Strut Advice? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-14-2015, 01:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Strut Advice?

Hey boys & girls,

I've had my car lowered for a couple thousand miles now. Upon installation, my front right strut was bad out of the box. By bad, I mean it squeaked 37 times a second while driving on any 0.05 degree change in the road. I got a warranty replacement sent in by Koni a few weeks later. Immediately swapped it out and like music to my ears, the squeak was gone.

Fast forward to today. I got my first service appointment at my local ford dealership for an oil change and tire rotation since lowering the car. After all was said and done, they told me that the front right strut was leaking and that I should contact the manufacturer immediately . (Yup, the replacement that they sent me).

So, here is where we stand... I can try to get a 3rd replacement from Koni (If they'll even cooperate) and hope for the best. OR, I can just swap to different struts all together.

Questions:
1. Can I ride on 2 Struts from X with 2 Shocks from Y?
2. What does anyone recommend? Based on my current experience with Koni Oranges (and lets not even mention the way they're shipped), I don't know if I want to go through the trouble of getting a 3rd one.
3. Has anyone else had this kind of experience with their Koni Oranges?

Thanks boys & girls!
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Hey boys & girls,

I've had my car lowered for a couple thousand miles now. Upon installation, my front right strut was bad out of the box. By bad, I mean it squeaked 37 times a second while driving on any 0.05 degree change in the road. I got a warranty replacement sent in by Koni a few weeks later. Immediately swapped it out and like music to my ears, the squeak was gone.

Fast forward to today. I got my first service appointment at my local ford dealership for an oil change and tire rotation since lowering the car. After all was said and done, they told me that the front right strut was leaking and that I should contact the manufacturer immediately . (Yup, the replacement that they sent me).

So, here is where we stand... I can try to get a 3rd replacement from Koni (If they'll even cooperate) and hope for the best. OR, I can just swap to different struts all together.

Questions:
1. Can I ride on 2 Struts from X with 2 Shocks from Y?
2. What does anyone recommend? Based on my current experience with Koni Oranges (and lets not even mention the way they're shipped), I don't know if I want to go through the trouble of getting a 3rd one.
3. Has anyone else had this kind of experience with their Koni Oranges?

Thanks boys & girls!
That sucks die. Maybe 3rd times a charm. Not sure it worth it unless u really like the ride it gave. Might be time to try another brand. I've heard good things about steeda. Not sure how they are in comparison to price though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
stangingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
You should ask Steeda their opinion on your first question.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2015, 05:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Might as well go for round three. Sounds to me like Koni Orange are a hit or miss. I'm running Ford Racing struts/shocks and haven't had a problem yet. Have about 5k on them

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Have you thought about getting some coilovers?

IG: justaslow3.7
Harm_3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm_3.7 View Post
Have you thought about getting some coilovers?

Have you thought about sponsoring me for that adventure? Lol

Instagram: @v6beast
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Have you thought about sponsoring me for that adventure? Lol

Instagram: @v6beast

Haha I will when I win the lottery 🙌

Harm_3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:34 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
i've been running oranges for 40k miles and they have been fantastic sounds like you've been having some bad luck... my car is lowered 2.5" on H&R Super Sport springs

Click image for larger version

Name:	koni oranges 2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	191185

Click image for larger version

Name:	koni oranges.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	191186

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:14 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011fastford View Post
i've been running oranges for 40k miles and they have been fantastic sounds like you've been having some bad luck... my car is lowered 2.5" on H&R Super Sport springs

Attachment 191185

Attachment 191186
I've been thinking about getting those same springs with my Koni oranges but I wasn't sure if the Konis could hang with that kind of drop from the springs. They're like 2 - 2.5" drop. I was thinking about swapping them out for Bilstein struts and shocks. I just got some new wheels 19x9 fronts and 19x10 rear with 35's front and rear low profile tires and there is a big gap now that my Steeda ultralights can't hide lol
2012 Pony Pkg 3.7 convertible, MPT tuned, 4.10's, Dynotech 3.5" DS, Borla Touring axle backs, BBK 73mm TB and ceramic shorties, Whiteline sway bars and UCA/LCA with relocation brackets, BMR adj. PHB and brace, Steeda CAI, CE frame braces, Bilstein shocks, H&R race springs, SS brake lines, full HID, GT 500 gauge pod with gauges and misc. exterior upgrades
pitboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:56 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
i cant imagine that some part of his suspension is unnoticeably bad in that corner that it would cause damage to a shock. my best guess is that maybe the one they sent you was a previous defect return that they quickly tested and decided was good? otherwise just bad luck.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:01 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
Might as well go for round three. Sounds to me like Koni Orange are a hit or miss. I'm running Ford Racing struts/shocks and haven't had a problem yet. Have about 5k on them
Agree. Reading reviews from different sites including AM, reveals this is not an uncommon issue with those Konis. One of the reasons I am still on the fence about buying them.
Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang