALLOWS THE VEHICLE’S COMPUTER TO LEARN
ACTION
THE TRANSMISSION’S UNIQUE PARAMETERS
AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE
Follow the service procedure to correct the
ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE
condition.
COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING
SERVICE PROCEDURE
PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY
RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS
Check the vehicle build date
AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS
a.
If the vehicle build date is on or before
PART NUMBER
PART NAME
12/20/2010, proceed to Step 2.
AL3Z-7G383-K
Shift Solenoid (Band 2)
b.
If the vehicle build date is after 12/20/2010,
AL3Z-7G383-L
Shift Solenoid (Band 3)
do not continue with this article. Refer to
AL3Z-7G383-M
Shift Solenoid (Band 4)
AL3Z-7G383-N
Shift Solenoid (Band 5)
Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-01
for normal diagnostics.
WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of
Replace the three (3) normally high solenoids.
New Vehicle Limited
Line pressure control (LPC), C35R Direct
Warranty Coverage
Clutch (SSB) and the C456 Overdrive-Low
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP
Reverse (SSD) solenoids. Refer to WSM,
coverage limits/policies are
Section 307-01B.
not altered by a TSB.
a.
Clearly identify original solenoid band
Warranty/ESP coverage
numbers and location port on the main
limits are determined by the
control during solenoid removal to insure
identified causal part and
replacement solenoids are installed in
verified using the OASIS
proper location.
part coverage tool.
OPERATION
DESCRIPTION
TIME
Install IDS scan tool and clear transmission
111111A
2011 Mustang, F-150:
2.6 Hrs.
keep alive memory.
Replace Three Shift
Perform Adaptive Drive Cycle. Refer to WSM,
Solenoids And Perform
Section 307-01.
Adaptive Drive Cycle (Do
Not Use With Any Other
Labor operations)
DEALER CODING
CONDITION
BASIC PART NO.
CODE
7G383
NOTE:
The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do
the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper
vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a
Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine
Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article.The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was
current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates.The most recent information is available
through Ford Motor Company’s on-line technical resources.
Copyright

2011 Ford Motor Company
Online Publication Date
November 9, 2011
PAGE 1
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:25 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Don't forget to try to pull fuse 47 for 10 mins or so. A lot of the times that in itself fixes it. Unless of course it is the relays for sure.
But try pulling 47 first and get back to us here on this thread

Old 09-01-2015, 11:38 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Don't forget to try to pull fuse 47 for 10 mins or so. A lot of the times that in itself fixes it. Unless of course it is the relays for sure.
But try pulling 47 first and get back to us here on this thread
Yeah I posted above that I did that about 500-700 miles ago, which makes me wonder if its actially part of the problem since my car might still be trying to "learn" my driving habits?

The Ford dealership service center wouldnt answer their phone yrsterday so the phone lady took a message to call me back and of course they havent yet. My 2014 doesnt fall under that TSB so Ill likely have to be able to recreate the issue w them in the car, which isnt likely to happen.

Half of me is convinced a tune will cure everything but I dont want to void my warranty... Ugh.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #32
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Yeah I posted above that I did that about 500-700 miles ago, which makes me wonder if its actially part of the problem since my car might still be trying to "learn" my driving habits?

The Ford dealership service center wouldnt answer their phone yrsterday so the phone lady took a message to call me back and of course they havent yet. My 2014 doesnt fall under that TSB so Ill likely have to be able to recreate the issue w them in the car, which isnt likely to happen.

Half of me is convinced a tune will cure everything but I dont want to void my warranty... Ugh.
I hear ya. Sometimes I have to call the dealerships 3-5 times a day for 2-3 days before I get an answer. And the answering people or chat people are USELESS! Everytime they say they will have someone call me, it NEVER happens.

The people always say they are busy but when you go to visit, they are standing around on the sell floor waiting/hoping a customer stops by. lol
Old 09-01-2015, 12:58 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

It applies to all 6R80 transmissions. Just tell them the symptoms and make sure you tell them it is intermittent. Have them call ford tech line and ask about problem. I have seen this problem posted for 11-12-13 mustangs.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:57 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It applies to all 6R80 transmissions. Just tell them the symptoms and make sure you tell them it is intermittent. Have them call ford tech line and ask about problem. I have seen this problem posted for 11-12-13 mustangs.
Okay so I'm clear my Mustang has the 6R80 tranny? I dont want to sound like a dumbass if I ever get thru to them. Lol

Thx!
Old 09-01-2015, 03:59 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Also, I read that MPT claims if I put a tune on it and then revert to stock and drive for 100 miles they wont be able to see if I had a tune on it. True or false?

If true I may install the tune and if it happens again do the stock 100 mile trick. Still on the fence either way.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang