Questions on driveshaft install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-05-2015, 09:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Questions on driveshaft install

I'm looking at the instructions to install driveshaft and notice that they put the front wheels on Rhino ramp and the two rear wheels on jack stands.

Here is my question. The front wheels are basically at loose with no gear or emergency brake holding them. Is this really safe? Will my car sliding off the ramp when I jack up the rear end?
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2015, 09:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I didn't even lift the front tires up when I installed my DS. I chucked the front wheels and jacked it up from the rear as high as I could, put her on jack stands and had it changed in less than an hour.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Questions on driveshaft install

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1441507404.601744.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	190726

I actually had mine on ramps in the front and the rear jacked up the other day when I changed trans fluid. Just make sure you're not on a hill or anything. If you have a inclined driveway like I do in that picture, make sure the ramps are facing "downhill" because they have a built in chuck on the front to prevent the car from rolling forward off the ramps. You will be fine. It's going to have to take a lot of force to get that rear end to move off of the jack stands.

If you're still worried about it after you get the car raised up, go to each corner of the car and shake it. Lol. If it doesn't budge, then you're good. If it falls off... Well... Better the car than you.

I am not responsible for the damage you may cause to you or your ride.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2015, 10:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
I didn't even lift the front tires up when I installed my DS. I chucked the front wheels and jacked it up from the rear as high as I could, put her on jack stands and had it changed in less than an hour.
Thanks! Good to know this is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
Attachment 190726

I actually had mine on ramps in the front and the rear jacked up the other day when I changed trans fluid. Just make sure you're not on a hill or anything. If you have a inclined driveway like I do in that picture, make sure the ramps are facing "downhill" because they have a built in chuck on the front to prevent the car from rolling forward off the ramps. You will be fine. It's going to have to take a lot of force to get that rear end to move off of the jack stands.

If you're still worried about it after you get the car raised up, go to each corner of the car and shake it. Lol. If it doesn't budge, then you're good. If it falls off... Well... Better the car than you.

I am not responsible for the damage you may cause to you or your ride.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Considering that I'll have to use a lot of force to break the bolts loose, it's important to be extra cautious.
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:03 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I do mine on a lift.

But no, it won't move if its level. But you don't have to put the front on ramps either.

Rear wheels need to be free so you can set and unset the E brake or the DS will just spin when you go to remove the bolts. If its an older vehicle, suggest you buy a torch and soak the bolts in liquid wrench overnight.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:19 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
What I've found out is that if on level ground you can put the fronts onto the ramps then jack the rear of the car fine since the jack wants to move forward as you jack it up. Just don't lower the car down that same way or else the car will roll back toward you until the rear wheels touch the ground........

Ask me how I know this lol

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:18 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I do mine on a lift.

But no, it won't move if its level. But you don't have to put the front on ramps either.

Rear wheels need to be free so you can set and unset the E brake or the DS will just spin when you go to remove the bolts. If its an older vehicle, suggest you buy a torch and soak the bolts in liquid wrench overnight.
Thanks. Hopefully, I won't need a torch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
What I've found out is that if on level ground you can put the fronts onto the ramps then jack the rear of the car fine since the jack wants to move forward as you jack it up. Just don't lower the car down that same way or else the car will roll back toward you until the rear wheels touch the ground........

Ask me how I know this lol

Bullitts are better than Bullets
Thanks for the warning about lowering the car after it is done. This is important to keep in mind
Old 09-06-2015, 09:21 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Another question.

I know that after I took off all of the 8 bolts, the driveshaft will probably stay, thanks to the rust. If I don't have a helper, what is the best way to knock it off? Hammer the rear end first, and put some cushion between the front end of the driveshaft and the exhaust pipes? Or it is better to hammer the front end of the driveshaft first?
Old 09-06-2015, 09:25 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Go from the rear.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:30 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, man!

BTW, I am getting the Dynotech 3.5, after seeing your posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Go from the rear.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Good info in here!
S197 GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang