Anodized brake rotors - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-09-2015, 06:12 PM   #1

Region: Florida
Anodized brake rotors

Hello I recently picked up a 14 V6 and I've done a bit of research on American muscle as well as a couple other sites but was unable to find a pair of front black anodized rotors.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I read in the beginners guide to basically stay away from the drilled rotors to avoid cracking, so I'm trying to do that.

Also, could anyone suggest a good pad? I'm going for mainly street use but increased performance. I can't stand the stock brakes!

Side note: does anyone know if it's possible to use someone else's remote tuner on my car? The tune seems great but it doesn't seem like 2-400 dollars great

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	190895  
Deanbramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2015, 06:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
1. you only anodize aluminum, so you would either have to paint or powder coat calipers.
2. im partial to carbotech, so check out their 1521 pad compound.
3. I have a spare set of calipers i'll sell you if you want to get them powder coated so you dont have any down time.

Questions about powdercoating:

Barton Shifter + 11-14 brake parts

Edit, i just realized i read your post wrong. That being said, you would still have to paint the rotors, powdercoating may not work the same... you're talking about just the hats right? Not the whole rotor?
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:22 PM   #3

I'm not really interested in any calipers although I appreciate the offer. Right now I think all I really need is a nice set of rotors and pads. The stock pads and rotors over heated on me trying to stop from 100mph and I think the rotors may have warped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2015, 06:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanbramer View Post
I'm not really interested in any calipers although I appreciate the offer. Right now I think all I really need is a nice set of rotors and pads. The stock pads and rotors over heated on me trying to stop from 100mph and I think the rotors may have warped.
Trust me, they didn't, and how do you know they "over heated?" Also, what exactly are you looking for in "anodized rotors?"
Old 09-09-2015, 06:55 PM   #5

The reason I know they overheated is because the wheel started shaking violently and I could feel it in the brake pedal, The reason I suspect they're warped after is because now when I brake the wheel has a slight shake to it. They don't have to be anodized, it was just my first choice and was wondering if anyone knew of any because I'm having a hard time finding them.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I've put drilled and slotted rotors on every mustang I've owned (still have to order for my current one). Never had any issues with cracking or warping. Keeps the heat down and prevents warping

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I managed to "warp" (or put a pad impression on) stock rotors with a panic stop at highway speeds. Probably that had more to do with not releasing the brakes after I came to a stop. And no, I wasn't doing 100 mph.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
No, on using someone else's tuner. You have to set it up for only one car. Evening purchasing or if someone gave you a tuner for free, you have to have it unlocked and then purchase your tunes. Bama has lifetime tunes, which most people have purchased.

Looks like no one told you, to own a Mustang, get's expensive.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:09 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Hello I recently picked up a 14 V6 and I've done a bit of research on American muscle as well as a couple other sites but was unable to find a pair of front black anodized rotors.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I read in the beginners guide to basically stay away from the drilled rotors to avoid cracking, so I'm trying to do that.

Also, could anyone suggest a good pad? I'm going for mainly street use but increased performance. I can't stand the stock brakes!

Side note: does anyone know if it's possible to use someone else's remote tuner on my car? The tune seems great but it doesn't seem like 2-400 dollars great

Thank you
In all the years (5) I have been on this mustang site and other mustang forums I have never heard to stay away from slotted/drilled rotors because they crack???? Where did you get this information from? A cracker jack box?

Now , I have seen debates on here if the drilled rotors were worth buying from a performance stand point. Many feel its strictly an apperence mod but never had anyone say they crack

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I love my drilled and slotted rotors. coupled with SS lines and they are fimer. I had so much brake pad left though stock Im still using the stock pads. low dust. will switch in 6 months to better pads but for now system is working out for me. Only thing is I think I might need to upgrade to dot 4 fluid maybe since a lot of braking in the mountains causes brakes to fade somewhat
2012 Pony Pkg 3.7 convertible, MPT tuned, 4.10's, Dynotech 3.5" DS, Borla Touring axle backs, BBK 73mm TB and ceramic shorties, Whiteline sway bars and UCA/LCA with relocation brackets, BMR adj. PHB and brace, Steeda CAI, CE frame braces, Bilstein shocks, H&R race springs, SS brake lines, full HID, GT 500 gauge pod with gauges and misc. exterior upgrades
pitboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:42 PM   #11
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:

Thank you
No, only one car can be tuned at a time because losing the tune marries the tuner to the car. You'd have to return one car to stock to tune the other. And the tuner/tune IS worth the money.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
In all the years (5) I have been on this mustang site and other mustang forums I have never heard to stay away from slotted/drilled rotors because they crack???? Where did you get this information from? A cracker jack box?

Now , I have seen debates on here if the drilled rotors were worth buying from a performance stand point. Many feel its strictly an apperence mod but never had anyone say they crack

Non and non fed. I $uck!
It is strictly an appearance mod and they will crack in a performance standpoint (as in road racing). They look cool as hell, don't get me wrong, but they offer zero performance increase, and in some cases are worse than a premium blank.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
It is strictly an appearance mod and they will crack in a performance standpoint (as in road racing). They look cool as hell, don't get me wrong, but they offer zero performance increase, and in some cases are worse than a premium blank.
That has been the general consensus about the slotted/drilled rotots. They are an apperence mod and personally will get them myself. Love the look of them. Since I don't auto cross road race, I will not have cracking issues. 😀

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang