What to remove as paint color match reference? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #36
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Read this entire thread. The fuel door is pretty common practice, but if you can drive it to the paint source that would work in most cases. Keep in mind that the fuel door is in a different spot on the car and could be faded more than the fenders or bumpers where the hood may stand out when placed next to these parts. The best match you are going to get is off the stock hood.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2015, 10:28 AM   #37
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Read this entire thread. The fuel door is pretty common practice, but if you can drive it to the paint source that would work in most cases. Keep in mind that the fuel door is in a different spot on the car and could be faded more than the fenders or bumpers where the hood may stand out when placed next to these parts. The best match you are going to get is off the stock hood.
My thinking too if I can take the car to the paint place...having them match off the (clean) stock hood should be as close to perfect as you can get for a match.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:18 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
My thinking too if I can take the car to the paint place...having them match off the (clean) stock hood should be as close to perfect as you can get for a match.
One would think.
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2015, 01:50 PM   #39
Registered Member

Regular

Just to update, I spoke with the paint jobber. He likes to prepare samples of the paint he's mixed, compare to the OEM part, then adjust as necessary. It's not a quick process, so fuel door it is!
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Old 09-17-2015, 06:13 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds good! Whatever it takes, you want it to match the first time. Had impact damage to front fender, bumper, scuffed hood, side mirror broke n hit door. Two trips to auto body shop. First time paint didn't match, blend was terrible! 2nd was close but they cleared all the way back to rear quarter so it was milky compared to adjacent panels as were hood n bumper compared to panels on other side. Had to take the car to a different shop and it ended up being a complete repaint. Flipping nightmare!!!
Old 09-17-2015, 08:57 PM   #41
Registered Member

Regular

^ Yeah, definitely want to do whatever I can to avoid that!

Old 09-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
Just to update, I spoke with the paint jobber. He likes to prepare samples of the paint he's mixed, compare to the OEM part, then adjust as necessary. It's not a quick process, so fuel door it is!
That's exactly what I read good paint shops do. Because there are variables that can affect the outcome of the prepared (so-called matched color) paint. Hopefully this eliminates the need to spray adjacent surfaces to blend slight differences, which is common practice.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:33 PM   #43
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
I took a chunk of the blistered paint off of my hood to check the color match on touch up paint.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:55 PM   #44
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
That's exactly what I read good paint shops do. Because there are variables that can affect the outcome of the prepared (so-called matched color) paint. Hopefully this eliminates the need to spray adjacent surfaces to blend slight differences, which is common practice.
Yeah. I'm totally down with taking a bit of extra effort/time to make sure things are done right the first time. Plus, the body shop wants to blend the fenders even less than I do...LOL.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:18 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What to remove as paint color match reference?

Dude you don't need to be doing this much work. You have a 2013, the paint isn't going to fade to the point you would think it's another shade or color. You are doing all of this work when you can easily just give them the paint code color honestly. If it was a 2005 then yes I understand but not on an almost brand new car.

2013 Premium Performance White

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripe, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows, all lights tinted

Last Mod: Bama 91 Race Tune

IG: chaznungaray

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #46
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz12 View Post
Dude you don't need to be doing this much work. You have a 2013, the paint isn't going to fade to the point you would think it's another shade or color. You are doing all of this work when you can easily just give them the paint code color honestly. If it was a 2005 then yes I understand but not on an almost brand new car.

2013 Premium Performance White

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripe, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows, all lights tinted

Last Mod: Bama 91 Race Tune

IG: chaznungaray

Not true. And even a new car using the paint code doesn't guarantee a perfect match. Sometime different brands of paints require alterations to the mix
Old 09-18-2015, 10:44 AM   #47
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Not true. And even a new car using the paint code doesn't guarantee a perfect match. Sometime different brands of paints require alterations to the mix
Yep. The paint guy told me there are at least three different variants of Grabber Blue depending on, among other things, the color of the primer underneath.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:46 AM   #48
Kevin.Cook

Good to hear you are making some sort of progress on your findings and such. I am still waiting for the body shops to fix my poor 2011.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:23 PM   #49
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Good to hear you are making some sort of progress on your findings and such. I am still waiting for the body shops to fix my poor 2011.
My fingers and toes are crossed for you. Your ordeal reminds me of this quote from Vincent in Pulp Fiction: "Don't f*** with another man's vehicle...it's just against the rules."
Old 09-18-2015, 02:41 PM   #50
Kevin.Cook

lol...and toes. I appreciate it.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:24 PM   #51
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I just got my hood back after 2.5 months of it getting painted...what a hassle. Anyway, I gave the guy who painted it my stock spoiler to match, he did a nice job.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:16 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Totally agree!
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:06 AM   #53
Registered Member

Regular

OK, fuel door is back on my car (had to replace the flimsy plastic retainer pocket, as the old one naturally broke on removal), and there should be some new hood action next week.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:33 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Can't wait to see it!
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:39 AM   #55

I have a 2012 v6 mustang and I really wanna get rid of that black plastic on the bottom and have it painted to match perfectly to the exact color of the car it's a Ingot color and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions where the best place to get it done at for a good price?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
That Stang Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:24 AM   #56
Staff

Regular
Staff

it would help if you told us what state you live in......
Old 09-21-2015, 05:26 AM   #57

California my bad lol

Old 09-21-2015, 05:48 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Uh oh better call Maaco

alterego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:52 AM   #59

Lol I thought about that but idk I'll check

Old 09-21-2015, 10:24 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

It's funny. I have talked to many owners with the painted rockers that wish they had the black ones. They tell me that it doesn't take long for the painted ones to get stone chips in them. I'm sure that there are chips in the unpainted ones but they don't show.

2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Old 09-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robostang View Post
It's funny. I have talked to many owners with the painted rockers that wish they had the black ones. They tell me that it doesn't take long for the painted ones to get stone chips in them. I'm sure that there are chips in the unpainted ones but they don't show.

The unpainted ones don't get chipped as there is nothing to chip. Wipe down with 303 Aerospace on a regular basis and they will always look brand new.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:41 AM   #62
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robostang View Post
Yeah, the painted rockers are just begging to get paint chipped. That said, I added some front mud flaps / stone guards / whatever you want to call them, and I think those helped protect my rockers from a lot of rock hits over the years.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:21 AM   #63
Registered Member

Regular

Roush side splitters and splash guards keep mine looking perfect
Old 09-21-2015, 11:26 AM   #64
Staff

Regular
Staff

having the unpainted ones I like the looks of the painted ones much better...

chips would stink though....
Old 09-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #65

Yeah I did kinda figure that I may just keep it the way it is thank you for the advice

Old 09-21-2015, 12:31 PM   #66

I may look into the splash guards though doesn't sound like a bad idea

Old 09-21-2015, 06:40 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Staying off back roads helps too.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:00 PM   #68

Region: Delaware
Send a message via AIM to zflyer2
Fuel door is what I would do. some colors like three stage metallic are a b14ch to match. That is why mine is Race Red with no metallics. did that just so matching add on parts would be easier1
zflyer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:14 AM   #69
Registered Member

Regular

Well, looks like they got the color match pretty good.

Anybody need an OEM hood with some paint bubbling but no bends/dings/dents? I'll give ya a good price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-05 17.28.26.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	440.0 KB
ID:	191947  

Old 10-05-2015, 05:23 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

It looks great! Can't wait to see it up close!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang