I guess aluminum driveshaft is not for me - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I guess aluminum driveshaft is not for me

I finally installed a new Dynotech 3.5 inch aluminum driveshaft to my Mustang today. It is a quality piece with no vibration of any sort at all.

However, I get a drone whenever I decelerate by taking my right foot off the gas pedal. Even if I put the transmission to neutral the drone still persists for about 30 seconds or so. The driveshaft also magnifies my rear end noise.

Unless the issue is from a bad install, I might consider to return it.
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2015, 09:35 PM   #2
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
No noise or drone with my AxleExchange one- piece. I'd double check the install.

Sent from the Death Star.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
And how could anyone mess up install on driveshaft? Just asking
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2015, 09:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLYDRIVER1 View Post
And how could anyone mess up install on driveshaft? Just asking

Sometimes you have to take it out and rotate it 90 degrees. I've heard that helps.

Instagram: @v6beast
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I get a little drone too but its not too bad. I have borla ab and 4.10 so that all doesn't help. I can live with it. I really like it. acceleration is more effortless and fun. I have the dynotech 3.5" too. dealer installed it and pinion angle at diff is 3 degrees same as stock they said so no adjustment needed
2012 Pony Pkg 3.7 convertible, MPT tuned, 4.10's, Dynotech 3.5" DS, Borla Touring axle backs, BBK 73mm TB and ceramic shorties, Whiteline sway bars and UCA/LCA with relocation brackets, BMR adj. PHB and brace, Steeda CAI, CE frame braces, Bilstein shocks, H&R race springs, SS brake lines, full HID, GT 500 gauge pod with gauges and misc. exterior upgrades
pitboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitboss View Post
I get a little drone too but its not too bad. I have borla ab and 4.10 so that all doesn't help. I can live with it. I really like it. acceleration is more effortless and fun. I have the dynotech 3.5" too. dealer installed it and pinion angle at diff is 3 degrees same as stock they said so no adjustment needed
How much did your dealership charge you for the install?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mike3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:28 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

$221 total but I had them do something else also. And the steering wheel air bag recall was done too since they had the parts. It was probably 2 hours book work at $90.00 per hour here in CA
2012 Pony Pkg 3.7 convertible, MPT tuned, 4.10's, Dynotech 3.5" DS, Borla Touring axle backs, BBK 73mm TB and ceramic shorties, Whiteline sway bars and UCA/LCA with relocation brackets, BMR adj. PHB and brace, Steeda CAI, CE frame braces, Bilstein shocks, H&R race springs, SS brake lines, full HID, GT 500 gauge pod with gauges and misc. exterior upgrades
pitboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post

Sometimes you have to take it out and rotate it 90 degrees. I've heard that helps.
This is true, I resolved a similar issue doing that, by rotating the driveshaft 180 degrees. I don't think the flange where it bolts together will line up rotating it only 90 degrees due to the bolt pattern of the flange. But anyway, rotating it to the different position resolved the issue.

(I could be remembering this wrong as it was a year or so ago, maybe it was 90. Either way, rotating it worked.)

GT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Drone from a drive shaft ?????????

I don't think so. You guys probably had the slight drone from your exhaust before you ever installed the drive shaft and really never listened for it. Now, You added a drive shaft and are listening for everything possible that a car can make.
A drive shaft may cause a vibration,
It may cause a clunk if the U-Joints are bad, ( Which is 99% rare)
A "DRONE" Never in a billion years. It just ain't gonna happen.Your just better off driving the car like you did before and stop listening for stuff that was always there but you never really tuned your ears to hear.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:09 PM   #10
Kevin.Cook

Sorry to hear that man. You can always return it and use the money towards one of these deals...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LMAO.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	190930  
Old 09-10-2015, 01:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I had a shaftmasters and it was BAD for this. I now have the DSS one and it is way better but still a slight drone, only heard though now when barely accelerating, of course I have LT headers, no cats and muffler deletes so that covers allot up lol. I have also noticed some shifter vibration noice but attribute that more to the blowfish bracket than the shaft although done at the same time.

I do know that setting the proper pinion angle is huge.

To add to ronnie post above drone is more exhaust sound but I think we are taking the same think. It is a low, rotational sound sounds like coming more to rear of car.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
My one-piece does seem to transmit vibrations more than the stock 2 piece, although I expected that; just physics since there is no flex absorbing vibration. It will also "thunk" a little louder than usual when shifting rapidly into 2nd, (doesn't thunk when shifting smoothly and normally).

However, like Ronnie says. To me, this is in no way a drone sound. If you had vibration making some kind of drone before *maybe* the shaft resonates along with it. But that's not the fault of shaft. That has something to do with your gears or your exhaust.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Why can't we post video of all our aftermarket driveshaft and let's listen and compare? I have the axle exchange like Ronnie has and I have no weird noises except the thunk when I put mine in reverse with an auto but my driveway is in inclined so that could be it.

MPT tune, Axle exchange Aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter, roush louvers, and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:58 PM   #14
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
Why can't we post video of all our aftermarket driveshaft and let's listen and compare? I have the axle exchange like Ronnie has and I have no weird noises except the thunk when I put mine in reverse with an auto but my driveway is in inclined so that could be it.

MPT tune, Axle exchange Aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, borla stype, frrp x pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, airaid cai, Jlt separator, koni orange shocks and struts, SR Springs, gt500 mounts, J&M Panhard bar, Bmr LCA, 2010 gt500 wheels, roush chin splitter, roush louvers, and RTR stripes... 😎 🚘
On my auto 2014 I USED to get a clunk when going in to reverse with the aluminum drive shaft. After I got my gears installed though, that noise is gone. Idk if the shop did something to mend it.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:41 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
On my auto 2014 I USED to get a clunk when going in to reverse with the aluminum drive shaft. After I got my gears installed though, that noise is gone. Idk if the shop did something to mend it.
I had my gears done before my driveshaft, but the clunk only happens when my car is in an inclined but in flat surface I have no clunk in reverse. Now that I have my tires replaced it's even better no more humming, turning noise..

Old 09-10-2015, 03:05 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I think this is a good explanation. My gear swap was not done 100% perfect. The root cause of the drone could be the gears, and the aluminum driveshaft could just resonate with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEvermore View Post
My one-piece does seem to transmit vibrations more than the stock 2 piece, although I expected that; just physics since there is no flex absorbing vibration. It will also "thunk" a little louder than usual when shifting rapidly into 2nd, (doesn't thunk when shifting smoothly and normally).

However, like Ronnie says. To me, this is in no way a drone sound. If you had vibration making some kind of drone before *maybe* the shaft resonates along with it. But that's not the fault of shaft. That has something to do with your gears or your exhaust.
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:09 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

It glad I'm not the only one with the weird noise when it off the gas. I have the exact same noise as the OP. I also have 4.10's and the shop said I will get more noise with the shorter gears. Definitely transmits thru the alum shaft. Mines a DSS

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 09-10-2015, 07:32 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't worry about it. A 1 piece will transmit more sound.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:39 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I think it is because the backlash was set too low. During deceleration, the pinion gear moves towards the rear end of the car, pushing the ring gear. If the backlash is too low, that will cause noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabberblue12 View Post
It glad I'm not the only one with the weird noise when it off the gas. I have the exact same noise as the OP. I also have 4.10's and the shop said I will get more noise with the shorter gears. Definitely transmits thru the alum shaft. Mines a DSS

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 09-10-2015, 08:01 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. A 1 piece will transmit more sound.
+1. I hear a bit more noise from the rear end, but have zero driveline vibrations from the superior balance of the aluminum shaft.
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:32 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I just finished installing mine yesterday and when I took it for a drive later that night, the car left very different to me. It did not take as much as it used to. The car is noticeably quieter. I still have not made up my mind if I like it or not.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:54 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Any update on this op? I hope you got your problem solved.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:02 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, it turned out that my purchased is protected by Google Trusted Stores. They helped me get my money back.

I kept all the package materials. The driveshaft showed zero signs of being used. Therefore the return process was smooth. I did pay for the return shipping, with which I was completely ok.

Quote:
Any update on this op? I hope you got your problem solved.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:17 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Wowww nice, did you get the stock ds back? And do you still have the drone with the stock?

Old 10-06-2015, 08:25 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, I had my stock ds back. No drone at all I started to appreciate the stock ds very much after this bad experience. Also keep in mind the stock ds of our 13-14 V6 is only 27 lbs or so, not much different from the aluminum driveshaft.

That said, if it were not for the noise, this would have been a keeper. It feels great whenever you think that you have a shiny beautiful ds underneath your car.

Quote:
Wowww nice, did you get the stock ds back? And do you still have the drone with the stock?

Old 10-07-2015, 06:37 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

No issues with my Axle Exchange one piece. Love it.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:31 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Glad it all worked out for you man!

On the topic of Aluminum Drive Shafts, what was everyone thought process on purchasing one?

Did you want a lighter car? Was it so you could go faster than 115mph and for longer periods? One piece is better than two piece?

Trying to wrap my head around why getting an aftermarket DS is so important if its only a few lbs. lighter than the stocks? $700-1000 depending on what the DS material is made of, thats a lot of money to try and swallow when theres a lot of other mods that could be had for that much.

2012 101a Mustang V6 M/T 6-Speed
3.7Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:51 PM   #28
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Well, To tell the truth

The Only reason for me was that I wanted one. I don't go fast, I only ran my car at the drag strip once,
It is why did I want an Airaid.
Why did I want the MMD rear panel.
Why did I want a Boss 302 strut brace.
Why did I want a Swarr rear axle brace.
Why the red caliper covers.
Why did I want Magnaflow Mufflers.

At my tender age of "39" (72) I still like to mess up a perfect out of the factory car with stuff that costs to much and definitely do not need.
*******************************************OR******************************************

Maybe it is because American Muscle puts stuff in the catalogs and web site that puts fumes in the air while your reading to hypnotize a person to do all these useless mods.

I don't know what my next MOD will be , But I can assure you that it will be something else I don't need.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:32 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7Muscle View Post

On the topic of Aluminum Drive Shafts, what was everyone thought process on purchasing one?

Did you want a lighter car? Was it so you could go faster than 115mph and for longer periods? One piece is better than two piece?

Trying to wrap my head around why getting an aftermarket DS is so important if its only a few lbs. lighter than the stocks? $700-1000 depending on what the DS material is made of, thats a lot of money to try and swallow when theres a lot of other mods that could be had for that much.
I had a bunch of money to throw out and wanted to be apart of the cool crowd that says they have a one piece aluminum driveshaft. The one piece makes me very cool now. Plus my car is smooth and steady when rolling 140 mph keeping up with the GT's. The cool crowd! πŸ˜‰πŸ‘

Old 10-07-2015, 04:55 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7Muscle View Post

Safety. I take my car to the track (road course, not drag strip) and I run with the speed limiters off.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:14 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEvermore View Post
Safety. I take my car to the track (road course, not drag strip) and I run with the speed limiters off.
I run my pony like a stripper works a dancing pole and the one piece is where its at. πŸ‘

Old 10-07-2015, 05:38 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I run my pony like a stripper works a dancing pole and the one piece is where its at. πŸ‘

Same here πŸ™Œ

IG: justaslow3.7
Harm_3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:47 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm_3.7 View Post
Same here πŸ™Œ

IG: justaslow3.7
😜lol

Old 10-07-2015, 11:04 PM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I had a bunch of money to throw out and wanted to be apart of the cool crowd that says they have a one piece aluminum driveshaft. The one piece makes me very cool now. Plus my car is smooth and steady when rolling 140 mph keeping up with the GT's. The cool crowd! πŸ˜‰πŸ‘

That's right 😎
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:42 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
That's right 😎
Hey, I don't want to be left behind! 😜

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang