Anyone have HIDs in their fog lights ('10-'12)? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-11-2015, 07:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Anyone have HIDs in their fog lights ('10-'12)?

Anyone here using HIDs in their fog lights on '10-'12 model years? I'm wondering if they create too much heat for the plastic fog light assemblies.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2015, 09:43 AM   #2
Lord NoMoney
Staff

Region: Texas
I run 35 watt in my fogs w/o issues so far. Mainly use them for driving lights when the suns not all the way up or down yet

2010 Grabber Blue GT
1999 Contour ES
1998 Black GT - sold
2005 Satin Silver GT - sold
2005 Satin Silver sixxer - sold
IG = @silverskoundrel
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:54 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I see you have a GT in your sig. Are those fogs plastic or metal?

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2015, 09:55 AM   #4
Lord NoMoney
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
I see you have a GT in your sig. Are those fogs plastic or metal?

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6

Oh my bad didn't see u weren't talking about a GT lol I'm pretty sure mine are all plastic

2010 Grabber Blue GT
1999 Contour ES
1998 Black GT - sold
2005 Satin Silver GT - sold
2005 Satin Silver sixxer - sold
IG = @silverskoundrel
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:19 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
They'll glare like crazy and blind other drivers, bad idea. Put LEDs in there if you want the bright/color look. Or just a real good set of halogens.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
They'll glare like crazy and blind other drivers, bad idea. Put LEDs in there if you want the bright/color look. Or just a real good set of halogens.

I think you live for these threads. Whenever I see another HID thread, I can predict that you'll be there lol

Instagram: @v6beast
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Already have LEDs. I tinted the lenses so they're not as bright as I'd like.

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 09-11-2015, 01:22 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
I think you live for these threads. Whenever I see another HID thread, I can predict that you'll be there lol

Instagram: @v6beast

Trying to save people from themselves. Also get very agitated when someone with a badly done setup is making it so I literally have a hard time seeing the road because they had to have said badly done setup and I have my kid in the car with me.

Quote:

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6

If its too dim with LEDs then untint your lights. HIDs in a reflector are a safety hazard and that is a fact. And if the LEDs aren't getting through the tint I doubt a HID would. Either that or you got some bad LEDs.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Why would you do that? Are you of those people that drives around with their Fog lights on all the time? Do you EVER consider the other people on the road, and how it blinds them making them unable to see other hazards on the road? There is a jerk around here that does this and if I ever see him parked anywhere I will express my feelings to him.

Thank god very few people are that STUPID.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Not gonna untint my fogs. A lot of times I do like to have them on. It's my choice and they are often used as DRLs in many vehicles. I've never been blinded by foglights, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there. HIDs are brighter than LED bulbs. Mine are not bad lol. Anyway, anyone else using HIDs in their fogs?

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 09-11-2015, 02:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly I have been blinded by just as many factory hids as I have been factory halogens

Sent from Rapinators trunk
parkerz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:09 PM   #12

I have oracle hid bulbs in the foglights below my bumper. I also have the colorshift halo rings on the fogs. They are not that bright. I can turn them on without the headlights and they only shoot about 15ft in front of the car . the car is really low so maybe that is a factor that they do not shine down the road, for me it was more to complete the look of the factory hid in the headlights and they all look great together when everything is on. I don't need the fogs to shine that bright only to match the heads. If I remember the fogs were about $235 installed.
10Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
Why would you do that? Are you of those people that drives around with their Fog lights on all the time? Do you EVER consider the other people on the road, and how it blinds them making them unable to see other hazards on the road? There is a jerk around here that does this and if I ever see him parked anywhere I will express my feelings to him.

Thank god very few people are that STUPID.

Here in fl you don't walk up to someone parked in a car to start trouble be careful bro seriously

Old 09-11-2015, 02:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

First of all I haven't ever walked up to someone before while they are in their car.
secondly This a$$hole has been warned about this before.
Thirdly when you flash your lights he turns on his high beam headlights and leaves them on.
fourthly I am big enough that no one gives me any ****.........

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
Old 09-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Lol I here you ... To be honest your size doesn't matter honestly... I'm just sayin bro watch your self that's all

Old 09-11-2015, 03:31 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Shelby View Post
I have oracle hid bulbs in the foglights below my bumper. I also have the colorshift halo rings on the fogs. They are not that bright. I can turn them on without the headlights and they only shoot about 15ft in front of the car . the car is really low so maybe that is a factor that they do not shine down the road, for me it was more to complete the look of the factory hid in the headlights and they all look great together when everything is on. I don't need the fogs to shine that bright only to match the heads. If I remember the fogs were about $235 installed.
Do you have the fogs that were part of the pony package (I believe)? Same as the kit that Starkey offers, is what I'm referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
First of all I haven't ever walked up to someone before while they are in their car.
secondly This a$$hole has been warned about this before.
Thirdly when you flash your lights he turns on his high beam headlights and leaves them on.
fourthly I am big enough that no one gives me any ****.........
Maybe you should stop flashing your lights at him.

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 09-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Do you have the fogs that were part of the pony package (I believe)? Same as the kit that Starkey offers, is what I'm referring to.

Maybe you should stop flashing your lights at him.

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6

Good point LOL

Old 09-11-2015, 04:58 PM   #18
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
So you are basically saying you don't care at all about the safety of others on the road when you shine light all over the road into their faces? Thats pretty much what i'm getting out of this.

Have fun in the same club as these guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rice.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	190985  

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:09 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
So you are basically saying you don't care at all about the safety of others on the road when you shine light all over the road into their faces? Thats pretty much what i'm getting out of this.

This x1000 plus 1

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 09-11-2015, 06:55 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post

My lights aren't that bright. I have tinted lenses and have NEVER been flashed by oncoming traffic.

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 09-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #21

ponie I don't know what starkey offers. my fogs are in the lower bumper oem for 2010 Shelby. I just had oracle open them up and put in the colorshift halos and while they were working I had them put the oracle fog lights. if that helps
10Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:48 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Shelby View Post
ponie I don't know what starkey offers. my fogs are in the lower bumper oem for 2010 Shelby. I just had oracle open them up and put in the colorshift halos and while they were working I had them put the oracle fog lights. if that helps
I'm not sure what a Shelby came with in 2010. Have a pic?

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 09-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I had hid installed in both sets of lenses they did a good job and I never get flashed. I've also gone and actually stood in front of my lights and they do not blind me. my fogs point slightly down in their pony package housings and the headlights always only reached out to about 20 feet which is easy to over run them and they weren't very bright stock. That's why I switched. Good luck
2012 Pony Pkg 3.7 convertible, MPT tuned, 4.10's, Dynotech 3.5" DS, Borla Touring axle backs, BBK 73mm TB and ceramic shorties, Whiteline sway bars and UCA/LCA with relocation brackets, BMR adj. PHB and brace, Steeda CAI, CE frame braces, Bilstein shocks, H&R race springs, SS brake lines, full HID, GT 500 gauge pod with gauges and misc. exterior upgrades
pitboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:10 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitboss View Post
I had hid installed in both sets of lenses they did a good job and I never get flashed. I've also gone and actually stood in front of my lights and they do not blind me. my fogs point slightly down in their pony package housings and the headlights always only reached out to about 20 feet which is easy to over run them and they weren't very bright stock. That's why I switched. Good luck
So, you had no problems with heat in the fog housings?

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 09-12-2015, 11:30 PM   #25
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
So you tinted your lens and now you're upset that the light output has suffered. Now, instead of doing the sensible thing and removing the tint, you're wanting to put tacky, blinding, ricer HIDs in there. Am I getting this right so far?

Sent from the Death Star.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:00 AM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
So you tinted your lens and now you're upset that the light output has suffered. Now, instead of doing the sensible thing and removing the tint, you're wanting to put tacky, blinding, ricer HIDs in there. Am I getting this right so far?

#logic
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:51 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No. When did I ever say that I'm "upset"? I've simply asked if HIDs create too much heat for the fog housings and I'd like to increase the output. I may or may not change them. I might switch to a different foglight setup. Just using this forum to gather info. Does that clear things up for you?

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 09-13-2015, 10:55 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So, you had no problems with heat in the fog housings?

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
No there's no issues with heat. Are you asking if the lenses are cracking or plastic housing melting or what are you precisely wanting to know about?

Btw they are both 6k light spectrum bulbs. The installer told me its not a good idea to go with anything higher in aftermarket, non oem set ups. I can see better with these lights than with the stock lighting system. Helped to avoid a possible accident a few nights ago.
2012 Pony Pkg 3.7 convertible, MPT tuned, 4.10's, Dynotech 3.5" DS, Borla Touring axle backs, BBK 73mm TB and ceramic shorties, Whiteline sway bars and UCA/LCA with relocation brackets, BMR adj. PHB and brace, Steeda CAI, CE frame braces, Bilstein shocks, H&R race springs, SS brake lines, full HID, GT 500 gauge pod with gauges and misc. exterior upgrades
Old 09-13-2015, 11:48 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No there's no issues with heat. Are you asking if the lenses are cracking or plastic housing melting or what are you precisely wanting to know about?

Btw they are both 6k light spectrum bulbs. The installer told me its not a good idea to go with anything higher in aftermarket, non oem set ups. I can see better with these lights than with the stock lighting system. Helped to avoid a possible accident a few nights ago.
Yes, just wondering if HIDs would compromise the fog housings (ie melting, cracking, etc).

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 09-13-2015, 12:29 PM   #30
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
No. When did I ever say that I'm "upset"? I've simply asked if HIDs create too much heat for the fog housings and I'd like to increase the output. I may or may not change them. I might switch to a different foglight setup. Just using this forum to gather info. Does that clear things up for you?

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Right here.

Quote:

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Right here.

That's really weird, because I don't see the word "upset" anywhere. Maybe your browser is showing you things that aren't there? Lol

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 09-14-2015, 08:56 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes, just wondering if HIDs would compromise the fog housings (ie melting, cracking, etc).

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
I've had my 6k HID fogs for almost a year and nothing's wrong with them. The lenses look fine and clear. No I haven't actually climbed under there and inspected them. Not going to but outward appearance looks good and they operate fine. I don't always turn them on but I definitely do around town since I got new chrome wheels and low profile tires. Gotta avoid big pot holes and curbs lol
Old 09-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've had my 6k HID fogs for almost a year and nothing's wrong with them. The lenses look fine and clear. No I haven't actually climbed under there and inspected them. Not going to but outward appearance looks good and they operate fine. I don't always turn them on but I definitely do around town since I got new chrome wheels and low profile tires. Gotta avoid big pot holes and curbs lol
Good deal. Thanks!

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang