Barton shifter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-11-2015, 03:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Barton shifter

What is the mechanism for making shifting more accurate for the Barton shifter?

I like my MGW, but the springs are too tight.
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2015, 05:05 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

I thought it was the shift bracket. The normal Barton one is $65 and the 2 post one is like $100 iirc.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
If I recall, you can make the spring pressure lighter on the MGW by removing the end cap(s) from the centering spring.
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2015, 05:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

They have a Barton short throw shifter as well.
Barton Industries - 2011 MUSTANG - Cincinnatus, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
I thought it was the shift bracket. The normal Barton one is $65 and the 2 post one is like $100 iirc.
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

All short throws increase shift effort.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:56 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Have the Barton and two post Barton bracket here. I was expected a smooth easy "click" into each gear. I got nice short throws that are decidedly more "deliberate". Improvement but not as smooth as I wanted however, the extra effort makes missing gears a very rare thing at least here.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Have you guys driven any Japanese sports cars?

I drove my friend's Scion tC before. The shifter is simply butter. Goes in gear so easily, even with a sucking action I don't understand why Detroit can not figure this out. Isn't USA the most innovative country? We can do better in everything else

I have a feeling that no matter how good the shifter is, the MT-82 will make the shifting feel average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton CIT View Post
Have the Barton and two post Barton bracket here. I was expected a smooth easy "click" into each gear. I got nice short throws that are decidedly more "deliberate". Improvement but not as smooth as I wanted however, the extra effort makes missing gears a very rare thing at least here.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:57 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4spd View Post
Have you guys driven any Japanese sports cars?

I drove my friend's Scion tC before. The shifter is simply butter. Goes in gear so easily, even with a sucking action I don't understand why Detroit can not figure this out. Isn't USA the most innovative country? We can do better in everything else

Not a sports car, apples and oranges
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry for the poor choice of word. tC is a coupe not a sports car.

However, let's stay on topic. Their shifter feel is better to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Not a sports car, apples and oranges
Old 09-11-2015, 09:08 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Barton shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4spd View Post
Sorry for the poor choice of word. tC is a coupe not a sports car.

However, let's stay on topic. Their shifter feel is better to me.

Your comparing a transaxle 4 banger to a mustang. Still not worth comparing. When you compromise comfort for powa you get mustang.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Good point.

How does a transaxle make it easier to shift gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Your comparing a transaxle 4 banger to a mustang. Still not worth comparing. When you compromise comfort for powa you get mustang.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang