weird sound - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-31-2015, 11:44 AM   #1

Region: Texas
weird sound

I installed my shorty headers had a leak, fixed that. It was coming from my passenger side cat.. oh the passenger side. Back onto the subject, when I'm in the 1500-3krpm range it makes this weird sound.. My friend (4 years of technical school total) said it's not a leak and we're gonna take a look ourselves as we did do the install ourselves. Anyone else know what this issue is? The headers havent broken in yet, put them in yesterday.
MrFudgems is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2015, 11:51 AM   #2
Kevin.Cook

Mine makes a tick on the driver side where the couplers meet. I would assume the BBK coupler doesn't seal 100% around/inside the collector's coupler. Not enough of a leak to cause an issue. Just an annoyance. One day I will take care of this.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
If the leak comes from the area between the catalytic converter and manifold, most likely it is due to a bad exhaust system alignment. Below is the correct procedure to ensure no leaks:

Beginning at the front of the vehicle, align the exhaust system in the following sequence.

Evenly tighten all 4 of the catalytic converter-to-exhaust manifold nuts (starting with the right lower, then the left lower, then the right upper, then the left upper) in 10 Nm (89 lb-in) increments until reaching the final torque of 40 Nm (30 lb-ft).
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2015, 01:45 PM   #4

I fixed the cat leak, it's only from 1500 to 2500 now, and only when i'm deep in the pedal. Might be just sealing?
Old 08-31-2015, 01:47 PM   #5
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFudgems View Post
I fixed the cat leak, it's only from 1500 to 2500 now, and only when i'm deep in the pedal. Might be just sealing?
Well, could you describe the noise at all? I have the same thing but on the driver side.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:48 PM   #6

like a snake is hissing at me, not loud it's a little noise. cant be heard if windows are down if inside, clearly heard from outside.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:51 PM   #7
Kevin.Cook

Well for me, it is so slight that you can only hear it in the drivers seat, inside the car with the windows up, and no music or anything going. Only happens at a certain load and I have already figured out what/where it is. Its just a matter of finding a shop that is willing to do w/e you ask them as far as exhaust to get it working. Because the shops around me in Cedar Park, TX doesn't want to A) touch aftermarket headers or B) weld or apply any sealant to anything.

So its all about time and place for me.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:55 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFudgems View Post
like a snake is hissing at me, not loud it's a little noise. cant be heard if windows are down if inside, clearly heard from outside.
That sounds like the noise my car makes. Found a leak at the turbo, and that seems to have moved the trigger point. Not RPM dependent but speed on mine. Went from 40 MPH to 50 MPH, and inconsistent. It isn't constant and the "snake hiss" comes up at random. Can't hear it with windows up, only with windows open or top is down
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:58 PM   #9
Kevin.Cook

Yup. I was told by 1 mechanic that on our cars it can sometimes make Exhaust mods touchy as we use joint couplets vs. gaskets and such. I guess you can weld them if you want. lol. I might end up doing that. As Idc to ever remove the headers and I am not worried about whoever owns the car next. I am not modding for the next owner, I mod for myself.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang