Is my clutch not releasing enough or is my mt82 going bad? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-05-2015, 08:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Is my clutch not releasing enough or is my mt82 going bad?

Despite having an MGW Race Spec shifter, I still have an occasional grinding of gears. Just tonight I decided to record an 1/8 mile run on the track apps. Made a good launch but 2nd gear was **GRIND GRIND** Yes I tried twice to get it into gear, all while granny shifting and having the clutch to the floor

Now I'm scared to drive my car the way I want to. Every time I grind a gear, I look on eBay to see how much used mt82's are going for.
2013 v6, performance pack, mt82 manual, MGW Race Spec shifter, SVE Drifts 19x9.5, H&R Supersport springs, Koni yellows, BMR panhard bar, adjustable UCA and LCA, shorty antenna, GT500 strut mounts, black painted roof, Roush splitters all around, GT hood and fog lights.
Josh_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2015, 09:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Its not normal, all I've done to mine is a Barton shifter bracket and RP syncomax fluid flush and i never get any grind on any gear all the way to 7k shifting.
I'd be concerned also.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I was having the same issue. I installed stainless steel clutch line, Barton 2-post bracket, Barton short shifter, and white line trans bushing. Cleaned it up nicely, but what really brought it together was changing out the crappy stock fluid to some Royal Purple Synchromax. Best it's shifted since I've had it. No more high rpm grinds.

Before I installed all these mods, I came to the realization that the MT82 does NOT like power shifting 1-2 at high rpms. If you take that extra half second to make sure the clutched in pushed down all the way and the gear engages properly, you will not have an issue.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2015, 09:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
a ACTUAL grinding problem is not going to be solved with a shifter or anything like that.
It's going to be a transmission problem.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
I was having the same issue. I installed stainless steel clutch line, Barton 2-post bracket, Barton short shifter, and white line trans bushing. Cleaned it up nicely, but what really brought it together was changing out the crappy stock fluid to some Royal Purple Synchromax. Best it's shifted since I've had it. No more high rpm grinds.

Before I installed all these mods, I came to the realization that the MT82 does NOT like power shifting 1-2 at high rpms. If you take that extra half second to make sure the clutched in pushed down all the way and the gear engages properly, you will not have an issue.
÷1, It sounds crazy, but IMO the RP does wonders for our MT 82s

Sent from LG G3.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Most of the problems are the crappy plastic internals and the MT82 being a remote style shifter. Meaning the rear of the shifter is bolted directly to the body. So, at high rpms, the driveline is tweaking one way while the rear of the shifter is mounted to the body causing it to misalign. Of course, you might've caused some serious damage over time if you've been running all stock equipment and beating the hell out of it.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Old 09-05-2015, 09:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
Most of the problems are the crappy plastic internals and the MT82 being a remote style shifter. Meaning the rear of the shifter is bolted directly to the body. So, at high rpms, the driveline is tweaking one way while the rear of the shifter is mounted to the body causing it to misalign. Of course, you might've caused some serious damage over time if you've been running all stock equipment and beating the hell out of it.
And that's the issue I've had the most with it from the beginning, although can't totally be my fault. The car had 35k miles on it by the time I bought it, it now has about 58k on it. If it's one thing the MGW has fixed for sure, it's the constant binding that the factory shifter causes in between shifts, plus the overall feel of shifting general. But soon after installing it, I start to realize maybe it's just as you say, the MT82 just doesn't like to fly through the gears. The occurrence of the 2nd gear grind a couple hours ago has me very alarmed though. I'm going to buy some RP SyncroMax, put'er up on jack stands and change the fluid, I'll check it for metal pieces as well.

I don't think going to the dealer will be an option, because when they see what's done to my car plus the tune = warranty work denied.
2013 v6, performance pack, mt82 manual, MGW Race Spec shifter, SVE Drifts 19x9.5, H&R Supersport springs, Koni yellows, BMR panhard bar, adjustable UCA and LCA, shorty antenna, GT500 strut mounts, black painted roof, Roush splitters all around, GT hood and fog lights.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_101 View Post
And that's the issue I've had the most with it from the beginning, although can't totally be my fault. The car had 35k miles on it by the time I bought it, it now has about 58k on it. If it's one thing the MGW has fixed for sure, it's the constant binding that the factory shifter causes in between shifts, plus the overall feel of shifting general. But soon after installing it, I start to realize maybe it's just as Mean14 says, the MT82 just doesn't like to fly through the gears. The occurrence of the 2nd gear grind a couple hours ago has me very alarmed though. I'm going to buy some RP SyncroMax, put'er up on jack stands and change the fluid, I'll check it for metal pieces as well.

I don't think going to the dealer will be an option, because when they see what's done to my car plus the tune = warranty work denied.
It's weird because I can speed shift all of the other gears EXCEPT the 1-2. It never liked it since I bought it new at day 1. Like I mentioned earlier, I have no issues now because of all the supporting mods and the fluid change. I think you'll be impressed with how much the RP smooths out the shifting. I bought mine off of JEGs. Cheapest around I could fine. Also, I just did a write up on how to change the fluid on our 3.7s.. Here is the link Sticky for Common/popular Mustang mods it is the last post at the bottom. Good luck!

Old 09-05-2015, 11:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks man, I'll get to it on Monday.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:35 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
a ACTUAL grinding problem is not going to be solved with a shifter or anything like that.
It's going to be a transmission problem.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
+1, fluid swap wont fix actual grinding.

Sent from LG G3.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I've read plenty say the fluid swap helped the "nibble" going between gears. "Nibble" being that catching of the shifter that causes you to kind of fight to get the car into gear. Not exactly grinding but might be called such,
Another option is the blowfish support bracket/safety loop.
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #12
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Nothing but opening it up will fix grinding (if you are fully depressing the clutch).

I put in Redline MTL which helped the nibble, clutch line which I couldn't tell, motor mounts which helped blocked shifts (my fav improvement) and an MGW which I was meh about till I drove a buddies oem and was reminded how sloppy it was. The MGW was worth it.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
My car is a 14 I bought new and now has 40k on it. I have the Barton bracket oem shifter and fluid. I had a grind only once shifting from 1-2 @ 7k rpms and that was due to my right hand being slightly faster than my left foot. No other issues to report as of today.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:07 PM   #14
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Josh,

I would bring it to the dealer b4 trying to self fix a grind (if you still have the 5yr/60K wtty).

If you do choose to swap fluid, consider saving the OEM in a clean container to put it back in case you want to try for wtty work after. They MAY not care what the fluid is, but if they do......

Mud
Old 09-06-2015, 03:11 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Josh,

I would bring it to the dealer b4 trying to self fix a grind (if you still have the 5yr/60K wtty).

If you do choose to swap fluid, consider saving the OEM in a clean container to put it back in case you want to try for wtty work after. They MAY not care what the fluid is, but if they do......

Mud
Thing is, I can easily see this as a waste of time trying to get the dealer to do warranty work to it, for one thing they're not going to drive it hard to replicate the problem. And 2nd, they're gonna see what's done to the car and then void the warranty. I'll change the fluid tomorrow and see what that does. $50 to $60 worth of RP SyncroMax is worth a shot trying before spending a grand right away on another mt82 pulled from a wreck. If it doesn't improve much I'll just have to be gentle with it until next spring when I'm making good money again.

I've read all about the Tremec Magnum XL 6 speed and would really like to do that conversion, but at 5+ grand, I don't make near enough to afford that.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:06 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

It's in your trans not your shifter

69mach1390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:43 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
If I get the royal purple what is the proper at on it? I'm away from the car and can't get to my manual at this time.

Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Redline Mtl is good

69mach1390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:41 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
My car has always been "clunky" on the 1-2 shift. Seems this is a normal occurrence.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-07-2015, 09:54 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You need to get a stage 1 or 2 clutch if you haven't uprgaded already your oem clutch disc.
Chrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:00 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_101 View Post
Thing is, I can easily see this as a waste of time trying to get the dealer to do warranty work to it, for one thing they're not going to drive it hard to replicate the problem. And 2nd, they're gonna see what's done to the car and then void the warranty. I'll change the fluid tomorrow and see what that does. $50 to $60 worth of RP SyncroMax is worth a shot trying before spending a grand right away on another mt82 pulled from a wreck. If it doesn't improve much I'll just have to be gentle with it until next spring when I'm making good money again.

I've read all about the Tremec Magnum XL 6 speed and would really like to do that conversion, but at 5+ grand, I don't make near enough to afford that.
Apparently they can't discredit the warranty unless they can prove the modification caused the problem. The time spent going back and forth is certainly something some people don't want to deal with. A transmission replaced under warranty should be something worth spending time fighting for imo.
i can't see any harm in trying the easy "fix" first, fluid swap that is.
Good luck!
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:55 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I almost didn't do the fluid change today because nobody had any RP Synchromax in my town. So I went up to Portsmouth rather than wait till next Monday. Did the change, found out the hand pump was a waste of 10 or $15, in fact you don't really even need one. Just have a tube running from the bottle into the fill hole, hold it up almost against the driveshaft and give it a good squeeze, that's all! The pump I bought (from NAPA) won't fit the RP bottles, and made the job messy're than it should've been. In fact the tube that came with it popped off the dispensing end and dumped fluid on my face >: (

Ok, driving impression on Royal Purple. The only difference I can tell immediately is the lack of "nibble" when moving to 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Maybe it does shift a little easier, but I'm not sure. Then again, I've never had an issue with it shifting under normal driving, it's those high rpm moments that get me. I'm still in shift carefully mode for now, so only time will tell how it does.

Right after the fluid change I put the old fluid in an empty bottle, the clear plastic bowl I used for draining showed no sign of metal pieces or shavings. Unless the magnet inside the trans got any of that, I can only assume I'm ok for now.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:05 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

When I did the RP swap it almost completely eliminated any nibble and shifts felt smoother, but maybe I was lucky as my Mt-82 was overall pretty damn solid in stock form.

With the OEM dual clutch fluid my tranny would become pretty loud after sitting in the scorching summer traffic to the point where where with the windows up and AC and radio off, I could literally hear everything turning in the transmission while accelerating. RP seems to deal with the scorching summer heat much better than the *****ty Oem fluid and was my main reason for the swap.

I hope it helps you out with your grind issue but I have my doubts.

Sent from LG G3.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:11 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I still get the usual sounds that 2nd gear makes, slightly audible sound that sorta sounds like water running slowly from a spicket. It's done that from day 1 of my ownership.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:13 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Could your issue possibly be a bad synchro?

Sent from LG G3.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:15 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Also give the RP time to lubricate everything thoroughly.

Sent from LG G3.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:15 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not sure what causes it, but from what little bit I've found, a lot of people even with a not so terrible mt82 makes that same sound.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:19 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Well noise I'm sure you'd be okay with, as long as your "grind" issue is solved. I suggest driving normal for a day or two then go all out on a run and see how it feels.

Sent from LG G3.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang