Mustang Evolution Forum banner

What to remove as paint color match reference?

4K views 76 replies 19 participants last post by  tym_v6 
#1 ·
So, my new fiberglass hood is on order, and the shop needs a painted piece of the car to use as a reference for computer-matching the exact color. They suggested the fuel door (which I can remove), but it looks like I'd have to drill out the "fuel pocket retainer" (basically the little black plastic trim piece around the filler neck). Not a huge deal, but was wondering if there's something else I could remove and use as a paint reference. A bolt from the engine compartment is probably too small. I can't think of anything else small and painted that's easily removed...

#5 · (Edited)
I have the Premium (and performance) packages, so the mirror cover is black and not body color. :(

#11 ·
Most body shops use the color code in the door jam, I have always given them that color code for them to paint my side scoops, window louvers, and touch up paint. It will match exact.

2013 Premium Performance White

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripe, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows, all lights tinted

Last Mod: Bama 91 Race Tune

IG: chaznungaray

#12 ·
^ Not necessarily. The paint color may have faded, batch to batch variations, etc...I'd prefer them to match the color as it is on the car

#14 ·
Well, that's helpful! :nonono: Like I said, factory paint colors can fade with time, so it's smart for them to do an exact match. If you can't appreciate that, oh well... :whistling:

Anyone else with constructive input?

#18 ·
The machine isn't in-house.

#20 · (Edited)
Yeah...a new plastic pocket is about $36...could re-use the old one but it would have holes drilled in it and the tabs can break easily.

#21 ·
When I had my spoiler painted, the shop had a digital reader/scanner to get an exact match. They weren't satisfied with the ingot silver paint code. It took them literally 20 seconds while I waited.

#23 ·
That's a better idea...let me see of I can find out from the shop.

#25 ·
Get a saw and cut a piece out of that crap hood of yours and bring it to them!!! Only kidding. Sorry. Couldn't resist.

#26 ·
Lol I was going to tell him that yesterday but he's a bit paranoid with how people here are edgy which I don't blame him. I thought about the rocket panel too but I believe there's many screws and bolts on that and also probably the dirtiest part of the car as it collects many rock chips and asphalt.

#27 ·
LOL...you guys.

Yeah, I've looked at the rocker before and there are a ton of fasteners holding it on, so it would be a real pain to remove.

#33 ·
12's are a couple screws front n rear of panel then several plastic push pins underneath. If that's a pain you must have Velcro or slip on shoes!:lol:

Good luck Tym! I agree with you on getting them a real sample and not going by code strictly. Someone already suggest dropping the oem hood off? Save them a step when it comes time for install.

#31 · (Edited)
^ Yep...the body shop is checking for me. They say they aren't sure if the paint jobber's machine is portable, but that shouldn't matter if I can just drive to it.

Will let the ME crew know how I make out.

#32 · (Edited)
Golden Opportunity!

Are you wanting to install heat extractors in your V6? Are you nervous about cutting into the hood? Why not practice on Tyms? I will let you try installing hood heat extractors on his hood. For only $75 I will let you take masking tape and drill & sawzall to the hood on my Mustang. Practice where it does not matter as practice makes perfect. Act now and if you mess up the first one Ill let you try again on the other side for only $40 more a savings of almost 50%!

Posted on behalf of Tym.......

Tym,

added bonus of getting your sample piece.

#34 ·
Are you wanting to install heat extractors in your V6? Are you nervous about cutting into the hood? Why not practice on Tyms? I will let you try installing hood heat extractors on his hood. For only $75 I will let you take masking tape and drill & sawzall to the hood on my Mustang. Practice where it does not matter as practice makes perfect. Act now and if you mess up the first one Ill let you try again on the other side for only $40 more a savings of almost 50%!

Posted on behalf of Tym.......

Tym,

added bonus of getting your sample piece.
:thumb:

#35 ·
Sawzall time! LOL. ;)

#36 ·
Read this entire thread. The fuel door is pretty common practice, but if you can drive it to the paint source that would work in most cases. Keep in mind that the fuel door is in a different spot on the car and could be faded more than the fenders or bumpers where the hood may stand out when placed next to these parts. The best match you are going to get is off the stock hood.

#37 ·
My thinking too if I can take the car to the paint place...having them match off the (clean) stock hood should be as close to perfect as you can get for a match.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.