Anyone has this MGW bushing installed on your car? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-07-2015, 10:42 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Anyone has this MGW bushing installed on your car?

This seems like a great upgrade to the stock shifter:

I wonder how much NVH it will get? Any tricks on the install?
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2015, 11:45 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I installed it last year. I didn't notice any increase in NVH but I also didn't notice any difference in shifting. However, I already had the MGW shifter (not race spec) and wasn't having any miss shifts before installing the bushing. Installing it was not difficult but getting that bolt back in was a bear. Had to pry down on the transmission to make enough room. Other than that it was simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

It's the best thing you can do honestly. And if you are shifting past 7500 Rpms then you need it. If not then you need to sell the car to someone who will actually drive it lol

Jack stands and about a hour total time and you will have it done.
🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robostang View Post
I installed it last year. I didn't notice any increase in NVH but I also didn't notice any difference in shifting. However, I already had the MGW shifter (not race spec) and wasn't having any miss shifts before installing the bushing. Installing it was not difficult but getting that bolt back in was a bear. Had to pry down on the transmission to make enough room. Other than that it was simple.

Thank you for sharing your experience! I played with that bolt before. All you need is to unscrew the four transmission cross-member bolts and drop the transmission a little bit. It is super easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
It's the best thing you can do honestly. And if you are shifting past 7500 Rpms then you need it. If not then you need to sell the car to someone who will actually drive it lol

Jack stands and about a hour total time and you will have it done.
and fed coyote.
Glad to know this is "the best" thing to do. Sounds like I definitely need this mod then.
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Is this applicable for the MGW shifter only? Or can I install one with an aftermarket Barton?

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
Is this applicable for the MGW shifter only? Or can I install one with an aftermarket Barton?

It can be installed with any shifter. It is on the stock shifter arm. So the actual shifter plays no role in it.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:05 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
It can be installed with any shifter. It is on the stock shifter arm. So the actual shifter plays no role in it.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Sweet. Where can I purchase this?

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Old 09-08-2015, 12:37 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

What else will we benefit from it other than shifting at high rpms? I want to get rid of the clunks the shifter makes when I shift from 1st to 2nd when ever I make a hard turns.

Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:48 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlp07 View Post
What else will we benefit from it other than shifting at high rpms? I want to get rid of the clunks the shifter makes when I shift from 1st to 2nd when ever I make a hard turns.

Stiffer motor mounts would help secure the drivetrain better as well as a CHE brace will almost eliminate the movement.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:56 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sweet. Where can I purchase this?

From mgw

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:26 AM   #11
Staff

Regular
Staff

+ 1 on from MGW.

also +1 on motor mounts. Of all the fixes mounts they are what helped me the most (tied with learning the tight gates) caution there is a good bit more NVH with motor mounts.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Called MGW this morning and got this ordered! $25 shipped. Thanks for bringing this mod to my attention! I recommend others to call MGW directly for this because it is not listed on their website. I'll let you know how the install goes and possibly do a write up on it.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Called MGW this morning and got this ordered! $25 shipped. Thanks for bringing this mod to my attention! I recommend others to call MGW directly for this because it is not listed on their website.

*** I'll let you know how the install goes and possibly do a write up on it. ***

Please please do a write-up on this and let us know how the drivability is, meaning is there any more vibration or harshness after the install. And also how much trouble it was to install it.

Please add it to this thread so that those of us who subscribe to this thread will automatically get notified please.

Many thanks!

GT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:39 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I installed my MGW without assistance, no hand holding needed, piece of cake. Just interested in others views of a solid bushing from those who have replaced the OE one that is not solid.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Why is it ok to insult others for asking others view points after they install the part that is the topic of the thread? The insults are unnecessary and childish. So you have not asked questions before? Of course you have.

I suppose you want to slam me for stating the obvious that insulting others by saying let's post a write-up on how to put fuel in a car, etc, is ridiculous.

Silly to slam others for asking questions.

My comments were said with tongue in cheek, lighten up.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Imho.... Sausage fingers again

Old 09-08-2015, 09:34 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I received mine today and just put it on. The support arm is rock solid now. Have to agree this is one of the best and cheapest mods ever.

This bushing basically fixed a Ford design flaw. The stock design is a inner center tube with two poly** bushings. The problem is that the center tube is 1/8 inch too long, making the bushings useless.

Quote:
Called MGW this morning and got this ordered! $25 shipped. Thanks for bringing this mod to my attention! I recommend others to call MGW directly for this because it is not listed on their website. I'll let you know how the install goes and possibly do a write up on it.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:43 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Tricks: You do need to lower the transmission by removing the 4 cross member bolts (46 lb-ft when tightening them up). Don't be scared by this. It is very easy to do.

For V6 models, you have plenty of room to pull out the 10 mm long bolt, before you can take off the shifter support arm. I heard for GT models, you may need to pull the driveshaft to gain access.

I lightly applied some RTV, before putting the bushings in.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:45 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 1 View Post
Maybe you missed the whole purpose of interacting on the forum and what forums are all about... sharing info, sharing experiences, helping one another, comradery... you know, defined as: the spirit of friendship and community in a group.

Since you don't like it here and disagree with the whole premise of a forum, I feel for you in your pain and maybe you could ease the pain by going off to the land of non-forums where you can interact with just yourself and be angry alone and belittle yourself instead of others who you yourself deem need hand holding and you can be better than everyone else since you've never needed or asked for or gotten any help from others since it's just you in your own world of just yourself where it appears you might be much much happier and not have to deal with others and their mistakes or desire for sharing knowledge and experiences, darn those pesky humans!

Rap has helped me quite a few times and I enjoy reading his posts.
He also provides A LOT of great info to many others on this forum and probably other forums as well.
Just saying.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:37 AM   #20
Staff

Regular
Staff

play nice.....

We have a member willing to do a write up and a member wanting to see one. There are different ways to learn and if someone prefers to read instructions 1st why should they get slammed. Until the **** started all was good. Forums are for the open exchange of info and for fun, lets keep it to that so I don't have to clean up threads.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:19 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Someone helped you a lot doesn't mean you should tarnish your own image by being biased towards him. Is that the kind of world you want to live in?

There is nothing wrong with asking people to post a write-up PERIOD. We are humans and we learn from each other. If everyone thinks we should try and error for everything, we would still live in the stone age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Rap has helped me quite a few times and I enjoy reading his posts.
He also provides A LOT of great info to many others on this forum and probably other forums as well.
Just saying.

Sent from LG G3.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:46 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4spd View Post
Someone helped you a lot doesn't mean you should tarnish your own image by being biased towards him. Is that the kind of world you want to live in?

There is nothing wrong with asking people to post a write-up PERIOD. We are humans and we learn from each other. If everyone thinks we should try and error for everything, we would still live in the stone age.
Maybe you need to re read my post, I'm not being biased towards anyone nor did i bash GT 1 or pick sides. As a member for over 3 years I've seen Rap help out many on here not just myself with his vast knowledge of mustangs.
Was there anything wrong with GT 1 asking for a write up, absolutely not, but IMO GT 1's post was much harsher in response to Raps post, and Rap was just expressing his opinion.

My previous post to GT 1 shouldn't have offended anyone.
Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:00 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Getting back in topic...how does the car shift now, liv4spd?
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:30 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Much better of course

If you go underneath my car and feel the shifter support arm, it is rock solid. However, you know the internals of the MT-82 still do not make the shifting feel the best of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
Getting back in topic...how does the car shift now, liv4spd?
Old 09-09-2015, 09:02 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

After installing the MGW solid metal/aluminum bushing do you feel any vibration or hear any noise from installing the solid bushing?

How was the install? Any hassles? Anything a pain in the butt whike installing it?

Any tips or tricks you can suggest now that you have done one yourself?

Thanks.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:19 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

No vibration or noise. I used a lot of Dynomat though.

1. Remove the 2 shifter bracket nuts and lower the bracket.

2. You need to drop the transmission a little bit by taking off the 4 transmission cross-member bolts to gain access to the long bolt connecting the shifter support arm with your transmission. A 10 mm Gearwrench flex head ratcheting wrench will make removing the long bolt much easier.

3. If you have the stock shifter, use 3/8" socket to remove the 3 bolts connecting the shifter with the support arm.

4. Remove the stock bushings from the support arm. If you knock off the center tube, the bushings will fall off.

5. Apply some Dynomat to the support arm.

6. Apply some RTV to the bushings before put them in, just to hold them there.

7. Install it to your car.

Step 4 took the most of my time.

Quote:
After installing the MGW solid metal/aluminum bushing do you feel any vibration or hear any noise from installing the solid bushing?

How was the install? Any hassles? Anything a pain in the butt whike installing it?

Any tips or tricks you can suggest now that you have done one yourself?

Thanks.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:27 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4spd View Post
No vibration or noise. I used a lot of Dynomat though.

1. Remove the 2 shifter bracket nuts.

2. You need to drop the transmission a little bit by taking off the 4 transmission cross-member bolts to gain access to the long bolt connecting the shifter support arm with your transmission. A 10 mm Gearwrench flex head ratcheting wrench will make removing the long bolt much easier.

3. If you have the stock shifter, use 3/8 socket to remove the 3 bolts connecting the shifter with the support arm.

4. Remove the stock bushings from the support arm. If you knock off the center tube, the bushings will fall off.

5. Apply some Dynomat to the support arm.

6. Apply some RTV to the bushings before put them in, just to hold them there.

7. Install it to your car.

Step 4 took the most of my time.
Thanks for this! Can't wait to get this installed.

Also, here is a picture to help visualize the steps....

The nuts for the shifter bracket are circled in yellow (step 1). The 10mm bolt to remove the arm from trans (step 2) is circled in red. The three bolts connecting arm to shifter (step 3) are circled in blue.

I would recommend supporting the transmission with a jack before removing the cross member. This way you are able to lower the trans enough to where you need it and have the ability to easily jack it back up.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
In case I missed it, is there a part number?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-10-2015, 08:14 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Great picture and excellent additional information.

Quote:
Thanks for this! Can't wait to get this installed.

Also, here is a picture to help visualize the steps....

The nuts for the shifter bracket are circled in yellow (step 1). The 10mm bolt to remove the arm from trans (step 2) is circled in red. The three bolts connecting arm to shifter (step 3) are circled in blue.

I would recommend supporting the transmission with a jack before removing the cross member. This way you are able to lower the trans enough to where you need it and have the ability to easily jack it back up.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:35 AM   #30
Staff

Regular
Staff

idk about p/n but mgw is small enuf to know what you want by phone/email
Old 09-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
idk about p/n but mgw is small enuf to know what you want by phone/email
Ok, gotcha.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-11-2015, 11:31 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Is it possible to remove just the 10mm bolt from the arm from trans circled in red without having to remove all the bolts circled in blue connecting arm to shifter.

So what I mean is, can just the 10mm bolt be removed, then just take out that bolt and remove the original bushing? And then replace it with the new MGW bushing while the arm is still in the car?

Does the arm have to be completely removed from the trans and come all the way out of the car to replace the original bushing?

Or could 2 of the 3 bolts circled in blue be removed so that the arm could be pulled up out of the way enough to get the bushing out without having to remove the arm out of the car?

Old 09-11-2015, 01:43 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

You have to remove all of the 3 bolts circled in blue as well.

I am pretty sure there is no chance you can remove the stock bushings while the support arm is in the car. You will need to take it off the car and resort to some tools to remove the bushings.

Quote:
Is it possible to remove just the 10mm bolt from the arm from trans circled in red without having to remove all the bolts circled in blue connecting arm to shifter.

So what I mean is, can just the 10mm bolt be removed, then just take out that bolt and remove the original bushing? And then replace it with the new MGW bushing while the arm is still in the car?

Does the arm have to be completely removed from the trans and come all the way out of the car to replace the original bushing?

Or could 2 of the 3 bolts circled in blue be removed so that the arm could be pulled up out of the way enough to get the bushing out without having to remove the arm out of the car?

Old 09-11-2015, 07:31 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, so I received the bushing today, and I installed it. I have to say, I am VERY DISAPPOINTED!

This "bushing upgrade" had more play in it than the stock bushing. I used a breaker bar and tightened the "upgrade" down as much as I could it literally felt like the head was going to break off. The arm had as much play in it as the first stock bushing in the video. After installing it and seeing how much play was in there, I immediately took it back off and put the stock bushing back in (which by the way was not worn at all). Once I put the stock bushing in, the arm had no play what so ever and was solid like the second arm with the "bushing upgrade" in the video.

I thought about this a bit and came to this conclusion....

The stock bushing is inserted into the arm and the round metal piece is forced in causing the bushing to expand eliminating any play that the arm could have inside the round part where the bushing sits. The bolt is then threaded through the arm and clamped to the top of the transmission.

The two steel pieces that MGW sent do not have the ability to expand (like the stock bushing does thanks to the round metal piece that is inserted), thus limiting it to one size. So, even when the bolt is tightened, there is still plenty of play in the round part of the arm where the metal "bushing" sits.

Maybe they sent me the wrong one, which I highly doubt. I will be calling them on Monday to get a refund. Complete waste of time.

Those who have installed this, I would recommend checking how much play the arm has with this "upgrade". Because my stock bushing was a hell of a lot better than this one. Literally had no play and didn't move the arm up, down, or left, right like the "upgrade" did.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:39 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Okay, so I received the bushing today, and I installed it. I have to say, I am VERY DISAPPOINTED!

This "bushing upgrade" had more play in it than the stock bushing. I used a breaker bar and tightened the "upgrade" down as much as I could it literally felt like the head was going to break off. The arm had as much play in it as the first stock bushing in the video. After installing it and seeing how much play was in there, I immediately took it back off and put the stock bushing back in (which by the way was not worn at all). Once I put the stock bushing in, the arm had no play what so ever and was solid like the second arm with the "bushing upgrade" in the video.

I thought about this a bit and came to this conclusion....

The stock bushing is inserted into the arm and the round metal piece is forced in causing the bushing to expand eliminating any play that the arm could have. The bolt is then threaded through the arm and clamped to the top of the transmission.

The two steel pieces that MGW sent do not have the ability to expand (like the stock bushing does thanks to the round metal piece that is inserted), thus limiting it to one size. So, even when the bolt is tightened, there is still plenty of play in the arm.

Maybe they sent me the wrong one, which I highly doubt. I will be calling them on Monday to get a refund. Complete waste of time.

Those who have installed this, I would recommend checking how much play the arm has with this "upgrade". Because my stock bushing was a hell of a lot better than this one. Literally had no play and didn't move the arm up, down, or left, right like the "upgrade" did.

You didn't something wrong. Bc this is the first negative review.
Also everything you said is not anywhere near existence after the install.

🍼and 🌽 fed coyote.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang