Buying a rental Mustang BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE BOUGHT ONE YOURSELF PLEASE! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-16-2015, 10:35 AM   #1

Region: Other
Buying a rental Mustang BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE BOUGHT ONE YOURSELF PLEASE!

Newbie here looking for specific instances of people who have purchased used Mustangs that were rentals. I don't care if you had a good or bad experience but only if it was a car that you owned. (Sorry about the caps in the title but I wanted to make a point)

I'm in the market for a used V6 Premium automatic convertible and have found, like most of you, that the majority of the used V6 auto convertibles were rentals at one time.

PLEASE NOTE THIS THOUGH: I have searched and read all of the old posts on this site and others and I know how the people who haven't rented one feel ("I know how rentals are driven," "I have a brother-in-law who knew somebody who drove a rental into the ground," "rented one myself and drove it into the ground," "people trash those things" " A...majority of people who rent...a sports car are going to rag it out" etc. etc.).

Thank you for the warnings but in all the searching that I have done on this site and other sites there are two types of posts (1) people who have purchased a former rental and had no problems and, (2) people who say things like "Fact is, most rental cars have been abused one way or another" without any evidence to back it up (other than a few y-t videos-I've seen them and don't need more).

So please, if you have a good or bad personal experience buying a former rental I'd be interested in hearing about it. I'd be interested in the year, engine, transmission, coupe or convertible etc.

But if you are going to tell me that all rentals have "had the snot beat out of them" I'm all set, I've read your warnings thank you and don't need them again.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2015, 10:54 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
My opinion is these cars are meant to be driven hard. I owned a rental. It didn't work out for me but I would buy another no problem. Rentals are probably maintained better than privately owned cars for the most part. It would be bad business if your rental car left people stranded lol
Old 09-16-2015, 11:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I own a previously rental 13' and never had a problem with it. There really wasn't any damage on it either. Seems like it was well maintained.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2015, 11:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
My opinion is these cars are meant to be driven hard. I owned a rental. It didn't work out for me but I would buy another no problem. Rentals are probably maintained better than privately owned cars for the most part. It would be bad business if your rental car left people stranded lol
Was there a mechanical problem with the car that you owned?
Old 09-16-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

My car was a lemon. I wouldn't base my opinion off of It though. Just a bad car overall
Old 09-16-2015, 11:47 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
In 2003 I bought a year-old former rental V6 Mustang. It was a superb car which I used for city and highway driving, including several long trips a year. I did not abuse it and kept it well maintained. It required only a few minor repairs in the 10 years I drove it.

Here in the S.F. Bay Area Mustang rental sleds are very popular, and I've never seen one being abused.

If the purchaser's intention is to hammer-down at every chance, the car will probably be worn out faster than it ever would have been as a rental.

Now I drive a '14 V-6 with Performance Package. Great car, but I really miss that nimble little '02!
Old 09-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I currently have a 2013 that was a rental for about a year. When I was doing my research I learned to just inspect is very well, if everything looks good then go for it. I have had no problems with my car. I can not tell if it was ever driven "hard" while being a rental but as far as I know it was maintained well and not abused. Now that I am the owner I take good care of it and have had no issues. It's still a pretty new car so I wouldn't expect any issues this soon but if it was abused I'm sure something would have not looked right or went wrong by now. Just make sure to inspect it really well knowing it was a rental.

2013 Premium Performance White

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripe, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows, all lights tinted

Last Mod: Bama 91 Race Tune

IG: chaznungaray

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Old 09-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #8

Region: Michigan
I have a 2011 V-6 premium convertible that began life as a rental. Purchased in FEB of 2015 with 78K miles on it. Dealer completed a compression check before purchase (would advise that on any high mileage car). It runs great, uses no oil, and was one of the cleanest used mustangs I could find for the money. Good luck on your search!
Old 09-16-2015, 01:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I bought a 2010 convertible base, 33000 miles at the time. Had no problems with it at all. Ran great and was a nice car. Sold it at 60000 miles to get a 2013 convertible fully loaded last year. I would say if you're getting a good deal on and it's in good condition go for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-16-2015, 01:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I bought a 2008 low mileage (13,764 km) daily rental a year old in 2009. Have been tinkering with it ever since and I would clearly do it again.

First day:

Now, bagged, forged, cammed and boosted:

MOTM winner May 2015 "Best mods Mustang". Please View my Garage for complete details on modifications.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:20 PM   #11

Region: Indiana
I bought a rental car (03 Taurus). When I bought it with 13,600 miles it was still in Ford warranty and looked real good. The car was very nicely maintained and the dealer was great to work with. Never had any problems with the car until many years later.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:34 PM   #12

X Rental

Hi,

I mentioned to a friend of mine, a retired Ford mechanic, that I was interested in a ex rental Mustang convertible. He told me to get one with low miles as some rental companies do not bother to get the oil changed.

So I found a 2014 Mustang LX convertible with 7069 km (4200 miles). An X rental from Enterprise rent-a-car, the dealer in a small town outside of Montreal had the registration to Enterprise, the 6-months lease from Ford, no accident, car had 2 small nicks. In Canada, the convertibles are summer cars only, so 6-months lease, then they go back to Ford. Saved 12 000 $ from the list price for a car which is like new, put about 8000 km (5000 miles)on it, very happy with it.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
I've owned my car for over a year and a half and no problem whatsoever. Point is you need to inspect the car very very well not body wise only but mainly mechanically. If don't know much about cars take someone that you know that is skilled in cars or you can hire a mechanic to inspect the car for you. Most of these cars are driven to the ground but let me tell you something they can handle a beating. I've daily driven the car through snow and hot weather and it survived like a champ, just remember to inspect the car very well and that can be an advantage to lower the price.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
https://youtu.be/AyjbmOVcbHI

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
Old 09-16-2015, 06:13 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

You know how many videos you can buy of cars being between that are sold by a private party
Old 09-16-2015, 06:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You know how many videos you can buy of cars being between that are sold by a private party
Ba ha ha! Totally agree. I say to any person who wants to buy a rental vehicle, its your money rock out.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:40 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Ba ha ha! Totally agree. I say to any person who wants to buy a rental vehicle, its your money rock out.

Man auto correct crushed me on that last post. Something along the lines of people beat these cars regardless of whether they own it or not lol
Old 09-16-2015, 08:05 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Man auto correct crushed me on that last post. Something along the lines of people beat these cars regardless of whether they own it or not lol
I totally agree but something about rental vehicles just invites people to dog the crap out of them. Neutral bomb the f out of them. Rev the RPM's up to like 5k and then drop the auto into drive from being neutral. Oh heck no man. Not me. 😉😯

Old 09-16-2015, 08:42 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
So should we put up the numerous videos of non-rental car owners that abuse their cars just as bad?
Serves no real purpose. Nor does it help the OP, whatsoever.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:52 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
So should we put up the numerous videos of non-rental car owners that abuse their cars just as bad?

I had a rental mustang in my younger days, a 2002 for the weekend and i beat the living hell of it.
Now that I own one (bought new) I drive it like a mustang, but it doesn't get a beating that rental did for the three days I had it lol.
That being said I've see some fellow mustang owners do things to their cars that I'd never do to mine!
The difference between the two is that you know that rental had at the very least a few good beatings before it goes to an owner, where as the guy that buys mine, if it ever happens, is getting a non beaten sweety.

Sent from LG G3.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I believe your incorrect on this. It does show and has a purpose. If the OP refuses to acknowledge there is a higher chance of getting a beat down pony, that's his business. I personally have no claim or interest in what others on here do with their funds or car purchases. If people on here are okay with buying a rental car then just know their is a much higher chance that car was beaten and abused especially being a performance vehicle.

Not saying 100% but its high enough chance that I personally wouldn't invest my money into it.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:11 PM   #22

On my '14 Mustang V6, I checked the tires, barely any wear, checked the serial numbers and production date on the tires to make sure the rear ones were not replaced. I also measured the wheelbase on both side. Mine was the lowest mileage on the market and it also passed a safety inspection since it was bought in Quebec and registered in Ontario. The mechanic told me the car was as good as brand new. You have to be careful and do your homework...
Old 09-16-2015, 10:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I personally have no claim or interest in what others on here do with their funds or car purchases.
So why bother to post? Perhaps you missed the part where I said that I had read it all before and didn't need to hear it again?

I even said please and thank you but it still didn't take long for you guys to start to ruin a perfectly good thread.

Quote:
But if you are going to tell me that all rentals have "had the snot beat out of them" I'm all set, I've read your warnings thank you and don't need them again.
Why don't you guys get it all out of your system

Then I can resume reading posts from people who have something positive to contribute; because frankly until you can show me people who have bought rentals and regretted it I just don't believe you.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang